• 1 Post By Tess54
  • 1 Post By Leah987
  • 1 Post By Tess54
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Leah987
I’m new here
    Tess54 is offline New Member

Default I’m new here

I’m almost completely off my prescription pain meds. All I take is a tiny little nibble off a corner of a pill. But can’t believe how much my body is still wanting the drug. Is the pull just as strong when taking almost minuscule amounts? I get so down on myself sometimes because it’s been 4 months of weaning and am still feeling lethargic and tightness in chest among other symptoms.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Tess, welcome to the forums! What medicine exactly have you been tapering off? Don't be down on yourself, you're working to get off the meds and reclaim your life, which is all that matters.

Taking even a minuscule amount can keep your body wanting more. The hardest part I had with my tapers is I always thought I needed more. Just keeping it in my systems, even at lower doses, just never seemed to be enough. It sounds like you're working to be done with it though, so good on you!
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

I have fibromyalgia or had it anyway. Seems my pain is almost barely negligible now though. But for 20+ years I took hudrocodone 10/325 up to 5 a day and I weaned down to 3 a day 4 months ago and also methadone 20 mgs a pill 3 x’s daily for the last 6 years appprox. Weaned down to 10 mgs 2x’s a day 4 months ago and now off hydrocodone for a month and still take a tiny nibble of methadone everyday to every day and a half. I stopped going to my pain dr for more about 3 months ago, I think.
    Should I just go cold turkey now and suffer the withdrawals?
    I’m no spring chicken so I can’t help wonder if I’m taking years off my life doing this but I hate being dependent on them. Over a year ago I moved and misplaced my prescriptions for a month and went cold turkey. It was the worst time of my entire life. I went to er 3 x’s because I was scared of what my body was doing. Those drs were so rude to me. Treated me like a nobody. I think that cinched it for me right then that I was getting off these once and for all.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-12-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Misspelled
    DravenDomnq likes this.

Oh and thank you for the welcome!
    DravenDomnq likes this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

I don't have any personal experience with methadone, so hopefully somebody more familiar with it will be by to offer their suggestions. The hydro/oxy I do have a lot of experience with. If you're taking that little though, then I'm guessing you'd be about at the end of what you could taper so would be time to make the decision to just be done with it.

I understand the pain associated with fibro very well, is something I've dealt with most my life. I will say that I never thought I would be able to function without the meds I was taking, but now after being clean just over a year I'm able to do more than I ever did on the meds. I thought it would make my suffering worse, but really didn't.

I've found a lot of other ways to manage that pain, and some things I always did help a lot more than they did while being on the meds. Like very hot baths, something I've always had to take. Now they seem to soak into my muscles even more without the meds dulling the sensation. I still get flares, but really overall life has become better by just using otc meds like ibuprofen and certain ointments instead of being dependent on all the prescription pain meds.

No matter what you decide to do, there will be some amazing support on these forums.

Leah987 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tess54 View Post
    I’m almost completely off my prescription pain meds. All I take is a tiny little nibble off a corner of a pill. But can’t believe how much my body is still wanting the drug. Is the pull just as strong when taking almost minuscule amounts? I get so down on myself sometimes because it’s been 4 months of weaning and am still feeling lethargic and tightness in chest among other symptoms.
    Tess, welcome to the forum....and I agree with Draven. Don't be down on yourself. You are doing great. I tapered down and up, down and up for over 2 years on here before I finally broke free. My and hub's doctors cutt us off all pain pills, so we had no choice. Hang in there! I was on tramadol and hydrocodone, have been off them both for 8 months now.....YAY me! If it weren't for these headaches and neck pain, I'd be doing great.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.
    .....Ryka-Leah

Thanks for your input. I guess I want some magic pill to make it all easier but it sounds like I just got to ride out the rest of the storm. It’s so frustrating to feel so unmotivated. Blah. That’s my biggest pitfall. I start thinking this is just who I am and it won’t ever get better. And because I haven’t been as active I get winded so easily now. Or is that one of the symptoms of w/d’s too?
    Leah987 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

I have fibromyalgia or had it anyway. Seems my pain is almost barely negligible now though. But for 20+ years I took hudrocodone 10/325 up to 5 a day and I weaned down to 3 a day 4 months ago and also methadone 20 mgs a pill 3 x’s daily for the last 6 years appprox. Weaned down to 10 mgs 2x’s a day 4 months ago and now off hydrocodone for a month and still take a tiny nibble of methadone everyday to every day and a half. I stopped going to my pain dr for more about 3 months ago, I think.
    Should I just go cold turkey now and suffer the withdrawals?
    I’m no spring chicken so I can’t help wonder if I’m taking years off my life doing this but I hate being dependent on them. Over a year ago I moved and misplaced my prescriptions for a month and went cold turkey. It was the worst time of my entire life. I went to er 3 x’s because I was scared of what my body was doing. Those drs were so rude to me. Treated me like a nobody. I think that cinched it for me right then that I was getting off these once and for all.

Hi Tess -

Oh, theres certainly no magic pill, or no magic formula that will ease you through this without any symptoms. I would have found it long ago I assure you. You have to be determined, and display a strong willpower to be successful.

So you're off all the drugs except the Methadone? And you're taking just a nibble of Methadone every day, or every day and a half right? What mg are the Methadone's you're taking? Are you still using the 20mgs pills?

If that is correct you should begin to taper very slow and steady off the Methadone. Take the same amount everyday and at the same time everyday. Reduce your dose by around 5% every 4 - 7 days until you're as low as you possibly can get. It will take some time to get completely off, but if you do it this way you'll have very few symptoms when you make the final jump.

You could jump now, that's your decison to make. But keep in mind that because the Methadone is a very strong drug, with a very long half life, you can expect to have some wd symptoms for a while. Just how long depends on the person as we're all different with different metabolisms.

Make a plan and stick with it. Help and support is here for you.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Thank you for the encouragement and honesty. The dosage is now 10 mg pills and only a tiny nibble of the corner of half a pill. So it’s very low but I can’t believe how strong the pull is even at this low dose. I really never had any idea how addictive these drugs were. I mean, I knew but I had no idea how strong they were. It really is the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I wish I’d have found this forum when I first started. I could have really used the help then. But I’m glad I found it now at least. It gives me hope that I won’t always feel like this.
    My negative chatter in my head keeps saying I’m 54 years old and don’t have much time left so I might as well stay on the drugs, if ya gonna take me two years to get over the w/d’s. I try to counteract that negative talk but it isn’t easy.

Leah987 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your input. I guess I want some magic pill to make it all easier but it sounds like I just got to ride out the rest of the storm. It’s so frustrating to feel so unmotivated. Blah. That’s my biggest pitfall. I start thinking this is just who I am and it won’t ever get better. And because I haven’t been as active I get winded so easily now. Or is that one of the symptoms of w/d’s too?
    No, Tess, there is no magic pill. I wished the same thing for over two years. Wishing doesn't make it true, unfortunately. I kept looking for a magic lamp, so maybe the genie would come out and grant me my wish, but....didn't happen. My withdrawal seemed to last longer than I thought it would....tiredness and lethargy, insomnia, and rls seemed to hang on for a couple weeks,but it was worth it to get off those things. I wasn't active either. Was so tired all the time. I still have days when I'm like that. But, that's probably just normal for me, I dunno'. I still have a night when I don't sleep every now and then. One night, I can handle. You'll have more energy eventually. I know you get so tired of being tired. Hang in there, it WILL get better! I have good days and bad days now. But....I hear that's normal! How 'bout that! Me, normal?! LOL! It WILL get better! Don't give up.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.
    .....Ryka-Leah

I appreciate all the comments. It is so helpful. I think because I’ve been taking some form of pain medications for over 20 years it’s just gonna take a long time to get over these withdrawals. It’s been 4 months since I started seriously weaning. But I guess because I’m still taking a tiny nibble of the methadone it’s keeping my body dependent. I’m gonna try to just go without that nibble at this point. It’s just that I feel like I can’t get anything much done while this is happening. I have people and pets that depend on me and it’s hard to do what I need to do. But I have support. So hopefully they’ll understand if I’m not up to all of my responsibilities for a little while longer. That little nibble helps me to keep going even if it’s a crawl. But I understand it’s just keeping the dependency going.
    I have a whole new respect for recovering addicts. I’ll never judge a person for addiction or dependency. I’m angry with drs though. They need to educate their patients before they commit to a narcotic treatment plan. Just my personal feelings. While I knew on some level, I really had no clue how much of a grip they’d have on a person until this past year.
    Best drs exercise and eating right, is there anything else that has helped with your symptoms?

***Besides exercise and eating right***