Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bugaboo9
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Ativan question
    Bugaboo9 is offline New Member

Default Ativan question

Just began 1mg of Ativan 2-3 times a day to treat baseline high anxiety. Medication for Anxiety and Ptsd is new to me so I have quite a few questions. Currently also on Prozac 20mg once a day.

Ativan....can it be responsibly used long term? If not, what other longer term options are there? Tried Buspar (I know, different class of drug) before this and it made the anxiett and panic attacks unbelievably worse so I quit that. Don't want to skip around using all sorts of different meds but know I may have to to find the right one. How long does it take to begin working and to quit? What are the downsides to Ativan? Is there another that works similarly but doesn't have the same downsides? How high can a dose go safely while being effective if one begins building a resistance to it....in other words, what's it's "ceiling"? What's the process of getting off of it and onto a different Benzo? Anything else I should think of or look into and be aware of?
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bugaboo9 View Post
    Just began 1mg of Ativan 2-3 times a day to treat baseline high anxiety. Medication for Anxiety and Ptsd is new to me so I have quite a few questions. Currently also on Prozac 20mg once a day.

Ativan....can it be responsibly used long term? If not, what other longer term options are there? Tried Buspar (I know, different class of drug) before this and it made the anxiett and panic attacks unbelievably worse so I quit that. Don't want to skip around using all sorts of different meds but know I may have to to find the right one. How long does it take to begin working and to quit? What are the downsides to Ativan? Is there another that works similarly but doesn't have the same downsides? How high can a dose go safely while being effective if one begins building a resistance to it....in other words, what's it's "ceiling"? What's the process of getting off of it and onto a different Benzo? Anything else I should think of or look into and be aware of?
    Ativan and any other benzo are not like antidepressants that need time to build in your system before you'll feel a difference. Ativan is a benzo and is prescribed usually to take as needed (not to exceed ??/day). Any benefit you get from them in terms of controlling your anxiety is immediate. If they help, they help and if they don't, they won't. The half life is relatively short but the danger of becoming addicted is high. Most doctors won't or don't like to prescribe any benzo long term and if you use them everyday, it is likely that you'll begin to grow tolerant and need a higher dose or a different benzo.

A benzo is a benzo is a benzo. The safer thing to do is to find an SSRI that is effective for you. Once you find the right one, it will keep you more balanced and even. Benzo's will provide immediate relief for an anxiety attack but they are not the answer long term. You will be apt to have more ups and downs as opposed to an SSRI providing continued relief.

Be careful with them! There are better choices. It's hard when you have to keep trying different ones until you find the one that will work for you but in the end it'll be worth it. Good luck.

Peace,

Cat
    Autumnhopes likes this.