Daughter With Darvocet Addiction
    distressed mom is offline New Member

Default Daughter With Darvocet Addiction

I have an adult daughter (age 40) who is addicted to darvocet. She is a [u]</u>school teacher[u]</u> who makes it through the day (sometimes) only to go home, succumb to pills and pass out in bed. This leaves her two children, ages 10 and 12 to fend for themselves for the next two to three hours while she sleeps it off. She forbids the children from calling me while she sleeps -- even to help with homework. The 12 year old often prepares dinner. This has been going on for about 2 years and sometimes seems better and then gets worse again. Her husband is out of town working most of the time. How do I get her to wake up to what she is doing to herself and her children? We have had numerous talks -- and I have talked to the doctor who prescribes it -- to no avail. She is so thin and frail and guant looking. Her father and I have told her that the next time we can't wake her up we will take her to the emergency room and declare overdose. She says this will cost her job -- but I am afraid it will cost her life. The more I persist the more she withdraws. [u]Please someone, how can I help her?</u>

ANT
    ANT is offline New Member

My husband is going through the same thing you are, with me. He has found some literature very helful. He has a book called Getting your loved one Sober, alternatives to nagging,pleading & threating. It is by Robert J. Meyers. We got it out at Borders. It has been very helpful to him. And I can say since he has read it, he is more understanding of my addiction, and that helps us to talk about it with out me feeling guilty and horrible about myself. Shame is the worst feeling for me. I want to be a better mother as I am sure your daughter does, but the evil pill has a hold over me . I do not even like to take it anymore, but NEED it to feel NORMAL. Educating yourself about the drug and the addiction will be helpful for you, your husband and grandchildren to better understand what she is going through. Good Luck.

GOD BLESS THE USA

trecrop is offline Member

Have you talked to her husband about this? I'm sure he would not appreciate what is going on with the kids. That is simply not acceptable. And her doctor...is he the only one that is prescribing these for her or is she getting them in several places?

Laurensmumma is offline New Member

Unfortunately she has got to "want" to quit on her own to stop the using. No matter how much nagging one does to a user it will only make it worse. Like I said only "she" can make "herself" better.

Heaven forbid this happens but something drastic may have to happen to get her to stop. Like I said "HEAVEN FORBID"

Myki is offline Junior Member

Unfortunately as a grandmother you may need to give your daughter a wake up call. She has chosen drugs over her childrens welfare..do you? Do you want on your conscious harm coming to them from her being drugged up and catching the house on fire?Harsh possibilities I know but I worked as pediatric nurse for 15 years..its horrible to wrap a child who died from an accident due to something as treatable as a parents addiction. Threaten her with calling social services...dont let your fear of her hating you stop you..or you may live with the regret the rest of your life. She can not lose her job for drug addiction if she goes willingly into detox..that is a federal law against discrimination.If an accident occurs because of her drug addition or they do a random school drug test on teachers..she will..and possible her teaching license. Drug addiction or any addiction is a horrible thing for a person and you should feel compasion for them..but dont enable them to keep their addiction...and don't give up trying.Harsh reply I know but too many people back away from involvement..and where children are concerned..they should be your number one priority. May wake daddy up to what I am sure he is aware of on some level and take action..could save your daughters life.