Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
Addicted and doing home detox this weekend
    Beans1983 is offline Member

Default Addicted and doing home detox this weekend

Hi everyone,

My story is not a new one. I was prescribed Vicoden about 5 years ago for back problems. Fast forward to now and with tolerance being what it is I am now taking 5 to 7, 10mg Percocet daily. My TENS unit controls my pain so I'm not even worried about that at this point. I use the meds to deal with stress- my job is insane (looking for a new one as we speak), I work from home so I have that isolation (but there are also many benefits), have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), and I have a 15 YO daughter with a chronic painful condition who cannot go to traditional high school and does an online program instead with me as her coach. She also suffers from anxiety and isolation. I went through a separation and then divorce about 4 years ago. So LOTS of stress going on here. Thankfully I have a wonderful partner and he knows everything. He is planning on holding my hand through this coming weekend.

I used to suffer from insomnia so I take Ambien to sleep. Not sure if I will experience sleep issues as others have described here. But I can take Mon and Tues off next week if I need to. I also take Ativan for my GAD. I have read that Valium is better for the Thomas Recipe so I have requested that from my doc, which she approved. I also live in a state that has medical marijuana and have my card. I am hoping that it will help with both the heart palpitations (the worse part of the WDs that start when my body wants more) this weekend and if I have any residual pain with my back after detox the MM might help. (I know some may look at this as swapping one drug for another, but my anxiety can be debilitating and with the stress in my life it helps me function.)

I am here mostly for support for the detox this weekend. I am obviously terrified. The heart palps are the worst (my BF also ordered some Gaba for me as that can help with those). Based on my current dosage what can I expect? The 5 to 7 a day is somewhat new (last 6 weeks). Before that I'd been on 3 a day for quite a while. Should I look into Subs? I do not expect my stress to magically disappear after I detox and I don't want to be tempted to take Percs again. I have access to an RX of naltrexone. Is that considered a sub? I read it cannot be taken until the person is 14 days post-detox. So I am guessing naltrexone isn't a sub? Should I ask my pain doc for an RX for a sub? If so, which one?

Any input is most appreciated. Seems like the people here are wonderful. I spent all last night reading older threads. I really want to get off the opiate and get my life back. My goal is to change jobs here soon so I can be in a less stressful situation. I don't want to change jobs in the throws of addiction as my GAD will go nuts (from the big change) and I will need more percs to function. Not good. I want off the ride!

Thank you, in advance.
    Beans
    ItsPossible likes this.

I am hoping for some input. I'm really worried.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome,

You have a lot going on! First of all...no to the subs at least for now. Naltrexone is a drug that blocks the effects of opiates. Suboxone is a combo of Natrexone and Bup. The Bup is very strong and has a very long half life. Subutex is Bup but does not have the Naltrexone. So either, is highly addictive and very strong. They are a good tool to get clean when all else fails. The best way to use subs is to induct at the lowest possible dose (sub doctors prescribe insanely high doses that simply isn't necessary). Once you have inducted at YOUR lowest possible dose, you would then begin a slow taper to get off of them.

With the amount of you taking now, detox is very predictable. Your anxiety will kick up, most, but not all, people have restless legs, bathroom issues and inability to sleep. The acute symptoms will last 5 or 6 days and much of the physical will be over and you will be left tired and weak. Much like you're just getting over a bad flu. It takes a bit longer to get consistent good sleep.

You can also try to taper. This takes lots of self discipline but can be done. If you think you're up to the task of tapering your pain meds, this may be a good choice for you. I almost always advocate for cold turkey but with your extreme anxiety issues, I'm not sure how you would hold up. I'd much rather see you taper from the opiates than from sub.

There are supplements that can help ease the symptoms of withdrawal and are just good to take anyway. Have you found and read the Thomas Recipe? It consists of vitamins and some over the counter things that may help you with a withdrawal.

Think about your choices and let us know what you decide to do. There's lots of people here that will help you and support you through this. Being on opiates everyday is just not a way to live. Be well.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-20-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    ItsPossible likes this.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Welcome, Beans....

This is the best decision you will ever make, congrats on that.

And don't get stressed about the w/d's.....your usage is not that huge. Sounds like you have been up to 50-70 mg oxy a day for a few weeks.....and that is totally doable.

You really shouldn't feel much more than a bad flu, if that, and by day 5, you should be turning the corner. Don't worry, you will be fine, and having some support from your BF will be awesome.

Stay well hydrated and keep your mind busy with puzzles, movies, whatever.....just don't sit around and watch the clock, you will feel time is standing still.

Good luck, and post lots....let us know how you are feeling.....we all have been there and understand.

Thank you both! Just knowing there is support out here is huge.

I have tried tapering and just don't have the willpower. I have been trying for about a month now and I'm suffering. So I would rather deal with a handful of days that are miserable than a constant simmer of w/d.

I will hold off on pursuing subs for now. I really appreciate that advice.

Next Thursday I have an important faculty meeting in the evening. Do you think I will feel functional by then? Aren't the first 2 days the worst? I am going to start this Friday night. And if I miss a few days of work next week, well, it's a new year and that's what sick time is for LOL. If I do eventually get a new job they won't pay me out for sick time so I can't think of a better time to do this.

Oh and I have ordered everything for Thomas or rather my dear sweet man did for me. Any other recommendations for the heart palps?

Thank you again. You guys rock.
    ItsPossible likes this.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Beans,

You might have to fake it a bit....fake it til you make it, as Cat says....but, if you start Friday on your detox, then I see no problem with your Thursday meeting....that will be actually be 7 days, and you will be able to handle a meeting.

As far as heart palps, I always found marijuana raised my blood pressure, thus heart beating more rapid...so, you may want to be careful with that.

I always found the first day to be worst, only because I was so bored, and watching a clock....after that first day, I felt I was on my way. The RLS was not pleasant, but there are so many remedies for that, all over the board, something will work for you. That would leave the sleep issue, but, as you stated in your first post, that may not be an issue at all.

You are going to be surprised at the ease of which you will get through this, Beans.....

I hope you are right, Silver, about the ease of this. When my WDs set in between dosages my heart pounds like fight or flight. It's awful. Now that I have such a tolerance, every morning it wakes me up at approximately the same time as I NEED that first dosage.

This will be the hardest thing to deal with it. I usually take it and go back to bed if my schedule allows. Short of running around the block how do I deal with these nasty little mothers? lol

Hey Beans,

I'm so glad that you're going to give cold turkey a go. It really is the quickest way to an end. Waking up and dosing. Dosing at night to relax. Dosing because it's time to dose. All a part of the habit. The best way to deal with this is to create new, healthy habits to replace the bad ones. Someone very wise said here that it takes two weeks of repeating a behavior for it to become a habit. Works for me. So, when you wake up and automatically want to take that pill and get a little extra sleep, instead get up and do something productive and enjoyable. I think most of us used to greet each morning with a pill. Instead, I don't try to fall back to sleep. I get up, hit the button on my Kuerig for my first cup of coffee and hit the bathroom. Get my cup of coffee ready and turn on the news. Sit in bed with my coffee and my laptop. Check my email, read this Forum and maybe catch a rerun of Law and Order. This is my morning ritual now and I don't like it to be interrupted! Now. What I should be doing is grabbing a bottle of water (much healthier than coffee) throw on my walking shoes and get some exercise in (also a lot healthier than watching Law and Order) . Bleh! Progress not perfection. You get the picture. It's not easy in the beginning but with a bit of tenacity you will notice that you have a new morning ritual. This same technique can be used for other parts of the day when you might have a hard time.

Keep posting! Sometimes it's slow here but most often someone is around to answer you. In any event, use this as your journal. Writing out what's going on with you is therapeutic.

Good luck. We'll have your back.

Peace,

Cat

TampaFlorida is offline Member

Hi Beans,
    I used to have problems with heart palps and tachycardia when withdrawing. My doc put me on a beta blocker back then. Maybe something to talk to your doctor about.
    Clonidine is another med used for wd. It's a blood pressure med that helps with some of the symptoms.
    If you can't sleep at night, don't get angry or anxious about it, just accept it as part of your healing.
    Hot shower or baths helps with rls and temperature problems.
    Keep a blanket or towel in the dryer and warm it up each time you freezing.
    Your dose wasn't that high. You should be feeling better by day 5.
    Don't go the sub route. Your usage wasn't as high.
    Keep us posted!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Welcome,

You have a lot going on! First of all...no to the subs at least for now. Naltrexone is a drug that blocks the effects of opiates. Suboxone is a combo of Natrexone and Bup. The Bup is very strong and has a very long half life. Subutex is Bup but does not have the Naltrexone.

Hi Cat,

Two corrections if I may….It's not Naltrexone that's in Suboxone, it's Naloxone that's added. Easy to get the two confused. They are both very similar drugs used for the same purpose by paramedics and hospital ER's. Naloxone is short acting and Naltrexone is a longer acting drug. The brand name is Narcan.

And it's not the Naloxone (or Naltrexone as you mentioned) that blocks the effects of opiates in Suboxone, it's actually the active ingredient which is Buprenorphine that blocks the effects of opiates. Suboxone is a combination of Buprenorphine and Naloxone. The Bupe blocks other drugs from getting through and the Naloxone is added to deter abuse by IV addicts.

Just wanted to clear that up for others reading along. That is all….carry on!

Hello Beans,

Welcome to you!

You can't go wrong listening to Cat's advice. She's seen it all as well as most of us have. We've been in your shoes and made it to the other side. Life is so good being clean and free!

I've always said, and will continue do so that Sub should be the last choice of plans to use when wanting to get clean. Try everything else first and if all other methods fail then subs may be a good choice. I did just that trying to taper numerous times with no luck then tried CT many times too. Just couldn't get over the hump and gave subs a shot. It was what helped ME to get clean, that and AA/NA meetings.

Take the advice of Cat and Silver and give CT everything you have. If you don't really want it, it won't happen. A week from now you'll be feeling good. The support here will help you get through it so continue to post often.

Randy
    Catrina likes this.

oxyblues is offline Member

Hi Beans,

Not sure if you read my thread, but I just quit 200mg oxy a day and had planned on using Subs. I'm so thankful I didn't do it!

Listen, the thought of WD is usually much worse than how the WD will actually be. I'm not saying it's a party, but it is clearly manageable doing it without Subs because many of us have done just that and it didn't kill us or make us crazy or anything. Looking back, Day 1 was probably the worst for me because I was so worried about how bad it was going to be. Then as 24 hours turned into 48 I realized that I could handle it and it was just a matter of having the flu until a couple of days had passed. By Day 5 I had turned the corner and could handle a meeting by faking it. Then it's a bit up and down, but it gets better and that is a fact.

I've had HUGE anxiety issues in the past. I know how that is. But, you seem to have the tools and the support to do this. Gabapentin in the 600mg range helped me so much. I took it 3 times a day. I also had klonipin which I only took at night. Between the two, it was entirely manageable and I was shocked how it was almost exactly like the flu.

I'm on Day 10 now and feel much better. So happy I don't have to take those pills anymore! I have lingering sleep issues, but you are on Ambien and a benzo already so maybe that will be less for you.

You can do this. So get started and get it over with. What's having the flu for 4 or 5 days in the grand scheme of things?? Nothing really, not compared to what you gain.

Thank you, Randy. I have a cat on my lap right now for a love session and he rarely lets me pet him so this will be quick. But I just wanted you to know I appreciate the additional info on subs. If/when I go that route, I will ask better questions about them.

I *do* want this really badly. So I am hoping I can do it. I made a list of the reasons I want to do it now so I can look at those this weekend and my BF can gently remind me of them when I am in the throws.

I will keep everyone posted. :-)
    Randy35 likes this.

Thank you for the info on the heart palps, Tampa, and the other suggestions. :-)

Great advice on creating new habits, Cat. Thank you for that. Sage advice. :-)

Hi OxyBlues, I *did* read your posts. And I appreciate you sharing your story. 10 days is a HUGE accomplishment so congrats!!

Thank you for the advice on anxiety. I appreciate it and will look into those meds after I get through this.

I hope you are right that it won't be as bad as I think. :-)

I do have a new question. Has anyone here used the product that comes up in the advertisement? If so, thoughts?

Thanks Randy for clearing that up. I should know better than to put my pharmacist hat on. I'm terrible at it. I should write that down because I'll have it mixed up again in a minute.

Beans--What product are they advertising? There's always something on the pop-ups. Most, if a not all, of them are just a more expensive version of something you can buy over the counter at the grocery store, pharmacy, or health food store. They play on your fear of beginning your detox. Drink water, eat healthy (protein shakes are awesome), take a good Vitamin B complex and did I say drink water? Yes I did but it bears repeating. Drink gallons of water. Exercise. However much you can manage. It will help to keep your strength up, release some anxiety, and help you make you tired in a good way. This is the perfect time to change up your lifestyle to a more healthy one. Aha. A new habit! Eat well and exercise. Again, as far as those ads go, see what the active ingredients are. I'm sure they're very ordinary common sense things with a fancy smanzy name. No sense paying postage to order it, I bet you can find the same thing(s) right at the store.

When is your Day 1? Tomorrow?? Keep us posted. I'll be in the cheering section shouting at the top of my lungs. Gooooo Beans!!

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-21-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    Randy35 likes this.

Thanks, Cat! Day One is this Saturday. Yikes!!

I will look up the ingredients and see how they stack up to the vitamins and minerals I already have.

Great advice as always.

I just looked at it. Looks like a lot of things for your digestive tract and for diarrhea. Immodim takes care of the diarrhea quite nicely. It has something to help cleanse your liver. Water!!! Melatonin ($5 for a big bottle at the grocery store). Green Tea--any grocery store and Sleepy Time Tea is better. Valerian root and a few of the others are on the Thomas Recipe. I stand by my opinion. Save your money and go through the vitamin aisle at the grocery store. There is something else you can try called Hylands Restless Legs or another product called Calm Legs that is supposed to help with the restless legs. I found hot baths and heating pads set on low work better but both of those items aren't expensive so worth a try. Water, protein shakes, and the other items on the Thomas Recipe will have you covered. If you get restless legs, try one of the products I suggested above.

Peace,

Cat

Thanks, Cat. I will let you all know how it goes.

TampaFlorida is offline Member

Hey Beans,
    I checked out those ingredients a while ago because the add caught my interest.
    I decided not to purchase it simply because it's not worth the price for what they offer. Nothing special really to give me the "ah" effect.
    Those are simple products that you can get in any health store or grocery store.
    Beside that I rather have my supplements separated. What happens if one of those ingredients makes you nauseous? Than the whole bottle is worth nothing but if you have the supplements each in a diff. Bottle you can simply cut the one you can't handle out and use the others still.
    You can see what combination works best for you during day or night. Thus you have a bigger playground so to speak.
    And sometimes that extra pill of magnesium, potassium or whatever might be just the one to take you over the hump via placebo effect.
    You know sometimes just the thought that something will make us better works.
    That's why I recommend to have all supplements separated.

The thing that worries me the most at this point is this. Before I would dose when something stressful happened or was going to happen such as a planned event. After I get through this detox what do I do when this happens (mostly during work day)? I can't really stop and go out for a walk or remove myself from the situation. I *am* looking for a less stressful job or at least one that I'm not burned out on. But in the meantime my job is stressful, I dislike our dept leadership immensely (micro managers), and am completely burned out on my field. Before I would dose to escape mentally. Now what? (Assuming I am successful this weekend. Fingers crossed!)

~Beans

Hi,

Obviously we can't just take a break during our workday whenever the spirit moves us. Think about a schedule for yourself. I'm a morning person so it makes sense to get 'er going first thing and start my day with exercise. Developing coping skills is the single most important thing we have to do to remain in recovery. Oftentimes, these aren't tangible things and those just take persistence. Interrupting our routine just isn't easy. You can probably pinpoint the times of day that are tougher than others for you. Steal 10 minutes when work gets stressful and you would ordinarily take a pill and instead, log on here and post how you're feeling or what's going on with your day. Take the guilty pleasure of surfing the net to read some celebrity smut. Map out a brand new routine. I start my day by getting a cup of coffee and sitting in bed to read my emails. I allow myself an entire hour of doing whatever I want to do so long as it can be done while I have my cup of coffee and my laptop Then, whether I feel like it or not, I shower, get dressed, do my hair and put some makeup on. There. My day has officially begun and I feel better. I work from home often too so it was easy to delay my shower until the afternoon or whenever I felt like it (or didn't). Sounds simplistic but there's nothing simple about it. At first, I had to force myself to stay in routine. Now I'm lost if I don't.

Don't underestimate the value of reading threads here for inspiration or just to vent.

I'll be looking for your tomorrow. D-Day!!!! I'll probably check in very early and then I'm on the road with my grandkids until early afternoon but I'll check back as soon as I get home.

Peace,

Cat

Thank you for this, Cat. I can see myself posting about my employer a lot. They frustrate me to no end.

I'm not sure when I will text tomorrow as it will depend on how I'm feeling. But I will try. Please don't worry-- I won't be alone. My soulmate and oldest daughter are going to be with me all weekend. But I will do my best to post.

Just woke up. BF and I stayed up late talking. Heart was going but I took half a Valium. Doing okay so far.

My body is aching all over. I feel very restless. It's been 6 hours since I would have normally dosed and 15 hours since my last dose.

So lethargic and achy. Ugh this sucks. It's hard when I know i could fix it with a pill.

Hi!

Be kind to yourself. Get some nice warm pajamas. Take a nice long hot bath and then make yourself a cup of tea. Got a heating pad? If you don't, have that wonderful partner of yours go and get one. Set it on low temp and put it behind your back. I actually used more than one. The hot bath will help to relieve the aches and so will the heating pad(s). Be sure you keep drinking! Water, juice, tea and as much as you can stand! Do you have any pills around? If you do, get rid of them so that they're not tempting you. You can feel better with one pill. That sums it up but it won't be worth it.

Keep checking in. I'm in for the night and will try to watch for you.

Peace,

Cat

Hi Cat, pills are out of the house. I have done a shower and bath and they helped. And I have napped on and off. I keep telling myself I only want to go through this once. . And yes I have lots of heating pads.

Funny no diarrhea or cramping at all... Yet. Just achy and restless and anxiety ridden.

Would Advil help with the body aches?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast