• 2 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By drynwarm
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
coming off codeine
    drynwarm is offline New Member

Default coming off codeine

Hi everyone,

I currently take 44mg/day (2x22mg) of codeine. It's been this way for about a year.

I'm finding it extremely hard to reduce the dosage, but have come down about 7mg/day so far. Hurting a lot, physically and emotionally.

I'm hoping to reduce by 7-8mg every month,so it might take 6 months all up. Is this realistic?

Also, how does the brain ever cope with not having the drug? I don't understand how tolerance works and how the brain recovers.

Thanks for the help.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drynwarm View Post
    Hi everyone,

I currently take 44mg/day (2x22mg) of codeine. It's been this way for about a year.

I'm finding it extremely hard to reduce the dosage, but have come down about 7mg/day so far. Hurting a lot, physically and emotionally.

I'm hoping to reduce by 7-8mg every month,so it might take 6 months all up. Is this realistic?

Also, how does the brain ever cope with not having the drug? I don't understand how tolerance works and how the brain recovers.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum!

You might receive more responses if you copy and paste your post in the Need to Talk section of the forums. Much for traffic in that section. Of course it's perfectly ok to leave it right here too, it's up to you.

For the Codeine - Be thankful your habit isn't one that's huge. In the world of drug addiction and dependance taking 44mgs a day isn't that large of a habit. I'm sure it is to you, and getting off is the same no matter how high of a dose one is taking.

You finding it difficult to reduce your dose sounds about right. It's extremely difficult to taper narcotics and opiates. One reason is it takes an enourmous amount of willpower to follow a schedule of tapering. Another reason is you have the drug around and can easily take more anytime you want when symptoms get rough as you lower your dose. Your head begins messing with you making you believe you need more of the drug. It's just very difficult to taper any drug all the way down to nothing. I'm NOT saying it can't be done because many have accomplished it successfully. It's just a fight from start to finish.

IN MY OPINION it might be best if you just stopped cold turkey and be done with it. You'll have about a weeks worth of acute symptoms with days 2-4 usually being the worst of it. Then the days get better and better. Again, the mental approach to this is the more difficult aspect to overcome. It's just flat out hard, but you can do it if you want it bad enough.

As for your current taper plan of reducing your dose by 7-8mg every month. That's fine, but probably slower than it needs to be. You should be able to reduce by 2-4mg every 4-7 days and be ok. Be a little more aggressive with it. But whether you taper or stop CT it's going to take you wanting it more than anything else in the world to be successful.

To answer your other question about tolerance - My definition of tolerance is: Tolerance is a person's reduced response to a drug, which occurs when the drug is used repeatedly and the body adapts to the continued presence of the drug.

Your brain will heal with TIME spent off the drug. I spent almost 18 years of my life abusing drugs of every kind. I took anything and everything you can think of to get high. My life was in shambles, and my head was so messed up I didn't think it could ever recover. I was living in a fog for so long. I was just barely existing. But I did recover (over 3 years clean) and I'm now living life clean and free of the chains of addiction.

As the late Robert325 (a long time member here) always said....this is a process and not an event. So, so true. Your first step is to get off anyway you can. The next, and perhaps more difficult part is to REMAIN off. For me that took meetings of NA and AA. Counseling and therapy is also beneficial, anything in the way of face to face support to hold you accountable.

I hope you come back and post often. We're here to help and support you through this journey.

Randy
    Catrina and Sharon541979 like this.

drynwarm is offline New Member

Thanks Randy.

I have found some old Seroquel tablets and it turns out if I take a miniscule spec of this, it helps a lot. So far this morning I have taken just that tiny spec of seroquel (which made me fall asleep for an hour) and no codeine. The pain is bearable, compared to unbearable. I figure that's a good thing since seroquel is much less addicitve. Some say it's non-addicitve, but either way it's better than codeine. I'll take a small amount of codeine tonight and consider a faster tapering if it allows me.

As for the other stuff, I just have to start succeeding in life and finding love because I know that can fill in the gap. Once the gap is filled I don't think I'll feel any desire to use codeine again. That's the plan.
    Randy35 and Sharon541979 like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drynwarm View Post
    Thanks Randy.

I have found some old Seroquel tablets and it turns out if I take a miniscule spec of this, it helps a lot. So far this morning I have taken just that tiny spec of seroquel (which made me fall asleep for an hour) and no codeine. The pain is bearable, compared to unbearable. I figure that's a good thing since seroquel is much less addicitve. Some say it's non-addicitve, but either way it's better than codeine. I'll take a small amount of codeine tonight and consider a faster tapering if it allows me.

As for the other stuff, I just have to start succeeding in life and finding love because I know that can fill in the gap. Once the gap is filled I don't think I'll feel any desire to use codeine again. That's the plan.

You're welcome!

We're here to help and support you through your journey off the Codeine. Please continue to update your progress.

Randy
    Sharon541979 likes this.

bildad is offline New Member

I'm inclined to agree with Randy. I never understood tapering because it prolongs the pain. And it keeps you with product in your hands. Ask your Doc if you're healthy enough to CT. If so dive in. 44mg a day should'nt be too rough. Maybe 5 or 6 days. Get some of those soft moist butt wipes as you'll have the squirts. Drink lots of water and Gatorade. Take a good strong multi-vitamin and a multi-min. Also omega 3&6 are good for detox. Hot baths or showers help with the muscle/bone pain. Good luck and keep the faith. Even this shall pass!

Anonymous Guest

I agree about the time table with your taper. (Say that 3 times fast :-)) You can reduce a bit quicker than that! Maybe even stick to the 7-8mg, but make it weekly instead of monthly?!

I'm currently tapering off tramadol. I started at 600 mg about 20 days ago and am down to 150mg. It's really not that bad. I tried to drop down every 3-4 days, because that works for my body. Then plan is to jump off and see what my pain levels truly are!

One thing I've learned here is that sometimes the pain may be minimal or non existing, but we keep upping and upping our dose and masking the underlying issues. Often these pills will create more pain! I have lupus and arthritis and am truly under siege every day. I am just tired of all the counting, the sneaking, the excuses, the fake euphoria I get, the aches when your body hasn't had its fix cause you slept too late. I would rather cope with pain, than live like a junkie. That's what I feel like many days...a plain old junkie.

Hope you stay in touch and can find some comfort and support here during this process!

K
    Sharon541979 likes this.