• 2 Post By arwen1
  • 1 Post By arwen1
  • 2 Post By arwen1
  • 2 Post By arwen1
  • 1 Post By arwen1
Methadone taper down to 5mg
    arwen1 is offline Junior Member

Default Methadone taper down to 5mg

Hey everyone. I'm back again was on this forum years ago whilst try to get of the liquid handcuffs. This time my situation is different I'm married have another baby and my husband is an amazing support system. I have been tapering down slower this time I'm down 5 mg and now it's really starting to get difficult. I have everything from the Thomas recipe so going to start taking that when I'm done with my tapering. I go down to 2.5 mg in 10 days then jump off totally in 24 days. I'm scared,anxious can't sleep properly already feeling mild withdrawal but I know this isn't the worst of It. I just want to be free of this hell and to finally not be dependent on such an evil drug.
    If I only new then when I first started what I know now. I would of thought twice about getting on methadone. It's been the biggest battle of my life and I just can't seem to get off this >>>>.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello arwen, Welcome back. It wasn't til I was done was I able to go cold turkey off methadone. I know your struggle it's the hardest thing I have ever done. I am almost 16months free and clean no more handcuffs... Im an addict so tapering was not an option for me. It would have made my withdrawals easier not such a shock to my system but can't change that now. You really have to want this for yourself. Keep posting we are all here to support you.
    Glad you made it back.

Hey Lvg
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Each time I have tried to get of the methadone it never ends well. But this is the first time I have been able to taper down this low. There's day's I have wanted to just jump of tapering is really hard. But I'm trying to do it the right way this time. I'm in a heaps better place mentally and emotionally. But still fearful of how bad the withdrawals get. Especially when you have 3 kids to care for one is 5 months old. But I'm not alone my husband is my rock. Thanks again for taking the time to post on my thread.

Arwen congratulations on taking action and tapering down. Everything you are going through and feeling is all normal. I to was fearful of the withdrawals that fear kept me in active addiction for 30+ years. Just think of it like having a bad flu times ten. Also what helped me was to get face to face support Na, Aa, counseling, therapy. Keep reading and posting we are all here to support you...
    thefigurehead likes this.

Today's a hard day emotionally and physically. I make the jump of 5mg on Monday I pick up my last dose on Sunday. Can't take tapering anymore. Trying to stay positive and keep a strong mindset. This journey is not an easy one. I just want to be free of these liquid handcuffs once and for all. Then the real work begins. Because I will always be an addict always have an addictive nature. But I tell my self everyday I can do this.

Hey Lvg hope life is treating you well. It's my second day no done. The mental side of things is kicking my ass. Withdrawals aren't to bad yet im on my second day. I keep telling myself its all worth it because the end result is to be free of the hell of bring on methadone for years and having it control my life. I'm taking it day by day. Btw what's your opinion on The Thomas Recipe?
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Day two congratulations....
    In my opinion anything you do like vitamins excersise water Water just anything to keep you moving forward is progress. I tried and searched everything to find a magical pill to take it all away still searching my friend. It's time... time for our bodies and brain to heal from all the garbage we put in. Avoid stressful triggers keep active this too shall pass I promise you. Positive mental attitude. Proud of you for taking this step.. Will be the hardest and the best thing you will ever do for yourself. Keep posting here to support you my friend....
    Tko500 likes this.

Tko500 is offline Banned

Congratulations arwen on your decision and on your days clean. I am too just jumped off the methadone. You are not alone. Right now me and others are doing this with ya. Thank goodness your husband is there to help you. My wife has been instrumental in aiding me on my journey.
    I am 4 days since my last dose, know this is it. I am done. No matter what.
    Post anytime you need to talk. This forum has helped me pass a bunch of hours by. I prepared and am confident for my jump off but I too got some jitters and a lil bit of apprehension. Just fear of change and the unknown. I am rooting for you. I am cheering away. The finish line is in the distance. Step by step it looms ever closer. I am mega proud of you, and in awe of your courage to step off into a better happier life.
    In stories as old as humans there is the archetype of the hero. In stories the hero has to face his journey and battle the antagonist. Metaphorically the hero must journey into the underworld to face the darkness. Could be an evil character, could be the hero has to face parts within themselves. But the hero always overcomes and emerges from the journey in victory.
    We are all writing out own heros journey right now, hour by hour, day by day. Also we all can emerge in victory, we just have to stay on the path. Again i am cheering and rooting for you! Keep.up the amazing job. You already accomplished something difficult... taking that first step to glorious freedom!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey Lvg I have been drinking heaps of water
    My husband is constantly refilling my bottle and is always reminding me to take my vitamins. Last time I tried to detox I was alone with two kids it was pure hell. I couldn't even look after myself let alone my kids so I got back on the done. This time I'm so blessed to have a great man in my life that has never had a substance abuse issue. I feel so guilty and bad putting him and my kids thru this. But I know that we will all be better of when I am free of having to be addicted to methadone. You are an inspiration going cold turkey on such a high dose and being clean for 16 months. You give me strength to keep going. Because hearing your positive story makes me feel like if you can do it so can I. Thank you so much for taking the time to say some meaningful words that have uplifted me so much
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tko500 View Post
    Congratulations arwen on your decision and on your days clean. I am too just jumped off the methadone. You are not alone. Right now me and others are doing this with ya. Thank goodness your husband is there to help you. My wife has been instrumental in aiding me on my journey.
    I am 4 days since my last dose, know this is it. I am done. No matter what.
    Post anytime you need to talk. This forum has helped me pass a bunch of hours by. I prepared and am confident for my jump off but I too got some jitters and a lil bit of apprehension. Just fear of change and the unknown. I am rooting for you. I am cheering away. The finish line is in the distance. Step by step it looms ever closer. I am mega proud of you, and in awe of your courage to step off into a better happier life.
    In stories as old as humans there is the archetype of the hero. In stories the hero has to face his journey and battle the antagonist. Metaphorically the hero must journey into the underworld to face the darkness. Could be an evil character, could be the hero has to face parts within themselves. But the hero always overcomes and emerges from the journey in victory.
    We are all writing out own heros journey right now, hour by hour, day by day. Also we all can emerge in victory, we just have to stay on the path. Again i am cheering and rooting for you! Keep.up the amazing job. You already accomplished something difficult... taking that first step to glorious freedom!
    4 days that's awesome. It's so inspiring to hear about others going thru the same thing. It gives me strength. Exercise is definitely key I pushed my self to go for a long walk with my husband and kids. Even though I didn't feel like moving. I feel alot better after getting up and moving that's for sure. Sending you an abundance of strength and positive vibes. I just keeping thinking about the end result of not being on the liquid handcuffs anymore. Telling myself I can get thru this pain and emotional rollercoaster. You seem to have a very positive mindset which is key in detoxing. Thank you for your words it means more than you know!!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

This detox is like a rollercoaster. I find myself happy one min then depressed the next. It's like I have an angel on on shoulder and a devil on the other. I don't have thoughts of using but sometimes think am I ever going to get of the done. The withdrawals are bearable so far but the anxiety is not is kicking my butt. I feel so much guilt for putting my loved ones thru this. I just keep telling myself it will get better and that I can do this. My three girls know I'm not well my oldest daughter has seen me like this before. Reading everyones success stories definitely helps.

Tko500 is offline Banned

Hey arwen. I am on my 5th day no dose. I am chuggin on thru hoping for 1 week. Milestones make the journey a bit more bearable. Mood swings are part of your brain adjusting to normailty. To some degree we have been artificially regulating certain aspects of emotion with chemicals. Now the absence of that chemical.is making your brain adjust and figure things out on its own. So its actually healing in a sense. Im sure this is not profound information or even something you are not aware of, but my point is, it is forward progress. Even thou it is a challenge, its still better than where we were.
    Where im at today i can see a bit more clearly, and i can see and feel how the methadone shut off parts of my perception and emotion... IE dulled my senses. I am looking forward to being more open and less stuck in my own world now that my mind is clearing. Im not sure i habe done my best to convince those in my life how important they are and how much they mean. Going thru this process is not only the first step its the most important step to getting to where you can serve those you love the best, and appreciate what they mean to you. Just some stuff ive been thinking about related.to what you said. Another hour another day another milestone! Keep up the hard work!
    arwen1 and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Hello arwen how are things going with today...

Had a rough day but I am just trying to stay positive. My husband has never had any substance abuse issues. So he doesnt understand what I'm going thru. He tries but then when I get quiet or don't want to me touched because of the withdrawals he takes it personally. It's really hard I am also having to care for my 5 month old baby and two older girls. The older girls are at school and my husband does so much but my youngest just wants to be permanently attached to me. I find myself feeling guilty for not being there for my family like I normally am. I am hardly able to muster the energy to get up and do simple everyday things but I push myself. I feel so much emotion the methadone really numbed my emotions it's like this fog is lifting the longer I am without the done. I know I can do this for myself and my family. I keep telling myself I went thru so much pain in my life from addiction. Losing my oldest daughters father to drugs and so much more. So I know I can do this. Reading everyone's success storys really helps and inspires me it gves me hope. I'm on day four and I'm just trying to ride this thru the best I can.

Tko500 is offline Banned

Arwen i feel you are for sure a warrior. Its just a guess on my part but I would think your family will be happy to have you sober. I always thought the methadone made me just a bit better, but now that im off its more clear how much it limited my perspective, emotions and even my actions. For instance after working all day, doing dad stuff at night, at 8 or 9 when i finally sat down i.would pass out right away. So time normaly set aside for adult bonding with my wife was suffering and more or less on my terms.only. When im feeling tip top i can work on that now. I don know that guilt as well. Keep.your eyes on the prize. It will be better before you know it.
    Sorry you lost your oldest's father. My heart goes out to you. Loss is never easy.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

ChiefChe is online now Senior Member

Morning Arwen,

There is definitely strength in numbers so's just know you are not alone as you dive into the "underworld" to reclaim your soul.

I wanted to chime in on the guilt & shame. As an outsider looking in & also someone who has traveled the road of guilt & shame also, I want to say what you are doing right now in the here & now trumps all the guilt & shame. Does that make sense- I'm sorry haven't had my coffee yet).

I guess what I'm trying to say is past events got you to where you are Today. Today, you are breaking free from the chains! You are doing something that you (& others) thought was impossible. You stopped the roller coaster & are breaking free of the chains.

You might not have been 100% in the past BUT you have decided to take control of the future. That is something that should feel you with so much Pride! You are doing it!! Right here right now you are consciously changing the outcome for you & your family.

There's nothing you can do about the past except learn from it, vow never to repeat what didn't work & embrace all that did. You CAN do this b/c you already are!!!

Keep steppin forward as you are- little by little & keep that Drill Sargent attitude. I would literally have to pull myself out of bed to do the smallest of tasks. I know you would agree that once we did it we felt accomplished- keep doing it. Set small goals & keep it simple.

I'm so excited for you & want you to know there is no reason to fear the unknown. You've read the success stories on here, so you have an idea of what the unknown holds....Freedom!!

Light & Luv,

❤️
    Che
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

I am slowly getting there. Each day seems to be getting a little bit easier. I picked up my last dose 7 days ago so six days now with no done. My body is just trying to adjust to no methadone. Been getting a lot of headaches the last two days. I keep telling myself I can handle anything. Addiction bought me and my loved ones so much pain throughout the years. Methadone is not going to get the best of me again. I feel stronger mentally. Physically it's still rough but my kids and my husband give me the drive to not just lie in bed like I did last time. My husband says the same about feeling guilty he tells me that's the past we are moving forward now. He tells me I just want you healthy and happy and free of methadone. Everyone's words of encouragement give me so much strength. It means more to me than you could ever know. Thank you all for taking the time to support me thru this journey. No amount of words could explain how thankful I am to you all.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

7 days no done 8 days since last dose. Going strong feeling good and staying positive.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Methadone insomnia is offline Junior Member

Hello everyone my name is Tim..i started taking hydrocodone for 2 years straight after having multiple failed spinal fusions..i still live in excruciating lower back pain from the failed surgeries..so i had been taking norcos for 2 years for the pain,started with 3 pills a day . when those stop working i got up to 6 of 10mg norcs prescribed. I told the doctor they didn't work anymore so he ran a DNA test to see what pain medication would work Best for me and the nightmare started. I was prescribed 3 pills a day of 10mg methadone..never read about the stuff boy i wish i would have. Been using that same dose for my lower back pain over 7 months now..also been taking ambien 12.5mg slow release for over a year now because the back pain is so bad i can't sleep. Wish i would have read up on this >>>> also..both pure poison but i trusted my doctors and was desperate for some relief..i personally taper just the methone down to half a pill per day broke into 2 for morning and nite..i think i tried to taper to fast down to a quarter pill once a day and OMG are the symptoms hitting me hard..i have slept about a total of 3 hours in the past 5 days it's driving me insane..not to mention i feel very very weak and have bad body ache..the part i can't handle is no sleep it's driving me insane and making me wonder if this is even possible to keep going like this..I'm suffering all day long it's so brutal. My pain management doctor gave me Clonidine for blood pressure and Tizanidine which don't seem to be working for me. I just want to sleep maybe i tapper down to fast? Any suggestions how others got themselves off this evil drug would be so appreciated. I need help i don't think i can handle this slow taper for world and weeks with no sleep. I'm losing my mind. Any help please

Quote Originally Posted by Methadone insomnia View Post
    Hello everyone my name is Tim..i started taking hydrocodone for 2 years straight after having multiple failed spinal fusions..i still live in excruciating lower back pain from the failed surgeries..so i had been taking norcos for 2 years for the pain,started with 3 pills a day . when those stop working i got up to 6 of 10mg norcs prescribed. I told the doctor they didn't work anymore so he ran a DNA test to see what pain medication would work Best for me and the nightmare started. I was prescribed 3 pills a day of 10mg methadone..never read about the stuff boy i wish i would have. Been using that same dose for my lower back pain over 7 months now..also been taking ambien 12.5mg slow release for over a year now because the back pain is so bad i can't sleep. Wish i would have read up on this >>>> also..both pure poison but i trusted my doctors and was desperate for some relief..i personally taper just the methone down to half a pill per day broke into 2 for morning and nite..i think i tried to taper to fast down to a quarter pill once a day and OMG are the symptoms hitting me hard..i have slept about a total of 3 hours in the past 5 days it's driving me insane..not to mention i feel very very weak and have bad body ache..the part i can't handle is no sleep it's driving me insane and making me wonder if this is even possible to keep going like this..I'm suffering all day long it's so brutal. My pain management doctor gave me Clonidine for blood pressure and Tizanidine which don't seem to be working for me. I just want to sleep maybe i tapper down to fast? Any suggestions how others got themselves off this evil drug would be so appreciated. I need help i don't think i can handle this slow taper for world and weeks with no sleep. I'm losing my mind. Any help please
    Diamonds are made with immense pressure

No sleep last night got up drank some herbal tea and listened to some native American flute and rain music. It calmed my anxiety that was building all night from staring at the wall. But I got thru another night I'm on day 9 since last dose so it's my 8th day no done. Some days I think I'm starting to feel better then I have my days like today that I feel like >>>>. But I know it's just my body trying to heal itself and it will probably be like this for awhile. Still pushing forward though as each day i haven't had methadone I feel so much stronger mentally.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Was hoping someone out there can read my thread and give some good advice..thank you and God bless

Hey arwen your doing amazing.
    Proud of you my friend..

* paint the walls your staring at lol *

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Hey arwen your doing amazing.
    Proud of you my friend..

* paint the walls your staring at lol *
    Hey Lvg thank you that means alot. My emotions are seriously all over the place but I know that's to be expected. I'm blessed to have such an understanding husband even though st times I'm sure it's really hard for him too. I go from being happy to feeling depressed to crying. But still am trying to keep a positive attitude because if I don't it just makes this journey harder.

Hello arwen, I promise you everything you are going through and feeling is all normal. As we get clean all those emotions we numbed on the garbage come back full on. Happy mad sad you know what we are alive.... Everyday it will get better.. when you realise the birds are singing when the flowers are blooming the colors the smell wow so exciting. I know you think I'm crazy your right just wait you'll be crazy with us all. Our bodies and brain are healing. Keep up the good work... I'll be waiting patiently for the crazy in you to....

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Hello arwen, I promise you everything you are going through and feeling is all normal. As we get clean all those emotions we numbed on the garbage come back full on. Happy mad sad you know what we are alive.... Everyday it will get better.. when you realise the birds are singing when the flowers are blooming the colors the smell wow so exciting. I know you think I'm crazy your right just wait you'll be crazy with us all. Our bodies and brain are healing. Keep up the good work... I'll be waiting patiently for the crazy in you to....
    Hey Lvg im painting those walls. Sleep is still not really that great I know it will get better though. Thirteen days since last dose. Still an emotional wreck but my mind body and soul are healing slowly. It's flooding at the moment here in Qld Australia all around where I live. The sound of the rain is so soothing. We stocked up on supplies and are bunkering down. I keep wondering when will I get up and feel ok but I know it's going to take alot more time. But I'm in this for the long haul. No going back ever. Hope you are well my friend.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Still going strong 16 days since my last lose. Still feeling very low energy,headaches and struggling with my sleep. But the worst is over. No looking back I feel so much better. It feels amazing to not have to go to he clinic and be reliant on a drug that I needed everyday for nearly half of my life.

Still going strong this Sunday it will be 6 weeks since my last dose. It's mainly all mental now besides my messed up sleep and low energy. It was a battle that I have attempted many times and this time I actually stuck it out. I feel so much better without that horrible stuff in my body. Life is better better every day and I'm slowly getting my strength back.
    Beefaroni7272 and OKC-26 like this.

It's been 10 weeks since my last dose. Just wanted to check in and say how much better I feel. It's been a long journey but I'm feeling good and most importantly am free from methadone. My kids are happier since I have got if that >>>>. Me and my husband are going strong he has been the most amazing support. Life is so much better now each day i get stronger.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.