After 35yrs, It's Way Past Due. Part 1
    Morphed__Out is offline New Member

Post After 35yrs, It's Way Past Due. Part 1

Thats right, 35yrs i've been on pain killers. It Started in 1980 when I blew out L4 while lifting a heavy object. after several visits to many Dr's it was determined that L4 had ruptured and my only resort to PAIN relief was an L4-L5 spinal fusion. up to this point, the pain I was in left me bed ridden so I was desperate for pain relief so I could carry on a normal life..WRONG!! being in my early 20's I had no idea what was about to change my life FOREVER..

Before I go into how i ended up here on this forum. heres what I'm currently taking for pain (Prescribed by a Dr)

MSIR 30mg tabs, 2 every 6hrs (thats 240mg a day) and have been on the very same dose for 15yrs. it's the only med I have no side effects from and believe me the list is long of what I took before.. this is just a partial list..
    ASA 300/Codeine 60mg tabs, 2 every 6hrs, (1982-1990) then, Codeine 60mg/325mg APAP 2 every 6hrs (1990-1998), then Pure Codeine 60mg tabs...As you can imagine, I suffered from Aspirin tearing up my stomach walls for a long time, then switched to Tylenol which game me Acetaminophen poising..I had to find something new for moderate-sever pain.

Dec 7 1981 (of all days lol) I had my surgery. I thought hey, once I get thru the next few months of learning to walk again and getting my back in shape, the rest will be smooth sailing. Man I was so wrong..During the next few months of my recovery, I had several bad falls due to my back muscles having spasms. The Dr said it was all in my head and to keep exercising which I did.. fast forward 1 yr when he released me to go back to work even tho my pain level had not improved during this time. I was told to see a new Dr for my pain control which I did, thats where the Codeine Addiction started ugggg. I do have REAL pain so I'm not fooling myself, Xrays show this injured area, BUT I hate like hell having to take any pain meds as I knew the addiction would be very real and a bit*h to come off of..

March 11th 1987.. I get hit with Meningicoccal Meningitis. I survived 72hrs with a full onslaught.. most people who get hit with this die in 4-6hrs. how the hell I made it 72hrs only God knows for sure. After 3 weeks in ICU overcoming severe nerve damage all over my body (lost index finger, scarred over 70% of my body, I don't sweat properly, Immune system is shot to hell, the list is way to long), needless to say I'm a wreck, but I still keep pressing forward every day 1 step at a time, 1 day at a time..

I am proud of myself for never having to ask the Dr for an increase in my med and ive never abused it even to this day. it's only taken when the pain exceeds my ability to think. Now after these last 15years of being on MSIR, I'm just so done with this >>>>.. I realized from the very beginning that the level of meds I used was quite strong, but intense pain has a funny way of justifying it eh?..

Fast forward to this last year (2014). My PCP told me what was coming down the pike with regards to script meds and the DEA's relentless pursuit of those who use it, be it legal or not. I knew all this time my use of MSIR was verifiably justified due to my past medical problems, thus the reason why I never had much trouble getting a Dr to prescribe such a strong dose. My Dr told me that I needed to start preparing for other alternatives as it was becomming to risky on his part to keep it up even tho I was legal/justified to take it..

continued...

Part 2...

I started to prepare by backing off my dose sloooooowly. rather than 2 every 6hrs as needed, I was taking 2 every 8-10hrs as needed, then every 12hrs, then back to 8-10hrs.. I did this for a few months to see how my system handled the slight reduction. It wasn't bad, but I sure felt it and it wasn't good. I knew if i didnt save a few for the end I would be sorry, esp since the day was fast approaching when my Dr would Retire and I would be forced to find a new Dr which is impossible out here nowdays with what I'm taking.

Low in behold here comes March/2015 and BOOM my Dr tells me he's retiring next month. I had felt this coming but was still shocked thinking now what? he did give me a 3 month script so I could maintain my pain control while finding a new Dr. turns out the other Dr in the same building agreed to keep seeing me, only I knew he wasn't one of those Dr's who would prescribe my meds. the nurse their told me I'd be OK, but I had that FEELING things were about to go south and FAST..

Sure as hell it did too. the first time I saw him 3 months later (June) he told me he didnt approve of my prior Dr's scripts and for me to go to a pain clinic. (gawd dont get me started on those CORRUPT places). after a horrible experience at the PC, I had to prepare at a rapid pace for what would be the beginning stages of W/D's.. I had prepared as best as I could for what I knew would be a long road and a very miserable one..

July/2015 I begin to back off my med at a faster rate, 2 every 8hrs for a few days, then 9hrs for a few days, then 10hrs for a few days, then 1 every 8hrs etc.. I'm down to just 2-3 a day (60-90mg) >> (240mg a day) and slowly going to 2 a day then 1 a day then BYE BYE MSIR. youve been nothing but a royal PIMA both physically and psychologically for too long..

I havent figured out what I'll do to keep my pain under control for the future, I just know that this >>>> has to go. think outside the box? possibly. hmmmm

Ive read many many posts here and i'm extremely grateful I did. some of you have gone thru hell "to say the least" and are still here to help others. just AWESOME. I hope my journey will be a little smoother since I saw this coming and started on my own to back off the med.. I have a very strong will and have already felt many of the WD effects (RLS, hot/cold sweats, no sleep<<HUGE ONE, irritated, restless etc etc), but ive weathered thru them so far.. it's been 2 weeks since the drastic cut back, but i'm hell bent on seeing this thru, just hope I can finish it all the way.. i'm so sick of meds it makes my skin crawl. I have enough issues going on without this >>>> impeding me. just the daily struggle of living with the residual effects from Meningitis is overwhelming in itself..

PS, awesome forum

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Incredible story. Do keep us informed of your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Incredible story. Do keep us informed of your progress!
    I will indeed. I'm not threw this yet, still have to kick these last 2 im taking. i'm hoping I can taper to the point that WD won't be too bad. I have my fingers crossed..