• 1 Post By Jlane26
  • 2 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
Quiting 205mg of methadone cold turkey
    Jlane26 is offline New Member

Default Quiting 205mg of methadone cold turkey

I went cold turkey off 205 mg for 11 days got back 35mg for 7 days and now im at 5 days off completly. The cold turkey withdraw off 35mg wasn't as bad as cold turkey off 205, day 4 and 5 was literal hell rls like nothing God ever intended....Im just wondering did I screw myself by getting back on 35mg for a week....in total ive been off 205 for 22 days and still uncomfortable as hell

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jlane26 View Post
    I went cold turkey off 205 mg for 11 days got back 35mg for 7 days and now im at 5 days off completly. The cold turkey withdraw off 35mg wasn't as bad as cold turkey off 205, day 4 and 5 was literal hell rls like nothing God ever intended....Im just wondering did I screw myself by getting back on 35mg for a week....in total ive been off 205 for 22 days and still uncomfortable as hell

Hello Jlane, Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you most certainly set yourself back when you took that 35mgs for 7 days. So you haven't actually been off the 205mgs of Methadone for 22 days because of the 35mgs you took for that week. I can imagine how you felt when you jumped from the 205mgs. Yikes!!! I can't believe you made it 11 days before you got back on.

My question is why did you jump from a dose so high as the 35mg? And you're now 5 days off the 35mg and I'm betting you aren't feeling so great. That's a lot of mdone to jump from. I don't know the circumstances of why you jumped, but it would have been far better to taper down as low as possible before jumping.

Can you please provide more details? We want to help and support you through this, but we need more information to give you our best advice. Thanks, and again, Welcome to you.

Randy

Well i was living in Denver, co where medicaid pays for the methadone treatment at the clinic where i was on methadone for 2 and a half years where i worked my way up to 226mg went down to 205mg for a couple months when i left denver on friday with two take homes and made it to columbia,sc on Sunday. Was in a hospital for 10 days and once i left i went to the nearest clinic and got back on methadone at 35mg for 7 days went to detox for 2 days i thought i felt ok at the on set of withdraw because it wasnt nearly as bad as the first few days of that bigger drop, still a mistake leaving detox that early. I mean im at 5 days but im trying to convince myself im feeling better already. Luckily i have trazadone so i have been sleeping, fitfully though. Im just curious how long do you think its going to last. Medicaid doesnt pay for methadone out here that is why i dropped off 35mg. Im getting more money on friday and im batteling within myself to go back on..... Every night im at the clinic in my dreams....every night. Just curious what you think.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Jlane, ughhh as I'm reading your post it brings me back. Methadone is just an awful drug whole other beast. I went the coldturkey route and it was brutal I thought I was going to die. But it's what I needed to do I'm an addict I could never taper. If you go back and taper it will not be such a shock to your system. That choice is yours. You have to be mentally prepared for this. You can also go the sub route if you have access to them. Many here have followed Roberts subtaper plan and have been successful. So moving forward the choice is yours. Read some threads here to gain more insight. I'm sure more will be by soon to support you...
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Stopplaying is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    You are a true soldier for jumping cold turkey off of 205 mgs of Methadone. I went through 21 day detox off of 80 mgs and still didn't feel right afterwards. It has a very long half life, unfortunately. If you have access to Methadone and feel stable on 35 mgs, you can taper down to get to a point where the WD symptoms are minor. The way I did my taper was through stepping down to less potent drugs and very rapidly, I am talking 11 days approximately. But to my advantage I was coming off of Hydrocodone, which is much shorter acting opioid as compared to Methadone.
    By no means I am discouraging you from doing it cold turkey though. You've shown yourself that you could do it by jumping off 205 mgs and not doing anything for over 11 days. Kudos to you for that.
    --Stopplaying

Thank you. I realize its going to be a couple months before the physical withdraws start to go away. But i dont want to taper, i just want to be off and not be so dope sick anymore. The only thing that is making want to go back to the clinic but I seriously dont want to put it back in my body, but 2 months of withdraw? Seriously? Thats unlike any drug ive ever done and detoxed from. I mean im broke so that really helps, ha ha, and i have trazadone, i just dont want to go back to it.

Thank you. I realize its going to be a couple months before the physical withdraws start to go away. But i dont want to taper, i just want to be off and not be so dope sick anymore. The only thing that is making want to go back to the clinic but I seriously dont want to put it back in my body, but 2 months of withdraw? Seriously? Thats unlike any drug ive ever done and detoxed from. I mean im broke so that really helps, ha ha, and i have trazadone, i just dont want to go back to it.

Yes, it's entirely possible it could take up to 2 months because the long half life of the Methadone has to completely dissipate from your body. You can expect to have days when symptoms aren't so bad and days when things can get rather rough. You have to hang onto those days when you basically feel ok and use every ounce of willpower and determination you have when the symptoms peak. You have to take this one day at a time, and sometimes one minute at a time.

The very best thing you can do for yourself is to stay busy. Don't sit in the house sulking, get up and get out. Do anything you can to remain busy. Jumping from a very high dose of Methadone is never recommended, but it's been done and so can you. Just have to be in a positive frame of mind as you go through this.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

I'm still not clear though on the 205mg jump for 11 days pick up 35mg for 7days, and now its been 7 days and no use (although I did get a script for valium). The withdraws feel more bearable at 7 days (even when not on valium) now then when I first when that 205mg jump. I do walk A LOT now though, ha ha.... Is this just desperate optimism? Thoughts?
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

I'm still not clear though on the 205mg jump for 11 days pick up 35mg for 7days, and now its been 7 days and no use (although I did get a script for valium). The withdraws feel more bearable at 7 days (even when not on valium) now then when I first when that 205mg jump. I do walk A LOT now though, ha ha.... Is this just desperate optimism? Thoughts?

That 35mg of Methadone is a LOT to jump from. The long half life will keep you basically feeling ok for the first possibly week before symptoms peak. Days will be up and down, symptom wise. As the Methadone slowly dissipates from your body you'll start having wd symptoms but they WILL pass given some time. Time is the best thing you have going for you. Ride it out and treat any symptoms naturally. Be very careful if you take the Valium. It's addictive and can cause you all kinds of problems. A benzo detox is much, much worse than any opaite detox.

Randy

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello J, keep moving forward...stay hydrated, get up get out stay moving. Keep your mind off all your going through..I promise you this too shall pass. Being free from those handcuffs is so worth it. Like Randy said there will be ups and downs.. ride that rollercoaster to freedom. I know you are cussing me out but keep moving this will pass the more you stimulate your body and brain the quicker we heal. Keep reading and posting we are all here to support you...
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

Howdy!

How are you feeling today? Hope all is well. You're on the road to recovery. Don't let anything stop you.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi, Jlane. I guess stabilizing at 35mg might be considered a taper of sorts, though I’d not fret it too much. You’re clean. Congrats!

That said, the actual art of living drug free is not simply getting clean. It’s a serious challenge that I found therapists and medical professionals not equipped to help well with. I think they mean well, but simply saying “change” when my momentum for years was to ignore change, and just use drugs, didn’t work well.

That said, I found help in NA. Not the 12 step aspect, immediately, but rather finding others that had been exactly where I had been. I actually stayed pretty drugged up for weeks, till I felt that nobody in meetings were going to force me to quit, or accept the whole program. It felt truly relieving not to feel pressured, but rather, invited to recover.

Still, even with support it’s a challenge. I’ve managed to avoid relapse once on my own, once “by cop” (who I think was trying to help me out), but in all honesty I simply don’t think I can stay clean without help - every time I’ve come near the option to use, my choice is to go for it. I know from experience that staying clean, at least at first, can be wicked. Try not to think of relapse as a total setback. Yeah, it’s risky as heck, but forge ahead as you can. Try to find some support. You don’t have to do it alone.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.