Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Stuck at .5 mg sub taper.
    MrMeeps11 is offline Junior Member

Default Stuck at .5 mg sub taper.

I started taking sub 4 months ago to kick a year long opiate addiction. My doc started me at 6mg a day, but I read a lot and quickly realized that I did not want to take that much. So I started taking only 1 2mg strip a day but was convinced by my doc that I needed this for the rest of my life. I disagreed with her so she kicked me out of her sub program. But I had already saved a lot of medication. At .5mg a day I have enough to last a year, but I want to quit but can't seem to go below .5, I have to work and can't be so sick that I can't work. Any help please. Can I do this with out missing work? Someone, anyone, got advice?

Also I have gabapentine, she gave me a lot of that to, but I'm afraid to use it because I don't want to withdraw from that either.

Kungfukenny is offline Junior Member

Never used it, but I feel the gaba is highly recommended. I would wait until you're a bit lower to add more to the mix though.

I was stuck at .5mg for a long time myself. I'm on my last 3 days of .125 before I'm going to start skipping. All I can really give for advice is I put myself in the position to have to accept taking less than .5mg. I started reducing 25% as per the taper guidelines once under 2 or 1mg. I would take it in the morning, leave my suboxone at home and go to work. Once I got working I realized a lot of it was in my head. Moving around and working during the day side tracked me from any negative side effects of a taper so small.

Have you tried reducing yet to see how it goes? Or are you just waiting? I waited a looong time on
    5 convinced this was going to be 100x worse.

Best of luck.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrMeeps11 View Post
    I started taking sub 4 months ago to kick a year long opiate addiction.
    What kind and how much opiates, other than sub, were you taking for that year?

Sounds like you need to do the taper method. You'll need some cuticle clippers and tweezers.

Started with 5mg hydro but was snorting about 80mg of oxy at the end just to feel normal

I already cut my 2mg strips, but I think I feel sick all the time, I say think because I feel like its all in my head, and I read a lot of horror stories

Anonymous Guest

I think you've done an amazing job getting down to .5. Why fret? Take your time as you're only four months in, you've got plenty supply, and then cut it down when you're mentally ready but soon? Make them a smidge smaller and smaller every couple of days?

I stopped <2mg after a year. It's been a month and I'm feeling better. First week sweaty, craving, etc., week 2-3 lousy sleep RLS, week 4 feeling so much better. That was at 2 mg! You got this.

Can I ask why you were taking opiates? Pain, depression, recreation?

Took them on and off for about 10 years to get high, then in Jan of 2017 got 2 herniated disks in my lower back and was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia, so my doc started writing me my own scripts for the first time ever and I was off to the races, went nuts with all the pills I could eat then.

I really knew it was time to quit when my doc, told me that I needed subs for the rest of my life because I was an addict.

Anonymous Guest

Presuming you are over the pills well and truly. Sounds like you are. So, I have a suggestion for you. I'll let you google it and research it yourself. If you have questions after that, I'll try to help. Maybe you have heard of it already?

Google: "LDN and fibromyalgia" and read, read, read. It also helps with PAWS as it resets your receptors so this is two fold for you. It raises endorphins and gives many people energy.

There is also DLPA which I've heard good things about. I'm researching this more myself. LDN I already know about.

You do not take LDN with sub in you system btw. Very important! LDN is a possibility for life after sub especially if you have fibromyalgia!

Ok thanks, feels better just finally talking about it, I've been reading here for months now. Just finally felt so overwhelmed that I needed to just blurt out my story.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey mrmeeps. Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on tapering to .5mg that's quite a feat in itself. Have you seen the sub taper plan. It's located in the suboxone treatment sub-forum. First thread marked "sticky". It calls for 25% reductions every 4-7 days once you're stable. It has helped literally thousands of people get clean from the subs. Right now you're at .5mg next step would be to reduce to .375 mg stay there for 4-7 days then go to .25mg and stay there for 4-7 days. Then you can either choose to work in the skipping days, or continue tapering further. Skipping days work like this. You dose then skip a day. Dose then skip 2 days. Dose then skip 3 days. Dose once more then you're done. This process allows the long half life of the subs to "catch up" and slowly dissipate in your body making for a softer landing.

I'm not exactly sure what LDN is, but 1232 mentioned DLPA, it's an amazing amino acid that has helped me tremendously through my sub detox and beyond. I still take it today. Great stuff.

You can do this. I can promise that living clean is so much better than I could have ever hoped for!!!

Keep posting and let us know your progress.

Congratulations again and welcome!!!
    Beef

Quote Originally Posted by 1232 View Post
    Presuming you are over the pills well and truly. Sounds like you are. So, I have a suggestion for you. I'll let you google it and research it yourself. If you have questions after that, I'll try to help. Maybe you have heard of it already?

Google: "LDN and fibromyalgia" and read, read, read. It also helps with PAWS as it resets your receptors so this is two fold for you. It raises endorphins and gives many people energy.

There is also DLPA which I've heard good things about. I'm researching this more myself. LDN I already know about.

You do not take LDN with sub in you system btw. Very important! LDN is a possibility for life after sub especially if you have fibromyalgia!
    Just looked up LDN and fibromyalgia. Pretty interesting stuff. Never heard of that before.

Anonymous Guest

Well I just wrote a lengthy and thoughtful post and it went to moderation. Wonder why?

It happened to .me yesterday. And I've heard other members have had it happen. Very frustrating. I'd say you can kiss that post goodbye unfortunately. No rhyme or reason to it. Just gotta try again.

Ok I will look into that, Getting up now. One of my problems is I wake up in a panick. Gonna cut some more off

I just ordered some DLPA, I had read about it, just was not sure if it would really help

Well I cut my strip smaller and started the gabapentine, got DLPA on the way. Gonna give the gabapentine a few days to build up then I'm going to try skipping a day. So far only mild WDs

MamaByrd is offline New Member

Im sorry I dont know anything about sub or methadone or any of that. I just wanted to say that I cant believe she actually told you you would be on it for the rest of your life! I thought those was used to get off of things. If I am wrong someone please correct me because as I said I know nothing of this. My personal opinion/advice would be to see if you can take a few days off of work and flush your strips down the toilet. Get the withdrawals done and over with. Then you will have your life back without the need of waking up everyday thinking you need them. I am now officially day 5 cold turkey and I am happy I did it this way. Im lucky I havent had it as bad as last time I withdrawal but I promise it will be the last time I do it. I have issues sleeping but then again I am stuck on this forum just looking for answers and trying to help others as best as I can. I became a member today and I can honestly say it truly has helped me. Everyone here is encouraging and they do not judge and wish you the best in your path of success just as I do. Just remember it doesnt last forever. Best of luck to you. Sorry I dont have any advice yo are looking for but I was just wanting to wish you well.
    I can do anything when it comes to my kids

I'm tapering down to .25 then I'm going to stop. I hope at that point I won't be to sick

Quote Originally Posted by MamaByrd View Post
    Im sorry I dont know anything about sub or methadone or any of that. I just wanted to say that I cant believe she actually told you you would be on it for the rest of your life! I thought those was used to get off of things. If I am wrong someone please correct me because as I said I know nothing of this. My personal opinion/advice would be to see if you can take a few days off of work and flush your strips down the toilet. Get the withdrawals done and over with. Then you will have your life back without the need of waking up everyday thinking you need them. I am now officially day 5 cold turkey and I am happy I did it this way. Im lucky I havent had it as bad as last time I withdrawal but I promise it will be the last time I do it. I have issues sleeping but then again I am stuck on this forum just looking for answers and trying to help others as best as I can. I became a member today and I can honestly say it truly has helped me. Everyone here is encouraging and they do not judge and wish you the best in your path of success just as I do. Just remember it doesnt last forever. Best of luck to you. Sorry I dont have any advice yo are looking for but I was just wanting to wish you well.
    My doctor actually said he feels suboxone is a case by case person drug. He says he has some patients he knows will go back to their DOC if he takes them off it. I have known my doctor for all of my addiction years and all my suboxone years, so him and I are close. I personally think some people who can't come to terms with their addiction should be on very long term low dose suboxone as well, but mrmeeps does not seem to be one of those people.

I'm getting ready to stop. I was thinking of trying CBD oil

I haven't tried the cbd oil. Some people say it helps. Others I've heard say it doesn't do anything. During my jump the biggest things that helped me were a good amino acid (I took DLPA, but there's l-tyrosine, and l-theanine also) Imodium (liquid form as directed) a good multivitamin, b-12, b-complex, calcium, magnesium, zinc (they sell all 3 in one vitamin, ask for calmagzinc) bananas (I ate 2 a day) and a healthy protein rich diet.

And stay as active as possible to get the endorphins moving. And hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!

Let us know how it goes.
    Do you plan on doing the skip days?
    Have a great day!
    Beef

Ok thanks, I got plenty of those same strips, so I will take it slower. I also started taking 1000mg of DLPA 3 x a day with 300mg of gabapentine and a little cbd. I took my first doses of all 3 yesterday morning and today is the first time I woke up without panicking and needing my sub. So I hope this goes well. I'm tired
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

davepeerson is offline Platinum Member

Nice work Meeps....If you need to stay on just a crumb a few extra days when your WAY down to the end....like hopefully less than .125mg....then don't feel bad about that....also skipping a day in the beginning helps Very Much...." In My Opinion"!! Looks like you're just about there!! Congrats man....and to those docs who say you can or you need to stay on this for life.....well....Once again...'in My opinion' ...they should at the very least...loose their license!! Stay Strong Just For Today!!...Ps....Being tired is one thing that hangs around for awhile....you gotta force yourself to keep moving...take walks...hikes....whatever works best for You!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-10-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Yea my doc was a quack, got mad at me because I wanted to come to her office once a month instead of every 2 weeks, $200 dollars every 2 weeks because she refused to write a 30 day script. Lucky for me I found this forum right off and new better than to take it like she persribed. So I got a lot of 2mg strips saved up. She over prescribed me so much I got enough to last a year at .5mg lol she was a quack!
    davepeerson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMeeps11 View Post
    Yea my doc was a quack, got mad at me because I wanted to come to her office once a month instead of every 2 weeks, $200 dollars every 2 weeks because she refused to write a 30 day script. Lucky for me I found this forum right off and new better than to take it like she persribed. So I got a lot of 2mg strips saved up. She over prescribed me so much I got enough to last a year at .5mg lol she was a quack!
    Wow. I was blessed. My sub doctor literally reduced his price to 80 a visit because he didn't take my insurance and on top of that looked up the longest he could go without seeing me legally and booked my appointments 59 days apart. Only thing I had to do was keep him up to date on the true amount of meds I had left...pretty damn fair deal.

I'm starting .375 now for a week, also taking 1500mg of DLP 3 x aday

Day 2 .375, decided to not take the gabapentine. Will see if I need it later.

Congrats man, keep at it. You'll get there.

My reductions were by 50% but we're harder days than my complete jump off at .125

Keep us updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast