Advice on Medication change. Its made me worse
    Ryan08 is offline New Member

Default Advice on Medication change. Its made me worse

Hi all,

I guess I should give a quick run down. I’m a 31 year old male from Australia. I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for around 15 years now. I was managing for a good few years but I was using marijuana to cope. My use became out of control so I decided I needed to give it up as it was just putting a lid on everything. I went to a mental health clinic for support. I finally stopped smoking weed and left the clinic feeling some what positive.

I have been out of the clinic for around 1 and a half months roughly. Since being home I have become worse.

I thought my antidepressants at the time (lexapro) weren't helping me as well as they should so I suggested a medication change to my gp. My gp called my psychiatrist and as he was going on holidays he said she could handle the change of meds. I got switched over to mirtazapine 15mg at night. As the days went by I started feeling worse. I know these meds take time to work so I kept going with them in hope I would start feeling better. Since starting and the two week mark on mirtazapine I have irrational anger, noise sensitivity, increased negative thoughts, head tightness, poor memory and concentration and some dizziness and vision disturbance. I kept telling myself that things would level out soon but they haven't. By around the 4 week mark My thoughts have become totally negative, I barely want to speak or be around anyone but I am scared of being alone and I constantly think of suicide. I got my psychiatrist appointment pushed forward as this was all worrying me. I described this all to him and he believes I have borderline personality disorder, so he has taken me off mirtazapine and back to lexapro and added seroquel morning and night.

I have gone from at least having a little hope, making plans and doing things to not wanting to leave my bed and having constant feelings of hopelessness, despair and it's like my mind constantly thinks of suicide. I don't think I really want to commit suicide but it is now just always there. I also get what I would describe a burning sensation in random parts of my body.

Before the medication change I would let anxiety get the better of me but I started to learn to challenge it and not be as scared of it but this feels different to anything I have ever experienced so I don't believe this is just purley anxiety

I guess I am looking for clarification from others who have had a similar situation. Am I right in saying that the mirtazapine wasn't agreeing with me and all of these newer feelings and sensations should subside once the lexapro kicks back in? I was not as bad until the medication changed. I know a clinic cannot totally fix you but I do feel my home environment doesn't help me that much and maybe I should push to go back at least to see if this all levels out. It's quite distressing and worrying for me.

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any replies.

TrishNeal is offline Member

I'm sorry you're having these struggles. I don't have any experience with these medications. I do have a friend who got diagnosed with BPD and he had to spend some time finding out what meds worked for him. I think it's great that you're in contact with your psychiatrist and give your GP a call directly when he's back and keep the partnership and lines of communication open. Hang in there, I think if you stick with it, it will get better! If it isn't on the right track, find a new doctor, maybe one with lots of experience with conditions like yours. Don't give up!!Trish.

Thanks for your reply Trish. I'll keep going with things. If im not feeling more normal in a week I think ill need more help.

Has anyone else had such a bad change happen when taking Mirtazapine? Or other antidepressants for that matter? The way im feeling is not normally how I feel. And the only change has been going from lexapro to mirtazapine.

TrishNeal is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan08 View Post
    Thanks for your reply Trish. I'll keep going with things. If im not feeling more normal in a week I think ill need more help.

Has anyone else had such a bad change happen when taking Mirtazapine? Or other antidepressants for that matter? The way im feeling is not normally how I feel. And the only change has been going from lexapro to mirtazapine.
    Let us know how you are in a week! Sorry I can't be more help. TN

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan08 View Post
    Hi all,

I guess I should give a quick run down. I’m a 31 year old male from Australia. I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for around 15 years now. I was managing for a good few years but I was using marijuana to cope. My use became out of control so I decided I needed to give it up as it was just putting a lid on everything. I went to a mental health clinic for support. I finally stopped smoking weed and left the clinic feeling some what positive.

I have been out of the clinic for around 1 and a half months roughly. Since being home I have become worse.

I thought my antidepressants at the time (lexapro) weren't helping me as well as they should so I suggested a medication change to my gp. My gp called my psychiatrist and as he was going on holidays he said she could handle the change of meds. I got switched over to mirtazapine 15mg at night. As the days went by I started feeling worse. I know these meds take time to work so I kept going with them in hope I would start feeling better. Since starting and the two week mark on mirtazapine I have irrational anger, noise sensitivity, increased negative thoughts, head tightness, poor memory and concentration and some dizziness and vision disturbance. I kept telling myself that things would level out soon but they haven't. By around the 4 week mark My thoughts have become totally negative, I barely want to speak or be around anyone but I am scared of being alone and I constantly think of suicide. I got my psychiatrist appointment pushed forward as this was all worrying me. I described this all to him and he believes I have borderline personality disorder, so he has taken me off mirtazapine and back to lexapro and added seroquel morning and night.

I have gone from at least having a little hope, making plans and doing things to not wanting to leave my bed and having constant feelings of hopelessness, despair and it's like my mind constantly thinks of suicide. I don't think I really want to commit suicide but it is now just always there. I also get what I would describe a burning sensation in random parts of my body.

Before the medication change I would let anxiety get the better of me but I started to learn to challenge it and not be as scared of it but this feels different to anything I have ever experienced so I don't believe this is just purley anxiety

I guess I am looking for clarification from others who have had a similar situation. Am I right in saying that the mirtazapine wasn't agreeing with me and all of these newer feelings and sensations should subside once the lexapro kicks back in? I was not as bad until the medication changed. I know a clinic cannot totally fix you but I do feel my home environment doesn't help me that much and maybe I should push to go back at least to see if this all levels out. It's quite distressing and worrying for me.

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any replies.
    Hey Ryan - welcome to the forum. I've recently left some of the same info for another member that I'm going to copy here for you! Here's a link to that other thread -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...nce-73495.html

You probably already know that antidepressants can take up to 6-8 weeks to work and that's if they work at all? Antidepressants do not work the same way for everyone, while one antidepressant may work great for some that same antidepressant could be terrible for another! It is not uncommon to feel bad/worse when starting a new antidepressant, you really need to give it at least a month to six weeks in my opinion unless you are having some really awful side effects?

Finding the right antidepressant is really a guessing game, a process of elimination? It can take trying several different antidepressants before finding the best one that works for you?

I have a recommendation for a book that you may find very helpful? It is called -
    Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain by William J. Walsh. You can read reviews on the book at Amazon.com?

I hope you feel better soon? Keep us posted? Good luck... God bless us all!

Thank you for your reply Ricky.
    I will definitely take a look at the book you have suggested.

Your right I do understand that it can take up to 6 weeks for antidepressants to take full effect. From the way I was and still am feeling I was convinced that the mirtazapine had made me feel like this. I've never felt so bad im bed ridden basically. Im off of the mirtazapine now and I guess its just a waiting game now. I just hope that these constant feelings and emotions subsuide!