• 2 Post By UncleLeo
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Wavision
  • 1 Post By thefigurehead
  • 2 Post By UncleLeo
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By DravenDomnq
  • 1 Post By UncleLeo
Anxiety Medication for Daily Use Recs 2018?
    UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member

Default Anxiety Medication for Daily Use Recs 2018?

Hey everyone - posting this on a new thread to give it a home. (My main thread is over on the Sub page).

Have slowly teased out with a therapist what seems to be continually problematic - high anxiety+some depression that can't seem to get a hold of.

Meds I've tried:

Effexor
    Cymbalta
    Zoloft
    Entire family of benzos
    Remeron
    Gabapentin

For a while Cymbalta worked really well minus the awful side effects, then stopped working.

Has anyone had success or experiences with some of the newer ones? Maybe a newer dual acting SNRI? I'm getting desperate.
    Thanks in advance. Uncle Leo hello!

Wavision is offline Member

Hey Leo

I was just prescribed celexa /citalopram for anxiety and mild depression. I've only been on it for 2 and a half weeks ago far.

On top of that I am wrapping up my sub taper, so it's hard to tell if it's working yet.

I was started on 10mg and go back in a few weeks to reassess.

I guess what I'm saying is its too early to tell if it's working and my taper situation may be throwing the results off. Plus it says it can take 4-6 weeks or more to fully work.

In also taking gabapentin strictly for comfort from the taper and jump tomorrow.

One thing I have found that works great for anxiety is etizolam. Have you heard of it or tried it? It can be bought online and is a "research chemical".

It is classified as a thienotriazolodiazepine and has worked real well for me.

I buy the 2mg pills and usually take a half at a time. They are similar to benzos, so should be taken with care.

With that said, I have taken about 100 of the 2mg pills over the past 3 months and have experienced no withdrawal when stopping.
    UncleLeo likes this.

Thanks Wavision. I want to say I also may have tried Celexa...but don't even remember at this point.

As far as for you - yeah - you really gotta give it some time for anything to work properly post sub. Obviously mine took a long long while but I was coming from a super high dose of sub. Prob still even part of the lingering anxiety. Brain still rewiring.

Will look into that etizolam...may be good for emergency type situations...hard to know why places to trust online...can you write out which one you used without using any links or whatever so that it should post...thanx. Hope everyone has a good day.

GoodDaysAhead is offline Member

Have you heard of (Elavil) Amitriptyline. It’s a SNRI tricyclic antidepressant. It has fairly good reviews on certain sites which I guess I’m not allowed to name on here. Its supposed to take 2-6 weeks to fully work, but better sleep is an immediate effect. I, myself have thought about trying this one, as still dealing with some issues. There are also a few new ones that are in the final stages and are supposed to be released by the end of the year. This one here is supposed to be safer than a lot of other ones on the market and is fairly cheap if you don’t have insurance. I’ll look into some more options when I get some time.
    Lvg nghtmare, UncleLeo and Catrina like this.

Thank you Good Days! I see my p-doc tomorrow and they never know what they're doing so it's always better to be prepared.

That one sounds worthy of discussing with him. I know what it felt like when the Cymbalta was working...and what's happening now ain't that. It's taken me a while to realize and remember...trying to stay hopeful.
    Catrina and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLeo View Post
    Thank you Good Days! I see my p-doc tomorrow and they never know what they're doing so it's always better to be prepared.

That one sounds worthy of discussing with him. I know what it felt like when the Cymbalta was working...and what's happening now ain't that. It's taken me a while to realize and remember...trying to stay hopeful.
    Yes, Leo. Talk to your doc about the amitryptaline (that spelling is wrong . I had that many years ago and completely forgot about it. Your doctor, I'm sure, won't have any problem giving that a whirl. From my understanding, it's pretty far down on the list of these kinds of medication without troublesome side effects. I don't think I took it long enough to see much of a difference but it did help a bit with sleep. Worth at least discussing.

Peace,

Cat
    UncleLeo likes this.

Wavision is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLeo View Post
    Thanks Wavision. I want to say I also may have tried Celexa...but don't even remember at this point.

As far as for you - yeah - you really gotta give it some time for anything to work properly post sub. Obviously mine took a long long while but I was coming from a super high dose of sub. Prob still even part of the lingering anxiety. Brain still rewiring.

Will look into that etizolam...may be good for emergency type situations...hard to know why places to trust online...can you write out which one you used without using any links or whatever so that it should post...thanx. Hope everyone has a good day.
    Drc
    Direct

Hope you have a good day today.
    UncleLeo likes this.

thefigurehead is offline Member

Hi UncleLeo -

I have taken a SNRI called Pristiq for many years. It is nice because it has a reputation for low side effects. It comes in generic, too. So you can save a little money. I have heard Zoloft, Celexa and the others have a high incidence of side effects, including difficulty in tapering off, among other things.

Before Pristiq, I took Zoloft, which was a disaster. All the bad side effects and not much relief fro anxiety. You just need to try out different meds and find one that fits your mental and physical side of things.

Good luck at the doc today. I hope you find some relief.
    UncleLeo likes this.

OK... so researched and then discussed diff options. So Pristiq is just synthetic Effexor. Both SNRI's. But going to increase by 50%.

Going to try an increase in the Remeron at bedtime from 15mg to 30.

Also new and hopefully someone has experience with? Trazedone?? Anyone? For sleep apparently.

On plus side - have reduced my Clonazepam from 3mg to 1mg very slowly over last 6 months. Gonna stay at 1mg for stability.

Other treatments:

Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    DLPA
    Tumeric
    BCAA's
    Fancy rip off green juice

Yoga daily
    Meditation daily
    Nature hikes and runs trying to increase to more than 1-2 times a week as weather improves

Not sure if any of this is even helping or hurting me at this point. Hard to not feel broken listing all that stuff out. Maybe I'm just exhausted I dunno...
    Catrina and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefigurehead View Post
    Hi UncleLeo -

I have taken a SNRI called Pristiq for many years. It is nice because it has a reputation for low side effects. It comes in generic, too. So you can save a little money. I have heard Zoloft, Celexa and the others have a high incidence of side effects, including difficulty in tapering off, among other things.

Before Pristiq, I took Zoloft, which was a disaster. All the bad side effects and not much relief fro anxiety. You just need to try out different meds and find one that fits your mental and physical side of things.

Good luck at the doc today. I hope you find some relief.
    "Fancy rip off green juice" You're killing me! Yes. I've used trazadone in the past for sleep. It's harmless enough. Did it induce sleep? Sometimes but sometimes not. If it doesn't work at first, keep trying and if it still isn't working your doctor can probably increase the dose. How much did he prescribe? Not that I remember how much I was given. It was a long time ago.

You're not broken. You're just trying to figure it all out and you will.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare and UncleLeo like this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey UncleLeo, caught up with your main thread too, but figured I'd post here regarding the meds. I was on Trazadone for quite a while, and M still is on it. Seems to help her sleep, and when I was on it the doctor had me taking half a 50mg tab 4 times a day for anxiety. Seemed to help a bit, and taking it in such small doses didn't make me too tired.

Another med they just put M on for anxiety is Hydroxyzine. It's basically an antihistamine, but also has shown some benefits for anxiety. She only takes it at night because it does make her tired, but now that she's been on it for a while does think it's helping her. It's nothing like a benzo which she didn't want to go back on, so wanted to share that with you.

She was on Remeron for a bit, but was causing some really bad side effects for her. Basically turned her into a zombie and caused some other lack of energies as well. They upped her dose of Paxil which in combination with the Hydroxyzine seems to really be the right combination for her.

Just wanted to share our experiences here, and wish you well. Know you're having ups and downs, but you're always in my thoughts my friend...be well!!

Thanks Draven! Just finally saw this. Much appreciated.

So been taking the Trazadone for a couple weeks now...at first it seemed to work pretty well. But my body adjusted pretty quickly and the 3am internal alarm clock returned...I could then eventually fall back asleep - but it was super super weird.

It was like a "half-sleep" thing if that makes any sense to anyone - where you're asleep because you're dreaming but I could literally get up and write down my entire dreams of those few more hours because I'm so in and out of sleep. Very bizarre. And then I'd be very very groggy all day many days...

Last night I finally just didn't take the Traz and slept so-so I suppose. We'll see how I feel as the day goes on...thanx!
    DravenDomnq likes this.