Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Catrina
OxyContin wd help :(
    Adwhitak is offline New Member

Default OxyContin wd help :(

I'm 25 years old. I was taking OxyContin for about 2 years when I was 20 and I decided to get clean a few years ago. It was a long 4 days but I finally did it with the help of friends. About 2 years later I Unfortunately fell back in the trap. I've been taking about 30 mg of OxyContin per day for the last year. I'm 100 pounds. Can barely eat. No exercise. No energy. I just want to get back to my normal self. I've been through the wd process many times due to running out and I am terrified to do it again. I wanted to ask about any ways you know of to help with the restless legs and no sleep. I have not been to a doctor and do not plan to do so. I'm tapering off now and the wd has already started slightly. I'm so scared. Help. Tylenol pm doesn't help me- I tried it a few years ago and I woke up from a 5 minute nap gasping for breath. (I had taken 3 Tylenol pm). I will have some cramps but not a lot and no vomiting. The sweats are just the worst part. Makes me not want to do anything at all. Restless legs is also a tough thing to deal with especially with my boyfriend having to sleep beside me at night. This time around I am by myself. My boyfriend and I live together but he has no clue as to what I've been doing and I do not plan on going to him for help or comfort. I want to do this alone and get it over with so that I can get back to my happy self. Our relationship has plummeted over the past year and even if I don't want to admit that my mind has changed- I know that it has. I get easily frustrated and upset with so many things that I used to not do. It's like I can't control myself anymore. I just need someone ANYONE to talk to. So alone.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Adwhitak welcome to the forum. There are plenty of people here to support you. Everything you are feeling and going through is normal. We all started the same way scared of the withdrawal process. You have done this before you can make it through again. Drink plenty of water, plenty of water stay hydrated will help rid your body of toxins and help with rls. Ahh sweats I found no magic cure, that was the worst for me, but this too shall pass.. I can honestly promise you that. You got this. Keep posting and reading. Stay Strong for Today..

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adwhitak View Post
    I'm 25 years old. I was taking OxyContin for about 2 years when I was 20 and I decided to get clean a few years ago. It was a long 4 days but I finally did it with the help of friends. About 2 years later I Unfortunately fell back in the trap. I've been taking about 30 mg of OxyContin per day for the last year. I'm 100 pounds. Can barely eat. No exercise. No energy. I just want to get back to my normal self. I've been through the wd process many times due to running out and I am terrified to do it again. I wanted to ask about any ways you know of to help with the restless legs and no sleep. I have not been to a doctor and do not plan to do so. I'm tapering off now and the wd has already started slightly. I'm so scared. Help. Tylenol pm doesn't help me- I tried it a few years ago and I woke up from a 5 minute nap gasping for breath. (I had taken 3 Tylenol pm). I will have some cramps but not a lot and no vomiting. The sweats are just the worst part. Makes me not want to do anything at all. Restless legs is also a tough thing to deal with especially with my boyfriend having to sleep beside me at night. This time around I am by myself. My boyfriend and I live together but he has no clue as to what I've been doing and I do not plan on going to him for help or comfort. I want to do this alone and get it over with so that I can get back to my happy self. Our relationship has plummeted over the past year and even if I don't want to admit that my mind has changed- I know that it has. I get easily frustrated and upset with so many things that I used to not do. It's like I can't control myself anymore. I just need someone ANYONE to talk to. So alone.
    Welcome to the forum. If you are not able to taper slow enough then you will be in a constant state of withdrawal. Tapering is very hard to do, not many people can do it! Tapering must be done very slowly, gradually over time to avoid or at the very least minimize any withdrawal symptoms! If you want to taper properly then you should only make 10-20% reductions in dose every 7-10 days. As you can see this is a very slow process that takes a lot of willpower and patience.

You been through a cold turkey detox before so you know what's in store if you go that route. About a week of flu-like symptoms with the worst of it being over by day 5 or so. After that you'll have some lingering symptoms like low energy, hard time sleeping and maybe some depression and/or anxiety. All of these things will pass with time!

If you do not have enough pills or for any other reason you cannot do a PROPER taper then it would be best to flush whatever pills you have left and start your detox and recovery right now otherwise you'll just be prolonging the inevitable!

Not much you will be able to do about the no sleep/can't sleep issue, it is unfortunately part of the detox but it will get better.

For the RLS you can try Hyland's Restful Legs, it is sold at Walmart and most drugstores. Also, lots of potassium rich foods and a potassium supplement can help.

Here's a link to the Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal - https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

The Thomas Recipe may help ease the detox a bit so it's definitely recommended to give it a try. Follow everything in the recipe except for the benzo, benzos are EXTREMELY addictive and can become a problem very quickly so it's best to avoid them all together! Drink lots of water and Gatorade! High potassium and high protein! Best of luck to you! Keep us updated on your progress? God bless us all!
    Lvg nghtmare and Catrina like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome!

You have already received some good advice and I hope that you can dig deep and find the strength to get on with this. At your young age and the 30 mg/day you're taking this shouldn't be as bad as your mind is telling you. Those are the mental games that we go through perpetuating our abuse. I can promise you this: The anticipation of a cold turkey detox is many times worse than it really is. I know. For nearly twenty years I was on the vicious cycle of preparing myself to detox. I wanted to be done with this so badly but just thinking about my Day 1 would soon have me procrastinating for one more day. Right. One more day turned into twenty years. During that time, I did cold turkey detox so many times I lost count and once I knew what I was in store for, it only made it that much harder.

Preparing for my last Day 1 over seven years ago, the only thing I did differently was to approach it with commitment and excitement. I wasn't afraid and I didn't dread it. I finally really understood that there is no way to the other side except to walk right on through it. There is no magic. The physiology of being addicted to opiates is fairly simple and once we truly understand what our bodies need to do we can come to terms with it. Opiates flood the mu receptors in our brains and after a time our brains will develop additional receptors to accommodate this flood so that it will need more and more of the opiate to satisfy its need. This is why our use will escalate. By this time, our brains have shut down and have stopped producing their own feel good chemicals including nature's way of pain relief. Once that happens, the only way to turn it around is to allow those receptors to be stripped of opiates and allow some time to pass so that our brains wake up and begin to do its work again. This is what causes detox symptoms. There are supplements that might help with some of the symptoms but there is nothing that I know of that will eliminate them all together. As Ricky said, you will experience those flu-like symptoms for four or five days and then most of the acute symptoms will abruptly stop. Most of what's left is the mental part until your brain is producing enough of the chemicals it needs. The result is inability to sleep and some depression. It will pass! It always, always does.

Try to envision yourself on the bank of an iced cold raging river and survival is on the other side. We have to somehow find the courage to cross. We can find things that might help us but it won't be perfect. We're still probably going to get wet, be scared, and we won't know for sure what will be on the other side when we get there. The other option is to stay put and not try to cross and abandon our only chance of survival. Addiction is exactly like this. It will never go away until we strip our brain receptors and allow the healing to begin.

Addiction is so destructive and not only physically. It saps our self esteem, destroys relationships, and empties our bank accounts. We spend so much time trying to figure out how to get out of the mess and maintain our secret that years will pass if we let it. This is a progressive disease 100% of the time. When I got my first prescription in the early 1970's (yes, I'm that old!) it was for Tylenol 3 and taking only one would make me nauseous. Of course, that didn't stop me and it didn't become a problem right away. I took them on and off and didn't miss them when I didn't have them. Then, when I was thirty five, I had some medical issues at the same time that I was going through a very hurtful breakup. The perfect storm. One 5mg perc was all I needed at night. In a very short time, I needed two at night, then another two in the morning to face the day. Over the course of the next few years I was able to gobble over 100 mg/day and before I knew it, I was taking 200-240/day and would have taken more if I had them. It had become a full time job.

I note that your post was made yesterday but you haven't posted again since then. I do hope that you do. You'll find great advice and incredible support here. If you can begin to consider therapy and/or meetings, that's even better. Just being able to post on this Forum and get to know folks here who truly understood what I was going through was key for me. By the time I found this site, I was certain that I was the dregs of humanity. My self esteem was non-existent and I had managed to hurt the people I love the most. They had been replaced with a pill. How sad. Here I found intelligent, good people who just like me found a very bad relationship with a pill. I had done a lot of things that I am not proud of during my 20 year run and I never thought I'd get passed it and forgive myself. I'd ask myself "what's the use?" and that would allow me to continue on with what I was doing. Until I finally decided that my only hope to be able to live in my own skin was to find the courage and faith to get clean and figure out a way to stay that way. Seven years later, I can honestly tell you that although at the beginning of my recovery I despised myself and the prospect of having to live with myself clean and sober was terrifying, today I like myself more than I ever did. I am a good person who made some very poor choices but I'm back and better than before. You can do it too. You have to do it because if you think you're in a bad place now, there will be worse ahead of you. Be brave and have faith.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.