Coming off painkillers...again
    Scottie8033 is offline New Member

Default Coming off painkillers...again

This is my 4th or 5th time in the past 2 years of kicking. I worked construction for 10 years. My back is in a lot of pain when I work, but during the winter, I always come off painkillers cuz I don't need them.

I am tired of this cycle and have found it harder to stop each time.

2 failed relationships, my doc put me on adderral and Xanax. They worked great...til they didn't. Then I went and found the opiates again.

I'm on day 3 coming off. Craving tons sugar, drinking juice tho and B6. One hat bath. Zero socializing. Barely taking adderral. Running out of Xanax. And I know that benzos are hard to kick too.

Any recommendations? Do I need rehab??

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie8033 View Post
    This is my 4th or 5th time in the past 2 years of kicking. I worked construction for 10 years. My back is in a lot of pain when I work, but during the winter, I always come off painkillers cuz I don't need them.

I am tired of this cycle and have found it harder to stop each time.

2 failed relationships, my doc put me on adderral and Xanax. They worked great...til they didn't. Then I went and found the opiates again.

I'm on day 3 coming off. Craving tons sugar, drinking juice tho and B6. One hat bath. Zero socializing. Barely taking adderral. Running out of Xanax. And I know that benzos are hard to kick too.

Any recommendations? Do I need rehab??
    Scottie, if you don't get much response here I would recommend that you move this thread to the "Need To Talk" forum, there is alot more traffic in that forum and alot of knowledgeable people that will be able to help you along! What's your xanax usage, how long have you been using and how much per day? If you have been on xanax for a while and been taking it consistently at high dosage then I would advise you to be very careful and not to quit cold turkey. Not only are benzos hard to quit as you already mentioned but they are also very dangerous when coming off them, they can cause seizures and other serious issues! You have to very slowly ween off them over time. Do a online search for the Ashton Manual? Best of luck to you. Take care... God bless us all!

ItsPossible is offline Member

Hey Scottie,
    This isn't your first rodeo so I know you know that the physical stuff is nothing compared to the mental.
    I would suggest AA/NA meetings for the support you'll need to stay sober.
    If you can go to rehab for longer than the detox time that why not? I wish I would have take the opportunity my first time. You're right, it does get harder. Mentally, it gets harder.
    But good news is that this is the time for change. We are done grieving our past. We are longing for something more.
    It does get better, the lesson will be learned when it is time.
    SO for now, hang in there, keep up your protein with shakes, your dopamine with exercise, and your spirit with music and writing.
    It can be lonely but maybe sitting at rock bottom is necessary for us to never want to be there again.
    WE are here for you Scottie.
    Love and LIght
    Butterfly xxoo

kate_31 is offline New Member

Hey there, hows your sleeping been? Exercise helps a great deal! Believe me when I say you don't want to be addicted to benzodiazepines.....they are a lot harder to kick than opiates! If you get RLS have warm baths and walk bare footed on a cold floor, I find a hot wattle bottle on your legs help! Try Imodium for tummy troubles! I've been weaning of codeine I was on 96-100 a day of Nurofen plus now I'm on 12 a day (3 every 4 hours) its torture I miss my sleep!! Stay strong! Kat.