• 1 Post By TrishNeal
  • 1 Post By TrishNeal
  • 1 Post By TheCib
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By Deb-W
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By TheCib
  • 3 Post By Catrina
Went to NA-1st time I said I'm an ADDICT!
    Deb-W is offline New Member

Default Went to NA-1st time I said I'm an ADDICT!

Went to my first NA meeting and what a great help. Like many others I started on OxyContin and Oxycodone following an auto accident where I broke both legs. That was 20 years ago. I increased to 200 milligrams a day- always prescribed by my Dr and taken as directed. A year and a half ago I knew I had to get off the medication. The drugs consumed my life. So I have been tapering with the support of my Dr and Pharmacist. Up until NOW, the hardest was getting off the OxyContin- tapering off was like being hit by a truck.I honestly believe that stuff is evil. I'm now decreasing Percocet slowly from 10 milligrams- 4 times a day to 7.5- 4 times a day. Down from 200 milligrams to 35 milligrams a day! This has been so hard...that I looked up the NA meetings in my city, found a Women's Meeting and forced myself to get out of the house and go. I've been reading discussions on this site and have found it so helpful also. I just started the Thomas Recipe and hope it will help me. My plan is to continue reducing every 7-10 days. I would really appreciate support from this community- this has been a long process for me and I'm nearing the end and need help. I plan to post my experience in reaching my goal of being drug free. Hoping this will not only help me but also others. Any support and advice will be much appreciated.

WOW...24 hours and no posts of support or advice. I thought this would be a good site for me considering what I'm going through. It took a lot of courage to write my first post. Disappointed...

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deb-W View Post
    WOW...24 hours and no posts of support or advice. I thought this would be a good site for me considering what I'm going through. It took a lot of courage to write my first post. Disappointed...

Hello Deb, Welcome to you!

I'm sorry no one has responded to you yet. It happens. The forum can get slow and times and posts/threads can be missed. I'm sure you'll receive more responses if you have a little patience.

Congratulations to you on the decision to get off the Oxy. You'll be the better for it. Tapering as you are isn't an easy thing to do. Reason being it takes an enourmous amount of willpower to refrain from taking more pills to head of any wd's. When you taper you're basically in wd's the entire time and it's very easy to reach for an extra dose when times get rough. You've managed to stick with your taper and should be congratulated for that.

Have you given any thought to just getting it over with cold turkey and stopping now? It's certainly the fastest way off and you're clean the next day! You'll have about a weeks worth of symptoms with days 2-4 usually being the worst of it. The days get better and better afterwards. Just wondering if you've consider CT?

Great job on attending the NA meeting. I tell others all the time just how beneficial those meetings can be. It's scary going in the doors the first time, but you did it and that's Awesome! I attend both NA and AA and I'm a sponsor in NA. I love it and have made so many good, clean friends. You will too if you continue going. Don't rule out AA ok. Same 12 steps just a different drug.

Please continue posting as I'm sure others will be around with advice and support. Take care.

Randy
    davepeerson and Deb-W like this.

davepeerson is offline Platinum Member

Hello and Congrats on the decision to free yourself from the "BEAST"!! I would have to say I agree with everything Randy said...Tapering So slowly off the oxycodone is Tough...but it IS doable!! I also tend to believe it's harder than just going Cold turkey...little different than getting off of Suboxone..."In My Opinion".....I'm glad you don't mention anything about Going the Suboxone route.....In My Opinion...it is tougher to get off those than just getting off the opiates....at least that was My experience!! I'm not by any means putting down people who use Subs to get clean....anyway you can get Clean is a Good way!! It WILL get harder, the lower you get.....and as Randy says...you will be sort of in w/d's the whole time!! I guess the best part is you won't have to go through those Really Horrible first few days!! I just want to Support You on a Great Decision to get YOUR LIFE BACK!! I will be around, and follow your progress....Please post as often as you can.....as you will not only be helping yourself, but others as well!! Stay Strong Just For Today!!.."The 3 C's in Life:...Choice...Chance....Change...You Must Make The Choice, To Take The Chance, If You Want Anything In Life To Change"!!..xo
    Randy35, Lvg nghtmare and Deb-W like this.

Hi Randy!
    Thanks so much for the welcome and support. It means a lot to hear from you because this process seems so lonely and isolating. I'm tapering slowly so that I can avoid the horrible experience of total w/d but I have been considering just going off completely- just not ready to do that now. Is it possible to avoid the worst withdrawal symptoms by my plan:
    Percocet
    1) Reducing from 10 milligrams to 7.5 milligrams- 4 times a day. In one month.
    2) Reducing from 7.5 milligrams to 5 milligrams- 4 times a day. In month two.
    3) Reducing from 5 milligrams to 2.5 milligrams- 4 times a day. In month three
    4) Drop on dose each week - in month four.
    Would appreciate your ideas about this.
    Thanks again Randy!
    Deb
    davepeerson and Randy35 like this.

Thanks Dave!
    You're response is very helpful and uplifting. Love the 3 C's. I'm determined to get off the Oxys. My life has been consumed with getting the drug- taking the drug- staring at the clock for when I can take the drug again and on and on. I'm so exhausted and want to be free. You said just what I needed to hear today and I'm grateful!
    Deb
    Randy35 and davepeerson like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hi Randy!
    Thanks so much for the welcome and support. It means a lot to hear from you because this process seems so lonely and isolating. I'm tapering slowly so that I can avoid the horrible experience of total w/d but I have been considering just going off completely- just not ready to do that now. Is it possible to avoid the worst withdrawal symptoms by my plan:
    Percocet
    1) Reducing from 10 milligrams to 7.5 milligrams- 4 times a day. In one month.
    2) Reducing from 7.5 milligrams to 5 milligrams- 4 times a day. In month two.
    3) Reducing from 5 milligrams to 2.5 milligrams- 4 times a day. In month three
    4) Drop on dose each week - in month four.
    Would appreciate your ideas about this.
    Thanks again Randy!
    Deb

Hey Deb -

This process really is lonely and isolating as you said. We addicts try to keep everything hidden from everyone and that's the worst thing we can do. That's why face to face support is so important. Having others around we can talk to that have been where we've been makes a huge difference in our recovery efforts. We can't do it alone, but we think we can.

Your taper plan is fine if it works for you. As long as you're reducing your dose every so often that's perfectly fine. You're always going in the right direction. But seeing as you asked my opinion on the matter I'll only say it seems a bit slow to me, really slow in fact. A month on a dose is a long, long time. Sure you'll soften any potential wd's, but you would have the same result if you reduced your dose every week for example. It will take months for you to be clean your way. Something to think about?

Without any judgement on my part, ask yourself these questions....
    Are you planning the long taper process because you're afraid to stop?
    Do you really hate to give up the Oxy?
    Do you really and truly want to stop?

I'm not attempting to change your mind or get you to do anything you don't want to do. I've just been there and know how our mind works. These drugs, or "BEAST" as my good frind Dave calls it can really get us hooked good, both mentally and physically.

You have our full support here no matter what you do.

Randy

Hi Randy- Actually I'm Reducing by 2.5 milligrams every 7 days. I realize that this will take a while but as I mentioned- it is getting more difficult the lower I go. I've been Reducing for a year and a half- From 200 milligrams to 35 milligrams currently. As for your questions- I am planning this long taper to avoid the extreme withdrawal symptoms. YES- I'm afraid to stop suddenly- I don't want to suffer any more than I have to. I do not hate to give up the Oxy- I do not want to go on being tied to this drug and all the behaviors to get and use it. I truly want to stop but I'm afraid to stop suddenly. That's about as honest as I can be at this time. I really need and appreciate support...
    Deb

TheCib is offline Member

Default Tapering

Hi Deb,

For me I knew cold turkey was the only way to go. My addictive personality will not permit me to slowly ease off oxy. If I see one I take it
    As you read through these threads there are a lot of people with a lot more experience than me.

Jumping off cold turkey takes a good seven days any way you slice it. The Thomas recipe is something you might want to look into The plan is not a cure all but does help you fight your way through the acute stage.My worst symptom was RLS or restless leg syndrome. You may or may not have this symptom when you decide to jump.

I am in week two of sobriety and on my second go round. I slipped for two weeks but jumped right back on the clean and sober train.

I feel that you should be with people like you. Reach out to an NA meeting and just listen some day. These people will not judge you because they all have been right where your at.

I wish you the best of luck no matter which route you take on getting clean. Keep posting !
    Lvg nghtmare and Deb-W like this.

Hi Cib!
    Thanks for your post and CONGRATULATIONS on 2 weeks clean. Good for you- you give me hope! Keep going! Let me know how you're doing!
    Deb

TrishNeal is offline Member

I Deb. Your thread really caught my attention because I'm tapering also. A lot of people say it can't be done and cold turkey is the only way, so I'm glad to see your successes this far. I'm down from 160 mg per day to, well 60/70. I was holding at 50 for a while but had a bad pain episode, so now I'm working to get back down to 50. Making it to 35...that's really something! Keep us posted, you're story is no doubt helping others besides me...not to mention how participating here can help yourself! Trish
    Deb-W likes this.

TrishNeal is offline Member

Hey just saw this after my first reply. Don't sweat it. The traffic here ebbs and flows, and is almost always slower than what you might be familiar with Facebook and other social media. One thing I noticed on my thread was how many people read my thread (can't see this feature on mobile). I think a lot of people are looking at tapering- just keep posting!
    Deb-W likes this.

Hi Trish!
    Thanks so much for responding- it really helps to hear from others! I don't feel so alone in this process. So far, tapering has worked for me. And yes, I'm thrilled that I'm down to 35 milligrams a day. Tomorrow I will decrease by 2.5 milligrams. Not looking forward to it but I'm determined. That will be 32.5 milligrams a day for 7 days. NA meeting tonight - it always helps me to feel better. If you haven't already- I recommend finding a Women's NA Meeting. Best of luck in your tapering. Let me know how you're doing?
    Deb

TheCib is offline Member

Hey Deb,

Just checking in with you today. After two weeks of sobriety just wanted to comment how good non-narcotic drugs are helping me with my back pain. Once your body clears it self I think you will be surprised.

Wanted to add that you must remember to cut yourself some slack when you decide to jump. It has taken a long time to get to where you are at and it will take some time to get to your destination. I am confident that you will be successful in your journey. Again, just remember give yourself some slack. Just for today ! I don't want to use !
    Deb-W likes this.

Hi Cib!
    Great to hear from you! 2 weeks clean and sober...I want what you have!!!!! Today I'm cutting down 2.5 milligrams- down from 35 milligrams to 32.5 milligrams. It doesn't sound like a lot but at this low dose I really feel it. Wish me luck. Went to NA last night- love it. Need to go to more meetings. Are you going to NA or AA- I find it helps to talk face to face to others who really understand.
    Sending you my best wishes for your success!
    Deb

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Deb and Welcome,

Sorry the traffic here started out slow. It comes and goes and sometimes there's lots of folks around and other times it seems that no one is here. The weekends are always slower.

WOW for you!! You have spent a long time tapering and you've managed to get down from 200mg/day. That's amazing. Truly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the way you are doing it so long as you're doing it. I'm a cold turkey advocate but that's because it was the only way I could get it done. I tried to taper many times but just couldn't become disciplined enough for it to work. That's me though and you've proven you can do it. YAY!!

Randy mentioned it and I'll say it too. You could go faster without it making things any harder but that's up to you too. Just wanted to reiterate that you shouldn't be afraid of speeding things up if you decide to. I also want to add that up until now your reductions of 2.5mg is working and that's good. Once you get down lower, those 2.5mg will become a larger percentage of what you're taking and it will probably be a little harder. You don't have to worry about that yet and you'll know when and if you begin to struggle. At that point, hopefully you'll be low enough and instead of dragging things out it might be wise to just jump, experience a few days of discomfort and be done.

Keep posting!!! It's important for others to know that this is possible and you're proofing it every time you post.

Peace,

Cat
    Deb-W and Randy35 like this.

TheCib is offline Member

Hi Deb,

Yes I do attend NA meetings.It's a small group maybe 25 people and about 85 percent are the home group crowd. Im keeping an eye out on your post so keep going your doing great ! Just for today ! I chose not to use !!!!!

Hi Cat and Cib!
    Great to hear from you. I decided after thinking about what Randy and the both of you have said I decided to decrease faster than I planned. Instead of cutting back 2.5 milligrams- I cut back 5 milligrams today. So now I'm on 30 milligrams of Percocet a day! Yay! I feel a bit shaky but ok. I'm determined... thanks for all of your support. I'll keep in touch...
    Deb
    Randy35 and Catrina like this.

I just want to add that I have been taking the following for one week:
    1) A quality multi- vitamin
    2) Potassium
    3) Mega B Stress vitamins
    4) Magnesium
    5) L-Tyrosine with B 6 added
    6) Melatonin 2.5 milligrams at bedtime
    I am convinced that these substances from The Thomas Recipe are helping me with my tapering. I can't express enough how grateful I am for this forum. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences and given me HOPE!
    Deb

Hi Cat and Cib!
    Great to hear from you. I decided after thinking about what Randy and the both of you have said I decided to decrease faster than I planned. Instead of cutting back 2.5 milligrams- I cut back 5 milligrams today. So now I'm on 30 milligrams of Percocet a day! Yay! I feel a bit shaky but ok. I'm determined... thanks for all of your support. I'll keep in touch...
    Deb

Good for you!!! Stay right there at this dose until you level out and then you can reduce again. See how it goes because you are getting lower now so if it gets too tough you can go back to the 2.5mg but can reduce every 7 to 10 days and should do fine.

YAY is right!

Peace,

Cat
    Deb-W likes this.

TheCib is offline Member

I am so glad to hear that you now have a plan ! That decision is half the battle in my opinion. Cat is kinda our den mother. She is just a wealth of knowledge when it comes to these matters. So take her advice.

Coming to the conclusion that my battle with addiction is a day by day process. I once read a thread that makes so much sense. I have the strength to take another pill but do not have the strength to go through withdrawals again. I have so much respect for your plan to taper because I just could not do it.

Every day that I remain sober gives me the chance to forgive myself. The demons of opiates gave me the misconception of failing to be truthful about my addiction. Snorting 8-10 30 mg of oxy a day took me down a very dark path. Am very lucky to be alive at this point and have given myself a chance to live without opiates.

I guess my point to you Deb is congratulations on your decision and plan to be free of addiction. It is a decision that many people do not make. Stay strong ! Be honest with yourself ! No matter how tough it may or may not get, the end result is sobriety !

Just for today ! I choose not to use...
    Randy35 and Deb-W like this.

Well...Day 3 on reduction of 5 milligrams- now on 30 milligrams of Percocet a day. I have to admit that I’m feeling mostly issues with my brain. Having trouble concentrating and generally feeling low energy. I’m still determined and will follow Cat’s advice and stay at this dose for 7-10 days. Plan to go to an NA meeting tomorrow- I need support.
    Deb

When I started this thread I was taking 35 milligrams of Percocet- down from a 200 milligram a day addiction. I’m grateful to report that I am now on 20 milligrams a day- the lowest I’ve taken in 20 years. I really appreciate the few people who have responded to me and shared support and advice. I am getting tremendous support attending NA. I just listen and soak in what other addicts say about the program and how it works. Last night I asked a woman with 33 years clean time to be my Sponser and she said YES without hesitation. My plan is to stay on this dose for 7-10 days ( thanks Catrina) and then reduce to 10 milligrams a day. After that I will make the jump. Wish me luck!

Well...Day 3 on reduction of 5 milligrams- now on 30 milligrams of Percocet a day. I have to admit that I’m feeling mostly issues with my brain. Having trouble concentrating and generally feeling low energy. I’m still determined and will follow Cat’s advice and stay at this dose for 7-10 days. Plan to go to an NA meeting tomorrow- I need support.
    Deb
    Yes! Get to that meeting. It'll help. Stay put at that dose for a bit until you're feeling right as rain. That's the whole point of tapering and it's to avoid most of the acute junk. Getting there. You've come a long way so congrats!

Peace,

Cat
    Deb-W, Lvg nghtmare and ForMe30 like this.

UPDATE:
    I’ve tapered down to 10 milligrams a day! I’m taking 2 1/2 milligrams 4 times a day. I really could not have gotten here without NA...I am so grateful. I will continue to decrease until I’m off of drugs. Right now I’m focused on TODAY!
    Deb