Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Looking for suggestions and support for oxy taper
    iwillsurvivethis is offline Junior Member

Default Looking for suggestions and support for oxy taper

Hello everyone:
    You all sound so nice and supportive here! I am alone in this and would love to hear some advice. I am trying to wean off oxy. Currently I take approx 12-15 mg every 6-8 hours. If I take the little larger dose, I can get a good 6-8 hours, however if I am closer to 10-12mg, by the 5th hour, I am suffering terribly.
    I want off this demon, and I can do it. I look forward to the other side! Thinking about it makes me feel hopeful and excited to be free! I have decided to taper because it is the best choice for me. I posted on another site, and going cold turkey was shoved down my throat! I suffer terribly and going cold turkey would NEVER work for me. So, I hope you will all support my decision. It might not be right for you, but it is for me. My withdrawals are severe, which I know is odd for such a low dose.
    so could anyone help me with advice or support. should I try to stretch out the time inbetween? Lower my mgs each week? By how much? My problem in this is that my pills are 40 mgs, so I cut them. this never ensures the same dosage. So I'll be doing fine but can't get to say a 8mg piece. And I wonder how I can even cut them to go lower?
    I hope the hear from someone.Thank you so much for listening!

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

Nobody here will be negative towards you. It's your journey and we will support you. I can't tell you how to taoer you know your body the best all I can say is cut back your doses and then maybe do the next dose a little early. I am not familiar with oxy I was on hydros. If it is still a larger dose you are taking with the pill you can crush it up and use a credit card to try and break it into smaller doses. There is also a way to put it in water and then put it into a baby syringe and dose it out that way if it is mixes ok in water. You will have to research or ask another about that. Nomorehydro is currently tapering, sunshine 74 tapered, and I also tapered maybe read some post and I am sure they will chime in and help there good people along with everyone else. As long as you are reducing your amount and seeing progress then it's working. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you Sunshine! I cannot break these up. They are OxyNeo's (canada) and they can't be crushed. They are like jelly. I find that I can do 10mgs, but by the 4th hour it's unbearable. So my choices are less mgs, with less time inbetween. Or a loarger mg dose, and a little longer between. Not sure which is better. I am happy that you are "on the other side" as I refer to it. I was deeply depressed for awhile thinking my life was over becasue I thought I would never off these. then one day, I woke up and said "Yes, you can do this! there is a life on the other side!!! I know the other side will take work, but for me getting off these physically is the hurdle!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

I Will - If you use a single edge razor blade it will make the cuts much easier for you. Cut one of the 20mg in half. Cut those in half just eyeballing all the cuts. Cut in halves again and again. You'll be able to get any dose you need doing it that way. It should be fairly easy to get 10 pieces that are all 2mg each.

When you get down real low we'll have you crush one of those 2mg pieces into a fine powder for easy measuring. You split the powder into even piles and that will make dosing when the time comes simple. Sounds more difficult than it really is. Don't worry about that now.

Maybe begin around 10-12mg total per day and go from there. Make sure to take the dose at the same time each day to keep a level amount in your system. That will help you to feel as good as possible.

I would suggest you reduce your dose by 2mgs every 4-7 days or once you get real stable at each dose. Reduce only when stable which means you have no withdrawals. Take it all the way down as low as possible and you should be able to get out of this with very few symptoms if any. MIght take you 4 days to feel ok on one dose and may take 6-7 days on another dose. Reduce only when stable is key!

The reason most don't like a taper from pills is because you always have those pills sitting around staring at you. When things get rough because you taper too fast or by too much it's so easy to take an "extra" dose. Then your taper has failed and you're right back where you began.

You will NEVER be judged here! You'll receive support no matter how you do it. Just continue to post as much as possible letting us know how you're feeling. Theres lots of suggestions for vitamins and supplements that will help you along the way.

Hope this helps. This is only mu suggestion. You can do it any way you choose of course. But I know this way will work. It's a mental fight also. Have to be prepared and really want this!

-Randy

I just read where you have the OxyNeo. Not sure if you can cut them like I suggested? Let me check it out and I'll get back with you!

Sadmommy13 is offline Senior Member

There is so much support here for you. I personally didn't taper, I actually set myself up for the opposite. I binged the week before my quit date, bc deep down I wanted this to hurt, so >> never ever want to go thru it again. However each person is different & from stories I've read people suffer a lot less from wds if thru taper right. There are so many wonderful People here who can and will help you. I know nothing about the kind of Oxys u have, but you're in the right place. This site has become my lifeline to freedom. People here at all stages of this battle: from years clean, to hours clean, to planning their jump. I know this site has been a god send for me. A non-addict would call us a bunch of junkies, but what we truly are ...... Survivors. Titans. We are winners bc we aren't afraid to use what we've learned to help others thru the same battle. You've got this- and you're in the right place if you need support!!!!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-07-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Typo
    Iluv2smile and davepeerson like this.

Thank you Randy! you are a godsend. yes, the oxyneo's are like a gummy bear. They can be cut with a blade, that's how I do it. You can't turn these into a powder, or anything other than a jelly. In water, they grow and expand. I can get 10 mg pieces, but from there it is really hard to go smaller. I'd like to go to 8mgs at one point, but it's tough. I suppose I could get a sort of 5 mg and a 2.5. I just find the pieces never come out precise, but i will do this!! Also, thank you so much on how to get stable, that sounds good. Anxiety is huge for me, I have been taking Gravol (anti-motion sickness tabs) to help me sleep. They work fairly ok but make me too groggy the next day. I'm going to just try a quarter piece tonight. While I am sleeping, I try to go 8 hours between doses. even though I'm sleeping, I hope it tricks my body a bit into tolerating the greater length between doses! I may also try some natural anti-anxiety remedies, such as valerian root. Does anyone have suggestions on any other options for the anxiety?

Sadmommy thank you! you guys are wonderful, I'm tearing up with how touched I feel by all your kindness. I don't feel so alone!!

TolikG is offline Senior Member

Hi there! And welcome to the site!
    Congrats on your decision to quit this monster!! As for anxiety -- I'm actually taking L-Theanine. It's actually an interesting amino acid: it helps anxiety and helps you focus/gives you "good" energy ... Pretty interesting. I take it a few time a day with coffee. Read about it. Someone has mentioned it here and it definitely works for me! Some folks, however, say it's not effective for them. Also-- valerian root helps. Stay away from benzos. Good luck with your taper!! You CAN do it... Impossible is--NOTHING

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there..
    Welcome ..
    I am tapering too ..
    Suboxone but tapering with you..
    There are a few of us tapering ..
    Team Taper!
    We help each other..
    Posting your experience will help others..
    I know I read a lot before I posted so I know others do too..
    Plus it gives a journal of how we feel..
    Do this right ..
    Nice and Slow!
    It can be the last time you have to do it..
    If you could get some Clonidine from your dr..
    It is a b/p med but has been used for years for opiate withdrawals..

The thomas Receipe on here really helps..
    I can't post it but it is easy to find...

So I just wanted to welcome you to the happiest place on earth!
    If getting clean is your goal?
    You have come to the right place!

Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-07-2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Typo
    davepeerson likes this.

Sadmommy13 is offline Senior Member

Hope today is good, that you're progressing & preparing for your new beginning. Has anyone been able to help you on cutting the neos? If not yet, I'm sure someone will. As long as you keep going forward, moving the amounts down, you're on the way to winning.

Anxiety has also proven to be hardest for me to control since I went cold turkey almost 10 says ago. Many here have suggested amino acids like l-theanine for anxiety. Even if for just placebo effect, can't hurt to try that out. Keep on truckin! The support you need is right here for the taking, just soak it all in!

Quote Originally Posted by iwillsurvivethis View Post
    Thank you Randy! you are a godsend. yes, the oxyneo's are like a gummy bear. They can be cut with a blade, that's how I do it. You can't turn these into a powder, or anything other than a jelly. In water, they grow and expand.

Hey. I said I would check into cutting those OxyNeo and I did. I researched it as best I could and then spoke with my pharmacist. She's me neighbor and a good personal friend. She's very familiar with that drug even though it's a Canadian medication. Her suggestion was that it NOT be cut into pieces. It's a controlled-release med and you might get much more of the drug in one piece verses another piece. That could cause problems. The manufacturer also recommends NEVER cutting OxyNeo! It's recommended having your doctor give you a plan for getting off by providing lower doses of the drug. You can do as you please of course, I'm just letting you know what I was able to find. Hope this helps.

I'm glad you're receiving some great responses. You'll never be alone here and the support available is amazing as you can see! The people are wondeful and only want to help. Keep posting ok. Let us know how you're doing and feeling. Keep track of your progress here as Bette mentioned using this thread of your's as a journal. It really helps to post. Take care!

-Randy
    HarrySmooth likes this.

Thank you Iluv! Congrats on your taper!
    I actually do have some clonidine. It was prescribed to me a year ago for hot flashes but I never took it. I wouldn't know how to include it in my taper. If anyone does, I'd love to hear from them.
    Today was a rough day, but that's ok. I think I'll probably be stable tomorrow around12 mgs, then I'll try to go to 10mg Monday.
    Randy - thank you so much for checking into that! I have 40 mgs pills and cutting them is the only way I have ever done it. I trust your neighbour, but I don't think cutting them changes the dose at all. They have made 5hese so they are tamper resistant, in other words there isn't a thing you can do to them to alter the effects or dose.I had a friend who was prescibed a high mg pill after a surgery awhile back, and her doc told her to cut them so she wasn't getting a high dose when she didn't need it. Even if it does, it is all I have ever known since I started this 2 years ago. So my doses are all eyeballed. I say I was at 12 mgs because it is a little bit bigger than an even quarter. My problem is cutting them precisely each time. If I was able to, I'd go into quarters to get the 10mg which I have done.Then in half which would give me 5 mg. From there getting 2.5 mg is going to be very very difficult each time. having a doctor prescribe lower doses is my DREAM! I even had an addiction line I call say that even a pharmacist could cut them better for me. trouble is these aren't prescibed My doc doesn't know, and she is not an easy one to talk to and I feel it would be disasterous.
    as well, she isn't a doctor fully but a nurse practitioner and can't prescribe narcotics even if she would agree to it. She works for a doc she'd have to have him do it, but she wouldn't and isn't the kindest. I would like to find a doctor that would help me out, but in Canada you can't go to any doctor. You just have your own and aren't allowed to see anyone else. This cutting thing is my biggest obstacle but I won't let it get me down otherwise I'd give up. I guess I'll just have to eyeball smaller and smaller pieces. If anyone here is from Canada do you know where i could find a doc to help?

Where did everone go? i was so hoping to keep posting and getting support.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Where did everone go? i was so hoping to keep posting and getting support.
    Hi there. Weekends are always a little slow around here. Don't worry; everyone will still be here for ya.

How's it going with the taper?
    Kat

Thank you Kat! That is reassuring. I am going to try for a bit of a drop to 10 mg Monday. I figure it would be easier to do it when I am working, my mind will be busy. I am trying to tell myself to be patient, i CAN do this and I will. I just need to take it slow. Randy was so helpful when he suggested a taper, and what the time frame might look like. Thank you again, Randy.
    I suffer with Fibromyalgia, so am in constant excrutiating pain. The pills don't take that away at all. I don't get a "high", or even feel good on them. I only take them to feel "normal", if that makes any sense. When I take them, I fell like just a regular person with fibro in pain. Without them, extreme withdrawals. Sometimes I feel ripped off that I don't even get a good feeling from them, o0r even a lot of pain relief. I know tis will be an obstacle when I am off, but for now my concern is ridding of the physical addiction.
    Kat - you say you want off in 2013 - that's great! 2 years. So, there is a life after this mess!!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

OxyNeo is hard to taper, period. There was a person on here awhile ago who became pregnant and needed to get off of that. Going lower in dose would put her into w/d and she was doing this with a docs help and using percocets or oxycodone instant release as a support. I take it since you don't have a prescription for this you've obtained them illegally? and can't get a docs support? My best advice is to cut them as best you can and do what Randy says as far as tapering slowly. You will also need to look up the Thomas Recipe and treat the w/d symptoms as they come. It's not pleasant, but it's doable, as is c/t. I'm afraid you're going to experience the 1000 cuts thing as you taper. The only other thing you can do is to look for a doc who can put you on suboxone or subutex and taper that. Be determined and strong: WANT TO is everything. Everyone is scared of the w/d. EVERYONE.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Randy35 and HarrySmooth like this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there I will..
    You are not alone I think for most of us we feel "normal" on our drugs of choice..
    That warm and fuzzy feeling left along time ago...
    I know after I got off the methadone and now doing my taper my pain has really gotten tolerable..
    I think before I was looking for the pain just so in my mind I was justified in taking my pills..
    Strange isn't it?

I haven't heard of oxy neo..
    I am gonna look it up..
    I hope you are feeling better ..
    Talk to you later..
    Iluv2

i CAN do this and I will. I just need to take it slow. Randy was so helpful when he suggested a taper, and what the time frame might look like. Thank you again, Randy.
    Yup, weekends get slow as we're busy with life stuff. You have so many people following you along. Some post and many more keep checking your progress that remain silent and might not ever post or become a member here. You're helping more than you realize. You're helping yourself, those in the same place as you, and you are even helping ME to never forget what can happen if I use again! You keep posting as just know many are always reading!

Your're more than welcome for my help and any suggestions. I know how it is. Stick to the taper plan and you'll be just fine. Just make sure you're stable and feeling ok before reducing further. That makes a huge difference. You're doing great!

-Randy
    iloerose likes this.

Thanks Randy! Your words of encouragement make me believe I can do this!
    Tomorrow I will try to do a cut back, I am afraid of failing, and I think that if I fail then that's it. So instead, I am telling myself that if it doesn't work tmrw, it doesn't mean I'm doomed for life, I just try again, and again if I need too!

OxyNeo is oxycontin, there is no difference, it's just in Canada they are tamper proof. You can't crush them, or make a powder, to snort or inject. The ONLY way to take them is to swallow them. They are gel-like, if you chew them it's just like chewing a gummy bear that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. They can't be disolved and in water just turn to a mass of jelly. Other than the form they come in they are oxycontin, there is no difference to addiction/withdrawals etc.
    Here is a direct quote from a site I found:
    "OxyNEO and OxyContin are two different brand names of the active ingredient oxycodone, which is indicated for the relief of moderate to severe pain requiring the continuous use of an opioid analgesic preparation for several days or more.

Although the active ingredients are the same, the OxyNEO tablet is manufactured differently than the OxyContin tablet. OxyNEO is reported to be more tamper-resistant.than OxyContin because the tablet is more difficult to crush. In addition, if OxyNEO is crushed and added to water, it results in the formation of a thick gel-like substance."

Also, I had started another thread to ask a question, but didn't know I shouldn't start another. My bad! I will copy and paste it here, to continue with this thread. Thanks iloerose

Also, why is it I only sometimes get email notifications that someone has posted here? I have the "email instantly" button. I keep missing when someone posted!! Drives me crazy .......and that isn't far away! LOL
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-11-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typos!

Also, is there anything any of you used to track your progress? I was thinking about getting a calendar for the fridge to track my days etc. Or does seeing it like that make it harder? Any other things any of you have used. I track the number of hours I can go between doses on my phone by always setting the stopwatch. First, it helps me not to overdo it, and secondly, the longer the time I see I can go inbetween is rewarding to me. Somethimes, I 'll see 5 hrs and 40 mins and I'll push to make it to 6 hrs!
    Thanks in advance!
    I can't believe how nice everyone here is! I hope you guys will be my life line!!

Maggie1976 is offline Member

Hi there , I just recently discovered a natural stress remedy called rescue remedy. I live in Canada too and am also taking oxyneo's 60mg a day, I take them in 10 mg 6 pills a day. I find that rescue remedy works very fast and very well at calming me down, you can get it at most health stores I got it at sprouts. It is non addictive and non habit forming. It really works wonders. They also have one for sleep, all natural. It comes in a spray. It is very safe. I use it because I also suffer the anxiety even when I take my Oxy at my regular dose. I wish we all did not have to suffer this way, but I am getting hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel of pain and that I am not alone, even though it feels that way,
    Good luck. Wish you all the best

Hi Maggie!! Yes, a fellow Canadian! you know what's odd, is someone just told me about Rescue remedy a week ago!! I am going to try it. Yes, I suffer anxiety always too. Are you trying to taper? Do you take 10 mgs every 4 hours?
    I feel alone in this too.

Maggie1976 is offline Member

Sorry I just read this reply, yes I take my meds as follows

6am I take one and then another at 8am
    11am
    2pm
    4pm
    And then I take the last one at 8pm
    After this I am usually able to sleep through the night.
    In the morning I feel like a truck hit me and like you feel like I might not make it to where I keep the bottle, I have to get up that early so my son does not see me like that and the meds have time to kick in to get him ready for School.
    I have been considering going to a private rehab for 3weeks and detoxing there, but if I can do it through tapering it would be a lot better because we really can't afford 15000 plus tax. My husband has said he would take money from his rsp for this but what if I fail at that and we are already in debt, that is the dilemma there. Do you know anything about these places and how successful they are. The one that I called looks very nice on the website and they do offer a medicated detox (not sure what they give you) but like you said I am a little scared of suboxone as well. I have finally told my teenage son what is going on, he was very understanding and he gives me strength because now I have to prove to him that things like this can be done and I have to set that example. He asked me is that why I am so short tempered all the time now. He knew something was up for a while. I wonder why it makes you like that, like you have PMS 24-7. Anyway I am so glad I read your thread, you are a strong person and for you to make it to where you are now is amazing, never ever give up

HarrySmooth is offline Advanced Member

Hi there Iwill,
    my name is Harry, and Ive been here on the forums for quite a long time...Been reading your thread, and just wanted to toss in my two cents, lol....
    Yeah OxyNeo is a "funny Bird"....you shouldnt cut them as they are Time Release and you may end up getting more of the drug than you should....and of course ya cant crush em, as they are like "GummyBears"...so basically, the only way your going to be able to "Taper" off them is to get your Doc to write you lower mg Scripts, OR my Suggestion would be to find a Dr to prescribe Suboxone! I have been addicted to Oxys for over a decade, and before that "H", Speed, Coke, you name it! I was addicted to "H" 3 months after going to Vietnam, and stayed on it for several years after that, and tried to wean myself off, which failed Miserably, so had to go the Methadone route.
    I got addicted to Oxys from the VA, who started me on Vicodin, then upped me to Percocet, asnd finaslly to 15mg oxys, and then 6 years ago to 30mg Oxy. THen they started urine testing about 2 years ago and detected weed in my Urine, and just cut me off the oxys all in one fatal swoop! No Tapering down, they just cut me OFF! So of course I had to start buying them on the Street at $30/pop!!!! Now keep in mind I was doing anywhere between 150 to 300mgs/Day! Thats 5 -10 30mg Blues a DAY!!!! I almost ran my business into the ground spending anywhere from $150-$300/DAY on those Stupid lil Blue Pills!
    I tried tapering them down like your doing several times, and was fairly successful a couple of times, but always relapsed. Its VERY hard to taper when you have a bottle of 120 pills in your safe LOL....bit after many, MANY times trying to get clean, I finally did it using Suboxone....now I had tried Suboxone many times and always ended up relapsing, but you finally get to a point where your either going to STOP, or your going to Die, or lose everything you own, including your Home, Family and Business! And TGHAT is what happened to me! I first lost my Wife....but that was not enough....I kept on popping the pills....but when I came to the Brink of losing my business, I FINALLY said Enough is ENOUGH!!!!!
    I dont know about you, but the taper just doesnt work for me...too easy to screw up and take more.....I HIGHLY recommend you seeking help from a Suboxone Dr and go that route if you can....the Suboxone along with the Thomas Recipe WORKS!!!!
    Im sorry for the "Life Story" here, but I felt it important that I give you a little History of myself just so you know where I am coming from.
    I really, REALLY recommend you going the Suboxone Route if you can Dear....Take a look at one of my Threads, it will tell you everything you need to know about the Thomas Recipe and our Taper Plan, as well as a Short Video I made on how to cut Suboxone Strips.
    But whatever you choose to do, I wish you ALL the luck in the World Honey....and if I can help you in ANY way, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask! If you feel more comfortable emailing me personally, simply Google "Harry Smooth" and you'll find me!
    And here is the link to one of my Threads on this forum that contains links to the SUb taper Plan, Thomas Recipe and my Suboxone Video....
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...tly-67428.html

Best of Luck to you Hon, and you CAN & WILL do this!!!! I KNOW you will!!!!!!
    Your Pal Harry
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-11-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi guys. Just wanted to post quick as I am Working right now. I did do a cut back and so far so good, I don't feel 100% but mostly I just feel like I'm full of lead and dragging. Not bad at all. So hopefully the rest the day goes well!!
    As for the subs, even if it was something I considered I could never afford it. I've already looked into the cost, and it cost twice as much as what I'm doing now. That's something I don't want to carry-on for another year. I'm going to take the next couple months, and I'm going to do this. I'm going to have some fails, here and there along the way I will have slips, but in the end I will succeed!!!
    I want it BAD!!
    Ttyl wish me luck with the rest of the day

Rest of the day went well!! Success so far! I am starting to hurt and need to make it until 9pm until my next dose. I CAN do this, going to try to keep busy....... If I make it Day One = SUCCESS!!!!
    Maggie1976 likes this.

IWILL: I'm holding you accountable here girl, LOL, stay at your dose for a few days until you are sure you are stable: get stable before you drop again. Get the supplements suggested. Push through any bad days. You are right: you can do this!!!! Hang Tough.

Peace,

Iloerose

I DID IT!!!!!!
    I got this!
    Oh I hope I make it tmrw

You will!!!! Not hope< can!!!
    Maggie1976 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast