Fentanyl withdrawal and Belbuca
    thepaintrain is offline New Member

Default Fentanyl withdrawal and Belbuca

Not sure I was in the right place earlier so I'm reposting.

Fentanyl patch weaned over a month from 25 mcg every 2 days to 1/4 patch=6.25 mcg every 2 days then stopped with MD's guidance. WOW! This is my first experience with withdrawals and it's NOT fun! I'm 48 hours in and honestly expected it to not be bad because I weaned to such a low dose. Every time I think I'm through the worst of it, a new symptom strikes. And what's up with the continuous sneezing? I thought I was getting a cold on top of it until I read that's yet another w/d symptom! Weird! I'm not worried about the sneezing though. It's the shakes, chills, sweats, nausea, stuff crawling on my skin, not sleeping, unable to be still, raw feeling at the base of my brain, and pain that's the problem. I'm supposed to wait 4 days and start Belbuca (buprenorphine oral patch). Here's my questions:

1. I think the w/d must be so bad from my weird metabolism and maybe I'm not clearing the Fentanyl very quickly, but I was on such a low dose surely there can't be that much actually left in my system. How long do most people have w/d?

2. Why do I have to wait 4 days before starting Belbuca? If they are both opioids, it would seem that when enough of the Fentanyl had cleared to not cause OD that starting Belbuca would alleviate w/d. What am I missing? Why can't I start it after 72 hours?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ban-Zai is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thepaintrain View Post
    Not sure I was in the right place earlier so I'm reposting.

Fentanyl patch weaned over a month from 25 mcg every 2 days to 1/4 patch=6.25 mcg every 2 days then stopped with MD's guidance. WOW! This is my first experience with withdrawals and it's NOT fun! I'm 48 hours in and honestly expected it to not be bad because I weaned to such a low dose. Every time I think I'm through the worst of it, a new symptom strikes. And what's up with the continuous sneezing? I thought I was getting a cold on top of it until I read that's yet another w/d symptom! Weird! I'm not worried about the sneezing though. It's the shakes, chills, sweats, nausea, stuff crawling on my skin, not sleeping, unable to be still, raw feeling at the base of my brain, and pain that's the problem. I'm supposed to wait 4 days and start Belbuca (buprenorphine oral patch). Here's my questions:

1. I think the w/d must be so bad from my weird metabolism and maybe I'm not clearing the Fentanyl very quickly, but I was on such a low dose surely there can't be that much actually left in my system. How long do most people have w/d?

2. Why do I have to wait 4 days before starting Belbuca? If they are both opioids, it would seem that when enough of the Fentanyl had cleared to not cause OD that starting Belbuca would alleviate w/d. What am I missing? Why can't I start it after 72 hours?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Hello thepaintrain. I abused fentanyl patches for about half a year. My dose was 2 patches a day. Each one 100 mcg. I smoked them. I know this is a huge dose. Right now I am recovering from that hell with suboxone. I can tell you that I waited 36 hours from my last dose of 2x100 mcg. I just finished smoking two patches at once and started counting hours. No opiates at that period. But you can use clonidine, gabapentin or lyrica, trazadone just to make it easier to wait the time. 36 hours and I took my first dose of suboxone. In my case I had to get to 2 x 8 mg suboxone. Bilbuca is bupernorphine it is a partial agonist/antagonist. It means by being by itself opiate it also a blockator of opiate receptops. So if you take it to close to your last use you will go into percitipated withdrawals. But time is not the best indicator for when you can take your first bilbuca (buprenorphine). The best indicator is your symptoms. You have to be in withdrawals. Use the table of COWS. Just google it cows score for opiate withdrawals. Wish you the best and good luck. Fentanyl is the beast. It is impossible to quit it by your own. The withdrawals are crazy. They are much harder and longer than >>>>>>e withdrawals. I am talking about my case, I mean my dose. The only thing I can not answer you is the way we used is different: I smoked them and you used it as prescribed. So look at your symptoms. God bless us all !!!