Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By saddad1
  • 1 Post By cheeky
Gotta few ?'s :-)
    OneEyedWilly is offline New Member

Default Gotta few ?'s :-)

So I am new here & had a few questions. Not sure which section to put it in. This is gonna have to do. So, I was seeing a doctor who sadly is known at a few hospitals as "The Candy Man". I think that speaks for itself. I have been seeing him for a few years & just can't stand the man. Anyways, I lost my medical insurance a year or so ago & am just poor white trash & am now on Medi-Cal. So, my ambien is covered by medi.

I take the following. 350 MG of soma up to 4x a day.
    Vicodin 7.5/750 MG 4/day
    Xanax 1MG 4/day
    And the ambien.

So I was talking to the pharmacist last week & he said that because medi-cal won't cover regular ole xanax OR soma, he gave me some alternatives. I looked up the alternatives & was kinda iffy about whether I should even mention them to my NEW doctor [the candy man can kiss my white rear end. I think he has his own little stash of medication].

The alternatives that the pharmacist recommended are because it is what medi-cal covers. It is the following.. [I am not sure on the MG though]

Instead of xanax - ATIVAN OR KLONOPIN [he said that he recommends klonopin because he has less side effects then xanax.. Or something like that]

Instead of soma - BACLOFEN.

The reason why I take the xanax is I was diagnosed w/PTSD when I was 18, was in a car accident [drunk driver hit me. THANKS!] 3 1/2 years ago & had PPD after my son was born.
    Soma is clearly for my back, thanks to that car accident & I also have ovarian cysts & for some strange reason, when the pain from my ovary is bad, soma tends to like.. Make the pain a little more bearable.
    The vicodin is for my TMJ & my dental problems.
    And I also suffer from migraines.

I guess my question is.. I KNOW. I KNOWWWWWWWWWW that when I run low on my 'scripts that I start w/d's. I get the sh*ts, I get moody, b*tchy, mean, AWFUL. Cannot sleep. You name it, I get it. Even though medi-cal will cover the above mentioned. Does anyone think it is even worth it to switch? I mean, I get everything BUT ambien @ Costco & they are actually fairly cheap. I read the baclofen is for MS patients.. I don't have MS. I do have back issues. But, I also try to see my chiropractor at least once a month for my back & my TMJ issues..

I dunno. I am just confused. I tried reading up on the medication medi-cal will cover & I was like is it even worth it?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-23-2012 at 02:54 PM.

cheeky is offline Member

klonopin is longer lasting and easier to get off. (if you want to get off that is)

yup, you are a classic 'legal' drug addict. if you run out early every month, that is a sign for you. its only going to get worse from here, and you are putting a lot of acitaminophen (sp) in your body each day which is really bad for your liver.

good luck. dont know about baclofen, so cant comment on that. i do know that soma can also be a problem for some people. but definately the vicodin. very addictive.

saddad1 is offline Member

Looking at the dosage it seems like a lot...

Be honest with yourself. Are you taking the meds exactly as prescribed or are you 'helping yourself' a little more than you should be? After my experiences with opiates I would urge you, no matter the source or severity of the pain, to try and kick those asap. My pelvis sacrum and lumbar5 are dislocated with a herniated disc...sure, not broken, but I've found the pain is SO much more manageable OFF the opiates than it was ON them. I've read about the phenomenon and it is pretty common for opiate users to experience fair less pain off medication than when they're on it. Same with the benzo (xanax etc.) and anxiety. 4mgs a day of xanax is scary man...I would pass out if I took any more than .5MGs during the day.

Regardless, know this...doctors get kickbacks and bonuses for making more pharmaceutical sales. Western medicine is a business more than anything else. Rarely do our doctors aim to cure anything, just treat symptoms. It is to encourage competition in the drug market and drive sales. When you consider that they push LOTS of addictive medications on people who are suffering it seems criminal. I would strive to get off any and everything you can and try to find more holistic methods of treating your symptoms and finding a realistic solution to your problems. Pipe dream? Yeah maybe, but meds just scare the life out of me now.

I'm sorry if this wasn't very helpful as I don't really address your real questions, but for what it's worth you CAN get off all of it if you really want to. I would suggest thinking about that and coming up with a realistic and healthy plan for moving forward from where you are.

Good luck. Please post often and let us know how you are doing and what we can do to help!
    OneEyedWilly likes this.

Yeah, I don't want to freak you out or anything but I was talking a lot of hydrocodone/aceto for a prolonged period and I did extensive liver damage. Don't really know how much yet, but I've been drawing blood twice a week for 3 weeks and had an ultrasound to try and figure out exactly how bad it is.

All these drugs cause fallout if used for too long or improperly at all. There is only so much our bodies can handle...

OneEyedWilly is offline New Member

Thank you for the quick responses. And saddad.. In answer to your first question.. Am I taking the meds as prescribed OR am I helping myself a little more then I should be. The answer is yes AND no. No, because when I do get adjusted, it just takes my pain away.. For a minute. And for those few days that I have mild pain, I do cut back. When my pain gets too much to bear. I do take a few more then what is recommended.

Sad.. I totally KNOW my doctor MR. CANDY MAN [how pathetic is that?] gets kick backs. The things I have heard him tell his other patients while I have waited for him to speak to me in broken Asian? english, is crazy. He pushes vicodin like you would push a baby in a stroller. He pushes Symbicort like you wouldn't believe, thinks everyone should be on blood pressure medication if your BP is a smidge higher then he would prefer.. Plus, he really caters to older people who are on their way out.. And gives them the 'good stuff'..

CHEEKY, with regards to running out... It is because my husband & myself are on the SAME medications [except he gets .5MG of xanax], our prescription pick up schedule is off by 20 days [30 for the ambien]. So, we will use what I have until it is time to get his, then we will use HIS until it is time to get mine. Although, there have been a handful of times where I will admit that I used up a 15 day supply in SEVEN days. When I start upping what I take, it is usually because I am in need of a root canal [used to be a drug addict, meth]. I am notorious for having a dental emergency approx. every 6 months [knock on wood, it's been 7 months since my last r.c.]. So, yeah, we do run LOW, but because I get 1MG of xanax, I just break it up & wolla.. I have 2 .5MG's of xanax.

I know that there is so much a body can handle saddad.. My father died of an accidental O.D. back in 1999. My mother was an alcoholic, which just about killed her 16 years ago back in 1995-ish.

Anyways, so yeah, I was just wondering about the alternatives to the medications. Call me a "legal" drug addict if you want. I take what I take because if I don't. Good Lord.. I would be 200% useless to my son & husband. As I joke when the pain in my jaws, ovary, back etc get too bad.. I just wanna go play in heavy traffic. Everyone has their issues for why they take what they take, or what they USED to take. I do not intend to continue to be a familiar face at the pharmacy for the rest of my life, because I KNOW what using LEGAL 'scripts can lead to. I saw it w/my dad.

I am contemplating what to type, because I feel that it will be to justify what I am taking & why. I generally have a rule that I will not justify stuff, because it ends up sounding like excuses. And I have backspaced so much stuff because it sounds like.. Excuses. But, in reality, what I was GOING to do was explain fairly detailed why I take what for. Like, it goes beyond ovarian cysts, TMJ, really painful periods [being a girl sucks @ times I tell ya].. But, I decided against it, because I don't know if I will be told.. "Oh 1 eyed willy [from the goonies btw] sure sounds like you are making excuses].

Alright, this has been a blast. Will keep you guys updated I guess. Will probably troll around here & see what this is about. Done the rehab thing when I was 19 [I am 31 1/2 now], so I am not totally stupid regarding the consequences of legal or illegal drugs.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-24-2012 at 03:11 AM.

cheeky is offline Member

yup. you are unfortunately heading down a slippery slope. sure, its all above board, but even saying you and your husband take each others till pick up day, well thats classic addict behaviour. why doesnt each of your scripts just work out for the individual concerned, only drug addicts do that. not people just taking it for the right reasons. you dont have to explain anything to anyone. just me and saddad pointing out, well, yeh, you are a drug addict, doesnt matter how long ago you did rehab, i can see another one in your future if you stay on this track.

i did rehab twice in my early 20's, thought i had it all worked out. fast forward 20 years and im a hard core opiate addict, on a methadone program.

it will catch up on you one day mate. you talk about being 200% useless to your family, well, how about being a sober straight mommy, that might just be a lot better than being zoned out on opiates, benzos and muscle relaxers every day. not fair on the kids no matter how you justify it...

there really is help around to get off. sounds like you sure dont want to be tied to pharmacys, doctors, script times etc, the longer you leave it to start getting clean, the harder it is going to be, and with known addiction issues, you are gonna have a battle on your hands if you keep going.... please take this in the spirit it is intended, not to be harsh and mean, just a total stranger seeing your words, and red flags are popping up all over the place.

take care
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-24-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    Mylife4me likes this.

I didn't mean to point a finger or anything and put you on the defensive. Not like that at all. I just had some concern I guess. No justifications needed for me. Sorry I can't really give you info you wanted on getting the meds or dropping any off the regiment. Keep us posted though. Somebody here will come through in the next couple days I'm sure and have some real valuable info for you.

stayingtough is offline Junior Member

I feel for you,I really do. You are in a tough spot. My doctor said it very clearly to me she said " Your generation is screwed. In the 70's docs we were getting sued for not treating pain..now..well look what we have, a overwhelming portion of the population so hooked it's not even close to funny."
    In your case, it's certainly sounds like you really do need them. I think what people here,and myself, are trying to warn you of is simply be so VERY careful. You already have an addictive personality and that my friend is scary enough.
    I too had a doc that would seriously write me ANYTHING. 120 hydros, two wks. later 120 perks. Sick huh?? Then all of a sudden I was wishing like hell I was back to the old me, the one that took maybe 2-3 a day if that. lol, I found myself saying ALOT "well at least I'm not shooting up." Anything to make myself feel better.
    Best of luck, keep us posted, and when you decide enough is enough..WE got your back!!!

ARTIST658 is offline Advanced Member

OneEyedWilly,

The withdrawals you experience are clear signs of dependency. The cocktail of meds you are taking are not only serious and highly addictive, they can easily be lethal. Mixing benzos (i.e., xanax, ativan, klonopin, etc.) routinely with opiates (vicodan) is a recipe for accidental suicide. Both drugs (not to mention the soma) suppress your breathing - and can easily cause you to stop breathing in your sleep, slip into a coma... and that can result in death. Most of the celebrity names you hear on the news with overdoses came from mixing opiates and benzos.

You are addicted, plain and simple. There's a dozen red flags that signify addiction. Cheeky was right, even if you didn't *like* how direct she is when she speaks. She knows her stuff when it comes to this disease. You come from 2 parents with this disease - and were already in treatment by age 19. You said, "I am not totally stupid regarding the consequences of legal or illegal drugs." Whaaat? Knowing about addiction means squat - it's what we DO that matters. No amount of knowledge can keep us from addiction. It is a disease - and once we have that disease, we have it for life. There is no returning to "control" after we've lost "control." The fact that you were in rehab 12 years ago says it all - you have the disease. Now what are you going to do about it?

The withdrawal is harsh - no two ways about it. But the only way out of this nightmare is to first get past the physical withdrawals. It doesn't last forever, and it's actually a small price to pay for recovery. The detox off the opiates is over within 5-7 days.

So much of your story mimics my own past history, right down to the migraines, TMJ and female problems. I justified my own drug use and abuse for a long time with these issues. But guess what, you don't need opiates or benzos to deal with these things. It's like you're treating a sprain with a full body cast - or killing a mouse with a hand-grenade. It's overkill. In fact, opiates are very likely to be ADDING to your pain. Rebound headaches are very, very common. We take the opiate for the pain - and the pain "rebounds" a few hours later - and we take more... and continue, ad nauseum. Opiates and benzos are far too much medication for migraines, TMJ or PPD. You're seeing an irresponsible, unaccountable doctor to gain these drugs - what does that say? What would happen if you saw a reputable, responsible doctor? Do you think s/he would prescribe such drugs for these symptoms? I seriously doubt it.

If you have to stoop to see a quack of a doctor -that you loathe- to get the drugs you want, that speaks volumes.

Benzos are intended for SHORT TERM USE ONLY. They were not tested for - nor intended for - long-term use. Physical dependency occurs quite quickly, and the detox off them is a long, difficult one. It is NOT the right drug for PPD anyway!!! That would need an antidressant, NOT a benzodiazepene! In fact, a drug like xanax is more likely to ADD to depression, than to relieve it. I've often seen folks spiral into suicidal depression after long-term use of benzos.

My greatest concern, however, is your child. That innocent boy has 2 addicted parents, and you have no idea how that is changing him. An addicted parent can not be emotionally present for their child. No matter how you try, that's all there is to it. Drugs alter our thinking and emotions, and what you give him is an altered parent. That's a hellish existance for a child. You owe him more.

I work in the field of substance abuse, in a long-term treatment center; I see Moms like you every day at work. You may think my words are harsh, but it's the harsh reality that I'm trying to show you via a computer screen. It's time to grow up and learn how to cope with life without popping a pill. It's time to grow up and be a responsible parent. Substituting addictive drugs with other addictive drugs is no answer. These drugs keep us emotionally stunted, with limited coping skills. This is not any kind of role modeling for your child! If you want him to have a better life - a life free of drug addiction - he needs to learn NOW how to deal with life's difficulties - and what he learns is by copying his parents. He will do what he sees you do, plain and simple.

And I haven't even begun to mention the potential harm you put him in when you or your husband drive!!! (And how about every other innocent person out on the road when you're driving???) And how well would either of you respond in a real emergency with your child, when drugs are numbing your thinking/feeling?

If the withdrawal is more than you can deal with, go in-patient for detoxing. A week or two in-patient is a small price to pay for life-long recovery. The only drug you can not stop abruptly is the xanax (or any other benzo) - as stopping suddenly can result in seizures or death. Detox involved a long, gradual taper off the drug - and it is best if you take an anti-seizure drug while doing so. I doubt Dr. Feelgood is going to help you with that; you'd need a bona fide MD.

You need to get honest with yourself. Drop the excuses, and look within at what you're doing with your life - and your son's life. Then start taking action at changing it. The truth may hurt for a moment, but what you're doing is going to cause far more harm in the long run.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.