Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By BossFoxx808
  • 1 Post By asp44
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By BossFoxx808
New to all of this and need help
    BossFoxx808 is offline New Member

Default New to all of this and need help

Hey folks. I'm looking for some advice. Someone I know is desperately seeking to quit taking pain medication. They've been taking anywhere from 60mg to 150mg of Oxycodone for about a year now. Before that, the dosage was much smaller, around 10mg to 20mg a day for a year. But, with varying levels, they've been using for about 5 years. Their main method of delivery has been nasal insufflation.

Due to their career, they are unable to attend detox or rehabs. Mentally, they are completely prepared to quit, and have been trying for some time. However, after a day or two, the withdraws become so bad that they cave and consume more to alleviate the symptoms. Suboxone is under tight control, and is impossible for them to procure. However, they have been able to get their hands on methadone.

Now, they have read many articles and forums about the dangers of methadone, but they feel that it is the best bet to start quitting immediately. They have taken it before to help alleviate symptoms in the short term, but only to get by until their next refill of Oxy. This time they want to be done for good. Could you folks please help recommend a schedule for taking the methadone? Or, if a thread already exists, point them to it? They have a large supply of 5mg methadones, and are not sure how many to take initially, and at what rate to taper off.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
    Catrina likes this.

asp44 is offline Member

Personallt I would never recommend methadone. I know people who take it and they all wish they would of stayed far away from it!! The best thing to do for me was to bite the bullet and c/t the oxy now. Not easy but very doable. I quit in may from a dose if 150-200mg a day. The worst is over in 5-6 maybe 7 days. Im currently on day 4 after starting back up with them and the worse is behind me. The rls & insomnia are hard to deal with but its only temporary. Get some immodium, a good multivitamin, and potassium supplement and get this monkey of your (their) back.
    BossFoxx808 likes this.

The RLS and the insomnia are the worst parts. They can deal with the aches and >>>>>> feeling during the day time, but like clockwork, the nights are what cause them to cave and use again. Especially considering the career, not sleeping for days in a row is just not an option.

They have used methadone before. They are not concerned at all with getting hooked on it, as they do not enjoy it as it is. When they used it before, they did a simple taper: 3 the first day, 2 the second day, 1 the third day, and a half a day for a few days after that, just to get the worst of it behind them. Then they stopped taking the methadone, but unfortunately a few days later refilled on the Oxy and fell back into it. Is this not an option again?

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by BossFoxx808 View Post
    Hey folks. I'm looking for some advice. Someone I know is desperately seeking to quit taking pain medication. They've been taking anywhere from 60mg to 150mg of Oxycodone for about a year now. Before that, the dosage was much smaller, around 10mg to 20mg a day for a year. But, with varying levels, they've been using for about 5 years. Their main method of delivery has been nasal insufflation.

Due to their career, they are unable to attend detox or rehabs. Mentally, they are completely prepared to quit, and have been trying for some time. However, after a day or two, the withdraws become so bad that they cave and consume more to alleviate the symptoms. Suboxone is under tight control, and is impossible for them to procure. However, they have been able to get their hands on methadone.

Now, they have read many articles and forums about the dangers of methadone, but they feel that it is the best bet to start quitting immediately. They have taken it before to help alleviate symptoms in the short term, but only to get by until their next refill of Oxy. This time they want to be done for good. Could you folks please help recommend a schedule for taking the methadone? Or, if a thread already exists, point them to it? They have a large supply of 5mg methadones, and are not sure how many to take initially, and at what rate to taper off.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
    I have to tell you that based on the amount of oxy that your friend is taking, I think that it would be a mistake to begin taking that methadone. It's a full agonist opiate with an incredibly long half life and is much harder to get off of than the oxy.

I have no personal experience with methadone but my son who is an active H addict has been to detox/rehab numerous times and when admitted, they always used small doses of methadone over a period of five days to help reduce detox symptoms. They're method was to start him on 20mg of the pill form of methadone and reduce that by 5mg per day and then be done. Even after that short amount of time, he experienced withdrawal symptoms from the methadone that lasted for a couple of weeks and were nearly as bad as detoxing from the H but the worst of the physical symptoms of detoxing from H was around five days. Not worth it in my opinion. The best way to use the methadone if he/she is determined to try it is to start at as low a dose as possible. It's very strong with a long half life which means that some of what he/she takes on Day 1 will still be present in his/her system on Day two and continue to build each subsequent day so it has a stacking effect. The correct way would be to start at a dose that will alleviate the worst of his symptoms and to stay at that dose for a week or so and then begin to make small reductions once every week or ten days. It's a long process and it's no picnic. I have read on this Forum that people who jump from as little as 5mg/day of methadone still will present some acute symptoms. There just is no easy way to get clean and I think that methadone is one of the poorest choices.

I am a strong advocate of cold turkey. There will be acute symptoms including aches, restless legs, diarrhea, some anxiety and generally feeling like you have the flu. The good news is that most of these acute symptoms usually pass in about 5 days. There are natural supplements that can help relieve some of the symptoms to some degree but it's still uncomfortable.

The other option would be to taper. This takes lots of self discipline but it can be done if there's enough determination. It's a long process if the intent is to eliminate as many of the symptoms as possible but make no mistake, there will still be some symptoms just not as bad. Tapering is something that I was never able to do but I have certainly followed others who were able to do it so I know that it's possible.

If there was an easy way to detox, believe me, I would know about it. I looked everywhere and read volumes but there's no way around it. The most direct route is to walk right through it and in my opinion it's to do it cold turkey. It's the quickest way to get to the other side and to start recovery work.

Sorry I don't have the answers you were hoping to get and I doubt that you'll find many, if anybody else here who will disagree with me. If your friend really wants this, and that's the key...he/she has to want it more than anything else in the world and be willing to walk through fire to get there. If he/she can get that mindset, then it can be done. I abused opiates for the better part of twenty years at daily doses higher than what you've mentioned. Was it easy? NO!! Was it worth it? YES!! I'll be clean eight years at the beginning of January.

Ask your friend to join this Forum and reach out for support and advice. This is a non-judgement zone and he'll get lots of help to get past this. I'd get rid of those methadone pronto. That's a can of worms that's not worth opening.

Peace,

Cat
    BossFoxx808 and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Catrina, thanks for replying. I saw your name mentioned and your posts throughout many of the threads I was looking through.

They have absolute determination and desire to see this through and be done. The issue is that their are others who rely heavily on them, and they shouldn't have to suffer for the poor choices that were made.

What do you think of taking the methadone just for a few days? They've gotten clean before (and stupidly thought they could use again and control it) so they are familiar with the 5-7 days of bad withdrawals. What if they took the methadone for just 3 - 5 days, so that they would theoretically be cutting the severe withdrawal time in half. That shouldn't be enough methadone to cause withdrawals once they stopped taking it, right? And then they would only have to go through another 2 - 3 days of withdrawals before they subside. Is this a potential option? Thoughts?
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by BossFoxx808 View Post
    Catrina, thanks for replying. I saw your name mentioned and your posts throughout many of the threads I was looking through.

They have absolute determination and desire to see this through and be done. The issue is that their are others who rely heavily on them, and they shouldn't have to suffer for the poor choices that were made.

What do you think of taking the methadone just for a few days? They've gotten clean before (and stupidly thought they could use again and control it) so they are familiar with the 5-7 days of bad withdrawals. What if they took the methadone for just 3 - 5 days, so that they would theoretically be cutting the severe withdrawal time in half. That shouldn't be enough methadone to cause withdrawals once they stopped taking it, right? And then they would only have to go through another 2 - 3 days of withdrawals before they subside. Is this a potential option? Thoughts?
    No I'm afraid that's not the way it's likely to go. He'll probably feel OK for those few days that he's taking the methadone but once he stops, it will only take a day or so before his symptoms kick in and he/she will be detoxing from both the oxy AND the methadone. It only takes about three days for the oxy to clear his system and the methadone will probably cover most of that up. BUT once he/she stops the methadone those symptoms are going to kick back in and last for another few weeks. So you see, he/she will only be turning the withdrawal from around 5 days if he stopped cold turkey from the oxy without taking anything else into weeks from the last dose of methadone before he'll begin to feel better. It's not going to make it easier just longer.

Just like I mentioned in my previous post, if he/she is determined to try to use the methadone and he/she has a lot of them, the best way is to do a proper taper and it's difficult to know how much will be needed to control the symptoms in the beginning. He/she may only need 20mg but then again he/she may need more. Then he/she would need to make very small reductions until his/her daily dose is very, very small. The other issue is that methadone is very easy to abuse. If he/she can taper the methadone then there's no reason why he/she can't taper the oxy and that would be a far wiser choice. I totally understand that none of us can usually take a break from life in order to be sick to detox but there just isn't any other way. None. If he/is has enough self discipline to taper then obviously that's the best choice because it will reduce the severity of the symptoms but there is still going to be symptoms and a constant battle to resist taking an extra pill now and again to treat the symptoms as they crop up with each reduction or just because it's a bad day. Our intent is always good and we promise ourselves that we'll just take that one extra and then take one less later that day. Almost never happens. It's a vicious cycle and it keeps you in a constant state of mild withdrawal. Don't get me wrong, there are people who can taper and it never ceases to amaze me. It's hard!

I've been a member of this Forum for nearly eight years and have seen countless people attempting to get off methadone. Never, and I mean NEVER have I ever read stories from people who believed that they had made a good choice by using methadone. It's commonly called liquid handcuffs because methadone is most frequently given in liquid form but the pill form is the same drug and it's nasty. I would strongly recommend that he/she make a choice to attempt to taper from the oxy and if that doesn't work, there's nothing to be ashamed of because almost everyone has trouble with that. The other choice is to do this cold turkey, call out of work with the flu and in a about a week, he/she will likely be well enough to go back to work and get on with life. It'll take another couple of weeks before sleep will return to acceptable levels and there will be cravings but that's the time we all need to dive into the work that recovery requires to maintain long term sobriety. That means meetings and/or therapy. Face to face support is invaluable and we as addicts need all the help we can get to achieve long term success. I'm sorry to say that this is simply the way it is. There's no short cuts. The good news is that it can be done. After nearly twenty years of abusing any kind of opiate I could get my dirty little hands on and thinking that I would live the remainder of my life in active addiction I finally stopped trying to find an easy way out and accepted all of what I had been told would work. I finally understood that doing things my way didn't work and began to trust those who did get clean and remained clean.

Your friend has some decisions to make and it can be scary but it's also exciting to know that by sacrificing just a little bit of time he/she can turn their entire life around. Once we are an addict, we will always be an addict but we don't have to be an active addict. We can come out the other side of this horrific experience being happy and live in peace. I believe that most recovering addicts are among the best, most compassionate folks on the face of the earth. They are almost also eager to help others who are struggling and ask nothing in return for doing whatever they can to help pull another out of the depths of addiction. In fact, helping other addicts is one of the most powerful things that I can do as a part of my own recovery work. Read enough threads on this Forum and you will see how true this is.

Best wishes for you and your friend. Make a choice on how he/she is going to get this done and no matter what that choice will be, there is help right here at least to start. Keep posting and try to get him/her to begin their own thread. I promise it will help tremendously.

Peace,

Cat