Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By caughtagain
  • 1 Post By notime
  • 1 Post By notime
Off 210 Mg/day HydroCod for 10 days after seven+ years. Still have w/d symptoms: how?
    straggler13 is offline New Member

Default Off 210 Mg/day HydroCod for 10 days after seven+ years. Still have w/d symptoms: how?

Greetings to you all from a nubee to this site. I have read a lot here and it has helped, but I have a few urgent questions which follow. Then below that is my “story” which I give for what it's worth.

My questions.
    I went from 30 Mg of hydro-codone compound seven times per day/night to zero in three weeks at the MAYO Clinic in Rochester, MN. just two weeks ago. That is: ~ 210 Mg/day for about three years with before that, lesser amounts: 20 Mg Hydrocodone compound six/day and 20 Mg Morphine (sulphate ?) six/day....started from 10 Mg Norco 4/d?+ 30 Mg Morphine? 4/d....way back some seven - eight years ago.
    My symptoms from withdrawal did not go away after 5-7 days as the MAYO Clinic had assured me.(see My Story) ?As I write this totday, I still have the chronic achrid smell symptom, and I am still very, very weak. I have headaches for large parts of the days and; I am taking 25 Mg/d zinc ( per advice on this site ) and B complex. Muscle aches and just general weakness. I arise at 6 AM every day, go for a 20 min walk, and do 20 minutes of light exersice...then club for swimming and hot tub and stationary bike . I have also quit Nicorret gum after 10 4MG pieces / day for the last twelve years; and quit caffinated coffee a few days ago to get better sleep habits. I do not know if these have conributed to my ongoing symptoms.

My question is: Am I doing everything I should to get clear of this and recover? How long will each symptom persist? What else should I be doing? I am not asking about how to deal with addiction...I have LOTS of tools for that. I just want to get somewhere better than right now. When will the smell thing stop? How about the super weakness? Any help will be very much appreciated.

My Story about pain and meds.
    Reason ( excuse ) had polio at two years while in hospital for infatile hernia surgery. with some severe foot damage from surgeries (4) as child, and progressive atrophy in left leg: chronic pain. Had ischemic attack: stroke ?( Horner’s syndrome )?in 1999. The meds I got after stroke made me feel gooooood....So I found a “Pain Management “ doctor...who started giving me whatever I said I needed.
    My life was great ....for a long time ( I thought). I could focus, I could do all things without pain. But I barely noticed my life getting smaller ands smaller. I lived for the next pill: 3 hour interval. I did less and less. My legs got weaker and weaker. I went from playing tennis 5 times per week ( singles ) to playing once or twice a week on the ball machine?– too embarrassed to play with others. I can no longer climb stairs w/o a rail and both feet on each step. As my wife was working out more after her retirement, I was fading from her view. She was gaining energy while I was losing all.
    I realized if I didn’t do something, I would lose her on life’s road. We would not travel together as we had always planned: to Europe-where I had lived for a year in the 90’s. I would probably end up showing her my favorite places in Italy, France, Spain, Austria, England, Poland and Bello-Russ from a wheel chair ....which she would have to push. I wept. I would rather die.
    I decided I must find out: is it polio that has me down? or the stroke’s effects? or? So in February 2012, we went to the MAYO in Minnesota. Much testing and painful probing by the best medical people in the world found: no polio ( so no post-polio syndrome ) no residual stroke issues.?But I am obese?–I am 6 ft 1 in and weighed 235. ( now 220 and losing ) and I took a LOT OF DOPE! So much dope that it is driving my body into atrophy. I had somehow convinced myself that?it was polio or stroke or old age ...I am 61. But my wife is 62 and actually getting stronger as she goes to the club for swimming, aerobics, weights, at least five times a week.
    So, I decided too get of the ‘meds’ and see if all the theories about exercise were correct. So I went back to the MAYO to do their Pain Rehab Center program.
    They took me from 210 Mg / day to zero in less? than three weeks. There was no anti-anxiety meds for me, no electrolyte supplements, no sleep aids, nor any type of actual medical care other than a twice per week “medically supervised” discussion with an MD and several Clinical Nurse Practitioners, and a psychologist. Their only function seemed to be to : 1. Determine if I were in any serious risk of dying from withdrawal, and 2. Assure me in every way that I? should not quit, but stick it out: “your symptoms from withdrawal will end in 5-7 days of your getting off the ‘meds’.”? My group of fifteen fellow “inmates” as we called ourselves referred to the medical board meetings as “ The Parole Board “ - it was me who coined the phrase. Their PRC program is one-size-fits-all: three weeks and bang-yer dun! ?There were few there in the program who were anywhere near my level of addiction...and those that were?–?like the?lady in her late 70’s on a morphine drip ~200?– 250 Mg / day from an esophageal cancer?– some removal of it? REPLACED WITH ...? a garden hose? I would?tear up whenever I saw her ...they had her on the same?‘taper’ as the rest: three weeks and bang-yer dun! I do not know?how, or even if, she got through to no dope! I gave her hugs...
    ?
    After the first week, I was almost at a psychotic break with anxiety which lasted for four or five days: no sleep, my wife holding me like a little baby ( I didn’t even have time to fear turning her into a ‘mother’, I was far too screwed up...my guilt would need to wait until I got through this. I got NO sleep. Week two began the shocks, crawling skin, muscle spasms, and yet thankfully the anxiety had waned...mostly. But it is still there a little, even after I have been home for a week and off the dope for two weeks. I was getting about 2 hours sleep ( rest?) per night. Week three saw me go to zero dope two days before my three week one-size-fits-all drug rehab came to an end. I still was not happy about the anxiety, lack of sleep, and now I had sneezing, body aches, a strange pungent smell in my nose: like I had stuck my nose in a box of powdered detergent and could not get it out. Not the end but...

I am a rock musician.
    See me at YouTube: 13STRAGGLER

THANKS for the help.
    Greg "Straggler13"
    BTW It is really frustrating to have your entire thread text deleted because you have chosen too many tags! I had to re-write this whole thing twice...now I will write it in notes and paste it here.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Hey Greg, welcome to the forum and I am sorry about how you are feeling.... it does not shock me for one minute that you are still feeling the WD's... That 5-7 day guidline is just that... You should start feeling better though, just have faith that This Too Shall Pass.. Keep doing what you can to work out and get some excercise in and that will help. All my best, Reid
    winged eagle and LovesAnimals like this.

winged eagle is offline Advanced Member

Hello, Straggler, welcome to the forum :-)
    I'm a bit confused about your post. At first I thought you still had withdrawal symptoms weeks after stopping. Then at the end, if I understand correctly, I learn it was the taper all along and you've only recently completely stopped the dope?
    Because if that's the case, it's basically a few days of misery after COMPLETELY stopping.
    So how long has it been since you took your very last dose?
    No worries, I'm sure you'll be feeling a lot better soon, just hang in there, and post as often as you can, it really helps. Plus, there are many here who will support you, but more importantly, who have the experience to advise and guide you. You're in good hands :-)

Quote Originally Posted by winged eagle View Post
    Hello, Straggler, welcome to the forum :-)
    I'm a bit confused about your post. At first I thought you still had withdrawal symptoms weeks after stopping. Then at the end, if I understand correctly, I learn it was the taper all along and you've only recently completely stopped the dope?
    Because if that's the case, it's basically a few days of misery after COMPLETELY stopping.
    So how long has it been since you took your very last dose?
    Sorry, I did not make that clear. On Aug. 15, 2012, I was down to 1- 5/650 Vicodin for the day. On 16 Aug. I was at zero. So, from today, it makes 12 days clean. So, 32 days ago, I was taking 210 Mg HydCod / day ( 30 Mg HYCd x 7/d) ....for 4 years with lesser doses ( 20Mg compound, 10 Mg Norco )going back about eight years.

But I still have the same unanswered questions. How long for the acrid smell symptom, what can I do to make it go away? I cannot taste anything but salt. I am taking chew-able 25 Mg zinc w/C each day but it says do not take for more than three days ...? See my med list for other supplements.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

The only thing I can say about the whole addiction process and coming out of WD... When we use, all our systems are just plain messed up.. From Taste, to smell, you name it and it gets affected... When we come out of WD, the time it takes to get back to normal can take some time... how long? Again, it differs.. Hang in there and just keep doing the next right thing... all my best, Reid

notime is offline Junior Member

Straggler, I know that smell your talking about. I wasn't on the amount of meds that you wete, but it took a good 10 days before that weird smell was gone. I'm on day 24 and still have the headache, not fun but I'm pushing through it. Just hang in there, things will start improving soon.
    straggler13 likes this.

Sunny mom is offline Member

Good to see you post, notime, I was wondering about you the other day! Sounds like you're doing well, yay! Straggler, I never had the smell issue, but I did have some issue with a taste in my mouth...very annoying. I'm sure that will subside in time...hang in there!

notime is offline Junior Member

Hi Sunny mom,good to hear from you. I'm hanging in there, so far so good.
    Sunny mom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by notime View Post
    Straggler, I know that smell your talking about. I wasn't on the amount of meds that you wete, but it took a good 10 days before that weird smell was gone. I'm on day 24 and still have the headache, not fun but I'm pushing through it. Just hang in there, things will start improving soon.
    Thank you for a substantive answer. I have been 'clean' for 15 days now. The sneezing and smell ticks are still upon me. It seems as if they shall never leave me. I suck on a 25Mg zinc tab each day, get 1 hr exercise at 7 AM and pool 45 min. 5 x week. I crave any food that is rich and strong because all else smells like soap. The air smells like soap, my clothes, and tasting anything is luck.

When the smell thing is gone ( ?soon? ) I shall have some idea of what to say to others who have come clean after many years of heavy dope use.