• 2 Post By nyr199435
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By nyr199435
  • 1 Post By nyr199435
Day 1 of Suboxone Withdrawal
    nyr199435 is offline New Member

Default Day 1 of Suboxone Withdrawal

Hey everybody. Saw the extensive amount of posts on here and figured instead of internalizing I'd reach out.

Brief history: originally I was a weed smoker, then pill-form opioid user, and when that became too expensive I switched to the H word. Went in to rehab, got on Subs, fast-forward 7 years. "Sober" since April 2010 with no desire to use or drink. Just the Subs are left. In that time I've come a LONG way, but have also dealt with quite a lot of tragedy (not the least of which being my father passing away from addiction).

Originally I was on 8 mg. Tapered down to 2 mg about two years ago, then decided enough was enough recently. Tapered down to 1 mg (I didn't know people actually could go lower than that), and then stopped yesterday. Today actually is not bad. I slept almost a full 8 hours last night. I'm uncomfortable for sure (restless leg, yawning a lot, intermittently cold, no appetite, etc.), but I'm okay so far. Showed up to work today and I'm performing alright.

That said, last night I got REALLY sad. Like outright sobbing about stuff that happened the past 7 years that I think the Subs helped keep buried. Just 6 hours of consecutive crying until I fell asleep.

From what I'm reading on here, I'm both encouraged and terrified. Apparently 1 mg is a lot to just stop and I should've taken it slower. And apparently the worst is yet to come. But I'm committed to this. Calling my prescriber and making an appointment feels like defeat. Almost like I'm hopping in to the car to go meet the dopeman on the corner in the middle of the night. I'm done with that phase of my life, it's time to put it to bed. The Subs are the last tie to that past.

So scale of 1-10, how scared should I be? Anybody have any recommendations? Gonna talk to my psychiatrist (who's very reputable and a good dude) and see what he says. Is it a good sign that I'm actually okay Day 1? Or should I expect disaster to set in when I try to go to sleep tonight?

FYI: I CANNOT take any more time off work. Thanks in advance!
    Catrina and davepeerson like this.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
    Hey everybody. Saw the extensive amount of posts on here and figured instead of internalizing I'd reach out.

Brief history: originally I was a weed smoker, then pill-form opioid user, and when that became too expensive I switched to the H word. Went in to rehab, got on Subs, fast-forward 7 years. "Sober" since April 2010 with no desire to use or drink. Just the Subs are left. In that time I've come a LONG way, but have also dealt with quite a lot of tragedy (not the least of which being my father passing away from addiction).

Originally I was on 8 mg. Tapered down to 2 mg about two years ago, then decided enough was enough recently. Tapered down to 1 mg (I didn't know people actually could go lower than that), and then stopped yesterday. Today actually is not bad. I slept almost a full 8 hours last night. I'm uncomfortable for sure (restless leg, yawning a lot, intermittently cold, no appetite, etc.), but I'm okay so far. Showed up to work today and I'm performing alright.

That said, last night I got REALLY sad. Like outright sobbing about stuff that happened the past 7 years that I think the Subs helped keep buried. Just 6 hours of consecutive crying until I fell asleep.

From what I'm reading on here, I'm both encouraged and terrified. Apparently 1 mg is a lot to just stop and I should've taken it slower. And apparently the worst is yet to come. But I'm committed to this. Calling my prescriber and making an appointment feels like defeat. Almost like I'm hopping in to the car to go meet the dopeman on the corner in the middle of the night. I'm done with that phase of my life, it's time to put it to bed. The Subs are the last tie to that past.

So scale of 1-10, how scared should I be? Anybody have any recommendations? Gonna talk to my psychiatrist (who's very reputable and a good dude) and see what he says. Is it a good sign that I'm actually okay Day 1? Or should I expect disaster to set in when I try to go to sleep tonight?

FYI: I CANNOT take any more time off work. Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the forum. 1mg is still alot of sub to jump from. Because of subs long half-life and what's built up in your system expect withdrawals to start around 2-3 days out from your last dose?

The sub therapy/taper plan that is used here has people taper down to .25mg/day or less before making their final jump, the plan also recommends a skip day process at the end of the taper as well. Here's a link to Robert's sub therapy/taper plan - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

You can certainly stay the course, people have jumped from much higher than 1mg and made it through? I personally may favor the idea of getting back on the subs and following Robert's sub plan to taper down further? You said you have been on subs for 7 years, that is a long time to be on subs and you may have a harder time with the detox than someone who has been on subs for a shorter period of time? Everybody is different though, you may not have too much discomfort so I guess you can wait another day or two and see how you feel? If the withdrawals are too much then I would get back on the subs and taper further? Others will be by to offer their advice and/or support as well so keep checking back? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-06-2017 at 01:09 PM.
    davepeerson likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome!

I totally agree with Ricky. Especially because you said you can't take anymore time off from work, I think you'd be better off going to see your doctor and follow Robert's Plan to taper down to .25mg/day or lower. One more script is all you'll need. I do understand that you don't want to do this and you are ready to be done. Congratulations on that!! But the question that begs to be answered is, at what cost? Get out of your own head on this because there is absolutely no sense in making this harder than it needs to be.

Just like Ricky said, you've been on subs for a very long time and so it's entirely possible that the worst is yet to come. Who knows? Maybe you'll be OK but I'd get an appointment and if it does turn out that you can handle things, you can always cancel it. At least you'll have the option. After having taken no subs for a few days, you should slowly reinduct because by that time you may need less than the 1mg to start. Wait until you are well into withdrawal and then begin by taking a .25mg dose and wait a full hour to give it a chance to take full effect. Then add an additional .25mg once an hour until you are stable (little to no symptoms). That will be your daily dose. I know it probably makes sense to restart the subs at 1mg where you left off or even .5mg but if you take it very slowly like that which is suggested, you'll find the lowest effective dose and that's where you want to be so that the length of this final stretch is as short as possible. Stay at that dose for around 4 days and then you can begin to reduce by 25%. If you are able to follow the Plan and are able to reduce every fourth or fifth day, you'll be able to jump in just a few weeks with a much softer landing.

If you decide to try and hang on and stay quit now, most of the symptoms that you'll experience are going to hang around for a while. Because of the long half life of the subs and the length of time you've been taking them, you might be struggling with them for as long as it would take you to get back on the subs and taper correctly. Know what I mean? It just would make more sense to continue with your taper diligently and in no time you'll be done without as much fall out.

Keep posting!

Peace,

Cat
    davepeerson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. 1mg is still alot of sub to jump from. Because of subs long half-life and what's built up in your system expect withdrawals to start around 2-3 days out from your last dose?

The sub therapy/taper plan that is used here has people taper down to .25mg/day or less before making their final jump, the plan also recommends a skip day process at the end of the taper as well. Here's a link to Robert's sub therapy/taper plan - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

You can certainly stay the course, people have jumped from much higher than 1mg and made it through? I personally may favor the idea of getting back on the subs and following Robert's sub plan to taper down further? You said you have been on subs for 7 years, that is a long time to be on subs and you may have a harder time with the detox than someone who has been on subs for a shorter period of time? Everybody is different though, you may not have too much discomfort so I guess you can wait another day or two and see how you feel? If the withdrawals are too much then I would get back on the subs and taper further? Others will be by to offer their advice and/or support as well so keep checking back? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Welcome!

I totally agree with Ricky. Especially because you said you can't take anymore time off from work, I think you'd be better off going to see your doctor and follow Robert's Plan to taper down to .25mg/day or lower. One more script is all you'll need. I do understand that you don't want to do this and you are ready to be done. Congratulations on that!! But the question that begs to be answered is, at what cost? Get out of your own head on this because there is absolutely no sense in making this harder than it needs to be.

Just like Ricky said, you've been on subs for a very long time and so it's entirely possible that the worst is yet to come. Who knows? Maybe you'll be OK but I'd get an appointment and if it does turn out that you can handle things, you can always cancel it. At least you'll have the option. After having taken no subs for a few days, you should slowly reinduct because by that time you may need less than the 1mg to start. Wait until you are well into withdrawal and then begin by taking a .25mg dose and wait a full hour to give it a chance to take full effect. Then add an additional .25mg once an hour until you are stable (little to no symptoms). That will be your daily dose. I know it probably makes sense to restart the subs at 1mg where you left off or even .5mg but if you take it very slowly like that which is suggested, you'll find the lowest effective dose and that's where you want to be so that the length of this final stretch is as short as possible. Stay at that dose for around 4 days and then you can begin to reduce by 25%. If you are able to follow the Plan and are able to reduce every fourth or fifth day, you'll be able to jump in just a few weeks with a much softer landing.

If you decide to try and hang on and stay quit now, most of the symptoms that you'll experience are going to hang around for a while. Because of the long half life of the subs and the length of time you've been taking them, you might be struggling with them for as long as it would take you to get back on the subs and taper correctly. Know what I mean? It just would make more sense to continue with your taper diligently and in no time you'll be done without as much fall out.

Keep posting!

Peace,

Cat
    Thanks guys. I took your advice and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I really, really feel like a quitter and a wuss, but that's probably the depression talking (at least in part). I AM making this harder than it needs to be, and I guess there's no shame in doing it right.
    Catrina and davepeerson like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
    Thanks guys. I took your advice and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I really, really feel like a quitter and a wuss, but that's probably the depression talking (at least in part). I AM making this harder than it needs to be, and I guess there's no shame in doing it right.
    Good. That makes the most sense. You are far from being a quitter. You are making a smart decision because by setting yourself up for what would likely be several weeks of detox symptoms it might become too tempting to take a brief time out with some short acting opiate and we all know where that leads. Every single relapse I've had wasn't because of the five days of miserable detoxing, it was the time after that that would send me desperately looking to take something that would make me feel better. Once I did that, I couldn't face getting back to the recovery so one day would turn into weeks, months, years of being active once again. It's always wise to give yourself the best chance of beating this long term and doing it in the most comfortable way is the first right step.

Please keep posting. Ask questions and share how you're feeling. We want you to be successful. Besides, your journey will become an inspiration for someone else stumbling onto this Forum desperate for answers and to find some hope.

Are you going to follow my suggestion of starting the subs again only after you put yourself back into withdrawal and then take small doses until you are stable? I know the thought of enduring even a day of detox symptoms is not something any of us look forward to but If you can get below 1mg from the get-go, you'll be that much closer to being ready to jump or to skip days.

Peace,

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Good. That makes the most sense. You are far from being a quitter. You are making a smart decision because by setting yourself up for what would likely be several weeks of detox symptoms it might become too tempting to take a brief time out with some short acting opiate and we all know where that leads. Every single relapse I've had wasn't because of the five days of miserable detoxing, it was the time after that that would send me desperately looking to take something that would make me feel better. Once I did that, I couldn't face getting back to the recovery so one day would turn into weeks, months, years of being active once again. It's always wise to give yourself the best chance of beating this long term and doing it in the most comfortable way is the first right step.

Please keep posting. Ask questions and share how you're feeling. We want you to be successful. Besides, your journey will become an inspiration for someone else stumbling onto this Forum desperate for answers and to find some hope.

Are you going to follow my suggestion of starting the subs again only after you put yourself back into withdrawal and then take small doses until you are stable? I know the thought of enduring even a day of detox symptoms is not something any of us look forward to but If you can get below 1mg from the get-go, you'll be that much closer to being ready to jump or to skip days.

Peace,

Cat
    Yeah, I'm going to jump back on at 1 mg. I didn't sleep at all last night, but I'm actually pretty okay this morning. Maybe it's because I know there's an end in sight for the symptoms. But I made myself a protein shake, went for a run, showered and got dressed for work, etc. No skin sensitivity or restless legs, but both of those were in full effect last night. I tossed my blankets on the floor because, despite the fact that they're ordinarily really soft, they felt scratchy no matter what I did. It was easier to be cold.

Anyway, I'll keep posting as I taper off. I have every intention of this being my LAST subscription. Like I said, no drink or drug (other than Subs) in 7 years. That's almost a quarter of my life. It's enough with this.
    davepeerson likes this.