Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Quitting Hydro 2.0
    Stopplaying is offline Junior Member

Default Quitting Hydro 2.0

Hi ladies and gentlemen,
    This is my second time starting a thread as the first one got deleted for some reason.
    Anyways my story is as follows:
    I have been taking Hydrocodone (Norco 10/325) for about 2 years now. Started with a back surgery in 2015 and I was hooked instantly. I had H addiction for about 7 years and managed to quit in 2006 (thank God). Life was great, I finished university with engineering degree with honors, got married and have a great career, but back surgery derailed me.
    This thread is sort of a diary for myself as I want to record everything as I am going thru WD's. It's a shame that the first thread got deleted, but whatever....
    I have been taking around 15-20 pills of Norco 10/325 per day. Yes, 150-200 mgs per 24 hours and this amount of APAP was killing me and my liver. I got to a point were people were asking me if everything is ok with me the way I looked.
    First time I tried to quit around November 17th and here is how I did it with minimal withdrawal symptoms:
    Last day: took 4 pills of Norco in the morning (it's nothing compared to my 15-20 avg) and that evening went to gym.
    Day 1: Next day I took 15 pills of Loperamide, which took away most of my wd's
    Day 2-5: took 200-250 mgs of Tramadol (had some leftover from the surgery) and those took care of wds. Felt 80% good
    Day 6: 15 pills of Loperamide
    Day 7: 12 pills of Lope
    Day 8: 8 pills
    Day 9: Nothing
    Day 10-13 went camping and was only drinking and felt 80% good.
    This is somewhat approximate as I don't remember exactly how I did the days and etc (since my first diary was deleted), but it should be pretty accurate.
    I had minimal WD's thru this ordeal. That's why I wanted to post, to show people how it can be done with minimum discomfort and to give courage and hope to others. After all, we are all scared of the unknown and of the wd's... Especially if we have to maintain and go to work/school etc like I did, without letting our family and friends know what we are going thru.
    Important to note the amount of Loperamide that took care of most of my Wd's. Not 50 pills as others take, but just 15!!! You have to be patient as Lope is a very potent drug, but it takes about 3-4 hours to kick in. Do Not!!! Not!! take more than you need as it will f u up and from what I've read wd's from Lope are similar to Methadone and that is horrible. I went thru those once and would not want to repeat, ever again.

So, continuation:
    After about 6 days of all opioid related substances free, and I include Lope in that category since we all know it is an opioid, I had no wds. Well, for the most part... But, since that went sooo well for me and I received a script for 150 Norco pills I fell off the wagon.
    I threw out 100 pills! (thank you Drugs.com) and kept 50 thinking that this amount would be OK to just feel good for a few days and not have to go thru another bout of Wd's. But I was wrong. Feeling good for a few days has put me back to square one with about 80-85% withdrawal strength.(Insomnia, Hot/Cold Sweats/ RLS, Anxiety during the day, Fatigue, Body aches, Joints pain, $hits and etc)
    I have mostly repeated the same regiment as the first time, but without Tramadol. I had flushed the rest of them down the toilet (Thanks Randy 325).
    I also was able to get some Clonidine for days 5-6 and after and it is a great drug. I am about 70 hours off Lope and I feel great. Just a little tired due to Clonidine patch, but I have zero cold sweats and hot flashes, which are always present forever for me when I'm Wding.
    All I feel right now is just some fatigue due to Clonidine and maybe wds.
    So, to summarize: It can be done with MINOR wds. Don't be a >>>>> and suck it up cause one way or another some symptoms will show up. There is NO "get out of jail free card" with opiates. But it can be done almost painlessly. Of course if you are hooked to H, suboxone, methadone you are in a different boat. This thread is for those who are on Hydro, Oxy and etc.
    Thank you for reading my blabbing and hope my experience will help someone.
    --SP

asp44 is offline Member

Regarding your original thread being deleted, maybe the moderators thought or think that your suggestions of using a lot of loperamide to ease withdrawals is not a good idea? Anyway hope you have better luck this time around.

Hi asp,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am Not advocating to use a lot of Lope to quit. It's the opposite: I am trying to tell people that it is very potent and all I had to use was 15 pills which is nothing compared to 50 let's say that I've read lot's of people use.

asp44 is offline Member

I agree with you that the loperamide use was not being encouraged, nor was it being used in very large amounts, after rereading the rules about what can and cannot be posted I was thinking that maybe the mods viewed it in a different way then you or I did. Who knows?!
    Anyway congrats on making it back here. You seem pretty determined to beat this & I have no doubt that you will be successful.
    Stopplaying likes this.

Asp,
    Thank you again. Yes I am, as I am sick of this cycle. It's time to men up. I used to run marathons and box and I had to push myself constantly thru some mental "brick walls", but for some reason opiates seem to get the best of me every time.

Leah987 is offline Advanced Member

Welcome back, SP!
    Stopplaying likes this.

Thanks Leah,
    I won't be denied))
    Leah987 likes this.

OhhKay is offline New Member

You seem very motivated, SP, to do this! I think attitude has a lot to do with success and you have the right kind of mind set! You are inspiring me to aid me in my goal of becoming healthy and happy without the hydro.

I have a myriad of health issues and am a ticking time bomb. I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it is making me admit to myself what a mess I really am. I have had acute renal failure 3 years ago from the flu and dehydration and still have renal insuffiency Bc of it. And of course I am extremely over weight as well.

I started Victoza for the diabetes and also Livalo for tryglicerides and I already have such an arsenal of drugs and pills that some just have to go! Like the hydro in particular.

I started it about 7 years ago following a car accident in which I injured my ribs and lungs. The pain was intense and I really needed them then. Since then I have just continued as I have fibro and chronic back pain from facet arthropathy and I just can’t seem to get through the day without them.

I just started the diabetes drugs 2 days ago and decided that I would quit the hydro simultaneously. That worked for ZERO days. I almost got through the entire day yesterday without any at all ~ then at bedtime I was all settled in and on my CPAP to go to sleep when this intense muscle pain came over my entire body. I tried to shrug it off and tough it out but I kept growing and growing until I felt like I was in a full blown fibro attack. But I don’t think it was one.. nonetheless I felt so bad that I finally took 2 10/325’s and a 7/325 to make it stop. It eventually did but then after that I spent the night with insomnia. Only slept 2 hours from 5 to 7.

So is this withdrawing? I was pretty sure I could just stop taking them. I didn’t think I took that many each day that it should be a problem. I guess I take anywhere from 4 10/325s on a very good day to 8 or 10 on a bad day. Is that enough to make me feel WD?
    Forgive my ignorance as this is all very new to me.

...As was the diabetes dx which I guess all in all was a wake up call

~Kay

Hi Kay,
    I am sorry to hear you have many ailments and I truly hope you will feel better. Thank you for your kind words about my thread giving you hope to quit opiates. It makes me want to post more
    I agree with you 100% that attitude is very important in this battle. It's like 50% of success in my opinion. You either want out or you don't. In summary it's as simple as that.
    About withdrawals:
    The early tell tale signs for me are aches, goosebumps, hot/cold flashes (they start light, but then increase and it's like I am always freezing inside no matter what the room temperature is) and dilated pupils. It usually starts within 24-36 hours after last opiate intake for me. Please monitor yourself carefully. You mentioned facet anthropathy and I have something similar to that: bone spur in my spine that touches the nerve producing sciatica symptoms. But as of late it got better and that is why I feel like I'm ready to quit pain meds. But I believe that after prolonged use of Norcos you will have wds if you stop abruptly. But it can be done with the right attitude. I am doing it right now with minimal discomfort.
    Kay, do you feel back pain from facet anthropathy? How bad is it? Mine was treatable with ibuprofen and Aleve.

Today's update: The fatigue from Clonidine is monumental. I feel like I walk in sand. So I decided that since it's been over 3 days of last intake of Lope and the lack of wd symptoms, I am ready for a next step. I removed the Clonidine patch about 2 hours ago and I can already feel more energy. Maybe it's mental, but whatever it is I'll take it.
    Thank you all for reading.

Update: Today is day 4 since my last rapid taper Lope intake. It's been almost 24 hours since I removed the Clonidine patch and by now the medicine should be out of my system. I feel some cold sweats ad my pupils are slightly dilated. Interesting...Probably due to extremely long half life of Loperamide. But it's nothing that I cannot handle.

Quick update:
    Its 4.5 days since my last Loperamide intake and 10 days since my last Norco intake. This morning I felt like I was wding still, even though it was very mild. Right now I feel 95%. I got my appetite back. Cold sweats and hot flashes are diminished to almost zero. No RLS. Fatigue is still present. Hopefully tonight's sleep will be good.
    Cravings are present. My mind is definitely playing tricks on me. I know this is all fake, but it's hard to not think about smth especially about pills. How long until this goes away?
    I was thinking today and came to the realization that everything happened so fast. How the hell did I get here??? After being clean and sober for nine years. After dying three times and being resurrected to life by a miracle after miracle after miracle. After losing a friend to addiction and countless others that I personally knew. I still somehow ended up in this predicament. Did I have a choice? After back surgery you need some pills to get by with pain. So, in the essence it wasn't a conscious decision, but still...May be I should've sucked it up, but then again...What do you do in a situation like this? What if it happens again God forbid?
    Sorry for my rambling.
    --SP

Leah987 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by OhhKay View Post
    You seem very motivated, SP, to do this! I think attitude has a lot to do with success and you have the right kind of mind set! You are inspiring me to aid me in my goal of becoming healthy and happy without the hydro.

I have a myriad of health issues and am a ticking time bomb. I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it is making me admit to myself what a mess I really am. I have had acute renal failure 3 years ago from the flu and dehydration and still have renal insuffiency Bc of it. And of course I am extremely over weight as well.

I started Victoza for the diabetes and also Livalo for tryglicerides and I already have such an arsenal of drugs and pills that some just have to go! Like the hydro in particular.

I started it about 7 years ago following a car accident in which I injured my ribs and lungs. The pain was intense and I really needed them then. Since then I have just continued as I have fibro and chronic back pain from facet arthropathy and I just can’t seem to get through the day without them.

I just started the diabetes drugs 2 days ago and decided that I would quit the hydro simultaneously. That worked for ZERO days. I almost got through the entire day yesterday without any at all ~ then at bedtime I was all settled in and on my CPAP to go to sleep when this intense muscle pain came over my entire body. I tried to shrug it off and tough it out but I kept growing and growing until I felt like I was in a full blown fibro attack. But I don’t think it was one.. nonetheless I felt so bad that I finally took 2 10/325’s and a 7/325 to make it stop. It eventually did but then after that I spent the night with insomnia. Only slept 2 hours from 5 to 7.

So is this withdrawing? I was pretty sure I could just stop taking them. I didn’t think I took that many each day that it should be a problem. I guess I take anywhere from 4 10/325s on a very good day to 8 or 10 on a bad day. Is that enough to make me feel WD?
    Forgive my ignorance as this is all very new to me.

...As was the diabetes dx which I guess all in all was a wake up call

~Kay
    Hi, Kay....I'm no expert here, but I was on hydro for years, due to a car accident waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in my early twenties. I have had chronic neck pain and headaches since then. I'm 57 now. That's a lot of years on pain pills. Anywho....yes, I know you'd rather not hear this, but I'm sure you're addicted. I was on them a lot more years than you have been, but I don't think I ever took quite as many a day as you did. So yes, you'll withdraw. But you can do this, it's well worth it in order to get off the hydros! I've been off them 8 months now, and am doing better than I have been doing in years. I still get the neck pain and headaches, but I'm not in as much pain as when I was on the hydros....It'll be a few bad days, Kay, but you can do this!
    Stopplaying likes this.

Quick Update:
    It is almost 6.5 days since last intake of lope and 13 days since no Hydro. I still experience some coldsweats. But this is usually the longest symptom of withdrawal for me, besides insomnia and lack of motivation. The cravings are there as well. I don't want to put the clonidine patch back on and will try to ride it out with no comfort meds for the remainder of my Wds.
    I got drunk on one of the evenings and next morning was pure hell. Anxiety was thru the roof due to hangover and wd. I could barely function at work. We had two department meetings and just being among people and talking and trying to solve problems was near impossible. I could always control my anxiety during wds, but that was something else. Never doing this again!!!
    I am a student at a grad school and studying right now is dang near impossible - zero motivation. I am pushing myself though with multiple breaks. More breaks than study probably, but whatever, it's small steps in the right direction.
    --SP

Guys/Gals,
    I need some advice: I have a Pain Management Dr appointment coming up soon and this makes my cravings horrible. I have a very good relationship with a Doc, but I have to cut him off.
    Two fears: 1) What IF my sciatic nerve pain gets worse and returns?
    2) How do I stop seeing him without having to explicitly tell him that I have an opiate problem?
    Please advise people.
    Thank you in advance.
    --SP

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello SP, ahhh what If's... Cut all ties tell your doctor you are an addict. Have to change people places and things. Live in the here and now.. yesterday is gone tomorrow is not here.. don't worry if your pain comes back it might not. Just keep doing the next right thing..be well..

Here is a quick update on my situation for all who follow:
    I have been sober for about 2 weeks now. All symptoms subsided. And then, guess what, i decided to try some more controlled misery.
    I did norco 10/325 for 3 days and we will see how everything will turn out...
    I can't just tell my doctor that I am an addict. I have been building my reputation for 10 years now and "addict" stamp is not an option for me. I did about 20 pills per day - 200 mgs of hydrocodone per day for 3 days. I will keep y'all posted about how I feel and etc.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Stop! I also took opiates for a long time. I had some major surgery and got even more drugs. I struggled to stop, but it seemed like the more I tried to stop the faster I took pills. I wanted to ask my doctors for help, usually when I ran out early and felt horrible, but I’d just ride it out in silent desperation until I got more drugs. My using rapidly increased to the point I was going through 120 Percocet in a week, mixed with benzos.

Then came a day where the police found me unconscious. Narcan rescusitated me, but I spent a couple of days in the hospital. I got out, went home, and did it again, even worse. It took close to 16 hours for me to come around, even with Narcan. There was a CNA in my room. I was on suicide watch. I ended up in the psych ward, and realized my doctors had been fully informed of everything I had wanted to say but couldn’t.

I would say the story ended there, but when I finally got home again, I found I still had 40 or so Perc’s left, and 60 or so benzos, so I did it again. I have no idea why I’m not dead. I remember thinking “I’ve enough for 10 days, as prescribed. I’ll be fine”. I took one of each, then without even thinking, took 4 of each, then ate them all like Pez candies. It had become that automatic.

I had to see my doctors again, of course. The desire to say anything to get more was pretty strong, but now they knew! It actually took a couple of visits before I could really talk about it. I was embarrassed, sure, but for weeks all I thought of was how to get more drugs.

Once I came out of that haze though, I finally got scared at what had happened, at what I’d done. In the psych ward I said “If I’m around drugs I’ll use them” and that’s the simple truth.

I feel stronger now, months past that point. I might be able to resist a drug temptation for a bit on my own, but I’m pretty convinced I spoke the truth. If I’m around drugs, I will use them. So for now, I just can’t be around them.

Keep at getting and staying clean tho! I know it can be a messy undertaking, with progress like climbing a sand dune - two steps forward, sliding one step back. But there is a summit, so keep at it!
    Stopplaying likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stopplaying View Post
    Here is a quick update on my situation for all who follow:
    I have been sober for about 2 weeks now. All symptoms subsided. And then, guess what, i decided to try some more controlled misery.
    I did norco 10/325 for 3 days and we will see how everything will turn out...
    I can't just tell my doctor that I am an addict. I have been building my reputation for 10 years now and "addict" stamp is not an option for me. I did about 20 pills per day - 200 mgs of hydrocodone per day for 3 days. I will keep y'all posted about how I feel and etc.

Here' the plain and simple truth....If you don't cut off every possible way of obtaining drugs you will continue to be on the hampster wheel just as you are now. Informing your doctor you have a problem says you're serious about quitting. You have to get serious about this of you really and truly want to quit. Until your doctor knows what you're doing you have little chance of success.

All the best and Happy Holidays.

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare and Stopplaying like this.

Hi Randy,
    Sorry, I am just now getting back to you. But it was very hectic with all the holidays.
    You are absolutely correct, but I just don't have enough guts to admit to my doctor that I have a problem.
    What I did was I had told him that I am transferring networks and that I won't be able to see him anymore. I didn't even make a next appointment with him. So hopefully that's it.
    Update on my situation:
    I feel fine for the most part. I use lope here and there for the mental aspect only, as some days are just blah. I have to push myself to do homework and go to classes after work and it's just rough. No motivation...But I do get these short lived glimpses of a mental well being and just being at peace. I can't wait to get back to my normal self.
    Next step is to get back to gym regularly, but I'm still weak physically as well.
    --SP

Gents and lads,
    I'm still here, but I don't like the place that I'm in right now.
    I'm off hydro, but I drink every day. It's crazy as everyday i get off work and plan to go to the gym and every day I find some excuse to do something else, at home, and I go to the liquor store and get some wine and whatever, and I don't do $hit, besides getting $hitfaced.
    It has to stop, but it seem like I traded one addiction for the the other.
    Need advice as to how to beat the Beast?
    I'm tired of waking up with a hangover and dragging my >>>> to work...
    --SP

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Ohhhh SP, you have to really want this for yourself my friend. For this Addict I was done I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Yes trading one Drug for the other, Addiction is a Diease... Like Randy said continuous ride on that hampster wheel...we have to do something different, we as addicts want instant gratification, we want more of everything. You have to cut off all mind mood altering chemicals to begin a new way of Life. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Na,Aa, Counseling thearpy any face to face support will help give you the tools to deal with all your going through.
    How to beat the beast.. acceptance...we are addicts with a Diease.
    We are all here to support you...
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-12-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    Stopplaying likes this.

Hi Lvg,
    Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not posting in a while.
    This is where I am at today:
    I relapsed of course, and was getting high on Hydros 10/325 again.
    I was also drinking like there is no tomorrow and that led me to using opiates again as I didn't like where I was.
    Today, however, I feel like I am done. I am beat down from WD's every two weeks and I am angry. Angry at myself, at opioid pills and my Dr. for prescribing this $hit.
    I am day 3 yet again. I think that today, I am ready. I want to quit bad. Quit for good, or at least quit today. I have everything going in life: like career, loving wife and family, grad school and prospects of making more $$$ after graduation, but yet I am stuck in this opiate affair. Why??? Go figure. The back pain is manageable with other non-opioid substances. So what's left? It's me chasing the dragon. I'm not gonna lie, opiates make me feel like I'm unstoppable. I can do anything and feel like I enjoy doing it. But that's not what life is about. Negative emotions and sadness are the same part of life as feeling happy and ecstatic over smth. Anyways, enough of my blabbing. This forum has been truly valuable. I can speak my mind...
    Thanks,
    --SP
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stopplaying View Post
    Hi Lvg,
    Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not posting in a while.
    This is where I am at today:
    I relapsed of course, and was getting high on Hydros 10/325 again.
    I was also drinking like there is no tomorrow and that led me to using opiates again as I didn't like where I was.
    Today, however, I feel like I am done. I am beat down from WD's every two weeks and I am angry. Angry at myself, at opioid pills and my Dr. for prescribing this $hit.
    I am day 3 yet again. I think that today, I am ready. I want to quit bad. Quit for good, or at least quit today. I have everything going in life: like career, loving wife and family, grad school and prospects of making more $$$ after graduation, but yet I am stuck in this opiate affair. Why??? Go figure. The back pain is manageable with other non-opioid substances. So what's left? It's me chasing the dragon. I'm not gonna lie, opiates make me feel like I'm unstoppable. I can do anything and feel like I enjoy doing it. But that's not what life is about. Negative emotions and sadness are the same part of life as feeling happy and ecstatic over smth. Anyways, enough of my blabbing. This forum has been truly valuable. I can speak my mind...
    Thanks,
    --SP

Sorry to hear you went back at it. But you admitted it and that deserves some congrats, and my respect. Get right back at it and hopefully this will be the last time you're back to day 1. You know what you have to do. You have to get serious if you want success. That means informing your doctor that you have a problem with narcotics and to never prescribe them to you again. If you have refills available at the pharmacy you should call and cancel those immediately. You have to cut out all methods of obtaining pills if you really and truly want this for yourself.

Can't do this alone either. You need someone to hold you accountable. Are you going or will you consider NA/AA meetings? The face to face support of other addicts will help you through this because they know what you're dealing with. I wouldn't be where I am now without those meetings.

You have a great life ahead of you. As you said, wife, home, and grad school are all wonderful, but believe me they can all be gone in a minute. I hope you never hit rock bottom like I did. I had it all...awesome job, nice car, home I was. buying, many friends, had a fiancé and was preparing to be married, and the greatest family ever. Poof, all gone because I loved the drugs more than any of it. I was on a roll for nearly 18 years before I wised up and changed my life.

Do this NOW....Do this for YOU!

Randy

Man Randy,
    Thanks for your kind words. I am ready...So I think. The most important is I am angry at this situation. I am feeding off that. If pills addiction was a person, I would knock their brains in. Thats how I feel right now and to be quite honest - I am happy I feel that way as it gives me strength to fight back.
    I cut my Dr off and I don't have any means of getting pills, at least legal means. Im in Chicago - the >>>>>> capital, but I remember how my life was when was out there, on the streets and there is no way I wanna go back to that. Jails, institutions, boot camp, rehabs and etc. I think one of my problems was that I underestimated Hydrocodone. I thought its a pu$$y drug, especially after H. But this bravado didn't last long as I was humbled by Hydro. Opiate is an Opiate. I >>>>ing hate it. Yes, that's how I feel. Thanks again as you have helped tremendously.
    Im ready to fight this as I am so sick mentally, probably more than I am sick from opiates.
    I will post later.
    Thanks,
    --SP

I have noticed that muzac is my cure. I can listen to it for hours and get carried away and "not notice " withdrawals. My problem is that I have to maintain among my family and I just can't sit and listen to my Trance blasting. What a shame, but then again, I appreciate my peeps. Love them actually...

>>>>, i am already down, but now my wife's mom has passed away. It's my turn to cheer her up. I know I have to, but its soo damn hard while you going thru opiate withdrawal. But then again, everything happens for a reason, and may be this is my ticket out: caring for the loved ones; may be my sickness will be easier if I am trying to cheer the love of my life. God works in mysterious ways...
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Here is where I am at: It feels good to get out of yourself and help others...It definitely gave me strength. I am going thru withdrawal and at the same time while I am feeling $hitty, I am feeling good and energized. I am providing mental support to a sober person/persons while I am super depressed myself. The irony is that it's helping!!!! Go figure...
    We were remembering the person who passed away today, as it's supposed to be in Russian tradition, and I felt at peace. Life goes on and it's worth to keep going and be successful. It was a glimpse of...life w/o pills. I felt contested at where I am at. I was present in the NOW, not tomorrow or yesterday. Its hard to explain as one has to experience the feeling...Anyways, I am still going strong and moving forward and that what matters...

Finishing day 5. Bring on day 6. Trying to psyche myself up. It comes in waves: one minute I'm feeling ok and the next I wanna shoot myself. However, the better portions of the day starting to outlast the $hitty ones.
    It's sunny outside and it's like 45 degrees. I'm gonna make myself go for a walk, get some vitamin D and get my mind together.
    --SP

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Stop, finally got caught up with your thread! I get it about how helping others can help us. I know for me, being of service and doing what I can to help out has done amazing things for my recovery. I know you've had some struggles on your journey, but sounds like your head is in the right place so now can just concentrate on continuing to move forward. Keep up the great work!!
    Stopplaying likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast