Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sirf
Day 3 Oxycontin Cold Turkey
    sirf is offline New Member

Default Day 3 Oxycontin Cold Turkey

Hey everyone, somewhat new to this forum (but just registered) but there was a lot of encouraging stuff being said so I thought I'd make myself and situation known...

I'm 30 years old and I've been on oxycontin for years...more years than I'm should have been, probably closing in on 7 now... It started when I got a lot of tooth aches (didn't take amazing care of my teeth as a child, and my dental coverage is mediocre at best) and my father who was prescribed them for serious back pain had given me some. The pain relief was stellar, but the high it gave me was also really tempting in a time in my life when everything seemed broken... My mother had just died (was a real mama's boy), leaving me to take care of my little sister who was still in a first year in middle school (my dad is seriously disabled so I had most of the public and private parental duties regarding her), also had to manage the family finances which was a rough ride at first learning that we were actually behind on property taxes (almost lost the house!) and a number of other problems.

It was a quick way to feel good, and god did I want to feel good. It gave me that push I needed to look happy in front of everyone, and make all the important phone calls, go the places I needed to go, and get what needed to get done done. Little did I realize, 7 years have lapsed since then, and I'm still taking these damn things. Only I stopped taking them for the high quite a while ago... I was just taking them to feel "normal", just to banish the withdrawal symptoms I felt waking up in the morning and later in the day, with a slight pick-me-up. I was afraid to take too much; it was the one sensible thing I did, keeping myself on half a 30mg oxycodone and a quarter of a 80mg oxycontin throughout the day, and never increasing beyond that point. So as far as many abusers (or even regular prescribed users) are concerned, I'm on the low end. But the thought of getting off them terrified me. I'd heard so many horror stories about opiate withdrawal.

Anyway, the day before yesterday. I took my last pills, did some things, then went to sleep. The next morning when the withdrawal symptoms came, I decided enough was enough, stomached the withdrawal symptoms and flushed what pills I had down the toilet because I was afraid my willpower might not be strong enough to resist the temptation. I'd only ever gone about a day through withdrawal before now and remember the torture it felt (was an accident), always making sure to not let that happen again.

So here I am, some 3 days in, I'm feeling like >>>> as you might expect. My limbs want to move on their own, I can't sleep -- when I lay down, I'm literally compelled to move constantly like some sort of restless limb syndrome. This strong feeling builds up in my chest and my limbs and if I don't move, it becomes a serious ache such that I feel like I'll die if I don't obey. I must look like a crazy person to anyone who catches a glimpse of me. I heard about gabapentin which I had access to (again, the tooth thing. it did help with the nerve pain). So I tried a few of those and the withdrawal symptoms did appear to tone down a few degrees. They're still there, but I feel a bit more comfortable. The problem with me and gabapentin is this thing really wrecks me. I've heard people get high on this stuff but all it does to me is make my limbs feel heavy and for 12 hours after the primary effects, I'm just constantly tired and groggy. But I'll gladly take the gabapentin feels over the full brunt of the opiate withdrawal. I'm going to keep chugging forth, I hope the determination I've built lasts until the symptoms die down... I really, really want this nightmare to be over with...

The things you guys have said to others have really uplifted me, and given me extra courage I probably really needed. I kinda just wanted to tell my story to someone, anyone who would listen... I can't bring myself to be honest with my friends and family about this... Every day I feel like I'm lying to everyone. I'm not who they think I am. They respect me and I don't feel like I've earned that respect at all, so the guilt is immense. Whenever that thought comes up, I literally want to break down and cry. It's been so many years, I don't even remember what 'normal' feels like, and that's one of the reasons I decided to do this. I want to see my happy little sister (she recently got engaged) and my friends with the eyes of who I really am, not the glassed over eyes of someone who's high all the time.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, I hope anyone going through similar pains are able to beat this as well.
    rough times likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirf View Post
    Hey everyone, somewhat new to this forum (but just registered) but there was a lot of encouraging stuff being said so I thought I'd make myself and situation known...

I'm 30 years old and I've been on oxycontin for years...more years than I'm should have been, probably closing in on 7 now... It started when I got a lot of tooth aches (didn't take amazing care of my teeth as a child, and my dental coverage is mediocre at best) and my father who was prescribed them for serious back pain had given me some. The pain relief was stellar, but the high it gave me was also really tempting in a time in my life when everything seemed broken... My mother had just died (was a real mama's boy), leaving me to take care of my little sister who was still in a first year in middle school (my dad is seriously disabled so I had most of the public and private parental duties regarding her), also had to manage the family finances which was a rough ride at first learning that we were actually behind on property taxes (almost lost the house!) and a number of other problems.

It was a quick way to feel good, and god did I want to feel good. It gave me that push I needed to look happy in front of everyone, and make all the important phone calls, go the places I needed to go, and get what needed to get done done. Little did I realize, 7 years have lapsed since then, and I'm still taking these damn things. Only I stopped taking them for the high quite a while ago... I was just taking them to feel "normal", just to banish the withdrawal symptoms I felt waking up in the morning and later in the day, with a slight pick-me-up. I was afraid to take too much; it was the one sensible thing I did, keeping myself on half a 30mg oxycodone and a quarter of a 80mg oxycontin throughout the day, and never increasing beyond that point. So as far as many abusers (or even regular prescribed users) are concerned, I'm on the low end. But the thought of getting off them terrified me. I'd heard so many horror stories about opiate withdrawal.

Anyway, the day before yesterday. I took my last pills, did some things, then went to sleep. The next morning when the withdrawal symptoms came, I decided enough was enough, stomached the withdrawal symptoms and flushed what pills I had down the toilet because I was afraid my willpower might not be strong enough to resist the temptation. I'd only ever gone about a day through withdrawal before now and remember the torture it felt (was an accident), always making sure to not let that happen again.

So here I am, some 3 days in, I'm feeling like >>>> as you might expect. My limbs want to move on their own, I can't sleep -- when I lay down, I'm literally compelled to move constantly like some sort of restless limb syndrome. This strong feeling builds up in my chest and my limbs and if I don't move, it becomes a serious ache such that I feel like I'll die if I don't obey. I must look like a crazy person to anyone who catches a glimpse of me. I heard about gabapentin which I had access to (again, the tooth thing. it did help with the nerve pain). So I tried a few of those and the withdrawal symptoms did appear to tone down a few degrees. They're still there, but I feel a bit more comfortable. The problem with me and gabapentin is this thing really wrecks me. I've heard people get high on this stuff but all it does to me is make my limbs feel heavy and for 12 hours after the primary effects, I'm just constantly tired and groggy. But I'll gladly take the gabapentin feels over the full brunt of the opiate withdrawal. I'm going to keep chugging forth, I hope the determination I've built lasts until the symptoms die down... I really, really want this nightmare to be over with...

The things you guys have said to others have really uplifted me, and given me extra courage I probably really needed. I kinda just wanted to tell my story to someone, anyone who would listen... I can't bring myself to be honest with my friends and family about this... Every day I feel like I'm lying to everyone. I'm not who they think I am. They respect me and I don't feel like I've earned that respect at all, so the guilt is immense. Whenever that thought comes up, I literally want to break down and cry. It's been so many years, I don't even remember what 'normal' feels like, and that's one of the reasons I decided to do this. I want to see my happy little sister (she recently got engaged) and my friends with the eyes of who I really am, not the glassed over eyes of someone who's high all the time.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, I hope anyone going through similar pains are able to beat this as well.
    Welcome to the forum. Have you read about The Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawals? Here's a link - https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

You can use the items listed in the recipe but do not use the benzos unless you are already prescribed them. Also bananas and/or a potassium supplement can help with RLS. There is also a OTC supplement called Hyland's Restful Legs that may help with the RLS as well? Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water and gatorade. Avoid caffeine for a while as well! Stay the course, this time next week you will feel much better! Keep us updated? Take care... God bless us all!

rough times is offline New Member

Hi there sirf;

I can really relate to what you are saying, i am in the same boat as you. I, though, was a very high dosage user of oxycodone, at one point snorting 500 mg/day!!!! In 1 1/2 hours I will be comencing my 5th day oxycodone free!! I know exactly whst you are going through. I have gone through hell in the last 4 days but i can se the light, just have to hang in there for another 4 days or so and i should be starting to feel like a human being!! The w/d for me are really bad. I read that some people call it a bad flu.... A really bad flu if you ask me!!! Today i went to my doctor, and believe me, i went in with full intentions of telling him that i was continuing with my cold turkey w/d, by the time i walked in, i thought that i might get one more prescription since i am suffering so bad. Well, i am proud to say that i walked out without a prescription for oxy!!!
    My suggestion to you is stick with it, you will get over this soon, and feel so much better when you do. I would, though, suggest that you at least talk to someone close to you that would understand. You need the support!!! Which you will also get here. Hang in there, if i can do this with the high dosage, you can do this too!!!! To oxycotin free life!!!