Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Day 2 of Withdrawls from Oxycodone
    OnTheWay is offline Junior Member

Default Day 2 of Withdrawls from Oxycodone

Luckily my habit was relatively small, but bad enough. I have been taking 30-40mg TOTAL per day of oxycodone for 10 months. I have a low tolerance for anything, so the saving grace is my inability to go higher. When I do, I get sick and headaches. So, I have no choice but to quit.

I am on Day 2. I have had zero RLS or pain in my legs. Just flu like symptoms and headache. Some stomach discomfort and bathroom trips, but nothing major. Luckily I had a lot going for me. I have a job where I work from home and can lay around for the next 5 days, I have a RX of Xanax, Zofran,and most important, clonidine. I have my wife for support. I realize I have it better than most. That being said:

The depression and anxiety are almost unbearable. I do have issues that worry me (job security and finances etc), but the crying spells and the MASSIVE anxiety and blowing things out or proportion are horrible. It rather be throwing up and in the toilet 24/7 than feel like this. The clonidine reduces it by half for a few hours, but that is it. PLEASE tell me the anxiety gets better soon. Does it ever go away? I can tell its mostly caused by the withdrawal and the brain being mad. Some of it is shame and fear of how long I will be depressed and anxious.

So, I am mainly asking about how the anxiety and depression plays out.

JedMI is offline Member

Welcome to the forum. To answer your question directly...YES the anxiety and depression from the drugs go away. This is what you need to focus on right now. You need to just get past the next minute. Each minute you do not take is a victory. I was similar to you and never had a large dosage issue but don't let that fool you. I was low dosage for over 5 YEARS. While your physical will probably be less then a higher dose addict the mental addiction is the same. You now must guard your clean and sober self because your life does depend on it. Be careful of the xan because that is not something to mess with getting clean.

I know after a few days my anxiety started to get better and then it was slightly better each day. It takes a while for it to become gone but it will. That's the good news. Right now just worry about the next minute. Hey by the time you finish this sentence you will have successfully completed at least another minute clean.

Something I did in the beginning was cross each day off a calendar and it was a big smile each morning and a feeling of success. Keep it up you can do this.

When you are ready you may want to consider a meeting (NA or AA) it is ALWAYS better to have a face to face with people rather then a screen.
    davepeerson likes this.

Ilovemtndogs7 is offline Advanced Member

I second everything JedMi said. One day at a time sometimes feels like a lifetime, so whatever timetable works for you is best. I will guess that almost every thread here mentions anxiety. Some of us may have always had it. I know, for me an antidepressant has helped. I have been on one for years.

As lame as it sounds, pretending (outwardly) to being doing better than you are can help. Fake it till you make it helped me. I used my thread as a diary and that helped too. Sometimes just getting your thoughts out can help unburden yourself.

Keep checking in. It helps. Another member suggested I try to find some gratitude. It helped. You got this. Have you looked at the Thomas Recipe? Also a great tool. Take care. Take deep breaths. Win-just for today. Miss Dogs/Sheryl
    davepeerson likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheWay View Post
    Luckily my habit was relatively small, but bad enough. I have been taking 30-40mg TOTAL per day of oxycodone for 10 months. I have a low tolerance for anything, so the saving grace is my inability to go higher. When I do, I get sick and headaches. So, I have no choice but to quit.

I am on Day 2. I have had zero RLS or pain in my legs. Just flu like symptoms and headache. Some stomach discomfort and bathroom trips, but nothing major. Luckily I had a lot going for me. I have a job where I work from home and can lay around for the next 5 days, I have a RX of Xanax, Zofran,and most important, clonidine. I have my wife for support. I realize I have it better than most. That being said:

The depression and anxiety are almost unbearable. I do have issues that worry me (job security and finances etc), but the crying spells and the MASSIVE anxiety and blowing things out or proportion are horrible. It rather be throwing up and in the toilet 24/7 than feel like this. The clonidine reduces it by half for a few hours, but that is it. PLEASE tell me the anxiety gets better soon. Does it ever go away? I can tell its mostly caused by the withdrawal and the brain being mad. Some of it is shame and fear of how long I will be depressed and anxious.

So, I am mainly asking about how the anxiety and depression plays out.

What you are feeling is 100% completely normal! The flu-like symptoms, crying spells, anxiety and depression are all normal opiate withdrawal symptoms and will go away! I've been through it before and I'm going through it again right now! The flu-like symptoms will be gone within a week! The depression and anxiety will go away but it will take a bit more time time because your brain needs to repair itself. It could take a few weeks to a few months but I can assure you that it will get better! Here's a link to my latest thread if you want to read through it -
    https://forum.drugs.com/need-talk/an...tes-74920.html

I have a list of amino acids in my thread that may help with a lot of the withdrawal symptoms including the anxiety and depression so check that out as well?

Stay off the opiates for good! These pills are pure evil! Best of luck to you! God bless us all!
    davepeerson likes this.

The physical symptoms do suck. The biggest one is fatigue. I have read all posts in all forums over the months and know I have to exercise and do what I can to create endorphins again. IT is just miserable.

The cravings are bad too. Manageable, but bad. My sister asked what it felt like. I told her it was like starving to death, except the tightness is in your chest and upper gi. I know, because I would start to have withdrawals in between doses every3-4 hours. When it would kick in, my chest would release the tension and I could breath for a few hours.

The physical symptoms do suck. The biggest one is fatigue. I have read all posts in all forums over the months and know I have to exercise and do what I can to create endorphins again. IT is just miserable.

The cravings are bad too. Manageable, but bad. My sister asked what it felt like. I told her it was like starving to death, except the tightness is in your chest and upper gi. I know, because I would start to have withdrawals in between doses every3-4 hours. When it would kick in, my chest would release the tension and I could breath for a few hours.

Why were you on opiates in the first place? Why did you decide to jump off cold turkey instead of a slow taper? Tapering is very difficult and most people can't do it but if you have the discipline to taper then you can minimize withdrawal symptoms or even avoid them all together?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Why were you on opiates in the first place? Why did you decide to jump off cold turkey instead of a slow taper? Tapering is very difficult and most people can't do it but if you have the discipline to taper then you can minimize withdrawal symptoms or even avoid them all together?
    I tapered down to 22 mgs per day for about a week. I have a job interview in 7 days. If I get it, I have to pass a drug test. I have no choice.

I tapered down to 22 mgs per day for about a week. I have a job interview in 7 days. If I get it, I have to pass a drug test. I have no choice.
    So I'm guessing that you don't have a script because if you did the drug test wouldn't be an issue?

Like I said earlier, if you scan through my thread you'll find a list of amino acids that may help you through this unpleasant process? You'll be okay, it just takes time! Hang in there... God bless us all!
    davepeerson likes this.

JedMI is offline Member

So are you doing this because you do not want to chase the dragon any longer or because you may have to take a drug test?

Tapering for low dosage addicts doesn't work easily because there isn't a lot to cut each day that makes sense.

You need to do this for your health. If you have read around this site you will learn that opiates change the brain in many ways. Chemically your brain cannot use it's natural pain/pleasure chemistry and takes time to repair. Your brain doesn't fire correctly and you will be in a "fog" even when you haven't taken. I am not talking the high I am talking in between highs. It's almost impossible to know the fog until it begins to clear. You will start thinking clearer and faster. It takes time when you stop taking opiates.

Your kidneys are your filter. They are not designed to filter opiates over long periods of time. Think of it like a car engine. You CAN run over 7,000 RPM and it does it's job. However after time the engine wears out completely and fails. It happens to kidneys as well.

You liver also takes a hit and can fall into toxicity which is not good.

I am sure you might already know the effects of opiates on the intestines. Having constipation while on opiates is so common they actually make and market a drug to counter it for people that take opiates. It's a drug company dream a drug for a drug and the cycle continues.

I am telling you all this to remind you of the reasons you should be done forever.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-04-2018 at 12:54 PM.

geez_again is offline Junior Member

Hi
    Welcome! I don't have a lot of time, I need to get to work but I saw ur post and had to reply.
    WD scares me the most bc of my anxiety and depression. I will take all the physical symptoms but it's the anxiety and depression that cripple me. It's scary, no doubt. I'm tapering (well trying tbh) but my last day will be 10/15. I've done this before and been here before and YES the anxiety n depression gets BETTER!
    hang in there. N really, doesn't matter why ur doing this, just do it and you'll feel so much better.
    I'll be back later. Hang in there!

The clonidine helps with the heart racing too. If I had to rank the symptoms, I would say:

Anxiety
    Fatigue
    Depression
    Racing heart

Then everything else.

Wow, 5:00PM and I feel like hell. Headache and flu symptoms. They are overriding the anxiety which may be a good thing for now. I did take a clonidine earlier. Those do WAY better than Xanax because they stop my heart from coming out of my chest. I am hanging in there. Gonna get a shower, take Tylenol and another Zofran and lay down and binge watch something
    geez_again likes this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello OTW, welcome to the forum I have not read your thread yet but I will get around to it I just wanted to say hey and congratulations to you getting and staying clean will be the best and hardest thing you will ever do for yourself... Just know everything you are feeling and going through is all normal part of the process. Keep up the good work... One day at a time... Keep posting we are all here to support you... Again welcome to the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Hello OTW, welcome to the forum I have not read your thread yet but I will get around to it I just wanted to say hey and congratulations to you getting and staying clean will be the best and hardest thing you will ever do for yourself... Just know everything you are feeling and going through is all normal part of the process. Keep up the good work... One day at a time... Keep posting we are all here to support you... Again welcome to the forum...

Thanks. About to try to sleep. 10mgs of ambien ready. The Tylenol and zofran have the pain managed. Just have tightness in my chest from anxiety that's unsettling. I imagine tomorrow will be rough. Already told the wife I was going to hole up in the man cave and binge watch something.

davepeerson is offline Platinum Member

Welcome....Nothing I can say that hasn't been said to you already!! It is MY experience.....that the stomach issues....sleep....energy.....All of that is different for everyone.....but...I would say....weeks to a month....and you should be feeling Much Better!! Hang in there!! Stay Strong Just For TODAY!!.

geez_again is offline Junior Member

well, you are on your way! Sounds a little rough, but I must be honest.... you are getting through this! Like you, I'd much rather have the flu symptoms and all that. The fatigue can be tough bc for me I feel it can bring on the depression bc I just don't know what to do with myself, I want to sleep bc I feel so tired but cannot and then depression and/or anxiety roars it's ugly head and just it's just a big gross relentless cycle. It's funny, you've mentioned binge watching a few times and that's actually one of my tools as well. It really helps pass the time and keeps my mind off what's going on since I analyze everything my body and mind experience! it's actually a relief, binge watching! My problem is there's not much that interests me so if you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!
    You also mentioned your wife and sister know what you're going thru. That's awesome, I mean ur lucky to have that support and lucky to be honest with those you love. Only a few people in my life know what's going on with me and it feels awful, I feel like a big lie. stinks... but that's another reason I'm here, for support. I know I cannot do this alone.
    Just wanted to check in, ur doing this! You ARE ON your WAY! keep it up. This forum saved me a few years back. I got the most tremendous and amazing support and couldn't have done it without the support of this forum. Everyone here is so helpful, sincere and just great. It helps SO much to know ur not alone. There used to be a lot more action but it's ok, I'm grateful to just have this outlet and be able to connect with others going through this.
    Again, any suggestions from you or anyone on some good tv series and movies would be fantastic. I'll be weaning and tapering but my last day of use will be 10/15. I'm trying t get everything in order and good flicks and even some good book would be great!
    Have a good night, hope ur sleeping and keep up the good work!

Thanks Geez. I found that Big Bang Theory and a few older cop shows like Blue Bloods is helping. It’s not deep, not even good acting. It’s mindless entertainment that keeps you distracted. I tried watching deeper movies like Dunkirk and just could invest the mental work.

It is Day 3. 6:27 am. I slept with the ambien. From 10-6. I think I am going to be able to dodge the rls and insomnia.

I am fatigued and stomach is burning as is my chest a little tight. I took a Tylenol. Going to wait and see as I have noticed the symptoms come in waves. For me at least.

davepeerson is offline Platinum Member

I am on day 17 of my w/d's....and For ME.....stomach is still not real good.....sleep is choppy, but not terrible.....and the LAST thing I always have had to wait for before.....is the same this time......ENERGY!!! That has always taken quite awhile to come back.....takes patience!! Which most of US addicts don't have......but it's worth the wait!! Your doing awesome!! Stay Strong Just For TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by davepeerson View Post
    I am on day 17 of my w/d's....and For ME.....stomach is still not real good.....sleep is choppy, but not terrible.....and the LAST thing I always have had to wait for before.....is the same this time......ENERGY!!! That has always taken quite awhile to come back.....takes patience!! Which most of US addicts don't have......but it's worth the wait!! Your doing awesome!! Stay Strong Just For TODAY!!
    Thanks Dave. I have chest tightness and hard to get a full breath. It is on the high end of annoying, but not worrying me. I am trying to figure out of it is the clonidine or anxiety. However, I am not TOO anxious right now. NO energy of course. Just went to Target for the wife. I just can't lay around. If I do, I start getting depressed. The crying episodes are dropping by 30% daily. That is the one thing that has improved. That and stomach.
    davepeerson likes this.

I haven't been using the Xanax, because it just doesn't work as good as the clonidine. That being said, I think I am going to discontinue the clonidine and use Xanax the next 24 hours. I have been taking Xanax PRN for over 10 years now. I have no intention to get hooked, because I don't particularly like it. It makes me nod 10X more than oxycodone ever did.

I haven't been using the Xanax, because it just doesn't work as good as the clonidine. That being said, I think I am going to discontinue the clonidine and use Xanax the next 24 hours. I have been taking Xanax PRN for over 10 years now. I have no intention to get hooked, because I don't particularly like it. It makes me nod 10X more than oxycodone ever did.
    Also have runny nose and a cough

Damn. If I could get rid of this tightness in my chest, it would be downgraded from flu to sinus infection. Moderate anxiety today. a few depressing moments of tearing up.
    I THINK it is the clonidine. I have never taken so much over this many days. Propranolol made my chest hurt after taking a few days even though it is a beta blocker and somewhat different. I don't have any more pills as the wife and I flushed the ones I had left, but if anything would drive me back, it would be an hour of chest pressure relief.

The good news is, I don't have access to any more.

Hello OTW...
    What and how much are you taking now? Did you flush all your meds? Can you give me an update on the meds you are taking now.

Hey geez please start a new thread its easier for me to post to you instead of someone else's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Hello OTW...
    What and how much are you taking now? Did you flush all your meds? Can you give me an update on the meds you are taking now.
    Oxy flushed two days ago. Taking Tylenol and Advil. Zofran and .25 xanax when needed. In bed about to watch iPad. Because I'm having uncontrollable crying spells. Wife is checking on me.
    davepeerson likes this.

Headache and just feel weird and sick. Can't say in 45 years I have ever had this sensation. It sucks and I wish it would stop.

Headache and just feel weird and sick. Can't say in 45 years I have ever had this sensation. It sucks and I wish it would stop.

Did you check into the Thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal? Did you check into those amino acids that are listed on my thread? No sense in sitting around being sick and emotional when there some otc meds that can help ease your symptoms! Up to you of course? God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Did you check into the Thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal? Did you check into those amino acids that are listed on my thread? No sense in sitting around being sick and emotional when there some otc meds that can help ease your symptoms! Up to you of course? God bless us all!
    I found some of them at Target today. Going to have to go elsewhere for the rest. GNC maybe.

Heart pounding but I have dozed off once while watching a movie. Just took ambien and hope to sleep.

I found some of them at Target today. Going to have to go elsewhere for the rest. GNC maybe.
    Which ones were you able to get so far and have you started any of them yet? You might have better luck at "the vitamin shoppe" if you have one near you or at your local health food store? If all else fails then you can get any or all of them on Amazon, that's where I personally get mine!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-05-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast