coming of codeine
    hk82 is offline New Member

Default coming of codeine

I am on my second day of codeine withdrawal and have had all the withdrawal symptoms apart from diarrhoea, does this mean I have got away with it? Or am I deluding myself and its still to come? Worried as back to work tomorrow and don't want it to come on suddenly,has any experienced withdrawals without getting diarrhoea?

Elcey is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by hk82 View Post
    I am on my second day of codeine withdrawal and have had all the withdrawal symptoms apart from diarrhoea, does this mean I have got away with it? Or am I deluding myself and its still to come? Worried as back to work tomorrow and don't want it to come on suddenly,has any experienced withdrawals without getting diarrhoea?
    Hi HK, good on you for doing this. For myself, I cold turkeyed many many times and usually had diarrhea but then the last 2 times, I didn't at all. Off 4 weeks now and none to date. We're all different remember and a lot will depend I think on how much codeine you were taking and for how long. Mine was strictly codeine as well, so we're on the same page. T3's was what I took for I forget, but I think at least 7 years. Last 2 or 3 years, I had to withdraw every single month b/c of my abusing them terribly.

I commend you for what you're doing. And you CAN do it. I'd suggest you get yourself some Imodium (I think in England they call it loperamide??). Others will correct if I'm wrong on that. I never ever suffered nausea (only when I was abusing). Got hot/cold flashes, sweats for a couple of weeks, and definitely some restless leg and insomnia troubles. Is there any way you could take a couple/three days off work? On the other hand, if you get the Imodium, working might keep your mind off it all. You'll probably be tired, but everyone gets that way so don't let it scare you. And I wouldn't take the Imodium unless you started having tummy troubles, it actually works pretty fast.

There's tons of advice on here for restless legs (Hylands Restful Legs can be a godsend) and other stuff. Look around and keep posting. I for sure will be wondering how you're making out. If you've questions, ask! Might take a little bit to get an answer sometimes, but I'll try and watch for your posts for sure. There aren't that many on here who talk about coming off codeine specifically (although it's really just another form of opiate). Actually we're kind of lucky cause we're at the lower end of the opiate spectrum - although it surely doesn't feel that way when your withdrawing.

I'm curious about your doses/length of time using, etc. and will be watching your progress. Come along for the ride - bumpy sometimes, but so worth it. Try and get some rest tonight and again, if you possibly can get a couple days off, it may make you more comfortable.

For now, Elcey