Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
Tapering off Norco and need support once again! Please!
    Needoutnow is offline Member

Default Tapering off Norco and need support once again! Please!

So, I went through oxy tapering and Ct almost a year ago. About a month after I was completely off the oxy I was put on Norco for my uc. I was hesitant and I should have refused it. Now I am prescribed four 7.5 a day and had been running out of it early. I would say I was taking 6 or max 7 a day. Now I want to get off of this. I have had more issues getting this filled than I ever had with the oxy 30mg twice a day. I'm sick of feeling this way yet again. Also, I got pregnant in July and mc and had to have a DnC the beginning of this month. I had no idea I was pregnant until Aug 24th and I feel guilty for the meds. I didn't even think I could get pregnant again. Well here's the thing. That made me decide I want to get off the Norco and try to have another one. I know I sound crazy but I just want to try. I feel so stupid for falling into this trap again. So I have cut down starting today to 4 7.5 mg a day. Idk if I will balance out on this after a few days and then if I should taper down to 3.5 of the 7.5 mg a day. I'm a strong person when I set my mind to it. I tapered down the oxy way down before I quit and other than the sweats and tummy junk plus a lot of anxiety I was fine. I'm just looking for support and any suggestions for helping to ease wd. I am on the prenatal vitamins again with folic acid, zinc, and coq10. I am hoping this will help because I am with the love of my life now and I have not let anyone know about this. After what I went through with the oxy, I am too ashamed to tell anyone. I would appreciate support. Having this unexpected pregnancy and then a mc has been a rough time already. Any advice?
    Catrina and DravenDomnq like this.

Anonymous Guest

Hi. I am not 100% sure of this. But I believe Imodium is safe for pregnant women. The reason I say this is - Imodium is technically an opiate, that does not cross the blood-brain barrier. If it did? It would be as strong as fentanyl. I digress, Imodium hits on the opiate receptors you have in your stomach - this produces the SAME constipating effect other opiates are known for. Why am I saying this? Imodium has been known on a cult-level, of HELPING ease withdrawal symptoms in those - that do not have meds to taper and/or go CT. This may be your best bet - given your circumstance. I would take 4 Imodium 2mg tabs about 6-8 hrs before your last dose of Norco - as it needs time to work. If you take this Imodium for about 3/4 days? Along with plenty of water, and vitamins? You will be surprised at the results. Btw. Imodium is LOPERAMIDE. dollar stores carry the generic. It is WAY CHEAPER. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you painplan. Yea I had been taking Imodium the entire time as I didn't know I was pregnant until right before miscarriage. I stopped taking it because I have just had in my head that I need to be off of everything if I want to try to get pregnant again. I guess I will start taking it now and prepare. Even though I have cut down to 4 Norco a day, this morning I have been to the restroom a lot. I will start taking those again along with the vitamins I have been taking a hope this all helps minimize wd. I appreciate your response. I truly didn't even think that this would happen again. I'm so upset with myself for taking anything again. I'm determined to get off of this now that I know I can still get pregnant. Although, that wasn't planned we got very excited when we found out and then it has been rough since the mc. Thank you for your advice.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Needoutnow View Post
    So, I went through oxy tapering and Ct almost a year ago. About a month after I was completely off the oxy I was put on Norco for my uc. I was hesitant and I should have refused it. Now I am prescribed four 7.5 a day and had been running out of it early. I would say I was taking 6 or max 7 a day. Now I want to get off of this. I have had more issues getting this filled than I ever had with the oxy 30mg twice a day. I'm sick of feeling this way yet again. Also, I got pregnant in July and mc and had to have a DnC the beginning of this month. I had no idea I was pregnant until Aug 24th and I feel guilty for the meds. I didn't even think I could get pregnant again. Well here's the thing. That made me decide I want to get off the Norco and try to have another one. I know I sound crazy but I just want to try. I feel so stupid for falling into this trap again. So I have cut down starting today to 4 7.5 mg a day. Idk if I will balance out on this after a few days and then if I should taper down to 3.5 of the 7.5 mg a day. I'm a strong person when I set my mind to it. I tapered down the oxy way down before I quit and other than the sweats and tummy junk plus a lot of anxiety I was fine. I'm just looking for support and any suggestions for helping to ease wd. I am on the prenatal vitamins again with folic acid, zinc, and coq10. I am hoping this will help because I am with the love of my life now and I have not let anyone know about this. After what I went through with the oxy, I am too ashamed to tell anyone. I would appreciate support. Having this unexpected pregnancy and then a mc has been a rough time already. Any advice?
    Welcome back. I'm sorry for the reason that has brought you back but I'm glad that you came back. I give you much credit for being able to taper but it did it last time so there's no reason why you can't do that again and you already know the drill. Your plan sounds like a good place to start. You can reduce by whatever amount you feel the most comfortable with and then just stay there for a number of days so that your body can adjust to the new lower dose and then do it all over again.

Stay busy to help to keep you to resist watching the clock. I would do my best to get through the day with the lower dose and be sure that I had a dose in the evening so that my sleep would have the least interruption. That is usually the most difficult dose to reduce and certainly to eliminate but it will have to be done at some point.so it may be a good idea to reduce that evening dose by even just a small amount. I would also schedule your doses so that if you are allowing yourself four doses a day, spread them out evenly. I would always try to tell myself that I'd wait until I absolutely had to take something because my symptoms were getting bad but at least for me what would happen is that I'd talk myself right into taking something even though I didn't feel that bad telling myself that I'd make up for it later. Never happened and I'd be right back where I started before I really began. Mental games. Terrible.

The vitamins you're taking hopefully will help and you know the rest. Exercise, plenty of water, eat healthy, hot baths. Keep posting. Did you ever try a meeting? Please at least consider one. It's time to try something different this time so that you won't keep falling back into the trap. I always thought that the detox part of recovery was the hard part and that once I got through that it would be cakewalk. SOOO not true. Long term sobriety takes work and I know how we all hate to hear that but it's the truth. Once you accept your recovery as a part of changing your life style, it becomes easier but we've got to take the steps to get there.

Peace,

Cat
    davepeerson likes this.

Thank you so much for your response Cat. Yea you said it best. I have been down this road before. Do you think the Norco wd will be as bad as the oxy wd was? I'm just curious about your input on that. I can't help but feel guilt that taking this med may have made me lose the baby. No way to know. If you remember last November I was told I was going through peri menopause. Remember the horrible sweats I was telling you about? Well, let's just say apparently that Dr was WRONG. If I had know I could get pg I would have surly prevented it. Now that we had this experience I would love to see if we can have a lo. My age is against me though. I praying that we get the opportunity and for that I need to get off these meds. So, not only do I want off for myself. I want off for future possibilities. I definitely didn't think I ever needed a meeting being that I was prescribed everything for uc but now I will be looking for one in my area. Before the whole oxy thing happened I had been on Norco for years and if I didn't take one I don't remember feeling anything. Maybe I did feel wd and just didn't know until I looked up everything getting off the oxy. Idk. I'm scared again. I just know that I have to do this for myself. I don't want to live my life by the pill at all.
    davepeerson likes this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Ohh Needoutnow, I'm also sorry to hear all you have and are going through. Cat said it perfectly,and am also glad your back. I know how strong you are you got this. Always here to support you my friend.. Stay Strong for Today..
    davepeerson likes this.

Lvg thank you so much. Not what I wanted to be going through at all. I hate that I got back on pills. I now can just work through getting off of them. I want this bad but I am hoping that a slow taper will reduce the shock of Ct. I'm hoping to make the anxiety less this time. I already have anxiety so just don't want it to go so strong this time. I don't take the Norco at night. The latest I normally take it is between 4 or 5 pm. I'm going to cut that later dosage down to half probably this evening. I'm off work recovering from everything but I already feel so rough that I don't think Ct would be best this time. I'm trying to get back on my feet and my abdomen is bothering me off and on throughout the day. I'm so thankful for dear friends like you. You and Cat huge hugs. How are you doing?

Hey, in doing good I'll catch up with you later on tonight I just wanted to say I'm here for you. And yes you already know slow and steady wins the race ha lol. Will check in with you later my friend... Stay Strong for Today...
    davepeerson likes this.

Lvg it's so nice to see my buddies still here and doing well. I'm ashamed that I fell in this hole again. I was doing so well. We just found out his daughter is pregnant again so we would have been pregnant at the same time. That kinda hits hard. If I had known it was possible not only would I have never touched the pills I would have quit smoking too. Looks like I am going to be doing all this at one time. I think I am about to be offered a much less stressful job though with my company. That would be a good change. I wish I had not had a mc and I do blame myself although the dr said that it wasn't any of that. I can't help but wonder. Plus his ex is giving us a lot of stress which makes no sense. Not even the ex that he had kids with. She didn't know I was pg or mc but I am trying hard to bite my tongue and let things roll off. I have had a ton of stress and I think that's where my problem fell. Oh well, I have another way to have to deal with things now. She's trying to run me off although they ended years ago. I could write a book. Thank you everyone for your support although I don't deserve it.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey Needoutnow, Don't beat yourself up. Your back and trying to get clean again.. You should be Proud of Yourself, many never get that chance to come back. So your plan sounds good yes the less stress the better. This time will probably be easier but no pinic for sure. Comfort meds plenty of fluids keep yourself busy yup you know the drill.. kepp me posted..hear to support you.. Stay Strong for Today..

Hey what's up.. how are things going.. keep posting.. Stay Strong for Today..

asp44 is offline Member

Needoutnow, first of all dont ever be ashamed. You came back here for help and support to get back to where you want too be. Tapering off of oxy shows you have incredible strength & willpower! Now lets get you off those hydrocodone so you can can bring that baby unto this world that you so rightly deserve. You have all the tools you need and we all have your back. Like you i quit oxy in may for a month (150-200mg) c/t. I will be starting my day 5 soon of stopping them again. So you are not alone in your struggle & you never will be. U HAVE US TO HELP U. Let us know how ur doing.

Ugh this is rough. Honestly I have to say I went from taking about 8 a day immediately down to 6 and then 4.5 and then 3.5. Today I have taken 1 so far. I really could use some mental encouragement. When I go for 12 hours without taking them then my stomach starts spasms and my anxiety gets really rough. I feel like I have little muscle spasms in my arms and legs. My hands are shaky nowas I took the 1 at 7:30 am. Thinking maybe try to do 2 a day for a few days if I can manage that it would be great. I’m really trying to get off of these things. I feel like they make me numb and I don’t listen to what people are saying. I hate that. The only reason I am doing the taper is because I can’t take more time off and I don’t want my family to know about all this. I’m at home today so if anyone has any advice please share.
    Catrina and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Hello Needoutnow, glad your back.. yes it's rough. I think you know the drill this time I think just CT ya know. It's Mentally going to be tough but I know this about you, you are a strong woman and you can do this. Keep yourself busy don't dwell on it all. You know from experience it's going to take a few days to get over the initial wd's. Don't get anxious or have a panic attack you know what to expect. I believe in you believe in yourself to. Let's flush what you have move on to a healthy you. Keep posting we are all here to support you my friend.. Stay Strong for Today..
    Catrina likes this.

Awe lvg so nice to see your reply. I’m just so afraid of ct. I waited five hours and did another.5 of the 7.5 mg Norco. I’m going to try not to take any more of it today if I can get through it. I have been really lazy today and my hands are really shaky. Oh how I wish I had just stayed off of pain meds after I got off the oxy. Stupid mistake thinking that they never bothered me before taking the oxy. I’m just hoping that tapering way down will make the final cut a little more bearable. I hate that I got myself into this again.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Ugh this is rough. Honestly I have to say I went from taking about 8 a day immediately down to 6 and then 4.5 and then 3.5. Today I have taken 1 so far. I really could use some mental encouragement. When I go for 12 hours without taking them then my stomach starts spasms and my anxiety gets really rough. I feel like I have little muscle spasms in my arms and legs. My hands are shaky nowas I took the 1 at 7:30 am. Thinking maybe try to do 2 a day for a few days if I can manage that it would be great. I’m really trying to get off of these things. I feel like they make me numb and I don’t listen to what people are saying. I hate that. The only reason I am doing the taper is because I can’t take more time off and I don’t want my family to know about all this. I’m at home today so if anyone has any advice please share.
    Hi Needout,

I too am glad that you're back. Not for the reasons but I'm glad you're back and proud of you for doing your best to get back on track and coming here to get some support. So important!!

I will second Lvg's suggestion. It sounds like you're having a rough time anyway so maybe just bite the bullet? Here's what I'd do. Do what you have to do to get through this week and then take your final dose on Thursday night. Friday can be your Day 1 of a cold turkey. My experience has always been that so long as you don't let your head get in the way, I bet with some effort you could get through Friday and still go to work. That will keep you busy and you'll have your last Day 1 in the books. Then, you'll have Saturday and Sunday that you can have the "flu" and on Monday, Day 4 depending upon how you're feeling, you can try to work and that will make the time pass more quickly and hopefully help to take your mind off of things. If you're not up to it, oh well sometimes that dang flu hangs on for several days. Call out and I'm betting that by Tuesday morning the worst of the worst will be all but over. Tired? Yep. Just like you're getting over the flu--what a coincidence! Anyway, that's what I would do.

We all know how hard it is to taper (impossible for me!) and in order to get around the worst of the symptoms, it has to be done painfully slow. Doing it quickly just puts you into some state of withdrawal the entire time. Going cold turkey, I don't think, will leave you feeling much worse than you already do.

This is entirely up to you of course. It's our job to cheer you on and come up with suggestions. Keep posting to let us know how you're doing and we'll be here to help if we can.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Thank you Cat. It’s so good to hear from you and lvg. What scares me is my man doesn’t know about this and now that he lives with me I don’t want to run him off. So I am trying to make the wd less if possible. I have a dr appointment tomorrow and I plan to ask him about clonodine for the beginning. He wouldn’t give it to me last time so I doubt he will this time either. I’m trying to minimize some of the severe anxiety I experience when I go without it. I’m talking about if I over sleep in the morning past when I would normally take it. My stomach starts getting knots and then the anxiety and shakes come on full force. I’m trying my best. I’m strong and I know I can do this. I really just don’t want him to see it really severe if possible.

Hello Needoutnow, I agree yet again with all Cat said. Yup don't prolong this it will be over in no time. prolly only a few bad days but you can do this. Anxiety shakes stomach issues all normal part of the process. We are all here to support you..Stay Strong for Today.

Lvg and Cat at this moment I have been 17 hours since I last took Norco. Had stomach issues which is the norm but I took the Imodium and it seems to have eased up. I slept last night but that’s because I am still on Xanax. I have gotten it down to .75 mg a day over the course of the months. I’m trying to not take the Norco at all. I’m hoping that it won’t be horrible.

Hello Needoutnow, well I think you should just CT just my two cents. It's not going to be any more awful than your feeling now. You are just prolonging the process I get it your scared...what scared of that little pill..flush them all have your funeral and be done with it.. good job on getting down on the Xanax..I know you cannot CT Xanax..but you can get with your doctor and see what he recommends.. ok maybe try liquid immoudium for stomach issues. Keep us updated on your progress.we are all here for you.. Stay Strong for Today...

Thank you lvg. It’s almost been 24 hours since I took a half of a 7.5 mg Norco. I went to the doctor and he wasn’t really any help. He told me I should do a month of 3 pills a day. I don’t want to take anymore of it. I have taken Imodium, prenatal vitamins because I have them on hand, zinc, folic acid, getitol complete, coq10, and royal jelly. Most of these I have been taking since the miscarriage so I just kept taking them. I did take a Valium today which really helped. I was getting to that shaky point bad. I have lost weight since last month and I am really praying that this is my peak of wd. I’m praying that it’s not a huge one this time. I got up and went to the doctor then I came home and swept and mopped some. I don’t have much energy but I’m trying to do this without everyone knowing. So I pray it starts getting a bit better from here. I am supposed to work tomorrow through Saturday and then fly out on Sunday for work. So I just pray it starts getting better. I don’t want it to be horrible while I’m out of town for work.

Hey I really think it's not going to he as traumatic as you think. Being a short acting opiate will be out of your system in no time. You up and going places mopping etc it's going to be just fine. It's the mental process that's tough our brain wants the doc it's no longer Getting so tell yourself you want this more than anything and you can do this...you have to be physically and mentally prepared to be clean. You can and will do this. I promise you even though it's scary you won't die might feel like you want to but you be ok. Keep posting.. Stay Strong for Today..

Hi lvg and thank you. Is it possible that the Valium gave me energy while taking the shakes and sweats away? I only have a view of them and as scared as I am of tapering the Xanax I will not continue the Valium for more than a couple days. I’m trying so hard to just pray that I don’t get the extreme physical wd so bad. I have to work tomorrow and have a busy week with having to go out of town for work on Sunday. My biggest fear was getting the extreme physical wd in front of my family and also while out of town for work. Is it possible that I have experienced the physical that I am going to experience. I have had a lot of sneezing this morning and then had the shakes and sweating and cold sweaty hands. That seems gone now. I have been extremely sensitive to the cool weather here today and the sun in my eyes is super sensitive. Also sounds are really high pitch or annoying I guess is how to explain it. I think the tummy has been ok due to the Imodium. I don’t want to scare myself that it’s going to come on strong at some point if it isn’t. I am now at 27.5 hours since I last took any Norco. So does that mean I made it through day 1? Day 1-3 were the worst coming off oxy. So I am just curious.
    Catrina and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Hi lvg and thank you. Is it possible that the Valium gave me energy while taking the shakes and sweats away? I only have a view of them and as scared as I am of tapering the Xanax I will not continue the Valium for more than a couple days. I’m trying so hard to just pray that I don’t get the extreme physical wd so bad. I have to work tomorrow and have a busy week with having to go out of town for work on Sunday. My biggest fear was getting the extreme physical wd in front of my family and also while out of town for work. Is it possible that I have experienced the physical that I am going to experience. I have had a lot of sneezing this morning and then had the shakes and sweating and cold sweaty hands. That seems gone now. I have been extremely sensitive to the cool weather here today and the sun in my eyes is super sensitive. Also sounds are really high pitch or annoying I guess is how to explain it. I think the tummy has been ok due to the Imodium. I don’t want to scare myself that it’s going to come on strong at some point if it isn’t. I am now at 27.5 hours since I last took any Norco. So does that mean I made it through day 1? Day 1-3 were the worst coming off oxy. So I am just curious.
    My experience has always been that the symptoms would peak at around the 24 hour mark after my last pills. From that point, they wouldn't get worse but they didn't get better either. I can't say if the supplements you're taking are helping but it sounds like that might be the case. The symptoms you describe are typical. My best guess is that from this point and for the next few days you'll have ups and downs but I don't think that things will get any worse physically. The mental part? That there is where you'll have to work the hardest. Working and generally staying busy is the absolute best thing you're going to be able to do. Keep taking the Immodium, it works like a charm.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

I actually was able to eat dinner. What? I’m worried that it is all going to hit harder any minute. I did take 3 Imodium today and I am worried about that and think I may need another now that I ate. Not sure?
    Catrina likes this.

I actually was able to eat dinner. What? I’m worried that it is all going to hit harder any minute. I did take 3 Imodium today and I am worried about that and think I may need another now that I ate. Not sure?
    It's OK. Good that you ate and if you need a couple more Immodium go ahead and take them. it's only those who take lots and I mean LOTS of them that are at risk at making more trouble for themselves. If you wind up in the bathroom, just go ahead and take the Immodium.

Peace.

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

I guess I am going to get ready and go to work. I kinda keep waiting on it to get worse and I have had sensitivity to cold on my skin and the tummy thing but I slept last night until 6 this morning then just couldn’t get comfortable to go back to sleep. I guess if it gets bad at work I will just have to go home. I’m going to try to make it rather than sit and think about it all day hopefully.

Don't wait like Cat says for the other shoe to drop it might not... Get up get moving have a great day tell yourself it's going to be an awesome day at work... Stay Strong for Today..

Nope just got really nauseated. I’m fighting throwing up right now. Ugh. I think I will have to wait another day.

The nausea stopped for now so I decided to go to work. Praying it’s a great day and an easy day. If it gets bad I will just go home. I took half a Valium but man my eyes are sensitive to the sun and my skin to this cool weather we are having. Praying that it starts getting better soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast