• 2 Post By Joey1962
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 4 Post By Joey1962
  • 1 Post By Methadone insomnia
  • 1 Post By Methadone insomnia
What should I do?
    Joey1962 is offline New Member

Default What should I do?

Hi .... just joined. I'm a RN got injured at work a year ago here I am today going through complete withdrawal. Made the mistake of not tapering. Went from taking 16 percs last Sunday. The withdrawal was so bad that I had 3 on Mon. And Tuesday. 2 on Wed thurs and Friday. Had 1.5 last night. I'm sick I'm agitated but the worst is the no sleep. Tonight I will take 1 perc. I realize this is a rapid taper. But I'm sick of this. I went from 2 a day up to 16. Anyways any suggestions to make me sleep? I've tried everything. I do have 3 suboxone pills. Is it to early to start those or should I not at all or do half I have no idea. I need sleep. Totally exhausted.

Help!!!!??

somo is offline Advanced Member

In my opinion, you aren't tapering, just on a cycle of short relief, then withdrawal. 24 hours after your last dose, you are probably safe to start the subs. Use for 3 days only. It should make the wd better.

Should I take the 8mg after 24 hrs with Nothing?? And should I completely stop the percs now?? Thanks for responding. And may i ask why u think I'm not tapering?..... because I went from 16 to 3 then to 2 now at 1.5 and will do 1 tonight. No clue how to finish this off.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Joey, how to finish it off flush the subs the percs should be out of your system in a week there is no easy way around the withdrawals you definitely don't want to trade one drug for the other. You will feel like you have the flu and than be done with it. We are here to support you.. Let us know what your plans are moving forward...
    OKC-26 and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey Joey. Welcome!! I'd have to agree with lvg. Subs are crazy strong (30 times stronger than morphine) and have a very long half life (24-72 hours) They are a whole other monster. And from everything I've read short tapers rarely work. If you c/t the percs you'll feel bad for a week or so. Have you seen the Thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal. I'm on my phone right now but you can Google it. Leave out the benzos unless you're already taking them under a doctor's supervision. Everything there will help you on this process.

Either way we are here to support you.
    Let us know what you're plans are moving forward.
    Beef

Ok so no subs and continue tapering the percs?? I'll be down to 1 tonight. I do feel like I have the flu anxiety irritability just and overall dark place I'm in. It the sleep part ..... I can't sleep I drift off and my body is jerking restless legs. Feel like I'm going crazy.

I'll look up the Thomas recipe.
    Catrina and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Joey,

Glad you got some responses. I'm so sorry that you are having to go thru this but let me try to explain some things that might help you make sense of what's going on and your options. In the end, the choice is your's but it's better to have a few facts before making that decision.

You have all the classic withdrawal symptoms and absolutely the worst for most of us is the inability to sleep and the restless legs/arms. Horrible. When Somo said you weren't tapering, he is correct. You have reduced but a proper taper takes a long time by cutting down very small amounts once every ten days or so. If you were taking 16 consistently, for example you may have cut back to 14 and stayed there for around a week and then cut out another two. You'd just keep doing that until you were down to one per day for several days and then stop. A proper taper will reduce all the symptoms but let me tell you, it's hard to do mentally. Anyway, now your options.

Just stop right now like Lvg said. It really is the quickest way to get past this. You'll need liquid Immodium for the digestive issues, vitamin fortified water or Gatorade or similar. Get a couple of heating pads to soothe your legs and take frequent hot baths. Both of those will ease the aches and the restless legs. There's a product called Hyland's Calm Legs, or Restless Legs and at least one other by the same manufacturer. They can usually be found at the grocery store in the vitamin aisle, the pharmacy, Walgreen's, etc. Fairly cheap and they help some. Try to keep out of bed and moving around. Go outside if you can for short walks or if you go to the gym, go! It doesn't have to be a marathon but moving helps everything along. You can expect five days of these symptoms and then the worst of them will stop abruptly. You may continue to have frequent bathroom trips for a few more days and sleep will continue to be sketchy but at least you'll be still enough to rest.

Those subs I'd throw away but that's me. As Beef mentioned they are powerful and have a very long half life. While they will definitely make you feel better, in many ways you'll just be delaying the inevitable. The are an opiate and symptoms will likely be waiting for you when the subs are gone. The correct way to use subs is at small amounts and to do a VERY slow taper that usually takes around 6 weeks. If you decide you can't stand it and you do want to take the subs, be careful. If your percs were 5mg each and your highest daily dose was 80mg, you should only need 2mg of the sub PER DAY or even less than that. There is a protocol for inducting the subs so if you do want to go down this road, let us know and we'll help you. In the meantime, don't take any until you are in full withdrawal. Find and print the COWS sheet to score your symptoms and once you arrive at a score of 26, it's safe take the sub. If you decide to take the subs, please let us know and we'll share more info. Please do not take a full tablet and don't take it at all until you are sure you are far enough into withdrawal. Taking it too soon could put you into precipitated withdrawal and if you think what you're feeling is bad, you haven't seen anything.

Let us know what you want to do. Hope this helps.

Peace,

Cat
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Cat
    Thank you so much. I will not be taking the subs. I'm hoping as it's a week today I last took 16. I'm down to 1.5 and will take 1 tonight and then stop. I'm hoping I've been through the worst as I felt a bit more of myself today. I'm so happy I found this site and this forum. Nobody seems to understand unless you've been through it.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joey1962 View Post
    Cat
    Thank you so much. I will not be taking the subs. I'm hoping as it's a week today I last took 16. I'm down to 1.5 and will take 1 tonight and then stop. I'm hoping I've been through the worst as I felt a bit more of myself today. I'm so happy I found this site and this forum. Nobody seems to understand unless you've been through it.
    Oh I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm especially glad that you've decided to not use the subs. They're just not worth messing with unless you intend to do it correctly. So, good!

I hope too that you're through the worst of it. It definitely will help that you cut back so severely this past week. I wish you had found us earlier because I would have advised you to just get rid of whatever you had and stop. By now you would be on the upswing. It's OK because you are but one day away from zero. I would suspect that your sleep may still be troublesome. You can try some Melatonin and/or Sleepy Time Tea just before bedtime. I made a strong cup of tea to down the Melatonin. Did it induce sleep? Not really but others report it does. It did however relax me making the wakeful hours more tolerable.

Keep posting. It really helps and absolutely no one can possible understand any of this unless they've lived it.

Peace,

Cat

Methadone insomnia is offline Junior Member

Joey1962..i have a few options to help you sleep..first brand made by Doctors Best is magnesium,high absorption take 2 right before bedtime..another is made by a company called Clarks nutrition "SLEEP"with Valerian and melatonin..i take both these 20-30min before bed they help..also get a good multi vita min..Spectro makes a great one it's called Multi-vita-min will get you feeling better faster hopefully..best wishes hope some of this helps
    insomnia
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Methadone insomnia is offline Junior Member

Another 2 that work together i didn't mention are made by company called "Gaia" sleep threw & sound sleep made by same company. Hope these help you sleep..the ones in the first post i have personally tried and they help some
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.