Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mottam
  • 1 Post By mottam
what will trigger a wd reset?
    fytn4freedom is offline New Member

Default what will trigger a wd reset?

Hi, I posted in another area of the site but it must be the dark corner of the website lol. I quit norco and tramadol last week. Tuesday was my last 3. So I am about 7 days clean. Physical wds have finally eased. I started taking pain meds 3 years ago for back pain. I did well following the dr orders for the first year and a half. Then I started to increase dosage cause they didn't work well anymore. I still have pain. Its not always as bad as the meds made me think. My worst days were 8-10 norco and 8-10 tramadol. Still didn't do much for me. Now I might have to have injections in 3 weeks and I don't know how I will handle the pain. If I refill and use just for the procedure will my wds reset? Or should I ask for something else? I havenotspoke tto my dr yet. Also for the Thomas recipe should I take 2-4k ofl-tyrosine all at onceor spaced out? I don't have a history of addiction. This situation kinda got away from me. Also the pain meds always slowed me down and fatigued me, so should my malaise period leave me energized

I'm hoping for either personal experience, opinions, or dr. Suggestions. This site is a big help. Thanks everyone.

mottam is offline Advanced Member

fytn:
    Welcome to the forum.

I am not an MD, nor will I give you my opinion.. I will share some experience with you however.
    From my experience, I, like you, started on pain meds due to an accident and surgery. However, I was already an addict, so opiates simply became my latest, "legal" drug of choice. That led to many years of misery.
    The effectiveness of the pain meds has its limitations for many people. Eventually, the body seems to require more and more, with little pain relief. You wind up taking them simply not to get sick.

As far as your pain, and alternative options - there are MANY out there. Injections, stretching, exercise, diet, meditation, non-opiate medications, etc. Again, I am not an MD, so speak with your doc. Meditation, diet, stretching, and exercise (losing weight and building muscle) have worked wonders for me.

With regards to taking opiates again after recently stopping - from my experience - that varies from person to person. For me, if I stopped for a few weeks, then used pain meds, per prescription instructions or not, I went through w/d. My body is simply sensitized to the presence of opiates.

In the end, talk to your doc. Be honest about you pain, you desire to take a non-opiate path to control the pain, and the fact that you did cross the line w/ regards to misuse. If you increased your dosage w/o speaking to/clearing it with your doctor - you crossed a certain line. Many of us have done that - I have. Unfortunately, you cannot put the genie back in the bottle...

Talk w/ you doc and be honest.
    Question: If you stopped the opiates and just went through the horrors of w/d, why would you want to start that vicious cycle all over again?

Best of luck.

Kindest Regards

mottam
    LovesAnimals likes this.
    Persistency is consistency

Thanks for the reply and thanks for sharing your experience. Its not that I want to go back. My next treatment will be facet injections in lower back. I am on light duty at work and can handle the pain at this pace so I honestly don't need the meds. I had diagnostic shots in my back and they hurt a lot. I was wondering if there was an option besides norco or tramadol. I do plan on being honest with my doc, he has been great so far. Your experience informs me there is a possibility to be back at square 1 again. Not happening. I'm just tired of being in pain and I know the injections will hurt. Tylenol and ibuprofen may as well be sugar cubes. Oddly today feels like day 3 again and its been 8. If I ask for 10 percs will it register I. My body as opiate with the chance for opening Pandora's box? Thanks

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fytn4freedom View Post
    Thanks for the reply and thanks for sharing your experience. Its not that I want to go back. My next treatment will be facet injections in lower back. I am on light duty at work and can handle the pain at this pace so I honestly don't need the meds. I had diagnostic shots in my back and they hurt a lot. I was wondering if there was an option besides norco or tramadol. I do plan on being honest with my doc, he has been great so far. Your experience informs me there is a possibility to be back at square 1 again. Not happening. I'm just tired of being in pain and I know the injections will hurt. Tylenol and ibuprofen may as well be sugar cubes. Oddly today feels like day 3 again and its been 8. If I ask for 10 percs will it register I. My body as opiate with the chance for opening Pandora's box? Thanks

I'll be a little more direct and to the point than Mottam... <wink!> My opinions are based on my own personal experience, as well as years of education and working in the field of substance abuse. Once we are an addict, we can NOT go back into "controlled" use. It's a line we cross, and there's no crossing back. Just as an alcoholic can't go back to sipping a glass of wine occasionally - and addict can't go back to "normal" use of an opiate. It won't happen.

You will not only recreate withdrawal symptoms, but you will re-ignite your disease of addiction. Once we have *ONE* pill in our body, all bets are off. Our minds are hijacked. Commitment to recovery becomes lost. It's not fair - it's frightening - but it's the facts.

The ONLY way out of addiction is through COMPLETE ABSTINENCE. There are many non-narcotic pain relievers, and I"m sure your doctor can find one to help you. One I have used for severe pain was toradol. It's not for daily use, but should help if you need something for the shots. (I presume these are cortisone or steroid injections, NOT narcotics!)

YES - it is just like opening Pandora's Box!

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Lol, I understand it a little bit better when put that way. You can prob tell by my post I was kinda hoping mottam wasn't getting to that point. Sorry, day 8 and I'm still twitching a bit. I still can't believe how these things got a hold of me. I an a loving father , try to Bea good husband, and a Christian. Church almost every Sunday. But I was meeting at the house of norco several times day. Live and learn. I will make sure to mention to my doc. And yes I believe its cortisone shots. Already had one in my hip and radio frequency rhizotomy in my back. Looking back I wonder if my joints are failing now due to my body being dehydrated from the pills? I do think my doc was right for scripting them, I couldn't have survived before without pain relief. I just should have been more open with my doc. Thanks

I am still pretty off. New years eve was my last norco and Jan 1 I took my last tramadol. I still get dizzy around midday and my legs hurt for no reason. Legs are rls achy throughout the day. I am taking all the vitamin, drinking water, and taking hot baths oftenly. I wish I would have tapered. Its especially hard knowing the guy standing next to you has what your craving.

saddad1 is offline Member

I can tell you from personal experience that I've learned for myself that there is no such thing as a 'minor relapse'. I quit for over a week and thought that I could just knock out a few norco's to reward myself/feel better/be an idiot/whatever and those 4 took all my progress and smashed it into a million pieces right in front of me. Once we got hooked we transformed...there is a demon that lives in you and if you give it ANY scrap of power it will dominate your soul. If you get lackadaisical and don't stay vigilant and make sure that the cage is barred and locked ALL THE TIME then he'll find a way out. These are my facts of life as a recovering addict. Has it gotten easier? Yes, in the sense that my thoughts aren't completely filled by this demon all day everyday. Is it still hard? Sure, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it everyday...how can I not? Will it ever go away? I doubt it, but I've only gotten stronger in 74 days and I love my life now (even though I'm getting divorced and don't have my daughter with me) more than I did on pills. Does the thought of 'having' to take an opiate for pain scare me? Not in the least...I'd rather suffer in pain and not give that demon any power over me than lose what's left of my life to feel some fleeting, meaningless 'relief'...

Dig in your heels. Clinch your fists. Be brave. You either will or won't do this. You have to pick.

I am still pretty off. New years eve was my last norco and Jan 1 I took my last tramadol. I still get dizzy around midday and my legs hurt for no reason. Legs are rls achy throughout the day. I am taking all the vitamin, drinking water, and taking hot baths oftenly. I wish I would have tapered. Its especially hard knowing the guy standing next to you has what your craving.
    ftyn:
    It takes time my friend. It will get better, as long as you do not use.

Getting and staying clean is a selfish endeavour - that is - you and your recovery come first and foremost. Please do not give a rat's @$$ about the guy next to you - he is your "enemy" in the sense of the first suggestion given to me: avoid people, places and things you used with and at.

Keep up the fight - 1 day at a time.
    Kindest Regards.

mottam

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Dear fytn,

It's probably the tramadol that is giving you the lingering symptoms - the detox off the norco should be pretty much over, but the tramadol takes longer. Just keep moving forward, and that, too, will pass. This is one of those things that the only way out is through the 'fire.'

I'm curious, who's this guy who has what you're craving? If this is someone you can openly talk to, then ask them to keep those demon pills stashed and hidden away from where you are. The last thing we need is to have that kind of temptation around!

Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

A friend and coworker. Through the years he has helped me and I have helped him. I did tell him I'm done and he responded properly. However im not real sure if now is my time. I don't mean to discourage anyone but I had a moment yesterday. My little girl was being a little girl and playing. My back was hurting from too much out and about. My pain turned me into a grumpy bear. I had a flash of anger because she kept pulling on me. I didn't hit her or anything. But when the pain causes me anger it scares me. Today was a memorial for my aunt, I took some tylenol 3

The disease of addiction - it's talking to you constantly.
    It manifests itself through issues in daily life, stressful situations; distress, dispair...

Pick yourself back up, and begin again. This disease is progressive and fatal. Recovery does not come easy. I was not a first time winner.

Don't give up/give in ftyn. The w/d you experienced is just the tip of the misery iceberg should you decide to leave your disease unchecked, and take back your will.

I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts.

Kindest Regards.
    mottam
    ARTIST658 likes this.

There is hope....... yesterday I was hurting. My brother in law offered me some meds. He is taking etodolac. Its just an NSAID aimed at arthritis. It actually worked really well. I was amazed. Friday morning Ihave a doctor appointment so I will have to ask for them and see what his opinion is. This was the best working non narcotic i have found yet. Again I will have to talk to my doc. Other than the 2 tylenol 3 I'm still clean.