Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JayStR
Hydrocodone Any Help Appreciated
    JayStR is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone Any Help Appreciated

I'm new and have never posted anything so here's my go at it.

27. As healthy as someone could be taking anywhere between 6-8 10/325 hydrcodone everyday without fail for 2.5 years.

Tried tapering, no self control. I work full-time unable to take time off until now. Just cashed in all my vacation time for what I'm sure will be a trip to h*ll and back. I have 13 full days off before having to return to work.

I'm very nervous but not crippled by the fear. I need to do this cold turkey. I have a list of the OTC recommended but don't know if I should go away to a cabin alone or make sure I'm with someone. If I stay hydrated, given the amount I'm taking can I seizure? What does the timeline look like.

Any help and tips are greatly appreciated.
    Catrina likes this.

ForMe30 is offline Member

Hey there,
    I'm sure someone with way more experience will be here to comment shortly as the people on here are amazing. In the meantime, 7 days seems to be the worst of the WD with them peaking at days 2-4. I don't think you'll have seizures. Imodium will be your best friend. I took 5-8 Imodium a day. Drink lots of water and find things to keep you busy. Blast the music and find some shows/movies on Netflix that you can binge watch.

One day at a time is the best advice given to me.
    Good luck!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayStR View Post
    I'm new and have never posted anything so here's my go at it.

27. As healthy as someone could be taking anywhere between 6-8 10/325 hydrcodone everyday without fail for 2.5 years.

Tried tapering, no self control. I work full-time unable to take time off until now. Just cashed in all my vacation time for what I'm sure will be a trip to h*ll and back. I have 13 full days off before having to return to work.

I'm very nervous but not crippled by the fear. I need to do this cold turkey. I have a list of the OTC recommended but don't know if I should go away to a cabin alone or make sure I'm with someone. If I stay hydrated, given the amount I'm taking can I seizure? What does the timeline look like.

Any help and tips are greatly appreciated.
    Hi and Welcome!

Cold turkey is not dangerous. Uncomfortable, but not at all dangerous. Becoming dehydrated is the greatest risk so just be sure to drink, drink, drink!! Plain old fashioned water, Gatorade, vitamin infused water or anything else that you like. Avoid caffeine because you're probably going to have a tough time getting some sleep and the jitters will all be a part of it.

You are wise, in my opinion, to give this your best shot cold turkey. I never could taper either. If we could control our use, we probably wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. Some can do it, not me! The 13 days you have off from work is plenty of time to get through the acute detox symptoms and you'll be left feeling like you're just getting over a bad flu. The worst of the physical symptoms should be passed at around five days. You can expect frequent bathroom trips but Immodium will handle that symptom quite well. Don't be afraid to take them as the box instructs you. The other things to expect are all over body aches and most (but not all) people get restless legs (worst symptom for me!). Hot/cold flashes another unpleasant symptom. Sleep will be elusive for those first days and you'll have trouble for awhile after too.

Things to do include taking the comfort meds from the Thomas Recipe but avoiding the benzos unless you've already been taking them. Take lots of hot baths and I used two heating pads for my legs and my back that helped with the RLS and aches. Get up and move around as often as you can. Walk around the yard or do some light chores. You won't feel like it but it absolutely helps. Don't forget to eat. Protein rich is best. I made protein shakes using almond milk, berries, a little raw honey, protein powder and ice cubes. Toss it all into a blender.

Whether you get away by yourself or do this at home where there might be help is entirely up to you. I didn't want anyone around me and just wanted to be left alone. But that's me. Whenever I don't feel good, the last thing I want is someone asking me if I need anything. Just leave me alone.

Hide the clocks! Time will crawl by and I don't know what it's all about but when we are detoxing, time becomes the most important thing in the world. Always wanting to know how much time has passed. That'll just frustrate you. Prepare yourself with Netflix, books, anything to occupy your mind because you're going to have a lot of awake hours. I have had plenty of experience with cold turkey and I now have over 7 1/2 years clean. Every time I did this, the symptoms and timeline was very predictable. I'd take my final dose before bed. The following day, my Day 1, was never that bad. I was able to go to work--which helps to pass at least that first day--by late afternoon, I would begin to feel like I was getting sick and once the symptoms began to appear, they rapidly got worse until they peaked sometime between 24 and 30 hours from my last dose and remain consistent until Day 5. I think that this is true for most people. The symptoms didn't subside gradually but instead, on Day 5 the aches were gone and my legs became still.

Get excited that you will have this behind you soon. The symptoms are what they are so try to accept them, treat them as best you can and just know that most of the discomfort will be gone in about 5 days. Getting into the right frame of mind BEFORE you begin will make a huge difference. A big part of the anxiety is just anticipating what we're going to have to go through. If you're able to get a "bring it on" attitude, it'll go a long way. So much of recovery is the mental part. Inability to sleep lasted for several weeks for me before it began to get better. It's a gradual process and one of the hardest parts of this but it will get better. It always does. The bathroom trips lasted beyond the first five days too but that didn't bother me. I just kept Immodium with me at all times.

Finally, post here often. It's amazing how much that helps. I spent those sleepless nights just reading thread after thread. The longer the better. This without question was the best way to pass the time. Good luck and don't disappear.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-05-2017 at 08:59 AM.

TheCib is offline Member

Hey,

I'm only 5 days clean but wanted to pass along my best wishes to you

People on this site are amazing. Stay in touch posting and reading

My advice as meager as it may be is get a plan together and don't deviate. I spent the first 48 hours alone but that's just me.

Don't be scared but embrace what is coming your way. Freedom from addiction.

If you get a chance get to an NA meeting. Seriously. Try and get a sponser

After reading your thread it sounds like you are ready to start your journey.

I'll keep an eye on your post and will reply as often as I can

Remember this, the journey is different for each individual. Find what brings you happiness and stick with it

Just for today

I hope you get the above phrase soon

blondie50ish is offline Member

Sounds to me like you have a very well thought out plan, taking off the 13 days and having the OTC meds on hand. I don't think you necessarily have to go away and be alone - but you will want to be alone, that is for sure, especially the first week. As others said, you are not in danger of having a seizure. My bet is that at age 27 you won't even need those 13 days for physical recovery. Your challenge, like all of us who are addicts, is the mental part when our bodies start to recover, the resisting "oh I can just take one". Keep in mind one too many, a thousand not enough. Someone told me that years ago and I've not forgotten it. It's helped me through rehab. Also, you have to go through it, you can't go around it. But once you have gone through it you will feel like you are a better person for it, trust me on that. It makes you stronger. You can do this. We have your back. Jump on and give us an update, have you kicked yet and if so where are you in the process?