Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By therealnursejackie
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Afraid of Oxycodone withdrawal
    therealnursejackie is offline New Member

Default Afraid of Oxycodone withdrawal

For almost one year now I have using Percocet 10/325, sometimes only one a day but at the most up to 4 pills a day. I have wanted and tried to stop on several different occasions but usually can't make it past day 4 without giving in and sadly swiping a few more from a family member. I keep telling myself this will be the last time but always seem to cave. The other times I have attempted to stop I was substituting my cravings with smoking some pot, but now I'm done with that too. I took the half of a pill this morning and am terrified of what the next few weeks will bring. Right now I have a pounding headache and feel feverish. Just looking for some support to get through this since NO ONE in my family knows what's going on and there is no way I want to spring this on them. I just want my old life back but feel it's so out of reach.

Shimmy7 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by therealnursejackie View Post
    For almost one year now I have using Percocet 10/325, sometimes only one a day but at the most up to 4 pills a day. I have wanted and tried to stop on several different occasions but usually can't make it past day 4 without giving in and sadly swiping a few more from a family member. I keep telling myself this will be the last time but always seem to cave. The other times I have attempted to stop I was substituting my cravings with smoking some pot, but now I'm done with that too. I took the half of a pill this morning and am terrified of what the next few weeks will bring. Right now I have a pounding headache and feel feverish. Just looking for some support to get through this since NO ONE in my family knows what's going on and there is no way I want to spring this on them. I just want my old life back but feel it's so out of reach.
    Hey Jackie. I'm new here too. My habit is a lot larger than yours but i understand many of the things you mentioned. From my experience, and that's all i can go on, when i was using about 5-6 pills a day, and tried to stop, there was def some discomfort. I have every faith that you can stop. You said you're only using one, sometimes four a day, right? I really think you'll be fine. I always got the night sweats and horrible RLS but nothing that was too bad. You can do this. This place is great for getting advice from people with years of experience and solid sobriety. Again, i can only speak from my experience. I wish i would have stopped much earlier on. Kudos to you for stopping now....cause this stuff takes a hold of you fast and your tolerance can go up over night. It's crazy. Keep busy. i know it's hard to not obsess over it....but keep busy. Read these threads. they help me tremendously. Best of luck to you. You got this

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hey Jackie,

The important things first. I LOVE your user name. Make me smile. Thank you very much.

I echo what Shimmy has posted to you. Your dose and habit are small compared to what it could be and will become if you stay on this path. I'm sure you're aware of that so I'll skip that lecture. A big part of beginning and getting thru a cold turkey detox is mental. This is not to say that any symptoms you have/get are imagined. They are very real. It's just important to point that out because if you can get into the right mind set, it's going to help tremendously. Your detox is most definitely doable. I have cold turkey detoxed from 40mg/day and from over 200mg/day of oxy, hydro, essentially anything that I could lay my grubby little fingers on. The symptoms were very similar from both doses and everything in between and the detox timeline was the same.

My habit lasted for nearly 20 years with a sprinkling of clean time from time to time but never for long. My last Day 1 was in early January 2010 and I truly believe what made the difference for me this time was that I lurked and read here for weeks leading up to my Day 1. Hope was something that I hadn't felt in years and I had completely given up. I had accepted that active addition would be a part of my life forever. As my Day 1 grew closer, instead of the fear and dread, I was hopeful and confident. I knew what to expect and this time it didn't matter. I finally understood that there is no easy way to do this and the only way to get through it is to go through it. There are no short cuts and you can't walk around it. Straight on through after having made the strongest commitment to myself that I had ever made. Bring it on!

You have made it as long as four days in the past. Gosh. You were soooooo close. I always try to tell people that most of the physical symptoms related to detoxing don't usually subside gradually so it's easy to understand that after suffering for four days and not feeling ANY better, we throw the towel in. For me, and many others, Day 4 was awful and on Day 5, all the aches and the restless legs were gone. Poof. Only two hours earlier I was crawling out of my skin and very suddenly it was gone. I was left tired and weak. Much like I was getting over a bad flu. The lethargy and trouble sleeping continued for several weeks after that but steadily improved. The remainder of the symptoms eventually all resolved but for sure, it's a test of our stick-to-itness.

You can do this but you're going to have to make this a top priority. Nothing is more important. The laundry can wait and so can work. Everything has to take a back seat and for a time, this has to be all about you. It's easy to procrastinate and I get it. Pick your Day 1 and on your way you go. Plan on around 5 days of having to endure the worst of the physical part of it. My Day 1 wasn't that bad. I was able to work the entire day and my symptoms began to arrive late in the afternoon and peaked later that night. Days 2, 3 and 4 were the same. Things didn't get worse but they didn't get better either. When Day 5 arrived, I felt much better! Tired and not able to sleep but I was completely comfortable.

Hope you continue to post. Ask questions. Whatever you need. We'll try to help. Have you found and read the Thomas Recipe? It's a list of vitamins and supplements that can help some of the symptoms. It does include benzos but unless you've already been taking them, don't begin now. All the other items are easily found at the grocery store, pharmacy, GNC or Walmart. Remember to drink as much as you can and eat a protein rich diet.

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35 likes this.

therealnursejackie is offline New Member

Thank you all so, so much. It feels good to not be alone in this battle. And that's exactly what it is. The past couple of days have been rocky to say the least. Mostly just super tired, keeping a headache, a little nausea and anxiousness. I bought a lot of the supplements a few months ago when I first started to stop. I have a Rx for as needed Xanax and they take the nervous feeling a way. I also have old scripts for Zofran and Bentyl in case I need them. I forgot to mention I'm a mother to a 4 year old and it's been hard to keep up, but this is for him as much as it is for me. I'm a week Marijuana free and so if I can do that, them I know I can do this. It's the mental addiction that keeps getting to me. I have to attend a funeral tomorrow of a friend who was also a heavy drug user at one time. He had been clean and sober for years and I'm hoping in a weird way this will give me some encouragement. I've seen him at his worst and he was in such a good place. Unfortunately he passed from a massive heart attack. I had a friend tell me today that just because he didn't die from his addiction, he still died with it. It's scary to think this is my life now. Knowing that I will always be mentally fighting this disease. Thanks again for the encouragement. I will try to keep you guys updated.
    Catrina and Gilsmom like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Thank you all so, so much. It feels good to not be alone in this battle. And that's exactly what it is. The past couple of days have been rocky to say the least. Mostly just super tired, keeping a headache, a little nausea and anxiousness. I bought a lot of the supplements a few months ago when I first started to stop. I have a Rx for as needed Xanax and they take the nervous feeling a way. I also have old scripts for Zofran and Bentyl in case I need them. I forgot to mention I'm a mother to a 4 year old and it's been hard to keep up, but this is for him as much as it is for me. I'm a week Marijuana free and so if I can do that, them I know I can do this. It's the mental addiction that keeps getting to me. I have to attend a funeral tomorrow of a friend who was also a heavy drug user at one time. He had been clean and sober for years and I'm hoping in a weird way this will give me some encouragement. I've seen him at his worst and he was in such a good place. Unfortunately he passed from a massive heart attack. I had a friend tell me today that just because he didn't die from his addiction, he still died with it. It's scary to think this is my life now. Knowing that I will always be mentally fighting this disease. Thanks again for the encouragement. I will try to keep you guys updated.
    You know what jumped off the page at me from this post? That a friend told you "Just because he didn't die from his addiction, he still died with it". It's true that once we cross the line into addiction, we will be an addict for life. However, you said it yourself. The friend who just passed was in a really good place. That statement is a part of the stigma that society lays on addiction and the negative connotation isn't fair. I've been clean for over 7 1/2 years and yes, I am an addict. BUT I am not an active addict so aside from continuing to work my recovery and to be always diligent my addiction does not rule my life anymore. In fact, I'm a better person and all-around better than I was preaddiction. I wouldn't recommend it as a means to improve one's life but we can recover and it's an opportunity to change lots of things about ourselves that we don't necessarily like. It's a time that we can really look at our issues--and we all have them--and to work them out. The result is that we are free enough of the baggage to learn how to be truly happy and at peace.

It's no secret that the mental part of recovery is the most difficult but the important fact is is that it is possible. You can turn this around and you'll come out the other side even better if you put your mind to it.

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.

Peace,

Cat
    Gilsmom likes this.

Gilsmom is offline Member

Hi Jackie!
    I'm sorry about your friend!
    Congrats to you on your journey!! I know the fear you're talking about and I think you're pretty much through the worst of it! I found it wasn't as bad as I built it up in my head... Not to say it was a walk in the park either but getting through those first 5 days or so was big. Looks like you're getting there and doing good!! Definitely look at your 4 year old and use him as your inspiration to keep fighting the fight!! This is where you have to start really digging in... The mental part is crazy sometimes and your brain will try to tell you some crazy things!! Like.. Well.. One won't hurt!! And next thing you know you're right back at it! That's where I am now ... Believe me when I say there is no just one... Ricky on here has a great quote he uses often... One is too many and a thousand is never enough! I think that's right. Anyway... Keep posting and congrats on joining the fight!!
    Stay strong!!
    Mary

gomphrena is offline Junior Member

Jackie, I noticed since this last post almost 7 months ago, there's been no activity on your thread. How are you doing?

david1005 is offline New Member

I was using about 4-5 pills a day, tried to stop. The medicine is capable of causing a number of withdrawal reactions especially if you have been using high doses from a long time