• 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By blondie50ish
  • 1 Post By JYandeau
  • 1 Post By JYandeau
  • 2 Post By Catrina
Need Support; C/T From Percocets
    JYandeau is offline New Member

Default Need Support; C/T From Percocets

Hello everyone, I am a 20yr old male currently attempting (yet again) to quit percocets. I started out getting a couple here & there from my friends around a year ago but it led to where I am now; taking around 50mg (10 pills) daily for around 3 months. I am spending atleast $50/day, I cannot afford this nasty habit anymore & am finally fed up. I just finished my last pill about an hour ago & have given any access of my money to my mother so I no longer can purchase anymore. I have attempted to quit cold turkey before but failed at around day 2. Nobody knows about my drug addiction which is why I really need to post here. I will be giving a couple updates a day of how I'm doing.

Thanks in advance for the support guys! I Am really determined to stick this out.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by JYandeau View Post
    Hello everyone, I am a 20yr old male currently attempting (yet again) to quit percocets. I started out getting a couple here & there from my friends around a year ago but it led to where I am now; taking around 50mg (10 pills) daily for around 3 months. I am spending atleast $50/day, I cannot afford this nasty habit anymore & am finally fed up. I just finished my last pill about an hour ago & have given any access of my money to my mother so I no longer can purchase anymore. I have attempted to quit cold turkey before but failed at around day 2. Nobody knows about my drug addiction which is why I really need to post here. I will be giving a couple updates a day of how I'm doing.

Thanks in advance for the support guys! I Am really determined to stick this out.
    Welcome and Congratulations!

Good decision. You know what to expect and that can be one of the hardest parts of this. We tend to wait and watch for the symptoms and then they arrive and we know we could make them go away just by giving up. Instead of working yourself up, get excited that one week from now the acute physical distress will be mostly behind you and your recovery work can begin. You're young and in the scheme of things, haven't been out for that long so I would expect that by getting yourself into the right frame of mind, you'll get this done like a champion.

Be good to yourself in the coming days. Remember to drink tons of water, Gatorade, or just about anything else so long as you drink, drink, drink. Try to eat a protein rich diet too. I made protein shakes in the blender. Almond milk, berries, a little raw honey, ice cubes and protein powder. East to throw together. Do you have Immodium? You'll need that. Get the liquid if you can people seem to believe that it works better. Hot baths, heating pads and force yourself up and about. Any kind of exercise will be of benefit even if it's just frequent short walks. Hide the clocks! Time crawls especially at night when you no doubt will have trouble sleeping. Get your play list out, Netflix, books, puzzles, anything to try and occupy your mind and to pass the time. Jump on here whenever nothing else seems to help and read, read, read. So many threads with so many inspiring stories.

Welcome again! Keep updating because you're on your way and there's a ton of support right here. This support, though, should be in addition to some face time either at meetings or therapy. There will be a lot of work to do once you've detoxed to remain clean and in recovery. There is no sense white knuckling this when help is there for the asking.

Peace,

Cat
    blondie50ish and davepeerson like this.

blondie50ish is offline Member

Good morning! I'm so glad you found us and are making the decision at age 20 to kick these nasty pills to the curb. You have your whole life in front of you, trust me you do not want to have to look back and wonder what happened to all the years while you were numb on opiates. The good news is your dose is not extremely high by opiate addict standards and your body is young and will recover physically much quicker than someone older than yourself.

The first few days of opiate withdrawal are not going to be fun, I won't lie. You won't want to do anything but lay around, it will feel a lot like having the flu but also you may experience some anxiety or depression too. During this time you need to keep telling yourself that it's only temporary! Make sure you get "comfy" type food and drink to have on hand. I drank a lot of Gatorade the first few days of withdrawal, also lots and lots of water. The more you can flush the stuff out of your system, the better. You may or may not feel like eating - I never had a problem with diarrhea but many people do. If you have some Immodium on hand, keep that near and take it if necessary. Some people swear by the Thomas Recipe, which you can find if you search this forum. It's a combination of vitamins and other OTC meds that may help make this easier. The bottom line is you need to commit yourself to a few days of yuck before you start feeling physically better.

The challenging part, especially as a young person who may be more exposed to buying drugs on the street, is going to be after the physical part is over and turning away from temptation. You are going to want to cut off your sources. Block their number, whatever you have to do, you want to remove the ease of just picking up the phone for a quick fix. The bottom line is you are going to have to want this - BUT the longer you resist the easier it becomes. You CAN do this. I have a son your age and I am so rooting for you. The number one best piece of advice I can give you is please keep coming back here and lean on us. Even if you post 20 times in one day on your thread, it's ok. Use it as a journal and a diary. We are here for you!! Looking forward to hearing back from you today to see how you are doing.
    davepeerson likes this.

Hey guys, thanks alot for the positive comments!

Day 1: Woke up already feeling anxious, am starting to feel my legs aching & feel extremely cold all the time. I also have a bad runny nose.

This was only about 12 hours from my last dose so I'm expecting it to get worse over the next couple days. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow & am really not sure how this will go...

Working may be a challenge, but maybe it won't be. What is your schedule, do you have to work all week? For most people Day 3 is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by blondie50ish View Post
    Working may be a challenge, but maybe it won't be. What is your schedule, do you have to work all week? For most people Day 3 is the worst.
    Yeah all week, I'm hoping it helps keep my mind off of the withdrawals, I know I feel alot worse when I'm just sitting around.
    davepeerson likes this.

TheCib is offline Member

I went back to work on day four. It was a challenge. Please keep in mind that work should get your mind off of w/d. Just remember there is an end to this and that is sobriety.

Hang in there. You'll be ok !
    Stay strong my friend you can do this

One of my biggest issues is the fact that I still enjoy opiates, I haven't really hit bottom like alot of people who quit but I'm really just trying to save myself the money & the longevity of being addicted to them for life, the reason I have failed quitting in the past wasen't because of the withdrawals, it was the fact that I didn't really want to get off of them to begin with... I'm really trying to convince myself that I'll save myself ALOT of trouble down the line & a ton of money, I just wish I stopped enjoying the feeling... Do the cravings ever go away? Also I've noticed I've pretty much stopped caring about mostly everything besides making sure I have enough percocets to get me through the day, which is another reason I want to quit... My family & friends do know I was addicted to them & hated it but I told them I quit about 2 weeks ago (which I did, but relapsed) so now I am going to be going through withdrawals basically alone... Should I tell them & suffer through the disappointment or attempt to do this by myself?
    Catrina likes this.

TheCib is offline Member

I white knuckled it myself. But that was my choice. If your family is willing to help you by all means stay connected

Last, you might want to try an NA meeting. It might help you because everyone in the room is exactly like you. They don't judge you but they know what your going thru

Be well

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by JYandeau View Post
    One of my biggest issues is the fact that I still enjoy opiates, I haven't really hit bottom like alot of people who quit but I'm really just trying to save myself the money & the longevity of being addicted to them for life, the reason I have failed quitting in the past wasen't because of the withdrawals, it was the fact that I didn't really want to get off of them to begin with... I'm really trying to convince myself that I'll save myself ALOT of trouble down the line & a ton of money, I just wish I stopped enjoying the feeling... Do the cravings ever go away? Also I've noticed I've pretty much stopped caring about mostly everything besides making sure I have enough percocets to get me through the day, which is another reason I want to quit... My family & friends do know I was addicted to them & hated it but I told them I quit about 2 weeks ago (which I did, but relapsed) so now I am going to be going through withdrawals basically alone... Should I tell them & suffer through the disappointment or attempt to do this by myself?
    This is hard enough when we want it more than anything else in the world. You are only at the beginning of where this will lead and not all of us have to "hit rock bottom" and everyone's bottom is different anyway. Addiction is a progressive disease. Our tolerance quickly increases and it never stops. If you don't stop, one day will come (and it's not that far away) that even massive doses will not produce the same euphoria that you get from them now. It gets to the point that we continue to take them because we have to just to avoid being sick and to manage to function. I don't think anyone who has used for any length of time would disagree with me that the day will come that you won't enjoy them the way you do now but instead you will find yourself a prisoner. That's when we usually begin to hate them. The older we get and the longer we take them, the tougher it becomes to remain in recovery. If you keep on the path you are now, I can almost promise you that you will stop enjoying them. By that time you'll be in the middle of a nightmare.

To answer your question Yes! The cravings do go away. From the obsessive thoughts when we first get clean, it becomes no more than a passing thought and easily and quickly dismissed. Not right away, unfortunately but it does get better. Just have to learn how to deal with them in the meantime and refuse to give in. Gradually you'll begin to see and feel the difference.

Keep thinking about how much money you've spent on this. My friend, Randy began to put the money he was spending on drugs into a jar when he began his recovery. After a couple of years, he had enough money to buy himself a new truck. I love that story. Aside from the financial drain, these pills destroy our souls, rob us of our self esteem and leave us in debt with our bank accounts empty . When everything in our lives begin to become a distant second to having pills in our pocket, that in itself should wake us up and alert us that something is seriously wrong. I don't want to live that way and neither do you. Make a list of the negatives if you continue to use and to be fair, make a list of the positives. Then compare them. I think one of those lists is going to be a lot shorter than the other and it will illustrate what you are paying for those pills in addition to your paycheck.

Hope this didn't feel like a lecture. That isn't my intention. I just want the best for you and am hoping that I may have said something to you to help you to begin to not enjoy those pills. They will rob you of everything if you let them. Don't let them.

Peace,

Cat
    blondie50ish and davepeerson like this.

Thanks for the responses guys, it's encouraging.

Had a nap & woke up feeling much worse, having extreme anxiety & can already tell I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Legs aren't feeling too bad & I don't really feel sick yet, hopefully it doesn't get much worse tomorrow... Going to have a hot shower & try to get atleast a bit of sleep. Will check in again tomorrow, have a good night everyone!

Sorry for the late response, I've pretty much been lying in bed throwing up for the last 36 hours, can't really eat or hydrate because every single thing I put in my system gets thrown up... I'm on day 3 & I'm losing my mind, bone aches are horrible, my anxiety is crippling & ive missed 2 days of work because I literally can't function like this... I work on Thursday & if I don't show up im going to get fired... I have a question for people with methadone or suboxone experience:

I am thinking about scheduling an appointment to get suboxone but it will take me atleast 48 hours to get & I need something before work... I have a friend who has methadone & has agreed to give me 2 doses & that's it so I don't get addicted to that (I heard that's even worse to get off) should I take it? Also, will 2 doses of methadone do anything for my withdrawals? I don't want to just prolong it otherwise I might aswell have never quit in the first place.

Thanks for the support, I did end up coming clean to my mom & she was disappointed but she is very supportive & is doing everything in her power to help me end this addiction.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Also, I can get Kratom tomorrow, how much does that help for the withdrawals?

I don't have any experience with suboxone or methodone, but pretty sure you need to be clean of opiates before either one will work. I'm answering because no one else seems to be around, so don't quote me on that.

That said, you are already on Day 3! Trust me, you are 20 years old, you don't have long to go. In another 48 hours you are going to be feeling a lot better. If you have to go in on Thursday, go in, what are they going to do, make you stay if you are throwing up? I am fairly certain they won't fire you if you go there and throw up and have to go home. I think by Thursday you are going to be feeling significantly better. Day 3 is the worst for 99 percent of people.

As for Kratom, no. Just no. Do you want to quit or not? I have no idea if it works or not but I'm positive you will reset the clock, and do your really want to do that? I would say an absolutely no way to Kratom. if you really think you can't do this without subs or methodone, then make yourself a plan. You don't have to hit rock bottom to know that this is no way to live. You say you like your life using opiates, but look at yourself now. Do you like yourself? Cuz this is the reality of opiates. It's not the fake euphoria you feel for a little while after you take the pill. This is the reality. Try to keep going. I hope you will. I'll be rooting for you.