Oxycontin / Depression Concerns
    scubablt is offline New Member

Default Oxycontin / Depression Concerns

Hello.

I need some advice and help and words from people who have used Oxycontin. I have been using it for three years for intense pain related to a horrible injury I suffered a few years ago. I hurt so badm, I couod NOT function or work or live a normal life without some pain Rx. My level 8 to 9 pain level totally controls my life. It is all I can think about when it flares up and gets bad. I suffer pain 24/7! The OC helps me be able to think @ somethng else..... know what I mean? If you are a chronic pain syfferer, you do! Right?!? I get it legally from my Dr., but I do have some important questions I would be grateful to receive some answers/advice to:

1) I am now at 160 mg/day (2-80 mgs/day, 12 hours a part). I started at 80 mg/day, but had to gradually move up over three years to 160/day to get something even close to adequate relief. Is that normal? How long before I need to move up to the next higher dosage? I know everyone is different, but is there a medical formula that Drs. and Pharmacists look at or use to know you are not just wanting more Rx?

2) I also use 4-5 mgs (20 mg/day) for breakthru pain... which I have to use every day... and need more! Is this regimine normal, you know, to use some Rx. for Br. thru pain?

3) I have been guilty of "chewing" my OC some. I know it says NOT to do that, but I have. Has anyone else done that? What can you tell me @ chewing other than what the "label" says" I do NOT get any kind of a high... seriously, none! So, it is not used for a high, but to feel normal and get relief from pain. Any advice here?

4) It is so expensive, but I do get some help from insurance. How much is it to pay full price? Does anyone sell it on the street to make ends meet and provide for the family? I WILL not do anything illegal -- just curious.

5) Does any other Pain Rxs on the market (that is not full of tylenol or aspirin, etc) work as well as OC that you could recommend for me to try? I cannot function, work, live normally, etc. w/ out something for pain. I have a terrible back pain that I have to treat. The pain totally tkaes over my life and mind. Any advice?

6) I would appreciate any other words or suggestions about OC, pain Rx in general etc.

7) I am also suffering BAD depression due to the pain... anone else suffering depression due to the battle you have with pain? My pain has interferred with work, life, relationships, sex, dating, hobbies, etc. I mean, it has completely ruined my life and the OC Pain Rx. has at least brought some relief to me. What suggestions do you have @ the Depression? Any Rx work well?

Thanks,
    LEE

Keep the Faith & trust the RXS!!! In SCUBA: Don't hold your breath, and come up slow blowing bubbles. Also: God created WOMEN for MEN... PTL!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

High Lee:You need to get your dose raised 80mgs\8hrs instead of 80mgs\12hrs.Yes it is quite normal to take break thru meds.Your breaking up the pills out of desperation, you need to get 90 a month rather than 60 pills a month.Pallodone which is sustained release diludid (no tylenol) would benifit you greatly.Alot of people on narcotics for pain suffer depression,try wellbutrin an anti-depressant.I'm sorry I'm not familular(sp) with your drug coverage as I'm in Canada.Ask your doctor about my suggestions and let us know how you made out.I've been on narcotic pain control for 25 years.....Dave

laceymist is offline New Member

Hi Lee
    I take oxycontin as well for chronic pain,like you without it I would
    not be able to function on a daily basis.I also have Depression and
    take medication for this, there are alot of people who are going through the same as you and I are.Dave gave great advice,I hope you check out getting your dosage changed and get medication for your depression.
    Good Luck Lee Hang In There

Lacey

hecate12 is offline New Member

Hi
    I am a fibro sufferer, and I take several meds and one of which is 80 mg. oxy 2 a day. I used to use mscotin 5 to 10 mg for breakthrough but that changed with all the other meds I am on. Yes everything you are saying is normal.
    You may want to talk to your dr about the deppression. Most of the time I have seen people put on either Welbuterin, Paxil CR, Xanax and or Tegretol. Any and all of these are good. Just as with every/anything else this has to be monitored to make sure that this is the one for you. As far as you trying to get any kind of relief, My suggestion again would be talk to your doctor and see if there is anyway you can get into any kind of physical therapy (water therapy seems to work best for chronic pain patients). Also check with your doctor about some of the alternative methods of pain control such as Chiropractic/Accupunture/Accupressure/Reiki/Massage etc. Who knows one just might be YOUR medical cure.
    The biggest thing I can't express enough is a good communication with your doctor and they can get you on the right track

as for question #4... boy when you find out let me know lol.. check into a site called
    .... www.needymeds.com

they have lists of meds that are on programs where you may be able to get meds discounted or free.

Good luck and hope this helps at least for a few
    hugs (gentle hugs that is lol)
    Barb

Casey55 is offline Member

Hi Lee,

1) You either need your dosage increased or try another one of the pain meds. Everyone has to find the one that works best for them. I started out on Dilaudid and it worked pretty well. I eventually had to go to the Duragesic patch Fentanyl and that made the pain tolerabe while I waited to have my surgery. It comes in 25, 50, 75, and 100 and 25 was all I needed. The nice thing about the patch is it lasts for 72 hrs so you get steady, constant pain relief 24/7, and you just chage it every three days. You don't have to remember to take pills and they don't stop working if you forget to take them or wear off in the middle of the night. The only side effect I had was sleepiness, but I have to say I welcomed the sleep. I would not drive while I was on it, it was too dangerous, but I wasn't going anywhere in the pain I was in except to the doctors.

2) When my doctor put me on the patch, he told me I could still use the Dilaudid for break through pain, but I never needed to.

3)I am wondering why you chew your pain pills. Did you think they would work better or what???? The reason you can't cut or chew your pills is because the medicine will not work correctly, it can decrease the affectiveness of it, so you might not be getting the full benefit of the pills for your pain and if that is the case you are just waisting your money.

4)Call your pharmacist and they can tell you how much your medicine would cost without insurance. I would not get them off the street, you don't know where they came from, what is in them and they might not be safe and you already have enough trouble without that.

5)When they gave me Morphine, it didn't touch my pain, no affect what so ever. When we realized that Morphine so I had to use anoter pain med. Morphine is usually the drug hospitals give most people for post-op pain, and is used regularly in the ER. You just have to find the one that works best for you.

6)I never used OC

7)Depression is common among people who suffer in prolonged pain. A good anti-depressant could be very beneficial. I don't know who you would get to prescribe them for you, I doubt the surgeon would, but perhaps they could tell you where to go to get on one. As someone who has suffered for 7 yrs with Major depression until 2 yrs ago, I wanted to tell you, the SSRI family of anti-depressants are often used first now a days. They are Prozac, Luvox, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa and Lexapro. They help many but many go off them because of the sexual and weight gain side effects they can have. If you do consider an SSRI (selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor) try to avoid Paxil. It has the shortest half life and most difficult withdrawal. There are other good medicines for depression. I tried every single SSRI and none of them touched my depression, but finally they put me on Wellbutrin and it has worked wonderfully with no real side effects. It doesn't cause sexual side effects or weight gain.

I hope you see your doctor soon and get started on something, depression can really wear you down. Also, I hope they can find a way to better control your pain for you. Have you ever seen a Pain Management doctor, they specialize in it and many surgeon refer their patients to one to manage their pain.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.
    Casey

iklemisdynomite is offline New Member

Wink Darlin Lee

Sorry but just had to add to your quote......That god may have put woman here for you men but us woman god put here are here for more then just that, lol .........To make you men suffer!!!!!!!!!! lol
    take care
    best wishes
    Sandy xx
    Quote Originally Posted by scubablt View Post
    Hello.

I need some advice and help and words from people who have used Oxycontin. I have been using it for three years for intense pain related to a horrible injury I suffered a few years ago. I hurt so badm, I couod NOT function or work or live a normal life without some pain Rx. My level 8 to 9 pain level totally controls my life. It is all I can think about when it flares up and gets bad. I suffer pain 24/7! The OC helps me be able to think @ somethng else..... know what I mean? If you are a chronic pain syfferer, you do! Right?!? I get it legally from my Dr., but I do have some important questions I would be grateful to receive some answers/advice to:

1) I am now at 160 mg/day (2-80 mgs/day, 12 hours a part). I started at 80 mg/day, but had to gradually move up over three years to 160/day to get something even close to adequate relief. Is that normal? How long before I need to move up to the next higher dosage? I know everyone is different, but is there a medical formula that Drs. and Pharmacists look at or use to know you are not just wanting more Rx?

2) I also use 4-5 mgs (20 mg/day) for breakthru pain... which I have to use every day... and need more! Is this regimine normal, you know, to use some Rx. for Br. thru pain?

3) I have been guilty of "chewing" my OC some. I know it says NOT to do that, but I have. Has anyone else done that? What can you tell me @ chewing other than what the "label" says" I do NOT get any kind of a high... seriously, none! So, it is not used for a high, but to feel normal and get relief from pain. Any advice here?

4) It is so expensive, but I do get some help from insurance. How much is it to pay full price? Does anyone sell it on the street to make ends meet and provide for the family? I WILL not do anything illegal -- just curious.

5) Does any other Pain Rxs on the market (that is not full of tylenol or aspirin, etc) work as well as OC that you could recommend for me to try? I cannot function, work, live normally, etc. w/ out something for pain. I have a terrible back pain that I have to treat. The pain totally tkaes over my life and mind. Any advice?

6) I would appreciate any other words or suggestions about OC, pain Rx in general etc.

7) I am also suffering BAD depression due to the pain... anone else suffering depression due to the battle you have with pain? My pain has interferred with work, life, relationships, sex, dating, hobbies, etc. I mean, it has completely ruined my life and the OC Pain Rx. has at least brought some relief to me. What suggestions do you have @ the Depression? Any Rx work well?

Thanks,
    LEE

Keep the Faith & trust the RXS!!! In SCUBA: Don't hold your breath, and come up slow blowing bubbles. Also: God created WOMEN for MEN... PTL!

iklemisdynomite is offline New Member

Wink

Sorry but just had to add to your quote......That god may have put woman here for you men but us woman god put here are here for more then just that, lol .........To make you men suffer!!!!!!!!!! lol
    take care

best wishes
    Sandy xx