Quitting narcotics, methadone question
    Hopefulfor4 is offline New Member

Default Quitting narcotics, methadone question

Hi all,
    I am 28 years old and have been on narcotics for pain issues off and on for years. I have mostly been on Norco 10's. Last week my doctor decided to up my dosage of pain meds and on top of my regular Norco, he prescribed me Methadone 10mg and Oxycodone 15 mg. I have taken the Methadone maybe once or twice a day for the past 10 days, only ranging from 2.5 mg to 5 mg at a time mostly. After reading about how hard it can be to come off of Methadone I have decided I don't want to take this (on top of it making me nauseated). My question is that since I have been taking small dosages and only for 10 days, will I have any withdrawal from this?
    I have also decided that I am ready to try and stop taking all narcotics. I don't think it is going to be easy, and frankly it scares me to try and stop all narcotics but I think it is time. I don't want to be dependent on these forever and I have a family who needs me and little children who I want to be able to look up to me and follow in my example. I have heard of the Thomas recipe and will use this. I will admit I have been through detox before as I have been taking narcotics for years and have ran out early in the past. I am just a little extra freaked out to be stopping the methadone, having never taken it before and not knowing how it will affect me. Also I have been dealing with sweats for the past couple of days and I am wondering if this has to do with the methadone also?

Anyone? Could really use some input please

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Seems very strange that your doctor would prescribe Methadone along with those other drugs. Methadone is mainly used for people who are H addicts; sometimes even for hardcore pill addicts. But to take it along with Norco and Oxy is just weird and counterproductive.

Stopping the Methadone is a very good idea. Trust me, you want no part of that nasty drug. You shouldn't experience any issues stopping since you took such small doses for a very short time.

If you decide to quit the other meds cold turkey, we'll be here to help and support.
    Kat

Thank you for your reply, I really hope that is the case. I have been reading about how hard it is to come off of Methadone and I am terrified. I have a hard enough time as it is when I come off of the hydrocodone and dealing with those withdrawals. I was thinking about it and it probably was less than 10 days that I took it, maybe closer to 7 days. It was prescribed for 10mg 3x a day but I did not take it in that high of doses. My doctor even said that the pharmacist will probably look at me like I was an H addict. It made me sick starting it right away so I called the doctor back and that is when they wrote a script for the Oxy 15s. Sorry for the confusion on that. Then he still prescribes Norco for breakthrough pain. This doctor is not afraid of prescribing narcotics. After trying the methadone right away, it made me sick and I stopped but I did start taking it when I got the Oxy again because I am an addict and gave in. Now that I have read about it, I really am terrified. I hope I don't experience any withdrawal from the methadone, it sounds terrifying. If anyone else has any input on the methadone and whether or not I should experience withdrawal from it, I would love the input. I have finished off the Oxy yesterday, only had a small amount left, and today is the first day of no drugs. I have been experiencing hot flashes and anxiety and no appetite so far. Hoping this is just from the oxy withdrawal. I really, really want to stop taking narcotics. Every time I try to quit, the depression and anxiety are too much and I end up going back. I am so sick of this cycle. I would really love some advice and input from those who have made it though this.