20mg Methadone feeling like - NOT enough
    Anonymous Guest

Default 20mg Methadone feeling like - NOT enough

Just left a thread the other day, stating that I would be transitioning - from 105mg oxycodone - to 20mg methadone. Well, today is my 1st day on this new experiment, and the dosage of methadone doesn't seem to be enough.

So, I am wondering what the problem is. Is the equianalgesic chart TOO conservative? Is the conversion more like 30mg of methadone = 105mg oxycodone daily? Or, do I need to allow time for serum build-up in my body?

Boy, I could really use some help with this. The pain relief feels comparable. But I just feel OFF. I took the first dose at 4am & just redosed at noon.

I could really use someone with experience in this exact situation. I can't find much online. Believe it or not. Thanks in advance. - Michael

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PainPlan View Post
    Just left a thread the other day, stating that I would be transitioning - from 105mg oxycodone - to 20mg methadone. Well, today is my 1st day on this new experiment, and the dosage of methadone doesn't seem to be enough.

So, I am wondering what the problem is. Is the equianalgesic chart TOO conservative? Is the conversion more like 30mg of methadone = 105mg oxycodone daily? Or, do I need to allow time for serum build-up in my body?

Boy, I could really use some help with this. The pain relief feels comparable. But I just feel OFF. I took the first dose at 4am & just redosed at noon.

I could really use someone with experience in this exact situation. I can't find much online. Believe it or not. Thanks in advance. - Michael

Hey Michael -

Please stick with your other thread as it has all your original info attached to it. Having more than one thread going can get really confusing to the members. Just let this one go into the archives by not posting here and copy and paste your question on the other one. Thanks so much.

As long as I'm here I'll answer your question...

I was afraid 20mgs of Methadone might not be enough due to the time you've been on the Oxy and the amount you've been taking on a daily basis. I didn't want to speculate before because I wasn't 100% certain. Many things go into why it might not be enough. Everyone's metabolism is different and depends on a persons physical condition, fluid intake, height/weight, and other factors. The equalivency charts are just a guide and can be either higher or lower depending on the factors I mentioned. That's why I asked if you were prepared to up your dose of Methadone if needed, I expected the answer to be yes, you probably would need to do so.

I guess you could allow for a few days to pass on the 20mgs and see how you feel afterwards. You'll have your answer then and can decide if you want to increase your dose and by how much. There isn't much online as you found except for general speculation. The best advice comes from personal experiences of which there are few of those. There doesn't seem to be much info on those that have taken or currently tke Methadone long term for pain issues.

I'm sure you'll figure this out eventually. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Randy