Frustrated with ss and medical profession
    Myki is offline Junior Member

Default Frustrated with ss and medical profession

Brief history..worked as a nurse in hospitals 27 years when I suddenly woke up with B12 neuropathy of hands and feet. Besides the numbness there is a lot of pain..worst is in my hands. My balance is better but still unsteady and need a cane. Have been trying to get on social security disability for over a year. Needless to say finances are rocky. I requested my doctor to see me to a pain treatment center for evaluation. I had hoped they would maybe find a new way to help me.
    I have blue cross blue shield insurance who I thought was good..they are if you are sick but if its for pain treatment or psychological forget it. Each visit to physical therapy is a $40.00 co pay..then they pay 80% for 10 visits..thats a laugh.
    The pain center wanted me to have psych evaluation to check coping mechanisms etc for life long condition..my insurance again..$40 copay each visit then just 50%. My finances are at rock bottom even wth my husband working extra hours totaling 80 hours a week..I have two sons. Now..if I don't go..I can no longer get pain medicine. I guess our society is set up that only the rich and the people on medicaid can get medical care. The first visit to psych is full of tests that is %560.00 up front..that is over a months worth of groceries. I feel guilty enough that my illness has put the financial hurt with the loss of my job and added expense of medicine I have to take...now they think I can take food out of their mouths for pain control. I can't. No one dies from pain but they do from poor nutrition or no food. My husbands yearly income is above poverty level so we dont qualify for any help. I give up..the society that feels since I am no longer of use so I dont matter..they win. I have fought for two years to stay positive..to try to re evaluate who and what I am since life is so different, to work towards finding some way I could be of use with my severe limitations but accept the fact society wants me hidden and quiet while social security wants me to disappear. A person entering our country who cant speak english gets disability because of language barrier..but I cant use my hands to write, can barely walk, can only sit or stand for very short periods of time get turned down even though my family doctor and neurologists both say there is no way i can ever work again. there is no sense paying $50 co pay for anti depressants so that I dont lay on couch since pain will keep me there anyway. Atleast $50 will pay for a few days of groceries. Sorry for the rant but I know many of you know exactly how I feel.

John21018 is offline New Member

I kind of know what you are going through.I have back trouble and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

I have problems with walking,sitting,balance and the list goes on.

I had worked since my teenage years until I got sick around 3 years ago.

I filed for SSD and was denied.

I am thinking on trying again.

Dont give up,Social Security is VERY crooked when it comes to getting disability.

If you have not already obtained one,get a lawyer that specializes in getting SS disabilty.If one lawyer turns you down,look for another one.

They charge NOTHING unless you win your case and then they can only collect 25% of your backpay that you get from SS when you win.

Some people dont want to give e lawyer any of their award but it is worth it to have a disabilty check every month.

Dont give up.My Sister-In-Law is an Occupational Therapist at a hospital.She worked with a young girl that was in VERY bad shape.

The girl just could walk with a walker,SS denied her disability.

As I said,SS is CROOKED.

DONT give up.

melany is offline New Member

I too can relate to your frustration with SSD. I have been turned down twice and have had a lawyer from day one. I have had a request in since June 2004 for a Appeals Hearing before a judge. I was told that they are working on December 2004 at this time and I could look forward to hearing from them in the summer for a hearing date. I was told by my attorney that these turn downs are standard procedure and to expect about 2+ years in Fla. due to back-up before you could hope for a check. Thank God I had the foresight to insure myself for disability, as a was a firefighter/lieutenant for 22 years. I am the sole supporter of my family (myself and a disabled spouse), and you are right it is a trip unless you are without a brain, can not speak english, and have no clue of anything. This is truly a disgusting system. I have a pension but can not file for it until SS comes through because of my age. I wrote a letter to SS requesting an expedited hearing due to the fact I am depleating my money steadily every month. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! They refused it the same day it was certified-mail received. Perhaps someone can explain to me how it can be given to a judge, reviewed, and documented all on the same day. I was told off the record unless you are terminal (SOON) there is no expedite. I guess it just made me feel like I was doing something other than waiting. Without going into my condition I have been told I am definately eligible to receive these benefits. They would just prefer you go away or go so bankrupt that you will get a job regardless. It boils down to waiting it out. Just remember you paid for it, in fact, probably more so than alot of individuals that are receiving comp that only qualify by the skin of their teeth or know the system. Yes , I too am bitter, but perseverance [u]WILL</u> prevail. If I can help you let me know. Melany

lane413 is offline Member

I totally understand your position. I was disabled back in 1999 with diabetes and two heart attacks. I was on 24 pill daily and still i was denied disability. Of course your doctors could help you get disability, but mine refused to help me. I was even crippled by some of the meds given to me to treat my illnesses.

I would say that the ssd agency takes a long time to make decisions bcuz they want to be sure a person is truly disabled. Alot of ppl fake their illnesses or go work w/o notifying ssd. Granted it is a cruel process. It took me at least two to three yrs b4 i was granted disability. Bsure to document every thing, including side effects of your meds. The hearing is like going to court, with real lawyers and testimony. Good luck.