On day 2 of Vicodin withdrawl.
    gkaz is offline New Member

Default On day 2 of Vicodin withdrawl.

I had a major back surgery about 16 months ago and was placed on Oxcontin, Oxycodone, and Valium. Since then I have stepped down if you call it to Vicodin and was taking about 60mg a day for the past 3 months. I made the decision Monday night that the ride is over and I will not be calling in any more refills. Monday I took 3 doses of 1/2 pill to taper a bit and took the last one at Midnight Monday. I am 36 hours into my detox and this is the worst I have felt in a long time. To be honest it is diificult to think and type I am so uncomfortable. I hurt all over, sneeze, ache, and my emotions are going wild. I cry hysterically at the drop of a hat and have never done so before. My wife doesn't understand what I am going through in the least. How bad is this going to get? I am very scared but also very committed. My heart rate and anxiety were so bad I called my doc and he gave me some clonidine which have helped a bit.

Default noone?

At hour 56 and my hands are really trembling. Is this normal? My anxiety is off the chart and I worry about everything to the extent that it brings me to tears. My legs jerk at night and I am guessing this is the rls I read about. walking to the bathroom my legs feel as if I have walked a marathon. What day will things turn around considering my usage of 60 mg of hydro a day? I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth!!

istrvler is offline Member

IT gets better with time I am no expert my wife and I decided to stop cold turkey on Tuesday so we are day 3 still not feeling well but we slept last night. We both have medical need for the pills and they are prescribed but we were not adhering to the prescribed amount. Our hands were forced we ran out and our doc is on vacation until next Thursday. We were going to call my wife' surgeon for more but have a contract with our Doc and didn't want to violate it. When we realized we were taking an average of 10 percs a day and 4 oxymorphones we new we were not just taking them for our medical needs and were addicts. As I said this is day three day 1 was horrible I had to work through it was not easy runs, shaking, sneezing, stomach cramps, restless legs, Day two was worse no sleep on the night of day one at all and on day 2 I felt like I was run over by a truck. My wife was worse and once again I had to work but my wife didn't get off the couch all day. The symptoms I described above got 10 times worse. Got sleep last night feel a little better to day morning of day three. Still have the runs and stomach cramps but not as bad, hang in there push through and if you need I will check back here to talk to you. It is not worth the relapse cause we would have to go through this all again. Keep with it you strong just by the fact your doing it. Just think by next week we will be our old selves and be able to hold our heads high again and look into the eyes of our (well I have kids) kids again. Can't believe I became an addict been on these foe four years now. Remember after the physical symptoms go away from what I have read our minds will play tricks on us and we will crave the drugs we have to be strong so lets be strong together.

istrvlr thank you for the reply. At hour 79 now. Yes, I am counting hours not days. Slept a bit last night but woke up numerous times because of restless legs and arms. They are unbearable. One good thing is that without the pills I now know my back pain is manageable. I didn't know what it really felt like after the surgery since I had been on pills so long. I do not have a craving for the pills, Im not sure if that sounds strange but I haven't even thought of taking anymore to make this go away. I just want to get through this. The mental aspect like anxiety is killing me now. Feels like my spirit is being crushed and I can cry at the drop of a hat. Before it would take a significant event to break me down. Now I am mentally fragile and I do not like this at all. I am sure it is the w/d and I only hope the feelings fade soon. Physically my runs, nausea, and pains seem to be getting a bit less. Taking out the trash still feels like my legs have walked a marathon but I think it does help. I hope I am over the hump and can finish this through the weekend. I don't know how people endure this multiple times but it has shed new light on how easy it can be to relapse. It is a painful experience physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Can't give up or give in. I'm not sure I could do this again.

I am not emotional but I have to work though this and have a project due today, so have to push through. My worse symptoms are the restlessness and stomach cramps. I have to tell you if I had a pill or two I would take them don't know how I am going to get this project done. As far as you spirit from what I understand that is the W/d. I will be on most of the day and will look for you if this posting helps. I know it helps to write about it. Get outside and walk around I did that yesterday and sat out in the sun for a while and it did make me feel better. Did sleep but it was a horrible sleep but at this point I will take any sleep. Worried about my wife she had is a lot worse than I did yesterday and was sleeping when I left for work. This is something we all need support to do so don't hesitate to post.

You and your wife can get through this. From what I understand the worst is over or close to being over. We have come this far and need to stay the course and finish what we started. No way I want to start this process again. I understand about the project as I have had a difficult time working this week. I am fortunate that I work from home. Not sure I could work if I had to go to a job place. I do try to walk and it helps temporarily. Showers feel very good. Cant sit still enough to try and relax with a movie or anything. Trying to describe what I am going through to my wife is useless. I don't think it is a process that can be explained other than having the experience yourself.

I am running a very slight fever, 99.2. I hope this is due to the withdrawls and don't have something else going on.

If it makes you feel better both my wife and I are running low grade fevers since we quit. if it goes over 100 then it might mean something, your probably suffering from rapid pulse and other similar ailments just hang in there.

Thanks, that is reassuring. the highest it has gotten was 99.5. Nothing too severe. Perhaps my anxiety is just getting out of control. At hour 86 now and legs feel a little bit better. I hope I am over the hump on this thing. The doctors never mentioned how bad this would be for me. They told me I would feel like I had the flu. What an understatement!!

No problem I have gotten a lot of help here glad I could pay back a little bit. I have never had a flu like this, and funny enough when I did they put me on codeine to make me feel better. Irony in that I know. We stopped Tuesday afternoon so really Wednesday so we are at hour 68 and I feel horrible. Went out and got all the supplements for the Thomas Recipe but this afternoon after a long 90 minute presentation in front of about 30 people the w/d symptoms kicked in big time probably stress. At least I am home now and its nice out so God I hope I feel a little better tomorrow this is no fun but did it to my self so have to pay the piper. Guess its a blessing in disguise cause I am not going back and go through this again.

made it through day 4. RLS was awful last night but I did manage to get some sleep. Stomach cramps are still here a bit but have subsided. I am still very shaky and anxious. The mental aspect of this is extremely difficult. I am hoping day 5 brings some energy, I just haven't felt like doing anything at all because my legs feel like lead.

Day 4 starts for us today I feel better right now was the same as you last night rls cramping and my shoulders were killing me don't know if they really hurt that bad or my brain wants the pills. Hang in there we are all going to make it through this. Don't know what the weather is by you but I felt like you did yesterday and just sitting outside in the fresh air helped a little.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Gkaz: You're doing good. You're about through with the physical part of w/d. Try some gatorade and hyland's restful leg for the cramping. Don't forget to stay hydrated and to stay away from sugar and energy drinks. You're going good, for the lead feeling try to get as much exercise as you're able to: take a walk, that is the best medicine for getting through w/d. You've got this!!

Peace,

Iloerose

Bama0774 is offline New Member

Yes life is so much better without pills!! There is no high better than a natural high on life!! I myself became addicted after a very bad atv accident, after several failed relapses this year I had enough and on my birthday I stopped!! I did use kratom for the first 4 days, along with Imodium ad, but after that its all a mental thing to deal with!! I read and read this forum for months before I ever even joined, but its one of the best choices I ever made!! So any great people to just listen to you vent and offer support!! God bless you all

Physically I feel much better now and getting some sleep. RLS is intermittent but improving. I am still having anxiety issues that are awful. I am hoping to be done with all of this in a few more weeks. Got outside a lot this weekend which really helped.

Day 7 for us no sleep for me. Sounds like your doing great. Working is tough big time week this week so no rest for the addicted. Stay strong

shawn156 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by gkaz View Post
    Physically I feel much better now and getting some sleep. RLS is intermittent but improving. I am still having anxiety issues that are awful. I am hoping to be done with all of this in a few more weeks. Got outside a lot this weekend which really helped.
    The anxiety issues are what usually draw people back in because they can be hard to handle. Don't go back to it just for the anxiety problems. That will pass and you'll feel better soon. Good Job to both for getting off the meds.

The Husband is offline Member

gkaz you got it hours 72-96 are the worst people just get in such a daze during w/d days blend. The RLS and anxiety are usually the last things to go away. My theory on RLS is that opiates relax your veins heartbeat breathing etc, so i think veins in your extremities constrict and this is why the pain in legs and arms can be extreme.

winnie1221 is offline New Member

I'm on Day 2 today. I really feel like I have been hit by a bus. The doctor gave me meds to take the edge off of the symptoms (clonidine, Celebrex, and one other that is for stomach spasms)...I guess it's taking the edge off but I'm still throwing up and can't eat much (fever got up to 102). I have to be at work all day and then take my little ones to gymnastics/ I'm scared that it will get worse before it gets better. I took them for 6 months for a herniated disc...weaned down to 4 a day and then quit cold turkey. When did you all who quit start feeling normal again?

It was about day 5 that I physically started feeling better. The emotional aspect was very hard for me and I still have anxiety but it is getting better. The first 5 days for me minutes seemed like hours and the fevers scared me a bit. It DOES get better. Day 2 is a big accomplishment so do not go back to the pills. You are 2 days closer. Still sneeze a bit but rls, cramping and insomnia are few and far between now. A rough ride but well worth being off the pills. Do not give in you are almost there.

Winnie: I was right with you, felt like death warmed over and I had to work as well. Worked every day during the first 10 days except days 4 & 5 so I know what your going through. All I can say is it will get better but it is going to take a little time. I did have an advantage you don't and that was that my wife was in the same condition I was in as we both quit c/t the same day. Days 1 -5 were the worse and then things started to get a little better. Make sure you look up the Thomas Recipe we adhered to it religiously except for the benzos cause we had no access to them and our doctor was out of town so we had no where to go (actually it was a blessing he was gone or we would have never quit in the first place and we would still be in the pill fog we lived in for so long). We are 23 days into recovery now and have a long way to go but the physical pain of w/d really disappeared between days 7 and 10 for us. Remember we jumped from high dose long term usage so it might not be as bad for you we were taking up to 10 10mg/3225 Percocet and 4-6 oxymorphone as day for years and jumped cold turkey to 0, we were not heroes or courageous we were forced into it our doctor was out of town and we had no access to pills. I will tell you that hot hot hot showers helped as did forcing ourselves to walk and get some exercise there is nothing to be gained by sitting on the couch having a pity party although we did have plenty during the first 2 weeks. I am still suffering from insomnia but the restless legs syndrome is finally going away, but I have been told sleep is the last thing that comes back so I will just wait it out. The thing I am fighting now are cravings my brain keeps telling me I have this under control now, my shoulders and neck are really hurting and my brain keeps saying to get a couple of pills when it gets real bad, no way I know I am an addict if I were to get my normal script I would probably eat all the pills in no time and then have to face day 1 all over again. We also came clean to our doctor it was very important he knew what we were doing so that we can't just go back and get more, he had us call our dentist and surgeons to tell them we could not accept any narcotics from them and if they were necessary they were to call him and he would take care of any pain management that needed to be done. This accomplished two things its now in our files at their office that they cant prescribe narcotics and gave us an outlet in case of a real emergency by going through him and him alone it is also noted in his files that we were abusing the pills we were getting so he and his office are well aware of our problem. As far a felling normal we started seeing some improvement around the 4th day but as I said were not really better physically until about 7 days in. Hpe this helps you can do this if you want to, and please want to it is that important. Stay strong!

Thank you so much! this is such a help to know so many have gone through it and made it. I agree with not sitting on the couch..I found myself doing that yesterday feeling sorry for myself, ashamed, etc..but then I made myself get up and make it to a board meeting...not easy, but I was so annoyed and angry that I was letting some stupid little pill (or lack thereof) keep me from my obligations.

Winnie: One suggestion you should start your own thread I am using mine I have two (My Wife and I decided to quit Percocet/Oxymorphone CT and My Wife and I decided to quit Percocet/Oxymorphone CT III) as journals I have printed the first thread and will do the same for the second when I think it is ready and put them in a binder. As someday when I get brave enough I plan on sharing them both with my sons (21 and 24) to show them how easy it is to get hooked on this stuff. The other reason is we really shouldn't hijack GKAZ's thread as he/she might want to do the same using this as a reminder of their experiences when quitting. It's easy enough just go to forum and hit start new thread.

Great idea!

No problem with hijacking the thread. Have any of you experienced any itching after going through withdrawal? I have bouts of itching that seem to come and go.