Gabapentin & Suboxone withdrawal - Question
    LastTyme4Real is offline New Member

Default Gabapentin & Suboxone withdrawal - Question

Hey everyone,

I'm on my 5th day of Suboxone detox and feel pretty decent compared to what I've ever felt this time in before. I jumped Suboxone at 1.5mg. I've detoxed at this exact dose before and I was good around 3 weeks. To begin, I've researched Gabapentin and I know it's addictive and could come with withdrawal if you abuse it for a long period. I'm taking 300mg 3x's a day for 3 weeks and I'm done.

My question is this: Is Gabapentin postponing my hard core withdrawal symptoms or is it masking the worst of it and I'll feel what "week 3 of Suboxone withdrawal" (i.e. feeling pretty good, maybe a bit sluggish) feels like when I stop the Gabapentin?

I took 12 days off work to get this ish handled permanently. I'd hate to be 3 weeks out, stop the Gaba and be like wtf.

I'd love to hear from someone who has successfully used Gaba to get off Suboxone this easy. I've learned you always pay the piper when it comes to opiates.

Anonymous Guest

Gabapentin, or alternatively, Lyrica can provide a good deal of relief from withdrawals. I personally was prescribed Lyrica, though it was a matter of choice (Lyrica being a significantly smaller dose).

That said, while at some point it sounds like you’ll be off the gabapentin, possibily soon, it’s hard to say if you’ll still be experiencing withdrawals. Suboxone withdrawals can last a while. Still, I’d be surprised if you were in acute withdrawal at the end of your gabapentin course. You could always see a GP and ask for a longer course of gabapentin or lyrica if it’s not adequate. I continue to take lyrica for neuropathy, but noted it had a powerful anti-withdrawal effect until those withdrawals largely ended around the 10th day, and got better from there. I’d think you’ll be fine, based on your plan.

Hey Major,

I appreciate the feedback and your understanding of my question. I'm now on day 7 and feel pretty okay aside from being sluggish (big surprise there I'm sure lol) Better than days 1-5 For Sure. I plan to now discontinue the Gaba and other prescriptions day 14 to get an idea of where I really am in the healing process.

I'd also like to note that with the combination of drugs mentioned in my initial message have prevented every symptom except for the "blah." I've had zero rls, minor sleep issues, no sneazing, no diarrhea, few headaches. Ive had the stretching deal and some chills. Aside from the general lethargic feeling it's been doable.

I go back to work in 5 days, so fingers crossed, I get more energy.

Did you use the Lyrica for quitting suboxone? If so, at what dose? 10 days is a quick turnaround with suboxone. I didn't feel 100% for around 30 days. Thanks again and a belated merry christmas!

Anonymous Guest

Hi Last. I was prescribed Lyrica for neuropathy, originally at 75 mg x 2x daily. After my overdose (on many drugs, including suboxone), I was in the hospital until they could sort out if I was suicidal or just massively addicted. During that time, they changed the Lyrica dose to 150 mg x3 daily, telling me it had psychiatric benefit, and would help calm me. It did, though I was also prescribed a bunch of other meds, particularly blood pressure meds, which I know also helped. I felt simultaneously weak and strung out, with the first five days the worst. However, once the Lyrica adjustment was made I calmed down a good deal, and quit pacing my room 24x7. A week or so later, I felt a calm energy, and not so exhausted. It got a lot better from that point.

I should note tho, that around a month later, I crashed emotionally, an out of the blue depression that I’m still dealing with several months later. I suspect it’s due to withdrawals and I just didn’t notice it as I was focusing mostly on lingering withdrawal symptoms.

I have previously used Gabapentin, in the course of a withdrawal from Percocet, and found it really helpful, with no lingering withdrawals a week later. I felt the gabapentin took a day or two to build up, while the Lyrica was almost instant. Otherwise they both seemed to work similarly on withdrawals.

I hope this helps. Try not to worry too much, and just deal as best you can! God bless and keep at it!

I appreciate the kind words again. I'm actually doing pretty well on day 8. You're exactly right on the Gaba taking time to take effect. It does worry me that the mimicking effect it has to opiates is going to push out the PAWS (Possibly what happened in your case). You're correct though. I should just focus on myself and getting through it. I was 100% sure I'd never look back from this when it's over and I feel good about the future. Thanks again for the help!

RBL12345 is offline Junior Member

How are you doing Lasttime? You should be on day 9 now. Do you feel like you may be over the hump? Wishing you the best

Hey, thanks for asking RBL. I woke up feeling pretty good today. I'm on day 10 now and go back to work Tuesday. I'm not sure what the effect will be when I discontinue the GABA. I'm just hoping that I don't taper off on day 21 and feel crummy. The combination of drugs my doc prescribed made the symptoms very managable. I think this may be of interest to others, so I'll be sure to let you know how I feel when I discontinue the other meds. I'm still waiting for my appetite to come back. That's about it aside from moderate lethargy. I'd put myself at 70% currently. Are you currently or considering jumping off suboxone?

I'm going to taper more first. I takes to you on my thread a few days ago. I don't think you will have a prob getting off the gaba. You will feel fine. I've taken it for carpal tunnel and had zero issues discontinuing without a taper!!

I've been having trouble keeping track of the conversations. I don't have notifications for some reason. This is the best feedback yet though. I appreciate you being up front about your experience. I will continue to post my progress. I've felt decent all day for the most part. I'm looking forward to socializing again. Thanks again and I'm absolutely rooting for you.

Thanks Lasttime. Hope that work goes good for you!

Hey guys, today is day 15 and still cruising along. Killing it at work, visited the Dr yesterday and he was pretty happy with my my progress. Still some light stomach issues. We will taper off the Gabapentin over the next 2 months and call it a wrap. I've had a bit of insomnia, but still getting 6 hours. Just wanted to check in with an update. I'll certainly let everyone know if there's a dip in anything when we taper off gaba. Stay tuned!