Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 2 Post By Comeback Kid
  • 2 Post By sweetnessJJ
  • 1 Post By JedMI
what about after rehab?
    sweetnessJJ is offline Member

Smile what about after rehab?

I am curious, after completing rehab or detoxing, did many of you find a 12-step program necessary, helpful, etc? If you didn't join a 12 step program, what did you do for support?

NA and AA members- how often did you attend meetings when freshly clean and how often do you attend now?

I am curious. My husband is in rehab and they encourage a 12-step program and he will participate in one in treatment. I have family members in AA and they credit it with saving their lives. Just curious to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks!

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

It absolutely saved my life.
    I am a recovering addict but I go to AA.
    My sponsor is in AA..
    I have tried this before and stayed clean > 10 years with a 12 step program.
    Stop going .....got in a car accident.
    Went to vicodin
    Then methadone
    Then suboxone.
    Now 9 months clean from everything except Suboxone
    Now 11 days clean after a 6 month taper with suboxone and finally free!
    It never gets better or easier..
    For me it is the difference between life and death..
    I would suggest you go to Alanon or Naranon for family members that love addicts..
    It will help to have support from others that are going through the same or similar situations..

Usually the addict gets all the attention and the help.
    When in fact it affects the whole family..

You have got to take care of yourself too..
    Just some suggestions !
    Take care
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-09-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    davepeerson and sweetnessJJ like this.

Comeback Kid is offline Advanced Member

I went to rehab and was introduced to the program. I had tried to quit 2 times previous to rehab and never could. I came straight home and went to a meeting. I too chose AA but was only an addict. I didn't have job at the time so I was going to a meeting a day usually. It got me on the right track. I have since gotten away from it but have not written it off completely. Good luck, and I will suggest you look into Alanon.
    Iluv2smile and sweetnessJJ like this.

CONGRATS to you! Off of everything. What a wonderful feeling. I can't WAIT to look my husband in the eyes and see them clear, with big pupils. Literally all that is getting me through each day.

Thanks for your reply- sounds so much like my husband. Vicodin to methadone...just started a Suboxone program in rehab today. I have gone to Gam-Anon meetings before and am planning on going to Narc-Anon with a friend of mine who is also married to an addict. It really does affect the whole family.

Happy to read your response. I intend to encourage his participation in AA/NA and hope he wants to continue as well.

Thanks Comeback, and congrats to you on your sobriety. My sister in law says the AA group she attends is full of all kinds of addicts. Though my husband has never directly had a problem with alcohol, I suspect it would become a problem if given the chance.

I hope he continues with meetings. Their outpatient program requires attendance of a 12 step program but I hope he wants to continue to attend after completing OP!
    Iluv2smile and davepeerson like this.

JedMI is offline Member

You sound very supportive may I suggest FAN meetings. It is Families Against Narcotics. It's a smaller group but is very supportive and brings in families not just strangers to meetings.
    sweetnessJJ likes this.

Thanks for the suggestion JedMI- I have never heard of FAN and will certainly look into it!