Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sharee85
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
Trying to help my mom cold turkey with Methadone
    Sharee85 is offline New Member

Default Trying to help my mom cold turkey with Methadone

Hello, I'm 31 years old and my mother who is 56 is on day 2 of going cold turkey from Methadone. She has been a IV >>>>>> addict for approximately 12 years... cleaned up for 25 years, moved back to NJ from GA and relapsed after so many years. She has been on Methadone for about a year and a half. I believe she was on 80mg. We currently moved out of NJ and she has no methadone to take and she wants to be clean, she is just scared of the Withdrawal from this drug. She said it's worse than actual >>>>>>. She is currently balled up in a dark room and doesn't want to be bothered. I know it's going to be hard but I'm ready for the challenge so she can be clean all across the board. I HATE To see her go through this and I don't know what to do or how I can help in any way. I'm literally Crying as I'm writing this. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and I keep reassuring that to her. This is a horrible punishment that she needs to CONQUER and I will help her through it. Can someone help me with suggestions on getting my mom through this horrific time. PLEEEASSSEE
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharee85 View Post
    Hello, I'm 31 years old and my mother who is 56 is on day 2 of going cold turkey from Methadone. She has been a IV >>>>>> addict for approximately 12 years... cleaned up for 25 years, moved back to NJ from GA and relapsed after so many years. She has been on Methadone for about a year and a half. I believe she was on 80mg. We currently moved out of NJ and she has no methadone to take and she wants to be clean, she is just scared of the Withdrawal from this drug. She said it's worse than actual >>>>>>. She is currently balled up in a dark room and doesn't want to be bothered. I know it's going to be hard but I'm ready for the challenge so she can be clean all across the board. I HATE To see her go through this and I don't know what to do or how I can help in any way. I'm literally Crying as I'm writing this. I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and I keep reassuring that to her. This is a horrible punishment that she needs to CONQUER and I will help her through it. Can someone help me with suggestions on getting my mom through this horrific time. PLEEEASSSEE
    Welcome Sharee,

I am so sorry that you have to endure this. You're a good daughter to stick by her side in spite of how awful this must be for you. I'm not going to lie to you, cold turkey from methadone is no joke. She's not kidding when she says that withdrawal from that is worse than H. Far worse in fact and it lasts much, much longer. She's in for a rough ride. I honestly think that she should find another methadone clinic and begin a proper taper. Once she's down to a very low dose, if she can and wants to, she can switch to suboxone. That also needs to be tapered but it's at least easier than methadone. Methadone is commonly called "liquid handcuffs". It's strong with an incredibly long half life and has to be tapered very slowly. Just to give you an idea, even jumping from 5mg/day of methadone leaves one with withdrawal symptoms.

If she has absolutely no choice but to get through this, the best you can do is to try and treat some of the symptoms. Nothing is going to make them go away but there are some things that might help a little bit. Please find the Thomas Recipe. There's a sticky somewhere on this Forum and you can also find it by using your computer's search engine. It's a list of vitamins and supplements that might be a bit helpful. One of the items is a benzo but it's best to avoid those if at all possible. They are highly addictive and they would have to be tapered even after using them for only a short amount of time. It's dangerous to stop benzos abruptly. Immodium is an absolute must! Be sure she is drinking lots and lots of water or Gatorade and be sure she's eating. I know she doesn't want to but she has to try and keep her strength up. A protein rich diet is best. It's quite easy to become dehydrated and that makes the symptoms even worse. Do you have any heating pads? They can help to soothe the aches and the restless legs. Hot baths and plenty of them.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but you and she have one tough road ahead that is apt to last for weeks or even months. I think it would be wise to consider other options such as getting back on the methadone and being diligent about tapering. Once she's been able to get down to a much lower dose of the methadone, if she's willing she could switch to suboxone. There's a taper plan used here called Robert's Sub Taper Plan that has proven successful for thousands of people, many who had been on them for years and had been unable to taper them low enough to get off of them entirely. She might be able to make the switch to subs but she's going to have to stick this out for a while longer to allow some of the methadone to dissipate. .

I'm sure she knows what she's up against and I give her tremendous credit for attempting to do this. Can you have a talk with her and ask if she wants to either find another clinic or if she wants to try suboxone therapy? I hope you can. Then come back here and let us know what she wants to do. There are so many people with lots of knowledge that can help both of you.

I'll try to watch for you to post again.

Peace,

Cat

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharee85 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Methadone withdrawals are horrific and jumping from 80mg is going to be extra painful. Not to scare you but this unfortunately is going to last quite a while. Most people taper methadone extremely slowly all the way down to zero! Another option is tapering the methadone down to around 30mg then making the switch to Suboxone? Are these options available?

If not then you can use the items in the Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal minus the benzos, here's a link -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

You can also read up on Lvg nghtmare's thread, here's a link -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...one-72381.html

Feel free to post to Lvg's thread and ask for help and advice? Keep us posted?
    Best of luck to your mom! Take care... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-29-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Methadone withdrawals are horrific and jumping from 80mg is going to be extra painful. Not to scare you but this unfortunately is going to last quite a while. You can use the items in the Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal minus the benzos, here's a link -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

You can also read up on Lvg nghtmare's thread, here's a link -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...one-72381.html

Feel free to post to Lvg's thread and ask for help and advice? Best of luck to your mom! Take care... God bless us all!
    Thanks for the links, Ricky. Someday I'll learn how to do that. I try, but just can't get it right. You're my Link Hero!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Thanks for the links, Ricky. Someday I'll learn how to do that. I try, but just can't get it right. You're my Link Hero!
    LOL, the "Link Hero"... You can posts links as well, just a little practice and you'll get the hang of it?

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Ricky now when is the class to learn the links.lol...

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Sharee, I'm sorry your having to go through this with your Mom. Let me say how strong and supportive you are for posting on this forum.. If she really wants this for herself she can do it, it's definitely not going to be easy, all you can do is just be there when she needs you. That's a lot some of don't have that. I know your scared but she will be ok in time, have you looked into for yourself into nar-anon/alanon it might help you through this process. Yes there's light at the end of the tunnel. If I can answer any questions you might have keep posting everyone here on this forum will try and help and support you through this.. best wishes....