Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anon830307
Pregnant and detoxing off codeine
    Anon830307 is offline New Member

Default Pregnant and detoxing off codeine

Hi. I’m currently 10 weeks pregnant and I could use some advice or even encouragement. I’ve had an ongoing codeine addiction for 14 years. During those years I’ve also been on a methadone and suboxone maintenance program. I got off suboxone in May last year, but only lasted 3 months before I relapsed onto codeine again. For the last 16 months I’ve been using every day, but the use has gone up and down as I’ve tried to taper off it. At my worst point I was taking more than 40 panadeine extras a day- 15mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol each tablet. My doc is aware and I’ve been getting regular blood tests to check my liver. So up until 12 days ago I was slowly reducing with the aim to be off by Christmas. I’d gotten down to only 4 tablets a day and then found out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago. Due to severe morning sickness I couldn’t take the tablets anymore. They made me throw up, so I had to jump off the 4 tablets. I’ve gone through detox and withdrawal a lot and some of it’s been pretty bad so with only taking 4 a day I thought it wouldn’t be too bad. Well, I was wrong. This is one of the hardest I’ve gone through. I don’t know if it’s because I’m pregnant but it’s been horrible. 2 days ago though I was starting to get better. Then yesterday, boom. My stomach cramps and diarrhoea back worse than before. Aches, insomnia, sweating. I don’t count nausea and vomiting since I don’t know if it’s withdrawals or morning sickness. But the worst is the Akathisia. Last night I really felt like I was in hell. I just wanted to bang my head against the wall until I passed out. I NEED sleep! I desperately want this to stop. I’ve always had this during withdrawals but combined with the pregnancy it’s made it hell. Is there anything I can do? I do try to go for a walk but leaving the house at the moment gives me panic attacks. Showers feel like knives and I don’t have access to a bath. My doc is a bit out of her depth and doesn’t know how to help. Why has this started again when I was starting to get better? How long will this last? Help!
    Catrina likes this.

doodlebug1969 is offline New Member

I can't give you any advice, but I can say that you'll get through this. Insomnia is something I've been fighting my entire life and I've found that listening to certain things helps. Self-hypnosis for sleep, relaxing sounds, Tibetan singing bowls...all of those are on rotation and headphones at the ready!

((hugs)) to you and the little one. You've got this!!!!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anon830307 View Post
    Hi. I’m currently 10 weeks pregnant and I could use some advice or even encouragement. I’ve had an ongoing codeine addiction for 14 years. During those years I’ve also been on a methadone and suboxone maintenance program. I got off suboxone in May last year, but only lasted 3 months before I relapsed onto codeine again. For the last 16 months I’ve been using every day, but the use has gone up and down as I’ve tried to taper off it. At my worst point I was taking more than 40 panadeine extras a day- 15mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol each tablet. My doc is aware and I’ve been getting regular blood tests to check my liver. So up until 12 days ago I was slowly reducing with the aim to be off by Christmas. I’d gotten down to only 4 tablets a day and then found out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago. Due to severe morning sickness I couldn’t take the tablets anymore. They made me throw up, so I had to jump off the 4 tablets. I’ve gone through detox and withdrawal a lot and some of it’s been pretty bad so with only taking 4 a day I thought it wouldn’t be too bad. Well, I was wrong. This is one of the hardest I’ve gone through. I don’t know if it’s because I’m pregnant but it’s been horrible. 2 days ago though I was starting to get better. Then yesterday, boom. My stomach cramps and diarrhoea back worse than before. Aches, insomnia, sweating. I don’t count nausea and vomiting since I don’t know if it’s withdrawals or morning sickness. But the worst is the Akathisia. Last night I really felt like I was in hell. I just wanted to bang my head against the wall until I passed out. I NEED sleep! I desperately want this to stop. I’ve always had this during withdrawals but combined with the pregnancy it’s made it hell. Is there anything I can do? I do try to go for a walk but leaving the house at the moment gives me panic attacks. Showers feel like knives and I don’t have access to a bath. My doc is a bit out of her depth and doesn’t know how to help. Why has this started again when I was starting to get better? How long will this last? Help!
    Welcome!

I'm so sorry that you're going through this but count it as a blessing that you were pushed into quitting in order to take care of your baby. I know it doesn't feel like a blessing but maybe it's the push you needed.

Am I reading your post correctly that you took your last tablet about 3 weeks ago? If that's not right, please tell us how long it has been since you haven't taken anything. Detox/withdrawal is usually very predictable for short acting opiates such as what you were taking with the worst of the physical symptoms most often passing within a week. What remains for longer is the inability to sleep, anxiety/cravings and it sounds like that's where you're at right now. The bathroom issues continue for a bit longer than that first week too with some days being better than others but it takes a few weeks for that to settle down consistently. The sleep can take several weeks before you begin to be able to string together a few hours and longer yet before you will sleep soundly through the night.

Having said that, if your last tablet was less than a couple of weeks ago, I'm afraid that you're following the usual timeline. If it was three weeks ago, things should really begin to turn around very soon. How much sleep are you able to get? I couldn't sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time with only a total of maybe an hour a night for a couple of weeks. Then, I'd be able to get an hour or two, wake up but be able to fall back to sleep after being awake for a bit. After about a month, I was sleeping for 4 or 5 hours a night mostly uninterrupted on most nights but would still have bad nights too. Good sleep patterns return very gradually and of course, being tired just makes everything else feel worse. You're in your first trimester so I'm quite sure that this is adding to not feeling well. It's typical to be tired and feel ill during this time but once you get into your second trimester, you'll begin to feel better at least from anything you're feeling now being caused by your pregnancy.

Check with your doctor to be sure it's OK to take Immodium. If it is, get the liquid form if you can find it and use it as the package instructs. It's very effective for the diarrhea. Be sure to drink as much as you can. Gatorade or vitamin infused water is best. Eat a protein rich diet. I used almond milk, raw honey, berries, banana, ice cubes and protein powder. Put it all into a blender and you have a tasty meal without fuss and it's easy to get down. Rest when you can but otherwise do your best to be up and moving around. Use heating pads for any aches or restless legs. Have you seen and read the Thomas Recipe? It's attached to these Boards but you can also google it. It's a list of vitamins and supplements that might help some of your symptoms but again, check with your doctor to be sure that everything on the list is safe for you during your pregnancy. The Recipe includes benzos but obviously, unless you are already taking them under your doctor's supervision avoid them like the plague. They're a can of worms that isn't worth opening.

Keep reading and posting here. There will be others around that will give you advice and support and most people find it tremendously helpful to just get things out by sharing here. Find some really long threads and read them start to finish. You'll find it difficult to not be inspired. Just know that all this ugliness will pass but you just need some time. Keep reminding yourself that whatever you're going through is worth it to be sure that your baby arrives healthy. That's some strong motivation right there.

Best wishes and keep us updated. You can and will get through this.

Peace,

Cat

Thank you for your replies. It felt good coming back on here and seeing them. I am now 12 days into detox, found out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago.

I’ve been a bit reluctant to take something for the diarrhoea as in my last pregnancies I had bad constipation and I’m scared the medicine will make it go that way. I have however taken it through previous detoxes so I guess I didn’t know how long it could last.

No one in my house knows about this relapse and subsequent detox. This has made it a lot more difficult and isolating as I’m doing it alone and don’t really have friends now because of my mental health issues. I’ll look up the Thomas recipe and hope there’s something in there that can help me. Having to constantly move my legs, get cramps and the feeling in my chest that drives me mad is just too much for me right now. I don’t think I’m getting more than half an hour of sleep right now, and i don’t want to rest during the day because that’ll make it less likely for me to sleep at night. It’s like everything is so much worse at night and I just want to bang my head against the wall so hard I pass out.

I will try to be more positive that each day that passes is a day closer to this ending. Thank you again, the replies mean so much to me

Another long sleepless night (I live in Australia). I’m trying to see that each day is another day closer, but I just want this to stop and I want to have even the slightest bit of energy again. I’ve not got any money now, but when I do I’ll be going to the chemist to get something to help