• 2 Post By extremetm
  • 2 Post By extremetm
  • 2 Post By Car102
  • 3 Post By Catrina
Enoughisenough
    Car102 is offline New Member

Default Enoughisenough

Hi,
    I am new here and desperately need help. I want to get off this "devil drug" hydrocodone. I have been taking this for about 15 years, started out with 10's until They no longer would prescribe them at that strength and have been on 7.5 for about 5 years. Not sure about the five years, might be a little longer. I am taking Metphorman for type 2 diabetes and am currently tapering off of Xanax which I have been taking 0.5 mg two times a day for about 7 years for severe anxiety and panic attacks. I want to quit the hydrocodone cold turkey but am afraid it will have a bad effect on my diabetes. Also since I already have anxiety I don't know how much worse that will get. I so badly want to get off the hydro !!! Any advise will be appreciated, I have read a lot of posts and everyone seems so helpful.

extremetm is offline Junior Member

I'm 46 days clean today from Norco. I did a taper and it worked well. Couldn't do CT. Here's a link to my journal of that experience. Something to consider if you are so inclined. .

https://forum.drugs.com/prescription...nal-74706.html

A quick note about Xanax. It can ultimately lead to rebound anxiety and actually make anxiety worse over time. Happened to me. Was on it for 15 years. Stopped CT 5 years ago and it took a long time for the side effects to disappear. A heck of a lot longer than the Opiates.
    hopes1211 and davepeerson like this.

extremetm is offline Junior Member

I forgot to add, Good that you're tapering off Xanax but I would not recommend quitting Xanax and Hydros at the same time. Too much stress IMO on your body and mind.
    hopes1211 and davepeerson like this.

Thanks for the advice, and yes I am going to wait until after I am off of the xanax
    Catrina and davepeerson like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome!

Here's my opinion. Because the xanex has to be slowly tapered, if it were me, I'd tackle the hydro addiction first. The xanex will help with your withdrawal symptoms from the hydro. I absolutely wouldn't ordinarily encourage you to use the xanex to complete your detox from the hydro but because you've been taking them anyway, I don't see any harm in taking advantage of that now. At least they'll relieve some of the anxiety that inevitably accompanies any detox and hopefully they'll help you get some sleep.

Cold turkey detox from opiates isn't dangerous. It's uncomfortable for sure, but it's not dangerous. One of the inevitable symptoms is diarrhea so it will be important to continually hydrate. Plain old fashioned water will do the trick and you should be drinking it non-stop throughout your detox. Because you're a diabetic, pay very close attention to your sugar levels. You probably aren't going to have much of an appetite but force yourself if you have to and eat frequent small meals or snacks and check your blood sugar over and over again throughout the day.

How much hydro do you take per day? The symptoms and the timeline are very predictable and if you let me know how much you're taking on an average day, I can give you an idea of what you have in store for yourself.

I would encourage you to begin to get off the hydro as soon as you are up to it. Have you ever tried to taper? That's the least troublesome way of getting off the opiates but for most of us, it's hard if not impossible to stick to a taper plan. I'm a strong advocate of doing this cold turkey. it's about five days of flu like symptoms and then you will begin to feel much better. You'll be left weak and tired. Much like you're getting over the flu. If you haven't found and read the Thomas Recipe, please try to do that. It's a list of vitamins and supplements that will not only help to minimize some of the withdrawal symptoms, but there are things on that list that will help you to hasten regaining your strength.

Please do consider throwing those hydros in the trash or toilet. You're going to feel sick. No doubt about it but it's around five days of flu like symptoms and you'll be on your way to a healthier, happier life without the bonds of being a slave to those pills. This is doable!! I swear it is and once you've put this behind you and you have your strength back, you can tackle the formidable task of beginning to taper the xanex.

What do you say? Are you ready? We'll help. All you have to do is to say the word and we'll surround you with a ton of support, advice and tips on how you might make this as painless as possible. Just a reminder Let us know how much of the hydro you're taking right now.

Peace,

Cat

toogoodforyou is offline New Member

I would just reduce the dose every two weeks.If I can detox off of (30 miligrams OF Methadone myself..within 6 months.You can detox your self for what ever how long it will takE you to detox. GOOD LUCK..don`t forget you`ll need to find new friends.If not you`ll be right back to where you are now!

I am getting 160 7.5-325 hydros a month, so I am taking 5-6 a day. I have never tried tapering because of my severe anxiety so I think I would rather go CT and get it over with because I don't have much will power these days. As far as the xanax I want my daughter to come and help with detox but she won't be able to come until after June 19th and by that time I will be down to my last two weeks of tapering off the xanax. What you said about using the xanax during my detox off hydro makes sense because I already have anxiety real bad but I am already this far getting off them. The only thing I can do at that point is have my doctor stop the hydro and re prescribe the xanax,(don't know if that's a good plan).I have seen the Thomas Recipe and plan on using that to help me thru this. I hope I am replying correctly I'm not really sure how all this works, a little advice on that would be great. I also smoke a little pot ( not heavy smoker at all ) I really don't like it but it calms me to take a toke every once in a while, and I also am trying CBD oil, still don't know if that is helping. I am so glad I found this site all of of you are all ready helping me feel better about getting off these. So thank you for letting me know what to expect.
    Greatfull

Not sure if I am replying in the right place I haven't heard from anyone in a while. I am doing pretty good with my taper off of xanax. Feel good most days and have some off days. I am reducing my mg by 25% every two weeks and am on my third week. Right now I am at 1.5 mg and am taking my doses at 1am, 10am, 3pm and 8pm. Is spreading out my dosages the right way to take them? Would appreciate some advise on this.

Car102

OKC-26 is offline Member

You’re in the right place! The form seems a little slow right now but I’m sure someone will be around soon that can help you out. I don’t know very much about Xanax so I can’t offer any advice..

So you’re taking about 40mg of the hydro per day. I do know about this. If you do the CT route you’re going to feel like you have the flu for about a week. Days 2-5 will be the toughest. Each day after 5 you should start to feel some relief. Google the Thomas Recipe, myself and many others have used it and it makes things much better. Drink plenty of water. Hot showers/baths always made me feel much better, some days I took 5+. Heating pads for the body aches. And find something to occupy your self like reading, a good tv show, clean out a closet. Anything is better than sitting around feeling sorry for yourself and worrying. We usually have trouble sleeping for a little bit, I learned not to fight it. If I couldn’t fall asleep in about 45 minutes I just got up and watched a movie. It drove me crazy staring at the clock during the night. And get excited for this! This is a HUGE step to bettering your life. I know it’s a tough process but it won’t be long until you get to check out that “greener grass”. You can do this!

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Car102 View Post
    Not sure if I am replying in the right place I haven't heard from anyone in a while. I am doing pretty good with my taper off of xanax. Feel good most days and have some off days. I am reducing my mg by 25% every two weeks and am on my third week. Right now I am at 1.5 mg and am taking my doses at 1am, 10am, 3pm and 8pm. Is spreading out my dosages the right way to take them? Would appreciate some advise on this.

Car102

I would recommend that you slow down and taper by only 5-10% every 7-10 days or so? You can achieve the reductions pretty accurately by shaving the pills or using the water titration method? Google search
    "The easiest way to taper Xanax, or any other benzo" (hughes12), you can also search for "water titration for benzos" to learn about that taper method as well. As you get lower in dose you will slow your taper down even more and reduce the amount you taper by! Tapering benzos is a very slow process, you'll want to taper slow enough so your body can adjust to the new lower dose so you can avoid or at the very least minimize any withdrawal symptoms? As Cat has mentioned it would be best to get off the opiates first because the xanax will help you though the opiate detox!
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

I am in a tough position because my Doctor told me I had to either stop the Xanax or the hydro because he could not prescribe them both anymore. So I chose the Xanax. He started reducing my RX by 10 per week so this week was 30 pills. So if I reduce to little my RX will run out before I get to a lower mg. I tried to talk to him about it but he is being an >>>>>> I can't put all the blame on him though cause I now it's all about the new laws and regulation that are coming out but still he should know how to taper a drug he is prescribing. I am three weeks into this and am still not getting a lot of wd symtoms so I hope this will continue.

Leah987 is offline Senior Member

Hi, Car 102.....I know nothing about xanax, so I can't help you there. Maybe I can't help you at all. Just wanted you to know this thing with the hydros is doable. I have been off hydros for a little over a year now. I had been taking a few a day for.....years and years and years. Maybe 25 to 30 years. YIKES! If I can do this, you can also do this!
    .....Ryka-Leah

Just curious, did you go CT or taper off them? I am going to get off them as soon as I get off the xanax. I am now seeing a phsyc who is helping me get off the xanax so hopefully I will be done with that in a couple of months. THEN THE HYDRO! Whooo hooo.

Well I finally got in to see a phsyciatrist and he put me on a slow long taper, think I am finally on a good taper cutting about 10% every two weeks. The only question I have is he put me on 25mg of Seroquel and 250mg of Depakote DR. I have a lot of nervous energy and my mind and thoughts go 100 miles an hour all the time. I just can't seem to slow my thoughts down and am constantly running scenarios of every day events through my head and exspress that by talking 100 miles an hour. He noticed this and said these prescriptions would calm me. Does anybody now anything about these two drugs?

froggy_069 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Car102 View Post
    Well I finally got in to see a phsyciatrist and he put me on a slow long taper, think I am finally on a good taper cutting about 10% every two weeks. The only question I have is he put me on 25mg of Seroquel and 250mg of Depakote DR. I have a lot of nervous energy and my mind and thoughts go 100 miles an hour all the time. I just can't seem to slow my thoughts down and am constantly running scenarios of every day events through my head and exspress that by talking 100 miles an hour. He noticed this and said these prescriptions would calm me. Does anybody now anything about these two drugs?
    Of the two meds you mentioned, I do know about seroquel. Do yourself a favor and take it at bedtime, it's definitely a "lights out" kind of med and will undoubtedly slow you down. 25mg is a lighter dose but with no tolerance to it, you will no doubt feel the full effect.