Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Getting off Methadone after 6 years
    WantThisOver is offline New Member

Default Getting off Methadone after 6 years

Hey guys, I am currently taking 1mg of methadone daily (tomorrow is my last dose). I have been on it over 6 years highest dose 90mg daily. I have been tapering for about a year. From 90 down to 14 was fine for me. Once I hit 14 I was feeling symptoms so I held there for a few weeks. From 14mg to 1mg I did a taper of 1mg per week. And here I am. I already feel the achy legs, RLS, and just over all low energy but other than that it's not terrible. Some days my head feels foggy. I asked my dr at the clinic if my WD symptoms will get much worse when I stop taking the 1mg (honesty don't think it's doing anything) he said no it won't be too much worse and to take Motrin and Tylenol at the same time for the leg pains. I have done that and it does help but I'm feeling depressed and anxious. My goal was to be off Methadone by the end of this year and I will be. So I am happy about that just a little scared at what to expect. I am 28 and the reason I got on methadone was because of a gram a day IV >>>>>> habit. So basically between the >>>>>> use for 5 years and the methadone for a bit over 6 my body and brain haven't been without opiates in 11 years. So I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Any advice? Do you guys think being this low and doing a slow taper the symptoms won't get much worse? Thanks in advance!

Britt

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WantThisOver View Post
    Hey guys, I am currently taking 1mg of methadone daily (tomorrow is my last dose). I have been on it over 6 years highest dose 90mg daily. I have been tapering for about a year. From 90 down to 14 was fine for me. Once I hit 14 I was feeling symptoms so I held there for a few weeks. From 14mg to 1mg I did a taper of 1mg per week. And here I am. I already feel the achy legs, RLS, and just over all low energy but other than that it's not terrible. Some days my head feels foggy. I asked my dr at the clinic if my WD symptoms will get much worse when I stop taking the 1mg (honesty don't think it's doing anything) he said no it won't be too much worse and to take Motrin and Tylenol at the same time for the leg pains. I have done that and it does help but I'm feeling depressed and anxious. My goal was to be off Methadone by the end of this year and I will be. So I am happy about that just a little scared at what to expect. I am 28 and the reason I got on methadone was because of a gram a day IV >>>>>> habit. So basically between the >>>>>> use for 5 years and the methadone for a bit over 6 my body and brain haven't been without opiates in 11 years. So I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Any advice? Do you guys think being this low and doing a slow taper the symptoms won't get much worse? Thanks in advance!

Britt

Hey Britt, Welcome to the forum!

Anytime someone comes here saying they have gotten off Methadone I do a hop, skip, and jump, and give that person a high five because I know from experience just what they have accomplished. I spent years on that garbage and my dose was well above 200mgs daily. Hated, hated Methadone. So kudo's to you for the upcoming jump.

And the way you tapered is also impressive. Too many make the grave listake of thinking they can jump from a very high dose, or taper too aggressively and find out what they are in for quickly. You tapered the right way and that will allow you to have the least amount of symptoms possible.

Keep in mind that you were on the mdone for years so you shouldn't expect things to get better immediately. Some symptoms are going to be present no matter what. Take the attitude that you're done with it and you'll be fine. Try items from the Thomas Recipe, minus the benzo it suggests unless you've been taking a benzo under the order of your doctor. They are way too addictive to mess around with. Here's the link to the Thomas Recipe below....

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

Exercise will take you far and help you to feel better quickly. Also getting out of the house is crucila to feeling better. Drink lots and lots of fluids to help flush out the remaining toxins. Methadone has a long half life so it can remain in your system a while. Exercising and pounding down the fluids helps rid your body of those toxins. Try Melatonin and/or Sleepy Time Tea made real strong for sleep issues. That's usually the last symptoms that returns to normal so plan on that. And keep posting as that helps too. You'll receive a tremendous amount of help and support here.

All the best to you Britt. The other side is the best ever!

Randy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-21-2017 at 09:04 AM.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey Randy! Thank you so much. I came here for advice/support in getting through this. I'm very determined to be done with methadone. It's great to hear from others like you who have successfully accomplished what I hope to. Also congratulations to you for getting off the methadone! I think a lot of this is mental. When I try to be positive instead of thinking to myself how >>>>>> I feel it helps, it is hard though. I agree about how getting out of the house helps too! Also just wanted to add that I have been clean off all other drugs during my time on methadone and I worked very hard to keep my dose as low as possible. There was never a time in those 6 years where my dose held me any longer than 24 hours. Exercise seems impossible right now but I will try to get as much as I can! How long did it take for you before you started to feel better again? And thanks again for your reply it means a lot!

Britt
    Randy35 and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Hey Randy! Thank you so much. I came here for advice/support in getting through this. I'm very determined to be done with methadone. It's great to hear from others like you who have successfully accomplished what I hope to. Also congratulations to you for getting off the methadone! I think a lot of this is mental. When I try to be positive instead of thinking to myself how >>>>>> I feel it helps, it is hard though. I agree about how getting out of the house helps too! Also just wanted to add that I have been clean off all other drugs during my time on methadone and I worked very hard to keep my dose as low as possible. There was never a time in those 6 years where my dose held me any longer than 24 hours. Exercise seems impossible right now but I will try to get as much as I can! How long did it take for you before you started to feel better again? And thanks again for your reply it means a lot!

Britt

I actually went the Suboxone route. I tapered the Methadone to about 10mgs daily then switched to Suboxone. Spent around 9 months on the subs by choice to curb my addicitve thoughts and behaviors. Tapered off the subs without very much trouble. I researched the Suboxone endlessly beforehand. It was the right choice for me.

Others that have tapered off Methadone report a wide variety of symptoms that last different amounts of time. It depends on how a person tapers, how fast, how many mgs they reduce, and what dose they eventually jump from. Those that have followed a plan similar to yours seem to have symptoms that last between a week and 2 weeks. Of course everyone is different with different metabolisms.

If you could taper lower than 1mg it would definitely help lessen any symptoms. But if you're done you're done andi get that.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Thanks so much Randy! I actually have a little bit of suboxone but not enough to taper with. If I took a piece here and there would it set me back? My clinic gives the liquid methadone and said 1mg was the lowest I could go. Today I feel depressed and felt like it took all my energy just to stand and take a shower... I know that sounds ridiculous. Other than that and the achy legs I have been ok. No stomach issues so that's good. I actually decided to just get rid of my 1mg dose for today... I think it's just prolonging the inevitable. I got this though, I can't wait to live without needing a dose of something everyday.

Britt

Thanks so much Randy! I actually have a little bit of suboxone but not enough to taper with. If I took a piece here and there would it set me back? My clinic gives the liquid methadone and said 1mg was the lowest I could go. Today I feel depressed and felt like it took all my energy just to stand and take a shower... I know that sounds ridiculous. Other than that and the achy legs I have been ok. No stomach issues so that's good. I actually decided to just get rid of my 1mg dose for today... I think it's just prolonging the inevitable. I got this though, I can't wait to live without needing a dose of something everyday.

Britt

Hey Britt -

If you're going to even consider using Suboxone then PLEASE use it correctly. That means having enough subs to do a proper induction and subsequent taper. Our Suboxone therapy plan takes about 6-8 weeks from start to the final jump. Thousands have used it successfully, including myself. Subs are never intended to be taken on an "as needed" basis. And yes, it will only prolong your misery if you use it in the manner you speak of.

If I were you, and down to 1mg of Methadone, I would NOT consider using the Suboxone. I would do my best to treat any wd symptoms with vitamins and supplements, exercise, and plenty of fluids. Maybe try the Thomas Recipe. I gave you the link earlier. You're not going to feel better overnight, it will take some time to get all the Methadone out of your system. Just how long varies from person to person.

If you were on 20mgs - 40mgs of Methadone then I would suggest you switch to the subs, but definitely not now.

Randy

Ok I will not bother using any suboxone at all then. I'm actually feeling pretty good. This is day 3 for me off Methadone. Legs are better, only problem is the low energy now but it seems to be getting better. Is the worst still ahead? I actually felt worse than this while still tapering. Or maybe it comes in waves? Good days and bad? I don't know but if this is as bad as it gets then I'll be fine. I heard horror stories about getting off even with tapering and was expecting a lot worse. Trying to be positive but I did hear sometimes day 5 is when it really hits.

Britt

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Britt, welcome to the forum.. stay positive don't wait for the other shoe to drop it might not. Go back and read Randy's suggestions alot of good advice there.
    Congratulations I quit methadone now clean almost 14 months it's the best decision I have made for myself. It's possible it's not a cake walk but life without that Garbage Today is amazing.
    Keep moving forward. Proud of You..
    We are all here to support you...
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-24-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Thank you so much Lvg! I appreciate the support and your reply. Yes I agree about Randy's suggestions they have been a big help! Congratulations on 14 months! That's amazing! And happy holidays to you!

Britt
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hello Britt, been sooo Busy holidays and all that good stuff..
    Hang in there... Drink plenty of water did I say drink plenty of Water...keep your mind active get up get moving.. it will help I promise you. I'll be in and out keep reading and posting here to help support you in anyway...be well.

Hello Lvg! Thank you... I'm trying to drink lots of water. Still feeling about the same just low energy and a little bit of chills/sweats but now I'm sick with a cold so it's hard to tell what is what right now. Can't wait to feel better! Thanks for your support! Ill check back in tomorrow.

Britt
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hello Britt, keep it up you can do this. Just think of it like a bad flu and I promise you this too shall pass. Like a kidney stone but will pass lol. I sweated for ever I mean forever that was the worst for me. But Britt I'm almost 14 months clean off that garbage it's a whole new life. Here to support you girl. Keep posting..
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hello Lvg! Thank you... I'm trying to drink lots of water. Still feeling about the same just low energy and a little bit of chills/sweats but now I'm sick with a cold so it's hard to tell what is what right now. Can't wait to feel better! Thanks for your support! Ill check back in tomorrow.

Britt

Hello Britt -

You are doing Awesome! Methadone is a true BEAST to detox from and you're doing it. This is a dangerous time for most addicts. The wd symptoms drag on and we know a pill or two will help so much. But all it does it put you right back to day one again. Keep fighting Britt, you got this!!

Randy

Hey guys! Thanks so much for checking up on me Lvg and Randy! I feel terrible today I think it's because I'm sick and going through WD. But I'm going to keep on pushing through! Today is day 6 for me off Methadone. And it's really not as bad as I thought. I can do this. At how many days in if my WD symptoms don't get worse would you guys say I'm in the clear? I know everyone is different but just a general idea? Thanks so much for the support and suggestions it means a lot.

Britt
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey Britt. I just wanted to tell you I've been lurking in the shadows keeping up on your story. But I just wanted to pop in and say congratulations on day 6!! I unfortunately do not know much about mdone, except that it's a real bear. I tip my hat to you! You are a warrior!! So in that respect I'm not gonna give you any timelines and what not. Just give you some shakes of lvg's pom pom's, and cheer you on and I'll be here for you!! You can't go wrong following Randy and lvg. They know their stuff. If you need to complain please go right ahead. It helps, and we all have done it!

So again welcome, and Congratulations!!!
    Proud of you!!
    Beef

Hello Britt, Congratulations on day 6...
    Everyone is different but just for today make it to midnight than worry about tomorrow...tomorrow....stay hydrated keep active you got this girl...
    Everyday clean is a good day keep racking up those clean days..

Hey Beef and Lvg! Thanks you all are the best. I'm so glad I found this forum because it really helps. Still not feeling the best today but I'm making it. I am proud of myself for finally doing this. I got stuck in the clinic for so long because I was afraid to get off and now I don't know what I was waiting for. I already feel more like myself and I'm excited to start the new year fresh and clean! Thanks for the support and encouragement. Lvg you are right I will focus on just one day at a time. I needed to hear that today. You guys give good suggestions and have been a huge help.

Britt

Good Morning Britt, just checking in on you today. Hope all is going well. Update us when you can..

Good morning Lvg. I'm doing ok, hanging in there. Mostly I'm ok but yesterday and still today my head feels so foggy. Like almost like I'm high but not. I don't know how to describe it but it's so weird and I don't like it. Anyone else have this? I feel like I can't think straight. Day 8 today, hoping this foggyness goes away.

Britt
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hello Britt you don't have to explain it I lived it that foggy brain just know it's all normal part of the process believe me everyone here promised that this too shall pass and you know what Britt it did and I can now promise you it will. You have to take forward positive actions don't dwell on the negatives you are right where you need to be. I'm so proud of you. Keep it up..here to support you..

Hello Lvg! Thanks for your reply, it makes me feel better knowing it's not just me. Thanks also for the encouragement it's really what I needed today. Day 9, still hanging in there and trying to be positive. I can do this!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey Britt, Methadone is a whole other beast hang tough yes stay positive I'm telling you I keep dwelling on the negatives of the withdrawals made it 100 times worse. I didn't move off the couch I stayed locked up in side by myself just pitiful the mail box to me was like running a 5k ughh get up Keep moving. Once I got up and started moving things progressed much quicker. This was the hardest thing I have done in life by far but it's possible I'm shy of 14 months off the garbage and I promise you Life for me is so fulfilling.. those chains don't hold me down anymore. Keep posting Britt we are all here to support you..

Hey Lvg, I agree there it sure is. I'm so glad to be off that stuff. Yesterday I got out of the house for most of the day and it really does help! Keeping busy and staying positive today. It's day 10, still in a brain fog. But honestly other than that and the chills/sweats most symptoms seem to be going away. Staying strong today. Thanks so much Lvg your support and encouragement means more than you know. It makes me even more hopeful talking to others like yourself who have made it. Almost 14 months is amazing! I'll check back in soon. Happy New Year!

Britt
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey Britt yeah another day clean off the garbage. You sound amazing... Keep moving!! Me to when I first cold turkey I came to this forum broken beat down with all the support here I'm so grateful Today. I just can't express in words Today how I appreciate all who shared there Support with me this bunch is wonderful...you can do this girl I have hope for you. There will be bad days and good days just know the bad will pass til one day your just going about Life.... keep posting Britt..
    I'm Proud of You...

Good Morning Britt Checking in on you today let us know how it's going..

Good morning Lvg. Thanks so much for checking in on me. I’m alright, keeping busy keeps my mind off it. Day 11 today and still feeling about the same. Which I’m taking as a positive because it could be worse! The support on this forum has been amazing... you guys are the best! I’ll keep posting to let you know how I’m doing. Thanks Lvg!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Congratulations Britt

Thanks Lvg! I’m still doing alright, day 12. Have a bunch of things to get done today so I’m glad I’ll be busy. Hope you are doing well!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey guys... just wanted to update to say I’m still doing good. Day 22 today... can’t believe it’s already been 3 weeks. Most symptoms are gone just struggling with a bit of low energy some days and the sweats/chills here and there. Thanks again to everyone for all your support!

Britt
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Congratulations on day 22!!! So happy for you. It keeps getting better! Great update!!

Beef
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast