Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
Oxycodone 105mg>>>20mg methadone Daily
    Anonymous Guest

Default Oxycodone 105mg>>>20mg methadone Daily

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I have read the forums/conversations for many years. Anyway, I am in need of advice, support, and answers - from anyone that can relate and/or help me.

I am a chronic intractable pain patient. I suffer from permanent nerve damage, DDD, and have had major spinal surgery - along with some other minor issues, that are unrelated. I have been on pain meds(nearly all of them) for a few years now. Because I am permanently disabled, my income is limited. It is for these reasons, that my pain Dr & myself - have decided to go the route of methadone. I know the stories. I've read & researched A LOT. That's not what I am here for.

I am here, because I need to know - if 20mg daily, is going to be enough methadone - to prevent me from going into withdrawals. I currently take 3x15mg oxycontin + 4x15mg oxycodone daily for my pain. That is 105mg daily total. I do NOT cheat, or go over. I take my meds as prescribed(as we all should).

Anyway, I would appreciate any insight - that people who have been in a similar spot - can provide me. Is this a good cross-tolerant dose? Will the pain relief be as good? Side effects? Etc. I know it's all personalized. But I would appreciate any & all feedback.

This was a VERY long & personal decision I made for my life. I am ok with long-term methadone treatment if it works for me. I don't plan on getting a new spine, or new nerves anytime soon. My goal is inexpensive, long term relief. I don't care about gory details. I NEED the longer half-life methadone provides. I NEED the cheaper cost, and i NEED the pain Relief. Please reply if you could be so kind. Thank you!

Ps details of your switch - if the same as mine, would be GREAT! Did you adjust? Did you get pain relief? Etc.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Welcome!

My story isn't exactly like yours because I'm an addict that's abused every drug he's ever taken and in recovery for over 3 years now, but I wanted to provide some kind of answer for you.. It began with an auto accident where I injured my knee and surgery was required to repair it. The narcotic pain meds dispensed after surgery did their job, but I began to like them too much. Really like them. That lead to nearly 18 years of drug abuse. I eventually tried Methadone and had the same results with that, abused it too, for years. I started with a lower dose, then quickly climbed to over 200mgs per day. So I know all about Methadone and what it can and will do for you.

In your case I congratulate you for taking your pain meds as directed. Sure wish I could have done that in the beginning. My question for you is: Why are you and your doctor deciding on going the Methadone route? Are you not getting pain relief from the Oxy any longer? Is your current dose of Oxy not enough? Just curious?

So lets get to your question of if 20mgs of Methadone will be enough to hold off wd's....

The answer is that it most likely will....for a while. As your body get use to this drug it many times takes more to estabilsih the same results. So what 20mgs may do for now it may take more than that later on. And more than that later on too. Everyone is different and what works for you might not work for me and vice versa. Methadone is strong with a long half life so a little goes a long way, in the beginning. Now it's entirely possible that 20mgs may do the job you're searching for for quite some time and you may never need to increase the dose. That is possible, but unlikely if I'm being honest.

When you began taking the Oxy were you on a much smaller amount? Are you on the same dose now that you were taking originally? If so that's amazing! Or have you had to increase your dose over time? If so it will probably be the same with the Methadone. Opiates are opiates.

I hope I've given you some insight. I can't imagine dealing with the pain you're having on a daily basis. I wish you the absolute best. Please continue to post and I'm sure others will have more to say about your situation. Take care.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Thank you for responding, Randy. I appreciate it! Ok, a few things you touched on. First, my Doc & I decided to go this route for a few reasons. I need a pain med with a longer half-life. The ER meds I have taken up til now, have only lasted - tops - maybe 6 hours. I cannot make it thru the night. Methadone, as you know, has a very long half-life. Second, I am a disabled vet on limited income. I cannot afford the $70 a month Oxycontin any longer. Frankly, I think it's overrated anyway. 12 hour relief my >>>>. 6 hours is more like it. So, methadone is $6 a month.

As I said, I am most likely going to be on pain meds the rest of my life. So I'm not concerned with coming off anything. Oh, and to answer your other question, yes, I am on the SAME doses of Oxycontin & Oxycodone, that I've been from the beginning of my pain mgmt. so, I haven't needed an increase in meds. I'm just hoping 20mg methadone is as effective - as the 105mg oxy daily.

Actually, I hope it's better! The oxy is overrated in my mind. It is a bizzare pain med. one hour I may feel stimulate, the next exhausted. It's very unpredictable. Once again, thanks for the reply!
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PainPlan View Post
    Thank you for responding, Randy. I appreciate it! Ok, a few things you touched on. First, my Doc & I decided to go this route for a few reasons. I need a pain med with a longer half-life. The ER meds I have taken up til now, have only lasted - tops - maybe 6 hours. I cannot make it thru the night. Methadone, as you know, has a very long half-life. Second, I am a disabled vet on limited income. I cannot afford the $70 a month Oxycontin any longer. Frankly, I think it's overrated anyway. 12 hour relief my >>>>. 6 hours is more like it. So, methadone is $6 a month.

As I said, I am most likely going to be on pain meds the rest of my life. So I'm not concerned with coming off anything. Oh, and to answer your other question, yes, I am on the SAME doses of Oxycontin & Oxycodone, that I've been from the beginning of my pain mgmt. so, I haven't needed an increase in meds. I'm just hoping 20mg methadone is as effective - as the 105mg oxy daily.

Actually, I hope it's better! The oxy is overrated in my mind. It is a bizzare pain med. one hour I may feel stimulate, the next exhausted. It's very unpredictable. Once again, thanks for the reply!

You're welcome. And I didn't realize you were a Veteran. I sincerely Thank You for your service!

I understand your reasoning for going the Methadone route. Besides all the horror stories it is a good long term pain medication. I abused it as I mentioned so my results were far different than they will be for you.

I have another question for you...You've asked will 20mgs of Methadone do the job as good or better than the Oxy will. What if it doesn't, will you be inclined to take more if needed? What if it takes 100mgs for example, are you open to that possibility?

Randy

Anonymous Guest

Well, I am still being prescribed the oxycodone 15mg for B/T pain. Up to 4 daily. I would really prefer not to use them. If, in fact, I require more mg of methadone? I am comfortable with an increase.

I told my doctor, that I would much rather just take the methadone daily(however much that may be), than use it - alongside - a regimen of oxycodone. I am not a big fan of oxycodone. It's pain-relieving properties are short-lived.

I start the methadone tomorrow, and I am a little nervous. I don't know what to expect. My last dose of oxycontin/oxycodone will be between 7-9pm tonight. So, hopefully my morning dose of methadone can work on it's own - so I can gauge how it works. My doc didn't say what time to start it or make sure it's X amount of time after your last dose of Oxycontin. So, I figure morning, after at least 8 hrs from taking my current meds - is long enough to avoid an interaction.

Thanks for the input! I would ask you if there's anything I need to look for - when first getting acclimated to methadone?