Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tigertattoo
Am I in withdrawal or liver failure...Tiger's fresh start.
    Tigertattoo is offline New Member

Default Am I in withdrawal or liver failure...Tiger's fresh start.

It's been 10 hours since my last dose. I guess let me say I'm pretty much a human trash can for substances. I was addicted to a street drug from south of the border, and got clean. Hooked on alcohol, got sober. All that time, since I was 14, I've worked hard physically demanding jobs. At the age of 32, with no chemicals in me, I found out I had a pretty wrecked back. I knew right then and there what time it was and I didn't do anything to stop it..... Now I'm almost 34, my wife and I are both addicted and fighting over pills, hiding them from each other, destroying our marriage for a lousy pathetic high.

Not anymore, I've been here before and I know how to get back....

I've been reading the other forum threads and decided to start my own because I don't have access to NA where I am, I'm hoping a friend of Jimmy K or Bill is out there tonight, I miss the rooms, especially being dope sick next to my dope sick wife.

Man, it hasn't even been 24 hours yet, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder if it's not liver failure. Pain killers weren't that big when i first got clean, and I always wanted to go up so I never messed with them. This is way worse than my last narcotic detox, I feel like Ripley at the end of Alien when the little baby alien explodes out of her....that while being mildly electrocuted. . ...FML, I swear to God if I live through the next 5 days there will never be another pill in my house again, EVER!!!!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Tiger,

Looks like you've got quite the history. 15 yrs or so with a variety of substances. How long since you've been done drinking? What kind of opiates were you most recently taking and how much/day? That will help some of us to try and figure this out. What symptoms are you experiencing that makes you worry about your liver? You know, probably that this is a possibility and the only way to know for sure is to get some blood work. Any methadone or subs involved recently? Man I feel badly for you. Sounds like you want to be done with this but how about your wife? Is she in this for the right reasons or because you're on board and she is stuck in detox because of that. That's an important question because two detoxing at the same time is a train wreck at best but most especially when one of you is committed and the other is along for the ride.

Give us a bit more info and there will be others along to support and give you some good advice. Detox sucks but unless you've been messing with the methadone or subs that have a much longer half life, the worst of this will be over in about five days--at least the physical ugliness. Let's just get to the other side of detox and then your recovery will really begin. More on that later, just try to hang tough for now. Once you're past this, please make a doctor's appointment for blood work. You'll feel better if it turns out you haven't fried your liver. I doubt things will get worse with that over the next few days. Just get past detox, whatever it takes. Did you look for and find the Thomas Recipe on this Forum? There are some things that may help some of your symptoms. Immodium will be among your best friends right now! Be sure to try to eat and drink as much as you can. Try to get some walking in. Even small frequent amounts of exercise will help! Sleep. Yeah awful. Melatonin (over the counter) and Sleepy Time Tea might help. I tried that and it didn't put me out but did help to relax me. Avoid the benzos if you can. If you absolutely must, try ONE at night to try and get some sleep for ONLY the next few days and then stop. They are a nightmare if you become dependent upon those so it's best to keep your distance from those.

Keep us posted. This is hard stuff and you'll get support and advice. Post often and read as much as you can. You'll learn lots, most especially that it's possible. Oh yeah! Restless legs (almost killed me!) Hylands Restless Leg (also over the counter) helps some people. I had two heating pads set on low wrapped around each leg and it really did help. Hot baths and showers. If the water had stayed hot enough, I may have spent the entire five days laying in the tub--if I could have stayed still that long.

Peace,

Cat

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Cat is right, the only way to know the condition of your liver is bloodwork. If you have any signs of jaundice you need to go in immediately.

Good morning guys. Thanks for the replys. We both got some sleep last night but this morning we felt rough to say the least. I haven't had any jaundice yet and that's really the standard for liver failure. Yes we're both on board to get clean, but truthfully I'm the worst of 5he two of us. My wife is okay, but we started fussing almost immediately. ..the hard thing is that I know I can call my guy and the misery will be over....guess that's my 1st reservation, dope man's phone number. I don't do b3nzos but I have before, not going that road...miserable and sluggish, no thanks. But the anxiety is really messing with my heart. I got clean from Crack at 26, sober at 31, started using pills pretty soon after. My wife has fibromyalgia and I have 6 herniated disc, pinched nerves, and several other chronic issues. I don't have insurance so I went to her doctor who prescribed 120 Norco 10s to both of us each month. For awhile, it was fine, then after the laws changed, he pUT us both on Tylenol 4. Let me also say that we were involved in sharing medicine with her mom and 2 sisters who got the same thing except one got perc 30s. After the law changed, we started scamming the dentist and whoever else we could, we started buying off the street, and I started using methadone because of the half life. We both have legitimate pain issues...that's what makes this so hard...I'm familiar with a lot of the Tx you've described, and Ill check out the Thomas recipe. It meant the world to me to see yall's response this morning. What do yall think about tramadol,is that prolonging the misery? Thanks again guys...

Btw, my amounts and why I worried about liver damage: Tylenol 4. Up to 50 a day,
    Percocet up to 120 mg per day
    Methadone up to 160 mg per day
    Norco up to 250 mg per day

These amounts are for a single substance and not consistent every day. But when we had the money or the pills, that is how much I would do...the acetaminophen is what really worries me.

Just stopping in, detox is going as well as can be expected, getting ready for the week ahead, hope everyone had a good 4th of July.
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

The one thing of that list that worries me the most is the Tylenol. That's pretty massive. Stay away from the Tramadol. They have moved that up too to a higher Schedule drug. In spite of what everyone believed, it is addictive. Honestly, I tried a few of those during one of my many detoxes and it didn't do enough to alleviate any symptom to make it worthwhile. Better to just stay away from them. You for sure know that picking up a drug to get off of another simply won't work. This sobriety thing is all or nothing. It's the way our brain works--we want relief. There are those that will drink or smoke some weed to get through detox and manage to pick up another habit. You're just going to have to come to terms that you have to walk through detox and work your recovery in order to stay sober. It's pretty good once you get here, by the way. I'm 5-1/2 years clean after nearly 20 yrs of using and I'm so glad I'm out of the chase!

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-05-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Wow, I feel alive today!!! I got some great rest last night, and woke only once. Still a little nausea, but other than that I'm pretty motivated today. As for the tramadol, that's pretty much what I figured. And you're right, substitution never works. Anyway, I'll check in with you guys later today...

Nynia is offline New Member

Reading some of your thread I can tell you PLEASE stay away from Tramadol. That is what the doctor gave both myself & husband for back/knee problems because we are addicts. Never once were we told it was addicting, we were actually told it was impossible because of the non-narcotic. We started taking so many we were buying a 180c bottle off the internet every 5 days from many different companies. Even when we both were out of work & on unemployment we somehow bought the pills yet let the bills go. Why my doctor ever gave me suboxone to get off tramadols I will never know, but even though I am going crazy I say try & stick it out. I honestly feel great being able to say I am 8 days sober after 7 years of drug use.

Thx nynia, we are staying away from it. We're both feeling much better today. We did the Thomas recipe except Methocarbamol instead of valium. Really only had 2 really bad days so far, but I've heard some ppl do feel better at 3 and 4, then bad again at 5 and 6. Glad to hear you're doing well, thx for the post

Nynia is offline New Member

Day 2,3,&6 really were bad for me. Today I felt so good it was almost like normal & throughout the day I started feeling high anxiety again. I had been so happy because time actually didn't stand still & now it's back to creeping. I think I am getting self worked up over my flight on the 8th & that I don't know how to shut off. I'm glad you two are feeling better, going back home to the chaos of my house with a husband going through same as self has me scared we'll feed off each other

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there..
    Congratulations to all of you..
    Usually by day 5 the worst is over..
    But each day clean is not perfect either..
    Sometimes we forget
    That not only were we using
    We are aging
    So we really have to take good care of ourselves..
    That is why the Thomas Receipe is so good..
    Minus the benzo..

I have been off sub 5+ months
    And off
    Methadone 13 months.
    And I still take the supplements..
    It makes me feel like I am doing something else good for myself..
    Drinking lots of water
    And
    Exercise is key..
    It helps get the natural endorphins flowing again..

Take care
    Bette

Water is crucial for me!!! Today is day 4 for me, had a decent nights rest last night, my wife feels better, both of us seem to be returning to normal, but both of us are hurting. The challenge for us is maintaining a high level of activity regardless of pain. That's making a huge difference I think...one day at a time.

Tiger,

Give it some time. I promise, my experience and that of many, many of us here is that immediately after detox our pain level escalates. And it does! Over the counter stuff (that's safe because of your liver concerns) will help some. Stick with this. What happens to almost all of us is that with some time your brain chemicals will begin to retrigger and take care of much of that pain that seems almost unbearable right now. I wouldn't lie to you. When I was newly clean, people would tell me that and I would think, "Yeah right! With the dose of opiates I was on, what in the h ll is some Motrin going to do?" I'm over 5 years! Yes (YAY me!). I have some legitimate medical issues too and now I reach for the Aleve. It takes some clean time before you can really assess the extent of your pain. Time. Are you sick of hearing that word? I know I was in the beginning. Time? I'm sick of waiting. That's was sent me to relapse over and over again. This time, (oops, that word again) I gritted my teeth, white knuckled it and my hopelessness turned into pride.

You'll get there. Try to be patient. It doesn't happen overnight or this would be easy and we all know it's not.

Peace,

Cat

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Over the counter stuff (that's safe because of your liver concerns) will help some.
    Cat means: "Over the counter stuff that's safe, because of your liver concerns."

Not: "Over the counter stuff. That's safe, because of your liver concerns."

Just sayin. I would stay away from acetaminophen completely. Stick with low doses of NSAIDS or even better, topical formulas like Voltaren or non-narcotic patches that contain lidocaine, although those things need prescriptions.