• 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By Methadone insomnia
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
Insomnia methadone need advice plz
    Methadone insomnia is offline Junior Member

Default Insomnia methadone need advice plz

Hello everyone my name is Tim..i started taking hydrocodone for 2 years straight after having multiple failed spinal fusions..i still live in excruciating lower back pain from the failed surgeries..so i had been taking norcos for 2 years for the pain,started with 3 pills a day . when those stop working i got up to 6 of 10mg norcs prescribed. I told the doctor they didn't work anymore so he ran a DNA test to see what pain medication would work Best for me and the nightmare started. I was prescribed 3 pills a day of 10mg methadone..never read about the stuff boy i wish i would have. Been using that same dose for my lower back pain over 7 months now..also been taking ambien 12.5mg slow release for over a year now because the back pain is so bad i can't sleep. Wish i would have read up on this >>>> also..both pure poison but i trusted my doctors and was desperate for some relief..i personally taper just the methone down to half a pill per day broke into 2 for morning and nite..i think i tried to taper to fast down to a quarter pill once a day and OMG are the symptoms hitting me hard..i have slept about a total of 3 hours in the past 5 days it's driving me insane..not to mention i feel very very weak and have bad body ache..the part i can't handle is no sleep it's driving me insane and making me wonder if this is even possible to keep going like this..I'm suffering all day long it's so brutal. My pain management doctor gave me Clonidine for blood pressure and Tizanidine which don't seem to be working for me. I just want to sleep maybe i tapper down to fast? Any suggestions how others got themselves off this evil drug would be so appreciated. I need help i don't think i can handle this slow taper for world and weeks with no sleep. I'm losing my mind. Any help please

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello insomnia welcome to the forum.
    What is your plan moving forward? Are you slowly tapering off the methadone.
    I for sure know you cannot abruptly stop the benzos. For me I quit the garbage cold turkey and yes it's pure hell but you have to really want this for yourself. I sure did. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. There is no magical pill to get through the withdrawals believe me I have searched everywhere. It takes time for our bodies and brain to heal from all the garbage we put in. You will not know your true pain until you get some clean time. Today one ibuprofen works. Sleep is usually the last thing to balance out. No caffeine no sugar get up get out excersise.
    Again welcome to the forum we are all here to support you.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Methadone insomnia View Post
    Hello everyone my name is Tim..i started taking hydrocodone for 2 years straight after having multiple failed spinal fusions..i still live in excruciating lower back pain from the failed surgeries..so i had been taking norcos for 2 years for the pain,started with 3 pills a day . when those stop working i got up to 6 of 10mg norcs prescribed. I told the doctor they didn't work anymore so he ran a DNA test to see what pain medication would work Best for me and the nightmare started. I was prescribed 3 pills a day of 10mg methadone..never read about the stuff boy i wish i would have. Been using that same dose for my lower back pain over 7 months now..also been taking ambien 12.5mg slow release for over a year now because the back pain is so bad i can't sleep. Wish i would have read up on this >>>> also..both pure poison but i trusted my doctors and was desperate for some relief..i personally taper just the methone down to half a pill per day broke into 2 for morning and nite..i think i tried to taper to fast down to a quarter pill once a day and OMG are the symptoms hitting me hard..i have slept about a total of 3 hours in the past 5 days it's driving me insane..not to mention i feel very very weak and have bad body ache..the part i can't handle is no sleep it's driving me insane and making me wonder if this is even possible to keep going like this..I'm suffering all day long it's so brutal. My pain management doctor gave me Clonidine for blood pressure and Tizanidine which don't seem to be working for me. I just want to sleep maybe i tapper down to fast? Any suggestions how others got themselves off this evil drug would be so appreciated. I need help i don't think i can handle this slow taper for world and weeks with no sleep. I'm losing my mind. Any help please

Hi Tim, Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you have tapered the methadone too fast and that's why you're having problems. Methadone is a beast to get off, but if you do it right you can be successful, and limit any potential wd symptoms. In your case seeing as you're on the methadone 10mg pills I would reduce your dose by 1/4 of 1 pill (.5mg) every week. Yes it will take some time, but you won't suffer either.

Methadone is very strong with a long half life. It remains in your system quite some time. If you try and reduce too fast, or lower your dose by too much you have problems as you're seeing. So start at a dose where you are stable with little or no wd symptoms then begin reducing slow and steady as I mentioned. You'll be glad you did.

As for the Anbien, that presents another problem if you're not very careful. It's highly addictive. Don't attempt to get off both that and the methadone together as it will just be too much to handle at one time. As you're tapering the methadone try not to take the ambient everyday. Spread it out or take a lower amount to lessen symptoms from that. After you're completely off the methadone and feeling better you can then work on the ambien.

How does that all sound to you?

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Thank you for the reply LVG..yes I'm trying to slow taper down i got myself from 30mg to 5mg a day right now but for the last 6 days since i started only taking 5mg i can't sleep. Also the anxiety and body ache is almost to much to handle..my doctor gave me clonidine and tizanidine but i find these medications are not of much help if any..maybe someone can recommend another method to go about getting off the methadone..my plan is to kick the methadone first..then tackle the 12.5mg Ambien(zolpidem) I'm also taking nightly..any other medications people have used to get off methadone would be greatly appreciated so i can look into them..maybe a fast taper so I'm not suffering as long? I guess since i have had so many back surgeries the body ache is really a big factor i feel so weak i can barely move and eat..i dont have a bathtub and my poor shower barely trickles out(
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Randy thank you for replying so fast..it sounds like you know what you're talking about..i agree i must have taper to fast cause i just wanted this monkey off my back..so it's like a 2month taper? Yes my plan is to stop the methadone completely and be free of symptoms..then tackle the Ambien 12.5mg..thank you Randy God bless you everyday
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Randy thank you for replying so fast..it sounds like you know what you're talking about..i agree i must have taper to fast cause i just wanted this monkey off my back..so it's like a 2month taper? Yes my plan is to stop the methadone completely and be free of symptoms..then tackle the Ambien 12.5mg..thank you Randy God bless you everyday

You're welcome. I was on methadone for years and my dose got well over 200mgs daily. I was really in trouble with that stuff. I tapered down low and switched over to suboxone then tapered off that. For me it was the best choice. I was addicted to opiates of every kind over 18 years, but now have almost 4 years clean. You can most certainly do it too.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Also if there are any other medications i can look into while I'm slow tapering the methadone for anxiety or pain, vitamins,sleeping remedies I'm open to all ideas thanks forum.

Would it be easier instead of a slow taper to quit cold turkey and get on suboxone and then taper off that be less painful?

That's amazing you got yourself down from 200mg..i must be such a baby crying about my 30mg habit..i was also taking a few norcs with the methadone as a break threw for pain but quit those cold turkey

Would it be easier instead of a slow taper to quit cold turkey and get on suboxone and then taper off that be less painful?

I would strongly suggest you avoid the Suboxone if at all possible. It's another opiate that's crazy strong and also has a very long half life. Suboxone should always be the very last choice made after you've attempted to taper or jump CT. I would not recommend you try it unless you have no other choice. Try tapering the methadone first. Give that an honest effort and you should be successful. If you can taper it's the way to go. You can certainly CT the methadone, but you'll have some pretty rough wd symptoms for quite some time. Tapering will lessen those symptoms, even remove them completely if you go slow and steady.

I had no other choice when I decided on using Suboxone. I tried to taper multiple times off different opiates and was never successful. Tried CT numerous times too and always relapsed. Only when I had exhausted all attempts did I decide on Suboxone. You're not there yet.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hi Randy..wanted to thank you again! Also curious how long you had to take the Sub for your methadone WD to go away..I'm still giving the slow taper my best shot but i just want to know all my options, and curious how you got yourself off the Sub after..one last thing was curious if you knew anything about the Ambien and what works best to stop taking it after i get done tackle the methadone..my biggest problem is i still have insane chronic pain from my 4 back surgeries in the last 2 years..I'm just sick of taking pills and the way they make me feel totally controlling my life..hope you get this Randy..thks man your an amazing guy to help people like you do

Hi Randy..wanted to thank you again! Also curious how long you had to take the Sub for your methadone WD to go away..I'm still giving the slow taper my best shot but i just want to know all my options, and curious how you got yourself off the Sub after..one last thing was curious if you knew anything about the Ambien and what works best to stop taking it after i get done tackle the methadone..my biggest problem is i still have insane chronic pain from my 4 back surgeries in the last 2 years..I'm just sick of taking pills and the way they make me feel totally controlling my life..hope you get this Randy..thks man your an amazing guy to help people like you do
    I'm happy to help all that I can, but believe me I'm not Theo only one here that's helping people on a daily basis. There are so many amazing members giving there time freely here and that's what makes this lace work so well. People like me come here asking for help, get better, then stick around to help others. It's a win-win for everyone.

As I mentioned, I abused drugs over 28 years. I was in deep losing everything I owned and loved in the process. I thought methadone was the answer, but quickly found of different. I tried everything to get clean only to relapse over and over and over, but I never gave up. I made the decision to try Suboxone after failing miserably with other methods. I remained on the subs for about 9 months by choice to get over my addictive thoughts and behaviors. I tapered off and made the final jump on July 6-7, 2014 so. I'll have 4 years clean this coming July. Being clean is the best feeling in the world. I attend NA and AA meetings to help keep myself from ever using again.

About the pain issues with your back. Believe it or not opiates can actually care more pain than they can control the pain. Once you're off all opiates for a while you can then determine what your true pain levels are. Many people realize they still have some pain, but it's nowhere near as severe as it was previously. We have one member here that has had several back surgeries and only takes Aleve to control the pain. Amazing huh.

The Ambien is highly addictive, even if used correctly. Tolerance builds quickly and it's can be a nightmare to get off. It should be tapered very slowly over time. Reducing the dose by every small amounts every 4-7 days is optimal. Work on getting off the methadone then tackle the Ambien is my suggestion.

Randy

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Default Stomach pain from methadone and Ambien
    I have severe stomach aches every morning when i wake up last about 6 hours..i been tapering off methadone last 4 week's..I'm at a quarter pill twice a day 5mg together..and 10mg Ambien for sleep..I'm working on getting off the methadone first..then will tackle the Ambien..does anyone know if these medicines Jack your stomach up..or is there anything i can take to help with the discomfort..food just doesn't sound good..any help would be greatly appreciated God bless..ALL this started after getting 4 back surgeries in the last 2 years..i been falling apart ever since then barely making it day too day..thanks for listening.

Hello Tim for me I've had stomach issues since I got clean I just started using Benefiber it seems to be working for me. Changed my diet has helped tremendously also. Cut out caffeine sugars redmeat. Be well...
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

have severe stomach aches every morning when i wake up last about 6 hours..i been tapering off methadone last 4 week's..I'm at a quarter pill twice a day 5mg together..and 10mg Ambien for sleep..I'm working on getting off the methadone first..then will tackle the Ambien..does anyone know if these medicines Jack your stomach up..or is there anything i can take to help with the discomfort..food just doesn't sound good..any help would be greatly appreciated God bless..ALL this started after getting 4 back surgeries in the last 2 years..i been falling apart ever since then barely making it day too day..thanks for listening.

I'm on week 4 day 4 still tapering down the methadone..i cut the pill now into very small pieces ..take a quarter pill and razor blade it in half so i can take 8th a pill once in morning and once at night I'm getting closer to my end game..little nervous about the full drop off when I completely stop taking it..so I'm at quarter pill a day together ..taking the taper very slow is working i would suggest anyone tapering off methadone take it slow let your body recover each time before you taper lower..thanks for all the great advice i got so far God bless..
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

zebra1961 is offline Member

hi insomnia Hey I say listen to Randy good advice no subs ( or only as very last resort very addictive ) its true that the pain killers can actually increase pain, my joint and back pain ended when I quit opiates ( funny that's what I was put on them for!!!) I thinks this occurs after we are on them too long and our dosage goes up, because originally when I was started on them they worked. Was put on meth for short time 2months I think and was tapered down then put on subs, It was rough don't want to lie. The subs were by far the worse drug to quit for me I was on them 7.5 years though. If you have to go on them I would only use them for a very short time like 2 weeks. I am no medical pro so hopefully you can get help from a doctor who deals with this. Have no experience with Ambien but I do know quitting 2 drugs at once no good at all. hope this helps keep us updated.

Thanks zebra for the good advice..i been taking my taper down off of methadone very slowly..i got some really really bad WD symptoms for 6 days no sleep when i tried to stop to fast..tomorrow I'm going to try my hardest to make my final week of tapering off down to just an 1\8th pill of methadone..i know it sounds funny but I'm cutting a quarter pill in half pieces to Try and stabilize small amount as possible before i make the final jump next week..this week will be 1/8th a pill per day, probably take it at nite to help me sleep..I'm pretty nervous about the final drop..the WD symptoms i got from trying to taper to fast were nothing to mess around with..it would be a miracle if my back pain Would go away after abusing pain medications for so long..I'm ready to give it my best shot.whole reason i ever got started was. Multiple spinal fusions i would never wish upon anybody..it's the most brutal pain you can imagine..thanks for all the support here guys and girls will keep updates coming

This is my last week tapering the methadone until i make my final jump..was on an 8th a pill morning and nite for last 10days...today i made it all day No pill and only took 8th of a pill for sleep time this week..so this whole week will be 8th a pill at bedtime only hopefully to help me sleep and next week no pills at all..I'm excited but also scared to not have my safety net..if anyone has a story how they taper down off methadone i would love to hear it..i wanted to make the jump today and just couldn't do it..so hard to take that last step..please post stories helps me sleep..thanks everyone..soon as i kick the methadone i will work on the Ambien..was on 12.5 long release Ambien..took it down to 10mg stabilized
    So far

Hour 26 no methadone making the jump..going to dig deep..here i go wish me luck

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Congratulations on day 1!! You can do this!! Stay active, stay hydrated!! Positive mindset!!!

Beef
    thefigurehead likes this.

50 HOURS CLEAN!Thanksfor the positive feedback beefaroni7272..I'm on hour 50 as of now clean from all pain medications..i have some leg pain..anxiety not to bad..cold sweats and sitting on the toilet a lot..just feel weak I'm sure it's all part of the WD...thank you everyone on this site helping me find the guts to do whats right! I will update again tomorrow..does anyone know how long till the methadone is completely out of my system..can't wait to call my family and make them proud of me.!

72 hours no methadone! Wondering how long the withdrawls last..i would say my worst symptom is not sleeping well..getting a few hours here and there

Day 6 no Methadone or percacet! Still having problems sleeping but that's also due to my 4 back surgeries in the last 2 years..I miss good sleep was the only time i can get away from chronic pain all day..somehow i pinch my neck-shoulder blades 5 weeks ago and it's been non stop persistent pain never goes away any position thinking a pinchnerve..if anyone knows anything about pinch nerves write me back some info please..this pinch nerve is driving me crazy..they say they usually fix themselves after few days and if not seek professional help maybe i should do that

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

A trip to the doctor would probably do you some good. Never hurts. Be sure to be honest with him about your history. You don't want him giving you something that will just set you back. You're doing so good!!

I know for me when I jumped from subs, my pain levels were much higher. But they eventually balanced out and now I am in much less pain than when i was using.

Congratulations on day 6!!
    Beef

that's exactly what I'm hoping for Beefaroni7272..really hope once my body regulates itself again some of my pain goes away..Thanks for writing back having this stuff to read really helps..I'm 7 days clean no methadone or peracet. So i have had the worst pinch neck of my life for 5 weeks..i visited an acupuncturist today and he clearly saw i was in bad shape with my pinch nerve in neck and low back pain from multiple spinal fusions. I wanted to share with the forum that this acupuncturist was so compassionate and worked with me today for 3 hours on my pinch nerve in neck. I can't believe it i walked out the office in 90% less pain in my neck. FOR ANYONE thinking about doing acupuncture for pain. Or especially for a pinch nerve,DO IT. I'm truly deeply starting to believe in eastern medicine. Yoga..acupuncture..herbs and vitamins for chronic pain. Deep tissue massage
    Nerve pain..joint Pain..Don't just jump straight in to surgeries with doctors. I wish i would have exhausted all these options before i trusted all the doctors they could fix me with spinal fusions..Do yoga and get some space back between those disc..do acupuncture and get some chronic and nerve pain released..do pool exercise to keep moving and build muscle..I'm just giving ideas cause i don't want anyone on this forum to suffer the way i do and live with the regret i live with everyday.

I'm day 17 No methadone or percacet..Still have cold sweats, high blood pressure and can't sleep more then 5 hours a nite..insomnia sucks! I have a new dilemma now, i been also taking ambien a sleeping medicine for over a year now. Didn't want to try and quit methadone and Ambien at the same time. Well i ran out of Ambien today and my doctors been outta town for a couple days i have to wait till next week to get the doctor to Refill my script. I'm scared to go into another stage of withdrawls so soon cause i still have not fully stabilized from not taking methadone. I tried to go to urgent care and they refuse to help me saying i will just have to tuff it out! Do the doctors realize you can have seizures from quitting Ambien cold turkey. I'm looking for any advice please how to get threw the withdrawls over the weekend. Maybe try an over the counter sleeping medicine? Need some help if anyone can shed some advice what to do. Withdrawals are going to start soon

Wantmylifebackk is offline New Member

Wondering how you are doing. I’m new here. I tired to start a thread myself for a similar situation but that was over a week ago and it never posted? I’m on day 41 from quitting Methadone cold turkey and am still only getting 3-5 hrs sleep per night. I’ve tried multiple OTC meds with no luck. I do have clonidIne, but although it helps me fall asleep it doesn’t keep me asleep. I am also still having a lot of pain issues and Motrin doesn’t touch it. Also having issues with a lack of motivation, energy, RLS (mostly in evening). I get up every morning and walk the treadmill and do exercises that I learned at physical therapy to help with the areas I am having pain and see the PT/chiropractor twice per week but so far I’m still where I was at 20 days ago. Point being, I feel your pain. Everyone says this is one of the worst to get off of so I’m trying to give it time, but I won’t lie, I feel frustrated at the lack of progress I feel like I’m making. Still struggling just to clean the house and bc of no sleep I’m completely done by late afternoon. Been down this road once before but it was oxycodone and although the acute withdrawal was more severe the symptoms that I am still having Now didn’t drag out this long. Let me know how you are doing.