Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jvegaindy
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Is it too late ?!?
    Jvegaindy is offline New Member

Default Is it too late ?!?

I'm 52 years female who have been on opiates for 25+ years for pain management now take 60 mg MS Conton 3/day and 15 mg oxycodone every 4-6 hours I also while chasing my relief to pain am prescribed Wellbutrin Escitalopram 10mg 1 every day and xanax 1 mg 3/times a day am being monitored monthly by pain management dr
    These medications have basically taken over after losing 3 jobs in 1 year - the one last week along w a car accident have done me in.
    I've been thinking of quitting for almost a year now but also wander how I will deal w the pain ?? I've experienced detox several times when I take too much medication and run out so it's often a relief when refill comes along I'm never without at least 1 of the pain pill or xanax this time taking the combo didn't really work out for me for years and years but mostly in the padded 2-3 years I deny taking anything or it's for my foot or back always an excuse for not stopping but hiding it or thinking I was hiding it isn't working out for me either
    It's way passed time to get a grasp have been reading the posts on this site for several days believing tapering will not work for me
    Catrina likes this.

blondie50ish is offline Member

I can't really speak to using opiates for pain - but I think it's never too late to quit a bad habit. Have you spoken with your doctors about tapering of your meds? If not tapering, then using only minimum for pain? Usually doctors are very happy to help - sometimes they don't really know what they are doing, from what I understand, when it comes to suboxone and methodone, but usually tapering down off pain meds a doctor will put you on a schedule. That is very very difficult for most people though - I could never taper. I would start out with good intentions and then either watch the clock the entire time, waiting for my next dose; or break down and take it before the allotted time. Also, the entire time I was tapering I felt like I was in a constant state of withdrawal. It was much easier for me to quit cold turkey. Sort of like yanking the band aid off versus pulling it off slowly.

If you really want to quit, you need to start with the doctors. Cut off the supply. Tell them you don't want to take all those meds and you want to know the best way off. With you being on several different kinds, I think someone at lot more experienced than I am needs to advise you. Maybe someone here has experience, and I'm sure someone will come along - but in the meantime it never hurts to let the doctor know. Cutting off the supply - or letting them know you have a problem - is a huge part of quitting.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you work out.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jvegaindy View Post
    I'm 52 years female who have been on opiates for 25+ years for pain management now take 60 mg MS Conton 3/day and 15 mg oxycodone every 4-6 hours I also while chasing my relief to pain am prescribed Wellbutrin Escitalopram 10mg 1 every day and xanax 1 mg 3/times a day am being monitored monthly by pain management dr
    These medications have basically taken over after losing 3 jobs in 1 year - the one last week along w a car accident have done me in.
    I've been thinking of quitting for almost a year now but also wander how I will deal w the pain ?? I've experienced detox several times when I take too much medication and run out so it's often a relief when refill comes along I'm never without at least 1 of the pain pill or xanax this time taking the combo didn't really work out for me for years and years but mostly in the padded 2-3 years I deny taking anything or it's for my foot or back always an excuse for not stopping but hiding it or thinking I was hiding it isn't working out for me either
    It's way passed time to get a grasp have been reading the posts on this site for several days believing tapering will not work for me
    Welcome!

It is absolutely not too late to do something about this. I was 55 years old on my last day one. I was taking 200mg or more of oxy or anything I could get to fill in when I ran short. I'm not going to lie. I had detoxed countless times prior to my last Day. I lasted anywhere from not making it past the first day to a week, to a month to a few months but I'd always relapse. Are you counting? Yep. It'll be eight years! I have learned to control my pain in other ways. This is wayyyyy better!

What changed this time? I went to the internet to find an easy way to detox. That doesn't exist, by the way. I found this Forum and just like you, I began to read almost obsessively thread after thread. I read the stories and updates of people who were in the process of detoxing and those who were in various stages of their recovery. After a bit, I began to feel hopeful that if these people could do it, maybe I could too. I began to imagine what it would be like to not have to worry about having pills just to be able to get out of bed and take a shower. I had long since given up and had accepted that I would use narcotics the rest of my life.

I set my Day 1 and instead of being afraid, I was excited and hopeful. I couldn't wait to get the show on the road and become one of the members here who could report that another day went by and they didn't use. I wanted it more than I had ever wanted it before. To be perfectly honest, each of my prior detoxes was either because I had run out of pills or I was getting pressure from my family. I didn't like what I had become, I just didn't see anyway out. This time was different. I spent years thinking it was a secret. Pft. It wasn't and it usually isn't.

When I first began to read your post, it started with some background of what you're taking and that's exactly the way you should begin here. But when I read the words that you're tired of the fall-out of taking these nasty things, that was wonderful! You're ready so let's do it! We'll help.

Tapering never worked for me either. (Gobble, gobble). If they were there, I'd take an extra. Than another. You know what I mean. I just couldn't do it. I knew going into this that I had to just stop so that's what I did. I knew what it would feel like, it wasn't my first rodeo but I was ready.

As far as the Xanex goes, don't do a thing about that just yet. Those are an entirely different animal so begin your detox/recovery from the pain pills and once you're doing better, then you can tackle the xanax. Frankly, I'm amazed that they gave you that much xanex along with your pain pills. I'm not doubting you. Just finding it astonishing. Shame on them!

What do you say? Ready to do this? The Forum always gets really slow over the weekends and because it's a holiday weekend, it's apt to be even slower until Tuesday. I'm around, though so post, ask questions, whatever you need and I'll try to check regularly.

If you've been reading, you may have seen the Thomas Recipe or at least seen it mentioned. It's a list of vitamins and supplements that may help some of the detox symptoms and anything is worth a try. All the items are over the counter (except for the benzos), and are inexpensive and easy to find. If you Google it, you'll find it.

Give this your very best shot. It's possible. I'm here to tell you it is. I used for the better part of twenty years.

Post soon!

Peace,

Cat
    Leah987 likes this.

Leah987 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jvegaindy View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum I don't know anything about Conton or oxycodone, but I wanted to stop by and tell you that it is absolutely NOT too late to get off these things! It is time to go for it, to ditch the pain pills! I am 57, and got on pain pills 25 to 30 years ago, also. If I can do this, so can you! Due to the help of my great friends here on the forum, I have been off hydrocodone for almost 5 months now! Listen to Cat, she knows her stuff.

Autumnhopes is offline Member

Absolutely!! I have to chime in with these highly successful ladies & let you know it's hard but so worth it. I took narcotics for pain & at times was prescribed valium or Xanax. I got off the benzo's first because unlike you I only took them once in a while. But I TOTALLY agree that staying on the benzo's for now & getting off the opioids first is the way to go. Getting off Xanax will be different & a need to taper carefully,, very carefully.
    But the opioids can be cold-turkey if you want. It's rough the first few days to week. But after that it gets better & better. I've been back & forth for about 1 1/2 year. I'm finally getting myself clean & feeling better. When you have been on opioids for a while for pain that is.. It's worrisome to be without some meds but it works out better then you think. I'm taking toradol now. It works very well. It's an anti-inflammatory non-opioid med that has been great for me. I'm going to see about getting the liquid solution again to inject IM. I have no problem with that.
    Amazingly there are many meds, procedures, treatments, exercises etc.. that can help. I noticed when I had a scrip for the strong opioids I never wanted to bother w anything else. Just wanted to pop a pill. Now I'm more proactive getting myself going w different treatments to help.
    I wish all the best for you!! Keep reading & posting, It will def help...