Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ReadyToLiveAgain
  • 2 Post By saddad1
  • 1 Post By saddad1
  • 1 Post By Kikker
Need advice & support!
    ReadyToLiveAgain is offline New Member

Default Need advice & support!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and really need some advice. After a debilitating accident 4 yrs ago I was placed in pain management for a severe back injury. After 4 yrs on roxicodone 15mg I've reached a place of complete hopelessness. My inital dose of 3 a day has now become 8 a day. Two days ago I decided it was enough. I ran out of my meds early. But thankfully I have a month supply of MS Contin 15mg. I want to be done with pain meds completely. I'm tired of the control it has on me and my life. How do I successfully stop? Do I take the MS Contin and taper? Or just stop completely? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
    kc50 likes this.

saddad1 is offline Member

Plenty of more informed posters here will have more detailed information for you than I can provide, but I have to congratulate you on coming here and looking for a way out of the trap that is addiction! You have to have INSANE levels of courage, but you'll find so much strength in some of the stories that people here have to share with you.

I used 200+MGs of hydrocodone a day for two years...I cut myself down to about 25% of that over the course of a week and just jumped for it. Today is my 29th day clean and it has been a challenge. HOWEVER, the worst of it was over in just a couple days. I found that talking to my doctor and my family about my addiction was the most important thing I could've done to get clean. I was getting my pills illegally and it cost me a whole lot of money and, by the look of things now, my marriage but quitting and coming clean to my loved ones was still the best thing I could've done for myself and my life.

Again, I commend you. Make sure to drink tons of water, load up on potassium for the aches in the legs and try to give yourself some time to rest when the withdrawals start coming. Suboxone is an opiate maintenance drug but it scares the life out of me...it is apparently harder to come off of than the opiates themselves. Options abound. Talk to your doctor. They see this addiction every day: accidental, legal or otherwise so don't worry. Just be honest with yourself and let everything else fall into place.
    kc50 and Comeback Kid like this.

kc50 is offline Member

Welcome! Congratulations on your wanting to get completely off meds!!!! Saddad is right, there are many many people on here that can guide you through. You are not going to believe how much support you're going to get here. I just went through w/d off a nasty, money stealing, SOB addiction to oxy's. Been clean for 2 weeks, six days. Best thing I ever did was to join this site. We'll be watching, encouraging you along the way!!

kc

Thank you both for the advice and encouragement. It helps a lot to have support. I really hope I'm strong enough to do this. Today is day 3 off the Roxicodone. I started the MS Contin for the past two days. Today I have taken NOTHING. It's been about 24 hrs with no meds. So far only a few symptoms. Should I expect the worst to come? Thanks!

For me the WD would spike hard by 24 hours and then I'd have to ride it out for a couple days before it started really getting better...symptoms would kind of switch severity...one day my guts would be destroyed, then in the evening my tummy would feel a lot better but my body would hurt like CRAZY...I sweat like pig through WD and at 30 DAYS TODAY I'm still sweating far more than I normally would be.

There may be something to using the MS instead of the Roxi and 'lessening' the WD but I have no clue. Opiates are opiates as far as I know. I'm glad you're 24 hours straight...don't go back! A full day clean is just the very start of your future. Relapse is common but by no means is it an excuse! You can fight the good fight here and continue to walk down the right path.

PLEASE USE US! We've ALL suffered so much if there is any strength or inspiration we can lend you to get clean as fast as possible trust me, that's all we want for you. The going might start getting a bit tougher today but if you stay motivated and don't allow yourself to think that "I could take just one..." you'll be fine. Once to commit to cheating in your head, once you accept that you could in a worst case scenario, then you're destined to fail. Keep fighting! We're all here for you

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyToLiveAgain View Post
    Thank you both for the advice and encouragement. It helps a lot to have support. I really hope I'm strong enough to do this. Today is day 3 off the Roxicodone. I started the MS Contin for the past two days. Today I have taken NOTHING. It's been about 24 hrs with no meds. So far only a few symptoms. Should I expect the worst to come? Thanks!
    if u have been 24 hrs and taken nothing i would just continue with that. u are well on ur way to being clean. forget the ms contin. u don't need that. ur gonna have flu-like symptoms on days 3-5 days and then the physical part will be over. then u'll have to deal with the mental aspect of addiction and i would highly recommend a support group for that. check into NA/AA/CR or another 12 step group to help keep u clean.

here's the link to the thomas recipe....
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

it has lots of good vitamins and supplements to help with any symptoms. don't use the benzo's that are in it...u won't need those.

i've tried to taper many, many times and it takes a huge amt of willpower to accomplish successfully. if i had pills laying around i would just gobble em down. much better to just go cold turkey and get it over with. if u did taper u would still have to deal with some symptoms at the end so why prolong it? get it over with now and enjoy a new, clean life that u deserve.

u definitely don't need suboxone for the habit u have. that's not to mean that ur abuse and addiction does not matter because it certainly does. but for the length of time, and the amt of pills u take on a daily basis it's better to end it now by using the cold turkey approach. my opinion of course.

good for u to recognize ur problem as kc said. keep right on going and take no mind-altering drugs and u'll be fine and get thru it. lots of help and support here as kc also said. drink lots of water as saddad mentioned and the potassium will also help. use that thomas recipe to ur advantage....it really does help.

don't lay around and watch the clock....get out and do something, anything. walking is so beneficial and any exercise gets ur endorphins firing naturally. u CAN do this....ur well on ur way!

Kikker is dead on, as usual. Just dig your heels in, clinch your fists and go out and start living your clean life. It might be hard to get motivated to go do something but moderate exercise is you best friend. Breathing hard, getting your heart rate up, sweating a good sweat will all start filtering the junk away and pumping the good chemicals from your brain through your body and make your WD exponentially better.

Honesty is the best way to move forward...be honest with yourself, be honest with us (there is NO judgement here we have all been through this and had our own unique struggles and problems) and try to find people in your life that you can be honest with. Addiction hurts you most of all, but it causes us addicts to hurt the people around us too. Accepting the guilt and shame that comes with addiction is a huge part of recovery and once the worst of the physical stuff is over, the emotional fallout can become a challenge if you aren't ready to be 100% honest and submit to being a recovering addict.
    kc50 likes this.

I cannot say thank you enough! I have very little support. My whole family lives about 600 miles away and my husband works about an hour and a half away, so he's stays out of town mon-fri. I have been honest with him and he's great! The hard part of this is we have 4 children. I'm their soul caregiver. I have NO back up. So I cannot be sick in bed for days on end. I did manage to go grocery shopping and clean the house. I'm feeling ok just shaky and some mild stomach discomfort. I'm just terrified of what's to come. I pray it doesn't get much worse. Thanks again!

Don't quote me, but like I said...the worst of my symptoms would hit by 24 hours. If you're still able to get around out of bed and live your life, albeit a bit uncomfortable, you're going to be just fine! You're likely as 'bad as you'll get' so just hang in there. Take pro-active steps to try and make sure you can continue to fight the good fight and you'll be in charge for a change! You should be proud of yourself. Keep up the excellent work and stay brave!

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyToLiveAgain View Post
    I cannot say thank you enough! I have very little support. My whole family lives about 600 miles away and my husband works about an hour and a half away, so he's stays out of town mon-fri. I have been honest with him and he's great! The hard part of this is we have 4 children. I'm their soul caregiver. I have NO back up. So I cannot be sick in bed for days on end. I did manage to go grocery shopping and clean the house. I'm feeling ok just shaky and some mild stomach discomfort. I'm just terrified of what's to come. I pray it doesn't get much worse. Thanks again!
    get rid of those NEGATIVE thoughts. waiting and wondering if symptoms are going to be more than u can handle is never a good thing....

try and think, and then believe the most POSITIVE of thoughts each day now. ur mind is a very powerful weapon. keep thinking and wondering IF the symptoms are going to get u down will not do u any good at all. that will keep u terrified.

only positive thoughts are what u should be thinking now!
    Comeback Kid likes this.

ALL HAIL LORD KIKKER, MASTER OF THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!

It is SO true though. The only thing that has enabled me to start moving forward with my life (on day 30 today!) has been my struggle with learning how to enjoy the moment and let go of the things that I can't control and always worry about. For me, part of the use was the escape from all that anxiety about catastrophizing all the time...being a worst case scenario thinker. But finding methods and tools to start looking at the positives by default instead of the negatives, or even the potential negatives, has made ALL the difference. It is a struggle at times...you get overwhelmed with negativity but it is the fight that it takes to get out of that frame of mind that really makes you grow and begin to recover.

Again, we're here. Please use us! This forum has been SO important to my recovery...sharing my story, my feelings and thoughts and trying to actually write things out and stare at my thoughts instead of just keeping them inside is really a big deal. Good luck!

I'm beginning to feel worse. I'm having severe stomach cramps. Should I take the MS Contin or just wait this out? Please help!

cheeky is offline Diamond Member

really depends on how soon you want this over with mate. i you take the ms contin, you are putting yourself back to square one.

hang in there and you will get thru to the other side. immodium helps with gut cramps and the runs.

maybe get some of that.

good luck, stay strong, it will get worse before it gets better, but it wont take long. 3 days and the worst will be over. then you can be free.

cheeky is offline Diamond Member

if you are able to hole up in your house for these few days it will be SOOOO WORTH IT....

lots of baths, try and exercise (even tho its the last thing you feel like doing), try and keep busy.

hang in there mate. we know how you feel.

kc50 is offline Member

Dear Ready,

You CAN do this. I made it, so can you. I have two kids to care for. The nights are the worst. Get some Hylands restless legs, or Restless something at Walmart. Day 3 was the worst for me. I made it through.You're gonna get pissed at 'em. Just remember you only have to do it once. And never again!!
    You'll be ok, I promise.