Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Wanderer99
Is this WD?
    Wanderer99 is offline New Member

Default Is this WD?

Hi, I’ve been prescribed 4mg Dilaudid on and off for years for headaches without ever becoming dependent. I am prescribed a 30 days supply (60 tabs) every 90 days.

I’ve had a bad month of headaches and have gone through 30 tabs in the last 5 weeks. Some days I took 2 a day, so there were days where I didn’t take anything at all. Also, prior to getting this rx filled 5 weeks ago, I had not taken any Dilaudid for 30+ days. Anyway I woke up yesterday with a headache. It was bad so I took an imitrix but it didn’t work. Bad headaches often make me nauseous and throw up, and this one was no exception. I really haven’t had much to eat over the past 2 days. I’ve been trying to stay hydrated. What makes me wonder if this is withdrawal are the hot and cold feelings I’ve been getting. In addition, I’ve been restless and just felt lousy. No fever. I didn’t look at the COWS sheet or anything to see if I was in wd, but it kind of makes me wonder. I was shaky all day yesterday too and have had a runny nose.

Last night I took 1/2 tab Dilaudid to try to kill the headache....It made me feel somewhat better but not totally. Today I took 1/2 tab at 7am and 1/4 tab twice, so a total of 1 tablet today. I’ve felt better, but not great.

I made a deal with myself that I’d get off of this stuff if I ever became dependent and consequently have Valium and clonidine on hand. I took clonidine today and still don’t feel great.

So does this sound like wd? From my last dose to my first symptoms of whatever this is was maybe 12 hours, maybe more.

Any insights or advice is greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    P
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-01-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi and Welcome,

Yes I do think that these may be withdrawal symptoms. It sure sounds like some of the most typical. I'm a little surprised that when you did take one that although it helped, you still didn't feel great. It could be that it was because you only took half the dose that you're used to, even after adding two additional 1/4 tabs it wasn't all together so the first piece had already started to dissipate. The half life of these short acting opiates is only 3-4 hours.

Here's what I'd do. I'd go ahead and take a whole tablet at one time and see if you feel better. If you do, then you're likely right and you're experiencing some withdrawal symptoms. Using them for five straight weeks will do it even if you only used them much less previously. Your body was still becoming accustomed to them. Not the end of the world. Your use doesn't sound to be enormous. If you want to quit, QUIT. Just do it. You'll feel lousy like you do now but most of it will be past in around five days.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions, ask away.

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat,

Thanks for replying and thanks for the advice.

I think you’re right, but I also think they are very mild, at least so far today. I took 1/4 tab last night at 9, and another one at 11am, and I’ve been normal. I also took 1/2 tab clonidine, but no Valium so far. Stomachs grumbling, but no nausea, pain etc. At this point I am not planning on doing an extensive taper. If I feel relatively ok in the morning illl stop the taper and treat any remaining symptoms with clonidine, Valium and stomach meds for nausea etc.

I have another question. Before I posted this message, I looked around and read about methadone and suboxone withdrawal. I understand half life and how insidious the stacking of doses of long acting opiates/opioids can be in withdrawal. Just so I’m clear, because Dilaudid is so short acting, that’s not an issue here, right? Theoretically almost everything could be out of my system within a little more than 24 - 48 hours.

As for why I didn’t feel better on Saturday.....I think it was mostly the nausea, but that’s one of the reasons why I came here in the first place, because intuitively you’d think I’d feel great about 30 mins after taking that tablet. I also had a headache, and was agitated....couldn’t get comfortable. Was not a good day.

Thanks Cat! If I get really sick again and need help I’ll come back, but right now this seems fairly manageable with what I have on hand. This is the greatest website to find information on this sort of thing, so thanks.

Take care!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Yes that's true. The dilaudid should clear your system in around three days. The physical withdrawals will last another couple of days including bathroom issues, trouble sleeping, aches, lethargy, and just feeling lousy, After that, it'll take a couple of weeks or so for your sleep to begin to return to an acceptable level but otherwise, you should be mostly comfortable. Lethargy is another symptom that will hang on for a while longer. Best medicine for that is to stay busy and push yourself to move around and get some exercise. It'll help to pass the time and will speed up the return of your strength. I always say that the few weeks immediately following detox can be the most challenging and we sometimes just want a brief respite resulting in a relapse. We never intend for that to happen, we just can become obsessed with getting some relief.. HUGE mistake. The real only way is to hang tough and let that time pass and things will get better.

Glad your symptoms aren't horrendous but I wouldn't expect that they would be because you really weren't taking large doses. Nonetheless, there is rarely a free ride and there is always some symptoms that will rear their head. The more time that passes that you continue in this pattern, the worse it will become. Addiction or dependence on opiates is hugely progressive. I'd count my lucky stars that this is manageable and stay away from the dilaudid.

I'm glad that you are considering what is going on with you. Maybe it isn't withdrawal at all but I promise you this: At some point down the road it will be.

Good luck and post often. I'd like to follow you to see how you're doing.

Peace,

Cat

Hi again Cat,

I’m doing ok today. My only real symptoms right now are poor appetite and feeling hot. I don’t want to overdo it with the clonidine or Valium right now, so none of that since 4am.. I took 1/4 tab Dilaudid yesterday at 11am and another this morning at 4am. Nothing since. My initial plan was to not really taper, and that’s probably what’s going to happen. I have ~30 4mg Dilaudid tabs, so while I can taper for a long time, it’s difficult to reliably cut them into anything smaller than 1/4 pieces. Plus from what I’ve read, tapering kind of sounds like it becomes futile with relatively low dose short acting meds and just delays the inevitable. I’m going to see if I can make it again today with 1/2 tab maximum, and less if possible. When I can get by with 1/4tab for the entire day (24 hours) then I’ll quit, as that’s the lowest dose I can taper to. Once again, clonidine in particular works absolute wonders for these issues.

I can say this about withdrawal. For someone like me who has never experienced the full throes of wd, there’s some fear as I’ve read dozens of horror stories. Plus it’s the unknown for me. I suppose I’m lucky that it’s not methadone or another long acting drug that I was prescribed.

Take care and I’ll write more tomorrow or Thursday. If you live in the US, have a Happy Fourth!

Fourth of July today. Compared to the past several days, I ate well yesterday and slept well last night. I had some runny nose, hot feelings, and shakiness yesterday. I have not taken any Dilaudid since yesterday at 1:15pm.

Symptoms: I woke up today because I started to feel hot. Slightly runny nose. Rumbling stomach, although there’s no nausea.

Treatment: I took my clonidine and 1/4 Valium tablet a little while ago.

Hopefully I will be able to last at least 24 hours between Dilaudid doses. If I don’t get very sick today I’ll just quit. If I do get really sick I’m going to try to cut the 1/4 tablet in half, but I think it’s going to crumble. I have some ideas on how to accomplish this in other ways if necessary, like dissolving the 1/4 tablet in a bottle of water, and drinking half, but I don’t want to mess with that right now.

Other than that, I’m ok. I do realize I took 1/4 Dilaudid 20 hours ago, and that at some point I’m going to get sick again. I would like it to be a little more mild than last weekend, but it’s approaching the time to just get it over with. Presumably a lot of my receptors don’t have Dilaudid molecules hanging on them now as I’m at 1/4 of what I had been taking.

I’ll let you know how I do tomorrow.

Hi. It’s been close to 48 hours here since I last took the 1/4 Dilaudid and I’m pretty much fine. I did wake up at 4:45am today feeling hot and wound up like a spring. I took my clonidine and 1/4 Valium and it fixed me.

I haven’t taken a ton of Valium but the last thing I need is for a dependence to develop with that, so I’ve started cutting my dose from 1/2 tab to 1/4 tab.

Im starting to think this short taper really helped me, which is a surprise. I was very sick on Saturday. I had a bad case of influenza A in January, and this withdrawal on Saturday wasn’t much better. I’m very thankful that the last two days have been simple.

I suppose I could be jinxing myself and it could get worse today, but I doubt it at this point. I think I’m experiencing very mild wd symptoms that are behind mostly masked by the clonidine and ocassional Valium.

I’m also beginning to think that every doctor who prescribes pain meds should provide clonidine and a very small supply of Valium or clonazapam for all patients they prescribe these things to for more than 30 days. While this was the first time I have ever had any wd, I have asked my doctor what to do if I ever became dependent, and he doesnt really know. I have anxiety when I fly, so I goto a shrink for Valium before I travel, and I discussed it with him. He was the one who fixed me up with the clonidine and Valium to hold onto just in case. Total lifesaver.

It’s July 6 today, and barring something bad, it will probably be my last update.

I’m doing fine. At 1pm it will be 3 days without the Dilaudid.

Symptoms: none really. I do have a bit of a headache today, the first all week. I’m thinking it’s weather related, as its a trigger and we are about to get a big cold front and storms. Im out of imitrix and don’t want to go get any now bc I’ve taken too many lately. So if it gets bad my treatment options are....Advil and maybe mmj. I will see. Otherwise I’m ok. The yawning, hot/cold sensations and runny nose are by and large gone. Stomach is still rumbling a bit but it’s no big deal.

I’m kind of proud of myself. I know with the exception of Saturday, my wd wasn’t bad......but what makes me happy is that for years I’ve made a deal with myself that I would never allow myself to become dependent and if it happened I’d deal with it ASAP no matter what. And I did. Now if I had to go through what I did on Saturday for 3 or 4 days straight....it would have been a much slower process.
    Beefaroni7272 and OKC-26 like this.