Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Skoshi314
Fentanyl Withdrawal
    Skoshi314 is offline New Member

Default Fentanyl Withdrawal

I've been on fentanyl for about 8 years and oxy for 9 for pain management due to scoliosis surgery and 2 revisions (fused T-4-S-1). I've been at 25mcg Fentanyl and 30mg oxy for about 9 months. Prior to that the amounts have been as high as 175mcg and 120mg and everywhere in between. I went out of town 2 weeks ago and forgot to take any Fentanyl patches.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skoshi314 View Post
    I've been on fentanyl for about 8 years and oxy for 9 for pain management due to scoliosis surgery and 2 revisions (fused T-4-S-1). I've been at 25mcg Fentanyl and 30mg oxy for about 9 months. Prior to that the amounts have been as high as 175mcg and 120mg and everywhere in between. I went out of town 2 weeks ago and forgot to take any Fentanyl patches.
    Okay, so what is your question exactly?

TrishNeal is offline Member

Hi Skoshi-

Have you set goals yet? Are you trying to quit? Tell us more!

I apologize Ricky, when I went back and read my post I realized how scattered it was. Are oxy and Fentanyl withdrawal time frames and intensity about the same? I had someone tell me I can expect a much longer and difficult road with Fentanyl and the fact I had been on it for so long didn't help. The first week I supplemented with an extra 15mg oxy and I've cut that to 7.5. So I'm taking 45mg oxy and nothing else. I just hate this "flat" feeling. It's the only way I know to describe it. I'm just trying to learn all I can.
    Trish, I haven't set any goals yet. I was completely unprepared when this "opportunity" presented itself and I've been trying to play a little catch-up since. I don't know what a reasonable goal is for me. I can manage pain wise without the Fentanyl and, like you, I have periods when the back pain is pretty intense. BUT it's been my goal for a long time to be opiate free. I'm just a little curious what the opiate free Me looks like. And I'll admit a little scared. Been in these shoes a long time.
    Thank you both so much for posting. It's comforting to know people that "get it" care.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skoshi314 View Post
    I apologize Ricky, when I went back and read my post I realized how scattered it was. Are oxy and Fentanyl withdrawal time frames and intensity about the same? I had someone tell me I can expect a much longer and difficult road with Fentanyl and the fact I had been on it for so long didn't help. The first week I supplemented with an extra 15mg oxy and I've cut that to 7.5. So I'm taking 45mg oxy and nothing else. I just hate this "flat" feeling. It's the only way I know to describe it. I'm just trying to learn all I can.
    Trish, I haven't set any goals yet. I was completely unprepared when this "opportunity" presented itself and I've been trying to play a little catch-up since. I don't know what a reasonable goal is for me. I can manage pain wise without the Fentanyl and, like you, I have periods when the back pain is pretty intense. BUT it's been my goal for a long time to be opiate free. I'm just a little curious what the opiate free Me looks like. And I'll admit a little scared. Been in these shoes a long time.
    Thank you both so much for posting. It's comforting to know people that "get it" care.
    If you have enough oxy to supplement then you will mask the fentanyl withdrawal or at least the worst of it. It is much easier to get off oxy then it is to get off fentanyl. I would recommend staying off the fentanyl, once you have leveled out with the oxy then you can figure out what you want to do from there? Keep us posted? God bless us all!
    Randy35 likes this.

Thank you Ricky! To be very honest, I feel like a big wimp that I haven't just gutted it out and suffered through without the extra oxy. At first, I envisioned a couple days with maybe half an extra oxy and quickly dropping that, then putting on my superhero cape and dropping the oxy. Ha! This has kinda kicked my butt! But I'm one of those people that is very influenced by the expectations of those around me and don't want to see the disappointment in my husband or kids eyes. I'm trying to use that as a tool to plow forward but oh the thoughts of how easy it would be to up the oxy and who would know! So far I haven't done that. I haven't told anyone at work about the w/d. I've been there for 14 years and know most everyone, and they all witnessed the physical struggles after a bad outcome from my first back surgery. And then the 2 revision surgeries that followed and they were all so supportive! I've never made it a secret that I visit my pain mgnt doc every 4 weeks and that I'm on narcotic meds, but I'm afraid if I say anything about going through w/d I'll instantly be labeled. I could explain the difference between dependence and addiction but once the word "withdrawal" is out there the whole scenario changes. And we can debate dependence >> addiction all day but the w/d is the same. Your body doesn't care which it is, it's still gonna suck! So I've kept quiet and only missed 1 day of work. But oh man, it's a struggle! Fortunately this is the slow time of year so there's not too much stress but I still have deadlines looming, and I'm trying to care, but I really don't. But not getting anything accomplished at work is really causing my anxiety to be bad but I still manage to get nothing done. Ugh this is so frustrating!
    I'm sorry for the rambling. It just all came tumbling out. I'm so grateful to have this place for support!

Random question here. What is up with the urinating a million times a day?! And night?! I'm drinking more water than normal but that's not saying much since I never drink much to start with, but dang! I know I'm not taking in near as much as I'm putting out! And food cravings? I'm 54 and most definitely not pregnant!

Well I don't know about urinating all the time but I can relate to your back surgeries and work, dependent >> addicted internal conversations. I've discussed it on my thread too. I don't think you should (or at least I wouldn't) "come clean" about wd at work. You're right that some people won't get it, and every office has that petty person, and the gossip, etc. but you might feel better if you can share what you're going through with a close friend outside work or family member. Better than going it alone or inviting you're whole workplace in. That's just me, others might have a different take.

Keep up the good work and keep posting! -T

I should've said something about your anxiety too. Again, I can only share my experience, yours might be totally different. My anxiety stems from the oxy itself. If I don't meet a goal I get really stressed out. The solution has been to set manageable goals and celebrate achieving them. And I try to take a nightly walk- there really is something to getting the endorphins going and blood flowing. The opioids are controlling you now (and me too), so control the things you CAN control. Hang in there. T

Thank you so much Trish. A little depression/anxiety history. After my first baby I ended up with postpartum depression. I fought it on my own until my second baby was born and struggled every day until my dad passed away. One day I found myself sitting in the closet crying and decided it was time to get help. With therapy and Wellbutrin I did great. Even after my third child came along. Fast forward 10 years and after my second back surgery I started having panic attacks. I talked to my doc and he said the length of my surgery (9 hours) and the amount of anesthesia used was likely the culprit. I was prescribed Celexa which helped some. After a couple years the panic attacks stopped and I dropped the Celexa. I've stayed on Wellbutrin. And throw in there the sea of pain meds I've been on for years. Looking at my history I really believe the anxiety I'm having now is due to the w/d. There's no rhyme or reason to what triggers it and I can't even tell you what I'm anxious about. Just a general feeling of impending doom? It passes eventually. I work really hard to think positive thoughts and absorb things that make me smile (just saw a mommy deer and baby, awwwww!) im hopeful it'll pass as I taper.
    I had decided to not share what's going on with anyone at work. You're right, gossip and pettiness are always around and I'd really hate this achievement to come back and bite me. My husband and kids know and that's all I need. And it helps hold me accountable. I really don't want to let them down. Or myself. Thanks for the input on that.
    And the water works? Only thing I can think is the Fent made me retain water and being off it is causing me to get rid of it. Man that's a lot of water retention!
    Thank you so much for your reply. It's so comforting to have people to share this with.
    TrishNeal likes this.