Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lago123
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Chills after 30 days? Advice please.
    lago123 is offline New Member

Default Chills after 30 days? Advice please.

Hello everyone, so this forum has been a huge help in the past and recently. I am at a loss as far as what is going on now and would appreciate some advice.
    Feburary 2017 I jumped off a 3 year use of suboxone at 2-4mg a day. I tapered quickly over 3 weeks and jumped. I dealt with the pain and after about a month and a half my physical symptoms were finally gone. I completely had no cravings after 6 months and was dead set on never using again. During August, I was dealing with some intense pain from my IC symptoms and fell off. I ended up taking 30mg of roxicodone for about a month. I decided I would rather deal with the pain from my IC instead of being on pills again so I jumped off. I thought it would be fairly quick and easy but I was wrong. It has been 34 days clean now and I still get the chills only when I touch certain parts of my body and if the room is cold. Randomly I get hot flashes and sweaty hands as well.
    I would like to know if I am possibly withdrawing the same way I did when getting of the subs because the last time I had to detox was off of subs and it lasted pretty long. Is this normal? Or is it possible something else is going on? I don't have any other symptoms and I have a ton of energy and sleep okay.
    Catrina and LayBak like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by lago123 View Post
    Hello everyone, so this forum has been a huge help in the past and recently. I am at a loss as far as what is going on now and would appreciate some advice.
    Feburary 2017 I jumped off a 3 year use of suboxone at 2-4mg a day. I tapered quickly over 3 weeks and jumped. I dealt with the pain and after about a month and a half my physical symptoms were finally gone. I completely had no cravings after 6 months and was dead set on never using again. During August, I was dealing with some intense pain from my IC symptoms and fell off. I ended up taking 30mg of roxicodone for about a month. I decided I would rather deal with the pain from my IC instead of being on pills again so I jumped off. I thought it would be fairly quick and easy but I was wrong. It has been 34 days clean now and I still get the chills only when I touch certain parts of my body and if the room is cold. Randomly I get hot flashes and sweaty hands as well.
    I would like to know if I am possibly withdrawing the same way I did when getting of the subs because the last time I had to detox was off of subs and it lasted pretty long. Is this normal? Or is it possible something else is going on? I don't have any other symptoms and I have a ton of energy and sleep okay.
    No worries. This is typical. Our body systems get messed up with opiates and that includes our endocrine system that regulates our body functions including temperature control. It'll level out but just needs time. Thankfully, this appears to be the one persistent symptom for you so push on through and it will improve gradually. I know how uncomfortable this can be. I'm also certain that this detox from a month of taking the roxi isn't/won't be nearly as bad as when you jumped from that much sub. AND that is a big dose of sub from which you had jumped so congratulations on that. It couldn't have been easy. Having made it through that is a strong testament to your commitment and desire to maintain long term sobriety.

Best wishes and post again to let us know how you're doing. This Forum is a wonderful place to get support and advice. Log in and you'll be confiding in and trusting a simply incredible group of people who know exactly what you've gone through and are still experiencing. Some are a few steps ahead of you, some are a few steps behind you, and some are walking right there by your side. Welcome!

Peace,

Cat
    davepeerson likes this.

LayBak is offline New Member

Hey lago, has this been persistant over the 34 days or has it just been happening the last few days? Do you live in the north like I do and maybe a result of season change? Or could this be because of PAWS which seems to show up around the 30 60 90 180 365 days (and so on) in sobriety? The effects of substances we use obviously have a deep affect on our brains and bodies. I would assume all opiates have been removed from your body for some time now and this maybe just the way it is for the short term. I realized a senory overload affect just switching from H to a lower dose of Suboxone. It seems as the opiates dull every thing in our lives and when we come off of them everything is brand new. I remember driving to work early one morning after H detox and the sun was soooooo bright like nothing before. Also music had a new sound, food had a diff taste and so on. So these chills and sweats you feel could be some sort of sensory thing your body didnt need to deal with while you were on the opiates. Either way, im sure its more managable at day 34 than day 4. Find the positive with whats going on now, we as addidcts tend to be so negative that we often forget how bad it was in active addiction or going thru detox. You made it thru the worse so far, you did that, you can deal with this. Good luck!

lago123 is offline New Member

Hey Catrina, thank you very much! Getting off the sub was horrible. I am so mad that I took anything again for such a period of time knowing how I felt for those 2 months getting off of it. I know that I will eventually go back to normal, but sometimes I need a reminder. I get worried because there is a weird pattern were I will feel great for 3 days and then slowly get worse over the next 4. And after that it will cycle again to 3 good days. I just feel like I'm in a loop and it gets discouraging to the point were I want to take something to feel better. I am at a point where I can talk myself out of it, because I do not want to go through this ever again.

Laybak, I just went through day 35 and today was actually worse. It is only the chills and hot flashes that are bothering me, but I would keep getting happy thinking that I'm getting better and then I have a bad few days. I don't know if it is PAWS because I jumped off of the subs in February. By April I was doing amazing and was hiking and working out almost everyday for the next 5 or so months. By August I had slipped up and started taking 30mg of roxicodone 1-2 times a day for pain. I noticed I was taking it everyday after a month and stopped as fast as I could. I have interstitial cystitis and sometimes the pain just sucks. Anyways I stopped right around Labor Day and for the first 3-4 days couldn't leave my bed. After that it has just been the chills everyday for the last few weeks. It feels like they are getting better but soooooo slowly. Do you believe it is possible that the short relapse on the roxicodone could have just reset something with the Suboxone withdrawal since I wasn't clean for a long enough time? The withdrawals this past month are no were near as bad as the drawn out sub withdrawal, but I have never had this drawn out time withdrawing from roxi.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Good Morning!

I don't think what you're going thru has anything to do with PAWS. I know that this is mentioned frequently but the reality is that is is much more rare than most people believe. What you are experiencing, I believe is just the typical things that most of us go through for a while after the acute detox and it will get better. You're right, though. It's so gradual that it's sometimes difficult to notice any improvement at all. In addition, when we do get a few of those good days we so want to believe that we've finally turned that last corner and the good days will be much more consistent. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, I also have to believe that this has not a thing to do with the fact that you used subs. That was months ago so you're just rebounding from having used the roxi.

Keep hanging tough and this will pass. It always, ALWAYS passes and is just a matter of time. We're all somewhat different. Keep your chin up and enjoy the good days, You'll soon get more and more of them and less and less of the not-so-good days. No turning back now for sure! You've come way too far and you're going to make it the entire way. Have I asked you if you are planning on trying meetings? I know., I know, None of us want to think about that but all you have to do is walk thru the doors and there'll be as much support as you could possibly wish for. Finding a sponsor is going to help you a lot too. Sometimes in a weak moment, all we have to do is pick up the phone and talk to someone and that moment will pass and you'll find another dose of motivation. I also say to try to arrive at a meeting a little early and offer to help set up the coffee and/or the room. No one is going to force you to open up and will be willing to wait until you are ready but simple chatting is a good ice breaker.. For starters, just listen. Someone is bound to approach you and try to engage you. You can also stay after the meeting to help to clean up. This just helps to break the ice and will give you an opportunity to begin to meet others who will know exactly what you're going through. Please at least consider it. If the first meeting you go to isn't a fit, no worries. Look online for another meeting and try that one. Don't give up. Sometimes it just takes trying more than one meeting before you find one where you feel like you fit. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. We can try and white knuckle this recovery stuff but there's no reason to do that when help is right there just for asking.

Peace,

Cat