Coming off of methadone......
    BSHANK25 is offline New Member

Default Coming off of methadone......

Hi guys!!! I am new to this, but not new to the running and gunning!!! With that being said, I have been an IV user for about 8 years, and finally and thankfully called it quits. Of course my smart thinking was to go to a methadone clinic. Now from jump street I knew that I did not want to be on it forever, so therefore I went only up to 95 mg. It did what it needed to do, it saved me from a needle in my arm. But the side effects, such as NO SEX DRIVE (I am 28 and married, so NO GOOD), EXCESSIVE SWEATING, AND GAINED LITERALLY 50 LBS!!!!!

So here it is, I started at the clinic on 1/10/2017, I have been on 95mg for a few months, and I am done! I do not want to be on it anymore. They want to taper me 2mg per week!!! I feel as this will take me forever to get off.

Can someone please give me some help, on what to tell them I want to taper, I want off this stuff for ever!! Please and thank you everyone for the help!!!!

BSHANK25 is offline New Member

Default Please help

Can someone please help me with my tapering i am scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!!!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BSHANK25 View Post
    Hi guys!!! I am new to this, but not new to the running and gunning!!! With that being said, I have been an IV user for about 8 years, and finally and thankfully called it quits. Of course my smart thinking was to go to a methadone clinic. Now from jump street I knew that I did not want to be on it forever, so therefore I went only up to 95 mg. It did what it needed to do, it saved me from a needle in my arm. But the side effects, such as NO SEX DRIVE (I am 28 and married, so NO GOOD), EXCESSIVE SWEATING, AND GAINED LITERALLY 50 LBS!!!!!

So here it is, I started at the clinic on 1/10/2017, I have been on 95mg for a few months, and I am done! I do not want to be on it anymore. They want to taper me 2mg per week!!! I feel as this will take me forever to get off.

Can someone please give me some help, on what to tell them I want to taper, I want off this stuff for ever!! Please and thank you everyone for the help!!!!
    BSHANK25, welcome to the forum. Sorry to say but tapering 2mg/week is about right. Tapering will become even slower the lower you get in dosage! Methadone tapering is an extremely slow process, it is not something you want to rush or you will experience unnecessary discomfort throughout the entire taper process! Basically you would taper all the way down to zero, obviously you can see how long this process will take?

Another option that a few members here have done is taper the methadone down to 30mg then make the switch to Suboxone using Robert's sub therapy/taper plan? Suboxone is much easier and faster to taper than methadone!

Randy has successfully tapered methadone and made the switch to Suboxone. He then used Robert's sub therapy/taper plan to get off the subs, he has been clean off all substances for three years! You can leave him a post on his thread, I'm certain he will help and advise you when he gets a chance to?

Here's a link to Randy's thread - https://www.drugs.com/forum/need-tal...ump-65786.html

I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted? Take care... God bless us all!